Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

During which time they'll wonder aloud why everyone was pushing them so hard to get smoke bombs.

More likely that they realize how good flashbangs are and think they're what we were referring to, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dr Christmas posted:

During which time they'll wonder aloud why everyone was pushing them so hard to get smoke bombs.

I stand by my lobbyist money.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So now Nat and Tea know why we all pushed to get the new armor....the extra HP is nice, sure, but the extra item slots? Those are a way better investment than anything in the GTS short of Squad size upgrades!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

jng2058 posted:

So now Nat and Tea know why we all pushed to get the new armor....the extra HP is nice, sure, but the extra item slots? Those are a way better investment than anything in the GTS short of Squad size upgrades!

I actually think that if they'd moused over the locked item slot on the squad screen it would even have said so.

Though frankly I think magnetic weapons is better to get first regardless. It's such a good damage buff, even though it doesn't help your grenadiers or sniping.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Flashbang Capacitator Serpent Suit Panic combo for the win :v: Nicely done so far, very smooth.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Shooting at a target doesn't break shutdown; the turret was able to act because stun and shutdown are measured in actions instead of rounds, so Shutdown 1 means a unit can move or shoot on its next turn, shutdown 2 means it can't do either, shutdown 3 means it's out one turn and then can only move or shoot, etc.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Bremen posted:

Shooting at a target doesn't break shutdown; the turret was able to act because stun and shutdown are measured in actions instead of rounds, so Shutdown 1 means a unit can move or shoot on its next turn, shutdown 2 means it can't do either, shutdown 3 means it's out one turn and then can only move or shoot, etc.

This is one of the things that I really wish was shown in the UI - duration of debuffs is very important and there's no way to see it after they're applied, or to see the units it uses even when they are applied.

It would be nice if they went away at the end of the enemy turn rather than the start, at least, but I guess that would be a big change to hacking/mind control.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 28, 2019

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Bremen posted:

[...] stun and shutdown are measured in actions instead of rounds, so Shutdown 1 means a unit can move or shoot on its next turn, shutdown 2 means it can't do either, shutdown 3 means it's out one turn and then can only move or shoot, etc.

Holy poo poo I completed the game and never realized this. I just learned not to trust the counter after a robot I thought was still shut down killed my self-insert character.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
It's fun to see how much more they're enjoying the game since learning how to turn bad situations into awesome ones.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's amusing to see Nat and Tea go through what we all did with our first X(-)Com...the inverse difficulty curve. The games are usually balls crushingly hard to start with but get progressively easier, especially if you play well (which our boys mostly have so far), as your technology and character ranks accelerate faster than the increasing alien difficulty, especially on Normal difficulty.

That said, it'll be fun seeing them deal with an Archon who gets to actually DO something rather than just freeze and die, to say nothing of the Chryssalids and Sectopods to come!

This is probably one of my favorite Let's Plays ever! :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So how many new alien encounters is that now where it can be summed up as "that guy looked nasty, I wonder what he was going to do before he died?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All of them since the invention of the frost grenade.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://youtu.be/8DFTTsyZFRA

Hey guys I'm out right now but this is the new episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just to reiterate since it came up a couple of videos ago, the game tweaks a few die rolls in the player's favor if things are going badly but it doesn't strongarm them. The enemy might have a 5 or 10% worse chance to hit if you've been losing guys but that doesn't make a massive lucky string of dodges not worth celebrating.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Re: Hacking. Remember that the Skulljack boosts your hacking. Even with Emi sidelined, giving the 'jack to Ella would have helped her on the hacks she was doing this mission.

Annoying McAnnoying is Central Officer Bradford.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For "do units need different amounts to promote" each unit promotes at the same number of kills. However, units also gain fractional kills when someone else kills an alien (regardless of whether they directly contributed, it's squad-wide not an assist reward) and that differs by class. A fractional kill is between 1/3 and 1/5 of a personal kill, weighted so that units more likely to be doing the killing need more ally kills to count, probably to try and keep everyone leveling at similar rates.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It seems in character for a mission to run flawlessly up until the rookie gets himself hospitalized by running up to the last enemy to stab him in the brain and getting his dumb rear end electrocuted :allears:

Also I say research Elyrium

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Shanty Pete demands berserker power

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

vorebane posted:

Shanty Pete demands berserker power

Does Overdrive Serum get one use per game for each one built, or one use per mission?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yay, the mimic beacon got used! As I noted, under a spoiler I believe, I like mimic beacons not because they're a staple combat item but because they're basically a "get out of jail free" card when things go wrong, and sooner or later they will.

I favor berserker autopsy entirely for flavor reasons.

Loel posted:

Does Overdrive Serum get one use per game for each one built, or one use per mission?

You have to build a new one, but the bonuses are hilarious and using it doesn't cost an action.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Loel posted:

The first. Otherwise it wouldn't need to mention it, see grenades for an example of once per mission. I never get any of those "one use" items, just doesn't seem like a good deal.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Qrr posted:

The first. Otherwise it wouldn't need to mention it, see grenades for an example of once per mission. I never get any of those "one use" items, just doesn't seem like a good deal.

Yeah I never built one either. Might be worth seeing once though for Shanty Pete, even if it's not optimal play.

Beserker autopsy

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

It's actually just me pronouncing "wary" wrong.
Goddamn, that's been bothering me for the entire LP and Tea just notices it now!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Research the plot. It's kinda silly if you run into Gatekeepers before the actual - wonderfully creepy - Gate mission; this has happened in my last WotC playthrough and it really ruins the effect.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

anilEhilated posted:

Research the plot. It's kinda silly if you run into Gatekeepers before the actual - wonderfully creepy - Gate mission; this has happened in my last WotC playthrough and it really ruins the effect.

This is a good point and idea. Research plot.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Agreed. Plot

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

anilEhilated posted:

Good point. Changing to Plot

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.strawpoll.me/17706001

Please use the strawpoll!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a little note about promotions: You can tell whether a soldier has earned a promotion in the current mission. In the lower left corner, in front of their name, they have the badge that shows their class and rank. There will be a + icon next to the badge if they have a promotion coming up. Ma got hers when she finished off that Viper.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Man Whore was a callback to Jade Star's LP and looked just as silly there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey everyone! I'm looking for weapon names!

We have:

Shanty Pete's Shotgun.

Severa's Shotgun

California and Ma's Sniper Rifle.

Ella's Rifle

Kerath's Minigun

Funky's Minigun

No real formal voting, just suggest names and +1 the ones that you like and I'll rename to ones which get decent popular support.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ella uses her rifle to send aliens to the Ever After.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Natural 20 posted:

Shanty Pete's Shotgun.

Severa's Shotgun

Ella's Rifle

Kerath's Minigun

Funky's Minigun

In order, with minimal effort or thought:

Yo-ho-HOLY poo poo

Weeb Waifu Weapon

California State Constitution

[some disney pun, idk]

The Und'niable

Lychee Lacerator

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I like a lot of GX's names, but they won't all fit the character limit. Which is... *checks notes* 11 characters. Unless it's more after you get DLC!

Ma's main weapon is of course, Grandpappy's Elephant Gun. But since that won't fit let's just call it the Grandpappy Gun!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SatansOnion posted:

+1 for this one.

Also +1 for just "Und'niable" as Keraf's weapon, that one will fit just fine.

Could Pete's weapon fit if you take out some spaces? "YoHoHOLYSH-"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

goddammit somebody please tell me the DLC gives you longer gun names cause I just came up with "Tsunderringer" for Severa

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SatansOnion posted:

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Shanty Pete's Shotgun.
Honestly, I'm thinking just keep this simple. The YoHoHo.

Severa's Shotgun
:sever:

The Forty-Niner,

Ella's Rifle
The Ice Sickle.

Kerath's Minigun
The Rooty Tooty Point 'N' Shooty.

Funky's Minigun
The Funky Barrel.