Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Have any of your coworkers recentlyade bad chocies GGGC? Ours haven’t made BWM choices yet, but it’s been a bit since someone made the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I heard a coworker bragging about she turned down a raise and a bonus to avoid the next tax bracket. She complains endlessly about how she does not get paid enough.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I heard a coworker bragging about she turned down a raise and a bonus to avoid the next tax bracket. She complains endlessly about how she does not get paid enough.

What form was she expecting the additional pay to take???

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Xenocides posted:

You should send her the link to how progressive taxation works, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJhsjUPDulw&t=3s

Don't chuckle until shes not looking, or at the very least looking glum or crying

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

spwrozek posted:

That is crazy. I literally just had to come in, give them some money, sign, and drive away.
I tried Shift, and they bring the car to your doorstep, let you test drive it, and then you decide if you want to buy it or not. Only the first couple of test drives are free, but still, pretty nice. I think they make their money through BWM financing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Xenocides posted:

People this dumb deserve what they get.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tater_salad posted:

3 spots for bwm bingo.

Mustang, cash advance from cc (3 actually),. negative equity.

Yep let's use a highest interest rate available for a loan.

This guy is turning down two weeks of income because it’s too hard to deal with a bank in a private sale.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This guy is turning down two weeks of income because it’s too hard to deal with a bank in a private sale.

"My thought process goes like this: although I could earn a bit more from a private sale, I don't want the burden of dealing with the bank and a private seller, nor do I really want to spare the time doing this outside of work, so it's a small price to pay for the ease."

So this guy is why all of those fast food delivery services exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yep, spending money to save time is why most people drive instead of walking in the first place.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I still kinda regret selling my car to CarMax instead of private. I was working out of town and didn't feel like I could coordinate the whole deal and probably lost a grand or two, and I could have done it. Yet somehow I was able to sell it them for a loss and got a personal loan for the difference with my credit union. I hope that's bad enough with money to avoid a probe!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Doing a trade in lets you reduce the taxable sales price on your new vehicle by the value of the trade in, so that is also something to consider.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Private sells are terrible. I give poo poo away to avoid Craigslist.

Was the guy who sold a car that broke down and then found his car covered in super-glued pennies from this thread? Yeah, I'll just take the trade-in value thanks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Subjunctive posted:

Yep, spending money to save time is why most people drive instead of walking in the first place.

Nnnno? It's because jobs are usually really far away from residences, so are functionally impossible to get to by walking?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

crazypeltast52 posted:

Doing a trade in lets you reduce the taxable sales price on your new vehicle by the value of the trade in, so that is also something to consider.

You can still collect that benefit if you sell your old car privately. In my state and probably others, if you bring documents for another vehicle sold within 180 days when you register your new car, they’ll deduct the value from your sales tax.

If your old car hasn’t sold by the time your new car needs registered, you can file for a partial tax refund, but theres more paperwork, so I always try to sell my old car before my new temporary tags expire.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was the guy who sold a car that broke down and then found his car covered in super-glued pennies from this thread? Yeah, I'll just take the trade-in value thanks.

It depends a lot on where you are and what car you’re trying to unload.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

This is not true in all states.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ha, yeah this was a guy I know, but avoiding with Craigslist definitely seems wise. He wasn't even selling the car, he sold a large batch of stuff on Craigslist to a single guy (cough cough marijuana growing equipment), and 1 cheap item out of 25+ things didn't work. Offered the guy a full refund for that one item but the weirdo demanded his money back for everything, which my friend declined, and then he got glued.

The super glued bobby pins in the ignition was the real "gently caress you" though, he couldn't even start the car. Since then he bought a fresh ignition switch for $12 or something and installed it himself (GWM?), but he still has to hold up the old key next to the ignition while he starts it with the brand new key, to avoid the security alarm going off forever (or until he quits being a cheap bastard and goes to the dealership to get it reprogrammed properly, which I am pretty sure will never happen).

I would have to find a "Bad with Life" thread to post more details about his recent trials and tribulations, it is far beyond money. tl;dr he wanted to go into a detox facility for a few weeks but his entire livelyhood would be dead by then, so he found a homeless meth head to take care of his crop, which ultimately lead to him calling 9/11 after he got out and they had some incident. For some reason "oops nevermind I'm OK now!" to the 9/11 operator wasn't enough to keep the cops from kicking his door in. On the plus side, he learned the hard way that the maximum fine for growing massively illegal amounts of weed in one of the most liberal towns in Colorado is only ~$2500, and probably will be $0 with a little community service and some other odds and ends. The probation officer actually suggested he microdose psychedellics to help with depression.
:fsmug:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Craigslist is tolerable if you only use a Google Voice number so you can filter communication, and never ever meet on home turf. I always meet at the well-lit gas station that gives cops free snacks.

I’ll take craigslist over facebook swap groups any day.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The dude here, who's too lazy to go to the bank to potentially save a few grand, is not in a position where his time is worth more than money.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

eddiewalker posted:

Craigslist is tolerable if you only use a Google Voice number so you can filter communication, and never ever meet on home turf. I always meet at the well-lit gas station that gives cops free snacks.

Our local PD has "internet sales" parking spaces in their visitor lot, at least at their HQ. Not sure about their other stations but I would expect the same.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sadus posted:

The probation officer actually suggested he microdose psychedellics to help with depression.
:fsmug:

HondaRider got a job as a probation officer?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Weatherman posted:

HondaRider got a job as a probation officer?

There's actually growing evidence of microdosing having clinical use when it comes to addiction. HondaRider is gonna get the last laugh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Micro dosing for depression and other mental illnesses goes way back. The dude who synthesized LSD was researching psychedelics for those uses. Of course the research stopped cold when they got classified as schedule 1 narcotics.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you really want to they pissed read up on what makes a drug schedule 1 vs 2 etc. Then read about what that means for researchers.

It’s also why cocaine (a drug with recognized medical uses) is less bad in the eyes of the law than crack (a drug with no recognized medical use)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cyrano4747 posted:

Micro dosing for depression and other mental illnesses goes way back. The dude who synthesized LSD was researching psychedelics for those uses. Of course the research stopped cold when they got classified as schedule 1 narcotics.

There's been a new push with some clinical trials within the last few years. John Hopkins is always doing something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm632761.htm

(es)ketamine approved by FDA as a nasal spray to treat depression. So it's already here :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s also why cocaine (a drug with recognized medical uses) is less bad in the eyes of the law than crack (a drug with no recognized medical use)

It was so weird seeing cocaine as an itemized charge on my nose surgery.

It was also pretty cheap so it was either a very small dose or it’d been stepped on.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was so weird seeing cocaine as an itemized charge on my nose surgery.

It was also pretty cheap so it was either a very small dose or it’d been stepped on.

Nah, it's cuz it's off patent

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Somewhere in my parent's basement is my great grandfather's license to dispense cocaine (he was a dentist in the 20's)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

eddiewalker posted:

Yep, been doing this for a long time, never once had an issue. Buying and selling. Cars, car parts, misc stuff, tools, indoor tomato growing stuff.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lol.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

There's been a new push with some clinical trials within the last few years. John Hopkins is always doing something.

I think John Hopkins is only testing psilocybin for the time being. There's still way too much cultural baggage associated with LSD.

Probably more interesting stuff going on in Europe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

OMG, I was at this party and they only had generic cocaine. It was so mortifying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm632761.htm

(es)ketamine approved by FDA as a nasal spray to treat depression. So it's already here :)

I’m wondering how well insufflation will work, the best results from traditional ketamine are by monitored IV infusion, but maybe along with reducing the hallucinogenic effects it was designed to pass through the mucus membrane more efficiently. The insufflation also had the issue of being the full dose at once rather than being suspended over a half hour to 45 minutes so the come up and come down could be really rough. With the slower administration they could monitor pulse and blood oxygen, which is good because breathing depression could occur. They could also push zofran in the event of nausea.

IV ketamine, while obscenely expensive, saved my wife’s life.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m wondering how well insufflation will work, the best results from traditional ketamine are by monitored IV infusion, but maybe along with reducing the hallucinogenic effects it was designed to pass through the mucus membrane more efficiently. The insufflation also had the issue of being the full dose at once rather than being suspended over a half hour to 45 minutes so the come up and come down could be really rough. With the slower administration they could monitor pulse and blood oxygen, which is good because breathing depression could occur. They could also push zofran in the event of nausea.

I didn’t look at a line item bill but they gave this to my wife during her c-section. How much are you talking?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm curious as well. Looking at Medscape it looks like adverse reactions are mainly on consciousness, nausea/vomiting, and elevated BP. Of course they're not apples and oranges, but the nasal spray dose looks lower than the IV dose (56mg-84mg as low as 14mg per spray vs up to 1mg/kg for IV) and esketamine may have slightly less effect on respiration as well, so that could account for it. Insurance plans are 100% stupid, so we had a lot of IV chemo patients at the cancer center who had to get oral zofran from the pharmacy to take before their chemo infusions at the hospital; I wouldn't be surprised if esketamine patients pre-med with zofran and/or get their sprays over a longer period at least for the first visit or two.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ketamine costs me $6 per 10ml vial (I use it to heavily sedate or anesthetize dogs and cats). Why on earth would it be that expensive?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dr. Chaco posted:

Ketamine costs me $6 per 10ml vial (I use it to heavily sedate or anesthetize dogs and cats). Why on earth would it be that expensive?

Because it's a ~4hr infusion in a doctor's office/infusion center with attendant monitoring and not covered by any insurance because it's not FDA-approved for depression treatment. There aren't that many places that will administer it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Vox Nihili posted:

What form was she expecting the additional pay to take???

I have no idea. Gift cards?

Risky Bisquick posted:

You should send her the link to how progressive taxation works, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJhsjUPDulw&t=3s

Don't chuckle until shes not looking, or at the very least looking glum or crying

Nah, I do not really like her. Plus the department has limited money for raises this year so it may work to my advantage.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

When I was trying to buy a car, I found one on craigslist.

Me: Hey, I'm interested. Can we schedule time to have it checked out by a mechanic.
:jerkbag:: Yes, go ahead and schedule a time with a local mechanic.
Me: Ok, how about [day], [time].
:jerkbag:: How am I supposed to live without having a car during [day], [time]?
Me: What day and time would work for you?
:jerkbag:: *silence*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I posted this in the legal advice thread but thought it belonged here too

How Sovereign Citizens Helped Swindle $1 Billion From the Government They Disavow https://nyti.ms/2CJ6ptL