Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How can I actually isolate single enemies to train up my combat and assassination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jarvisi posted:

How can I actually isolate single enemies to train up my combat and assassination?
For assassination, you can just sneak around towns at night and smack stragglers in the back of the head. The target doesn't actually have to be hostile, they just can't belong to your squad. Sleeping people are valid targets, by the way.

For making your own Thunderdome, just grab a few unconscious bandits, patch them up, and stick them in cages until they heal. Repeat as necessary until swole.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
prisoners can also be used for assassination training

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For training kung-fu fighting in Rebirth, should I wear the armor I took off the guards so it takes longer for them to beat me down? The starvation penalties mean that even without weapons they're knocking me out too fast to get much MA training in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Lone Badger posted:

For training kung-fu fighting in Rebirth, should I wear the armor I took off the guards so it takes longer for them to beat me down? The starvation penalties mean that even without weapons they're knocking me out too fast to get much MA training in.
What kind of armor are they wearing? If there are maluses to dodging, defense, combat or martial arts on it (which can happen) you might better off without it at low skill levels.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If the HN vs. Shek hostility is recent, then it's just a natural result of being right smack dab next to the most belligerent race in Kenshi. I really think that the Shek shot first, but unlike the UC who are willing to put aside generations of war (at Esata's behest) if it means they can line their pockets now, the nature of the HN meant that their side of the war was now a neverending crusade.

For me though, the more intriguing theory is that the animosity between the two comes from way beyond even the HN's establishment, back in the days of the Second Empire. Some of the Skeletons in the Black Desert City address Shek as 'enforcers', after all. It might be possible that the roots of the HN came at the arse end of the Second Empire, when they were just a religious movement that proto-Shek enforcers put down, possibly at the behest of tyrannical Skeleton leaders like Cat-Lon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just had a Shek Kingdom punch-me-in-the-face-for-not-paying-taxes raid and a Band of Bones punch-me-in-the-face-because-they're-assholes raid arrive within hours of each other. Beat them down with only a minimum of bedtime needed, plus now I have their armor, so I'm feeling confident about making an actual raid team out of my unwieldy party where half a dozen people have nothing to do at any given time.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Level up your stealth + assassination and just disarm them all. The AI is too dumb to pick up weapons of the ground.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I still find it funny that Anti-Slavers are probably some of the most powerful characters you will meet in Kenshi. Get one of their patrols to follow you, and they will likely destroy anything that even looks at you funny. (That is if their AI doesn't make them pick up a weapon so they switch to their mediocre weapon skills instead of their sky high MA)

Also, the Anti-Slavers are probably the most genuinely "good" faction in Kenshi world, even though some of their leaders might not think of any potential consequences of their actions:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Figures that an idealistic skeleton would be the one to forget that people need to eat.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, when the bandits actually starve it'll at least alleviate the problem.

If the starving people are cannibals maybe it can even solve the whole problem!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Everything we get about Tinfist seems to indicate that he's a really nice guy, but also sort of a loving moron

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

Put your shackles on the enemy guards to further cripple them. There's a sweet spot for training MA because at too low levels, you get a lot of EXP but you don't have access to the strong attacks, so the +8 for fighting indoors is something to consider. 20 MA is the real sweet spot for actually winning a fight against the guards, so just make sure all your indoor bonus and all your penalties keep you around that range. Also consider just fighting a guard outside (preferably on the roof of a prison building) and just using block mode to powerlevel dodge to give you an even bigger advantage that's a little more reliable to level than MA.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
lmao at this thread saying the holy nation "isn't that bad"

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
goddammit, finally got my 3 guys and gals out of the swamp slaver camp (rip Cat, poor little guy was no match for their crossbow turret), got my slave status cooled down and made it safely into... Reaver country. After getting banged up and captured i manage to scurry away to Brink where we were all put in jail again. I guess the UC doesnt care who i was a slave of?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I mean it's not compared to the majority of big factions because Kenshi is a hell world

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Blade Runner posted:

Everything we get about Tinfist seems to indicate that he's a really nice guy, but also sort of a loving moron

I think him and Cat-Lon was definitely some sort of "The Brains and The Brawn" situation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's more "the brawn and the brawn." His stats are kind of hilarious, but then, so are Cat-Lon's.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So i'm thinking about buying this, beyond the performance mods what qol mods should i be installing for first time play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know what, just because people ask for this, here is a list of all the mods I have currently installed. I have tested them and recommend all of them. The names are mostly self-explanatory, but I particularly recommend the ones for more money in shops, more items in shops, the better map, and DarkUI, which actually makes things readable.

code:
Reactive World.mod
DefensiveGates.mod
Copper Mines.mod
alternateCrafting.mod
ModPack.mod
Newwworld Plus.mod
Sho-Battai walls.mod
The Chosen One.mod
Training Dummies.mod
Storage Plus.mod
Peeler Machine.mod
Dark UI.mod
Comfortable Backpacks.mod
kenshi content add on.mod
cement test.mod
World Mechanic.mod
The Juggernaut.mod
The Forgotten Ones.mod
Taxman Relations plus.mod
TameBeasties.mod
SwampStructures.mod
SimpleStart.mod
Salvage Materials.mod
SWWWUUURRRDDDSSS.mod
Ruin Restoration.mod
RobLimbCraft.mod
Plateform and more.mod
More Plastic Surgeons.mod
Mindoors.mod
MedicalPrisonerBed.mod
InteriorConstruction.mod
Guild of Surgeons.mod
Bury Your Treasure.mod
Belts and stuff.mod
ArchBridge.mod
ABSOLVER.mod
In-Game Biome Map.mod
Extended Camping.mod
storage.mod
shops have more items +.mod
Small Research Bench1-6.mod
IndustrialRevolution.mod
Resource Node Restoration.mod
training_swords_gariba.mod
Wandering Squads_Engine.mod
Robotic Limb Crafting - No Research Costs.mod
Mine Anywhere (Drill Edition).mod
Brave New World.mod
Wandering Squads_Recruitables.mod
Reset Relations Bot.mod
NoArmorPenalty.mod
Kenshicons.mod
HN Outlaws.mod
Paradise Falls Slavers Edition.mod
Slaver Action Pack.mod
more building.mod
UBER Cannibalism.mod
StorageSheds.mod
Nice Map [Zones + Zone names].mod
New Weapons Dissemination Mod.mod
Minor Faction Pacifiers.mod
MedicalBeds.mod
Let's Talk.mod
Interior Design.mod
Idle Training.mod
Hive Queen.mod
City Builers+.mod
Biomass Powerplant.mod
Better Mercenaries.mod
Bag of Holding.mod
Animal Traders.mod
Advanced Training.mod
BetterHomemade.mod
Better Smiths and Homemade Weapons.mod
Players Slavery.mod

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Some mods I use.

Guardpost is fantastic for positioning guys near your gate
Guards for the Hub
Better crop fences
Baka Things (of course)
Tame Beasties
Spooning (2 people per sleeping bag for faster recovery)
Skeletal Limb Storage (there didnt seem to be a place in vanilla to auto store limbs after crafting)
Use the Roads (when you send guys on a selling trip they will take roads rather than straight across dangerous lands)
Recruitable Prisoners
Extended Campsite
City Farming (a little OP but still useful)
Copper Drills
Martial Village is cool, adds a few quests, a place to train MA and you can buy this sweet white tiger

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Play it vanilla for a while then start adding mods. The game has a very specific balance and pacing with vanilla and you should experience that at least once

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ugh gently caress I guess I gotta update Steady if no one actually uses him.

Where is a hilarious place to put ClownTown, that not a lot of other mods would use? I'm thinking somewhere just lovely, like out on one of those islands or at the top of some peak in Arm of Okran

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Unwanted Zone, obviously

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah that really is the best place to dump clowns

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Clowns are fireproof therefore Venge is a suitable place for them.

e: or are they fire prone from all the alcohol they consume, I forget.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dump them anywhere near the baka things and it's all good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

these are all good suggestions, but I don't want to put them anywhere actually like, high level or end-game or anything. Just somewhere really annoying. You get him in Clownsteady so ideally it would be in the north, on the opposite side of the map. Maybe west of the Post-Ancient Workshop? There's nothing really out there...

Or like, out here past Crab World:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

these are all good suggestions, but I don't want to put them anywhere actually like, high level or end-game or anything. Just somewhere really annoying. You get him in Clownsteady so ideally it would be in the north, on the opposite side of the map. Maybe west of the Post-Ancient Workshop? There's nothing really out there...

I have a suggestion for a clown related quest if you are willing to go that far, I could message you or post it here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah sure go for it, you can post it in here if you want or message me, doesn't really matter. Quests in Kenshi really just amount to some dialogue unlocking more dialogue or a note telling you to go somewhere lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

There's a mod that adds settlements to those islands that's moderately popular i think

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well drat

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not even sure if its doable.
You could have a single clown in an empty town who sends you on a quest to kill a Beak Thing or a Crab.
He'd have a sob story about how this larger than normal creature came in and ate everyone and wants revenge.
But when dead splits open and all of these clowns pour out and populate the town.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I could definitely have a guy tell you to go somewhere and find something a mega-crab is guarding, or even put something in a special mega-crab's inventory, and them maybe tie that to the town takeover mechanic to repopulate the town. I don't think I could get a bunch of clowns to spawn on the crab though. Placing/spawning NPCs deliberately outside of a bar is actually a huge pain in the rear end.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao I could definitely have a guy tell you to go somewhere and find something a mega-crab is guarding, or even put something in a special mega-crab's inventory, and them maybe tie that to the town takeover mechanic to repopulate the town. I don't think I could get a bunch of clowns to spawn on the crab though. Placing/spawning NPCs deliberately outside of a bar is actually a huge pain in the rear end.

Put the crab in a bar

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah i figured it couldn't be done completely. But the crab is the clown car of the story.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Clowncrab

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

you could do that peninsula though, I don't think anything uses that peninsula. Like there's a mod that rebuilds the towns there, but I don't believe that it touches any of the non-town space

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
also you could just not gaf and add a ton of clown spawns to the whole island/region and then mods that mess with that region will have to contend with wandering hostile clown patrols or whatever and imo that might actually be funnier

Or if you have truly way too much time, get in touch with the reactive worlds guy or the guy who is reworking that mod and get them to help build a clown faction that wars against everything else. Reskinning and naming fogmen into clownmen might be easier though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they kidnap people and do clown tricks at them until their limbs fall off and they scream in agony