Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
removed

Solidarity to everyone that posts here looking for help or giving advice.

succ has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

you have my deepest sympathies. after everything I’ve heard, you’re a good person. I’m glad you’re looking for support, and this thread is always here for you.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chokes McGee posted:

you have my deepest sympathies. after everything I’ve heard, you’re a good person. I’m glad you’re looking for support, and this thread is always here for you.

Well said.

My heart goes out to you op

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

I’m sorry this happened. I’ve known more than a couple people who have probably narrowly missed this fate by finally getting help and I can only imagine what this must be like for you.

whether this kind of thing makes you (the thread) sad or mad or whatever, let something good come out of it - whether it’s fighting stigma of mental health problems, lending a hand or an ear or a shoulder to someone who really needs it, or just taking care of yourself. do something good. it’s the only thing I really feel like makes my time here worth while and I’ll never shut up about it.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

:(((((((((((((((((

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Ugato posted:

I’m sorry this happened. I’ve known more than a couple people who have probably narrowly missed this fate by finally getting help and I can only imagine what this must be like for you.

whether this kind of thing makes you (the thread) sad or mad or whatever, let something good come out of it - whether it’s fighting stigma of mental health problems, lending a hand or an ear or a shoulder to someone who really needs it, or just taking care of yourself. do something good. it’s the only thing I really feel like makes my time here worth while and I’ll never shut up about it.

Biggest thing I feel is anger at the whole system that failed her. She tried for years.

Thank you all.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I’ve decided to stay out of the trump thread indefinitely. it’ll suck not posting the lmaos with my posting pals but I just can’t do it anymore, it’s horrible to my daily mental health.

like one day removed and I already feel massively better and have like hours of real world time, I’ve weaved several test bands in the last three days, including a super long alphabet test that is now my cats favorite toy :3:

sticking to the Happy thread and Brexit from here on out. I may join the discord at some point so I can still talk to the regulars and get world news in small doses

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah I cut the trump thread and the climate change thread out of my rotation a while ago and never looked back. I still get angry at guillotine.txt and the economics thread, but they don't have the existential despair that was eating at me.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I'm taking a break from trump threads, too. It's scary how addictive and toxic constant outrage can be.

I have a small set of world news sites I read like Al Jazeera and BBC World. That way I feel like I'm not just sticking my head in the sand.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I’m kind of mad my last post in the thread didn’t get attention I spent a good 30 seconds coming up with it :mad:

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I used to find the Trump lol thread oddly cathartic, but it seems less so recently. Certain persons posting sentiments to the effect of "lol it owns that we're all going to be dead in twenty years because of global warming" sent me into a suicidal depressive period recently (more so than usual). I don't even look at the global warming thread or the guillotine thread any more. I had to stop looking at the political cartoons threads in D&D as well - there aren't enough non-lovely opinions posted there to ward off the unpleasantness.

The modern dilemma - I wish to be politically informed, but I also wish to avoid making myself ill. It's a difficult one. I am glad that Chokes McGee is having fun making things for his cat to bite, though. And I'm sorry to hear about succ and his sister. I wish I knew what else to say, I'm sorry.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I had to finally cut loose the lol Trump thread as well, after the Mueller poo poo it just became (understandably) a torrent of nothing matters nihilism and it was really affecting me mentally. It’s only been a few days and I’m already noticing a significant improvement in my mood! Sticking with just the happy thread, at least for now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah I cut the trump thread and the climate change thread out of my rotation a while ago and never looked back. I still get angry at guillotine.txt and the economics thread, but they don't have the existential despair that was eating at me.

I dropped the CC and Trump threads pretty quickly, and the guillotine one was agitating me until I got run out of it. I should probably lose the doomsday one, hmm.

treading water with my emotional health these days, but I don’t have the energy to do anything about it so I’ll just have to see how it turns out I guess.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Today I'm flying in something larger than a Cessna for the first time since 9/11, and I've been a loving nervous wreck about it for two days. I was convinced I was going to be on the no fly list or I'd get taken away for interrogation or something, but now I'm sitting at the gate and everything is fine. I hate getting myself worked up about this poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

great work doing it even though your brain was loving with you, though!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how in the gently caress do people have drugs and not use them. Like "yep that's enough, I am sufficiently hosed up now" or "nah I'm not feeling it right now"

drug feels good. More is gonna feel better. Even more is gonna feel even better. easiest poo poo in the world, I was very distressed and confused when I realized not everybody's brain works that way

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
hello, I've failed at "moderating" my drinking for the last 2 years because my brain does that too. once I start I pretty much don't stop until I don't feel anything which is not very sustainable

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Low Desert Punk posted:

how in the gently caress do people have drugs and not use them. Like "yep that's enough, I am sufficiently hosed up now" or "nah I'm not feeling it right now"

drug feels good. More is gonna feel better. Even more is gonna feel even better. easiest poo poo in the world, I was very distressed and confused when I realized not everybody's brain works that way

it’s not an explicit op rule (yet) but please keep stuff like this at a minimum. joking or not self medication is a huge problem among the mentally ill (see post under yours) and as dumb as someone coming into an SA thread and going gently caress YEAH THEURE ONTO SOMSTHING LETS SHOOT HEROIN would be there’s a lot of people in precarious positions that come through here.

thanks for your understanding~ :h:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Low Desert Punk posted:

i went from drinking until i passed out every night to not at all over the span of about two months when i started getting my brain zapped with magnets and taking wellbutrin. it just didn't do anything for me beyond make me feel sick.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’ve been really struggling with my retail job for the past year or so. I have a lifelong history of anxiety and depression, and this past year was especially hard for me. In August-September, I tried taking a manager position at work and I failed spectacularly. This was partially because of my unrealistic expectations for myself. My depression worsened, so I went into an outpatient program at a behavioral hospital for about a month. I learned a lot of things there, got prescribed some new medications, and I felt a lot better, at least until I returned to work. I took a less stressful position, but I am feeling the same way I did before getting help.

The only thing I can think of doing now is quitting my job. I’m trying hard to get a new one, but I’m not getting anywhere and I’m tired of feeling miserable all the time. I wanted to quit after the poo poo I had to deal with today. My store is going to have a “visit” (ie the company president comes to scrutinize the store)next week, and management is going nuts trying to make the store look nice. I have to make signs for all the displays. I’m having a hell of a time keeping up with it, and today one of my coworkers “accidentally” deleted my sign file. This person is always doing poo poo like this with my work, and I have had it with her. The customers are bad enough, I don’t need lovely coworkers too.

My dad understands what I want to do, but my mother insists I keep working until I get a new job. This is my first job. I’ve been at this company for 13 years, so I’m not a job hopper or anything like that. Losing my insurance would suck, but my state has expanded coverage with the ACA so I don’t think I would be without it for long. Plus I have money saved that I can live on for at least a year or so.

I know this a lot of words for a CSpam newbie, but I thought this was a good place to talk about it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

i went from drinking until i passed out every night to not at all over the span of about two months when i started getting my brain zapped with magnets and taking wellbutrin. it just didn't do anything for me beyond make me feel sick.

how’s trans cranial magnetation or whatever in the gently caress it’s called? I’ve heard people talk about it before and was always curious.

being stuck at a lovely job absolutely sucks. I’m not going to advise you to quit completely bc that’s not my place but you deffo need a change of scenery. what you’re dealing right now is called a Toxic Work Environment and it’s one of many things that put me in the hospital

capitalism sucks so you may have to take the least bad option but follow ur bliss if you can do so safely, otherwise at least get a job where your coworkers aren’t backstabbing loons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chokes McGee posted:

how’s trans cranial magnetation or whatever in the gently caress it’s called? I’ve heard people talk about it before and was always curious.

rTMS was pretty effective for me through two protocols, whose names I forget. the more modern one was painful due to trigeminal nerve stimulation, but still worth it.

if your insurance doesn’t cover it, and you can’t get into a trial, it can be big bucks though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It just made me involuntary bite down to the point that I picked up a mouth guard for the sessions. But I was doing a clinical study and they didn't get back to me about if I was getting the treatment proper or not. So I couldn't say if the treatment failed or if I wasn't treated.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

RandomPauI posted:

It just made me involuntary bite down to the point that I picked up a mouth guard for the sessions. But I was doing a clinical study and they didn't get back to me about if I was getting the treatment proper or not. So I couldn't say if the treatment failed or if I wasn't treated.

That seems sketchy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The disappointed about not getting better was real, but the check for $1000 was also real.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Mill Village posted:

The only thing I can think of doing now is quitting my job. I’m trying hard to get a new one, but I’m not getting anywhere and I’m tired of feeling miserable all the time. I wanted to quit after the poo poo I had to deal with today.

Job hunting is kind of a part-time job on its own, and it can be pretty stressful and demoralizing. Dealing with your regular job on top of that is really hard. I definitely understand how tempting it is to leave your current job so you can devote all your energy towards finding something better.

The only real advice I can offer is: don’t make a big decision like leaving your current job while you’re mad. Most workers (especially in retail) have days when quitting seems like a good idea. Sleep on it first, then consider it the next day with a clear head.

Good luck, friend. :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chokes McGee posted:

It was really for both depression and anxiety in my case. I went from being so anxious that I basically mentally and physically shut down for months to having no anxiety in any situation. It's worn off over the past couple of years, but I'm still largely not anxious at all outside of a few situations.

one of those situations is working, though, so not quite ideal :v:

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I feel lucky and grateful to be able to afford treatment for my anxiety, but I don’t think I could survive if I had zero anxiety whatsoever. I at least need a little existential dread in my life to get me out of bed. Is that bad?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

It was really for both depression and anxiety in my case. I went from being so anxious that I basically mentally and physically shut down for months to having no anxiety in any situation. It's worn off over the past couple of years, but I'm still largely not anxious at all outside of a few situations.

one of those situations is working, though, so not quite ideal :v:

I have heard it eventually wears off and that’s what I was curious about. I’ve heard everything from months to years.

mekyabetsu posted:

I feel lucky and grateful to be able to afford treatment for my anxiety, but I don’t think I could survive if I had zero anxiety whatsoever. I at least need a little existential dread in my life to get me out of bed. Is that bad?

nah, it’s called being human. as long as you have poo poo to do long term, plan, or be responsible for, you’ll have anxiety. plus humans are the only animal that can contemplate its own death

the key is whether or not it’s manageable or if it’s crippling

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mekyabetsu posted:

It's possible to actually be motivated to get out of bed because you are looking forward to the day.

Chokes McGee posted:

I have heard it eventually wears off and that’s what I was curious about. I’ve heard everything from months to years.

Yeah, you can do booster treatment things. I have no idea how well they work, though. I wasn't able to do one for the past year because of a physical health issue and I can't do one now because I can't afford transportation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

It's possible to actually be motivated to get out of bed because you are looking forward to the day.

Yeah, you can do booster treatment things. I have no idea how well they work, though. I wasn't able to do one for the past year because of a physical health issue and I can't do one now because I can't afford transportation.

magnetic transcranial transportation :v:

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

turn off the TV posted:

what the gently caress :confused:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Some days I'm super motivated at trying to repair my life and plan for the future but there are still these...moments...that hit me really hard where I'm just like gently caress this is all so pointless. Especially when drinking(which these days I do infrequently) I'll be hanging out with friends and laughing and then I get hit by that sense of dread or whatever it is and it completely kills my happy mood.

Overall I'm better and exercising, eating healthy etc but the bad moments feel so much worse than before when life was just one constant bad moment. It's weird, also the last time I saw my Doctor I said I was doing a lot better and right away he was talking about lowering meds which I 100% do not want to do. I know this forum in general has a very negative view on benzos(and for good reason) but the 1mg of Clonazepam has seemed to have helped a lot and I'd rather increase it than lower it...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So one of the psych meds that's been causing me issues with breathing turns out to have lactose in it, and it turns out I have a dairy allergy on top of lactose intolerance. So that's nice. That's...just...swell.

:sigh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hey I made a thing

thing is good imo

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Mar 31, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CODChimera posted:

Some days I'm super motivated at trying to repair my life and plan for the future but there are still these...moments...that hit me really hard where I'm just like gently caress this is all so pointless. Especially when drinking(which these days I do infrequently) I'll be hanging out with friends and laughing and then I get hit by that sense of dread or whatever it is and it completely kills my happy mood.

Overall I'm better and exercising, eating healthy etc but the bad moments feel so much worse than before when life was just one constant bad moment. It's weird, also the last time I saw my Doctor I said I was doing a lot better and right away he was talking about lowering meds which I 100% do not want to do. I know this forum in general has a very negative view on benzos(and for good reason) but the 1mg of Clonazepam has seemed to have helped a lot and I'd rather increase it than lower it...

some of this for me has always been once you know what life can be like suddenly what life was life is no longer acceptable, which makes it fall heavier when it does happen. being on a constant yo yo for pretty much all my life I can still tell you it suuuuuuucks when I suddenly decide to mood crash bc my brain just arbitrarily said gently caress you

stay on benzos they're wonderful for anti-anxiety. you need to tell your p-doc about your moments of dread, though. "Yup everything seems fine" doesn't help either of you.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i'm always reminding people to have low (realistic) expectations for me, i always let them know i dont know what i'm doing so they can feel free to correct me

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

some of this for me has always been once you know what life can be like suddenly what life was life is no longer acceptable, which makes it fall heavier when it does happen. being on a constant yo yo for pretty much all my life I can still tell you it suuuuuuucks when I suddenly decide to mood crash bc my brain just arbitrarily said gently caress you

stay on benzos they're wonderful for anti-anxiety. you need to tell your p-doc about your moments of dread, though. "Yup everything seems fine" doesn't help either of you.

Will do, thanks for the advice. I find it to be pretty easy to be open and honest about emotions now, it's like the one positive from this whole experience. I also write a list of the things I want to talk about and that has really helped as well. Writing lists in general has been pretty helpful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was having bad social anxiety about a dinner tonight but then I got really mad on thr interntet and feel better. Is that self medication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Low Desert Punk posted:

idk what drugs you're talkin about but i mean, yeah there is a limit for most things lol

even weed if you end up passing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3EOF76paWk

also i'm not ur mom but tbh don't self medicate with anything but weed. your mental health will improve if you're able to stay away from booze and hard poo poo

if it's the apocalypse tho (i mean the real thing, not the current foreplay) then hell yeah nuke your brain go crazy