Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

gender illusionist posted:

holy poo poo, that bad boy is probably flying around space!

Nahh, moving that fast it would have compressed the air in front of it to the point where it would have vaporised in milliseconds from the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Memento posted:

Nahh, moving that fast it would have compressed the air in front of it to the point where it would have vaporised in milliseconds from the heat.

Is this why Mexican food night turns into the siege of Tenochtitlan next morning?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

madeintaipei posted:

Is this why Mexican food night turns into the siege of Tenochtitlan next morning?
Only if you eat the tip.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

quote:

The concussion from the explosion was heard or felt for many miles, including people living in Magnolia, El Dorado and Camden. Magnolia is about 22 straight miles from the scene.
If I got all the locations right, these readings are roughly nine miles (White Oak Lake), twenty-five miles (Richland Creek Farm), and seventy-five miles (Cane Creek) out, respectively, from the explosion. That means the main peaks on each graph would have to be the sound of the explosion rather than the ground shock, which would only take a few seconds to travel those distances. And the main peaks are all clipped.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lazlo Nibble posted:

If I got all the locations right, these readings are roughly nine miles (White Oak Lake), twenty-five miles (Richland Creek Farm), and seventy-five miles (Cane Creek) out, respectively, from the explosion. That means the main peaks on each graph would have to be the sound of the explosion rather than the ground shock, which would only take a few seconds to travel those distances. And the main peaks are all clipped.

Woah, nice gif

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

Eat more fiber in your regular diet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Eat more fiber in your regular diet.

That's not always the solution. We seem to be learning more day by day now that we're less "a moving thinking organism" and more a dumb meat ship being piloted by trillions of bacteria. Some people have an intestinal microbiome capable of processing spicy foods. some don't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

What is it with colleges and doors to nowhere? My university had a door (permanently locked) that exited into free air, outside, three stories up. Also a shrinking hallway where the ground rose, but the ceiling didn't.

I swear it’s an accreditation requirement that all colleges must feature non‐Euclidean architecture.

Libraries are the most frequent offenders.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of food, I kept feeling sick after eating Panda Express but not after eating Chinese food from places without shrimp. And I just found out that cross-contamination is a big thing there. Undiagnosed seafood allergy?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I swear it’s an accreditation requirement that all colleges must feature non‐Euclidean architecture.

Books in tongues you cannot read, from places you never knew existed, about things that’ll drive you mad if you so much as look at them.

Sounds like the science section with a place for spare organic chemistry textbooks, the best Cthulhu-inspired horror show I’ve ever come across.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

For libraries the more likely I am to be found dead or dying surrounded by scrawled half maps and a diary of my descent into eating bookworms and tax codes the more I feel like reading something TBH.

It's all about the atmosphere

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Was reminded of this today, it's basically the theme song for this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would've thought the thread theme song was "I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No it's https://youtu.be/bvkAAomMg-k

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Icon Of Sin posted:

Books in tongues you cannot read, from places you never knew existed, about things that’ll drive you mad if you so much as look at them.

Sounds like the science section with a place for spare organic chemistry textbooks, the best Cthulhu-inspired horror show I’ve ever come across.

what the gently caress I thought I was in the caves of qud thread

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Speaking of food, I kept feeling sick after eating Panda Express but not after eating Chinese food from places without shrimp. And I just found out that cross-contamination is a big thing there. Undiagnosed seafood allergy?

Eat shrimp by itself and see what happens.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Imagined posted:

I would've thought the thread theme song was "I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmrs9GYkbqg&t=6s

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1112042171132248065

You gonna let some warning label keep you from your dream?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Eat shrimp by itself and see what happens.

Make sure to try frozen shrimps. Some people are fine with fresh, but frozen ones trigger a reaction.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My buddy just got done with a round of steroids to stop his reaction to shrimp. He’s middle aged and grew into having a full blown swelling and anophilactic shock thing at a restaurant. Ambulance, etc. face was a mess It’s weird how you can develop allergies on foods you’ve eaten for decades. Scary actually.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Imagined posted:

And that Law is the Law of Gravity.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

My buddy just got done with a round of steroids to stop his reaction to shrimp. He’s middle aged and grew into having a full blown swelling and anophilactic shock thing at a restaurant. Ambulance, etc. face was a mess It’s weird how you can develop allergies on foods you’ve eaten for decades. Scary actually.

This happened to a friend. 30 years old and he developed a loving peanut/general nut allergy, has to be insanely careful now.

cuz i bust everywhere

seriously though its insane that it can happen so late in life

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bring back old gbs posted:

This happened to a friend. 30 years old and he developed a loving peanut/general nut allergy, has to be insanely careful now.

cuz i bust everywhere

He has to carry an epi and he taught me how to use it while we were at the pub. Lol I’m going for the chest man

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s the one tick bite than can make you allergic to red meat, too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/06/25/621080751/red-meat-allergies-caused-by-tick-bites-are-on-the-rise

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I was just assuming they hired Howard, Fine, and Howard as plumbers or something.

I was thinking the same thing.

"no wonder their plumbing don't work, these pipes are all full of wires".

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

CannonFodder posted:

And that Law is the Law of Gravity.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Too soon, man.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Powershift posted:

That's not always the solution. We seem to be learning more day by day now that we're less "a moving thinking organism" and more a dumb meat ship being piloted by trillions of bacteria. Some people have an intestinal microbiome capable of processing spicy foods. some don't.

you can train your microbiome and eventurally you may stop making GBS threads so much after ______ food.

or like those other posts mentioned you may suddenly become deathly allergic to it and then poo poo and die.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

My friend got bit by one of those so now shes basically pescatarian. She lives only a few minutes away from where that lady in that article got bit too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is that the one that beheaded the child?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

bring back old gbs posted:

cuz i bust everywhere

My allergist told me it’s pretty common for food allergies to pop up or get worse at 30 or 50 because of hormonal changes. I discovered this the hard way.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol I’m going for the chest man

I became allergic to bananas in my 30s and my wouldn't-hurt-a-fly wife has repeatedly said she'd give me the Mia Wallace if needed.

Joke's on her though -- I don't carry an epi pen so I'd just choke and die.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

Sometimes it's not even the biome. I can't do spicy foods anymore because of a hiatal hernia.

Our meat ships are fragile and prone to permanent damage.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Speak for yourself, mammal.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speak for yourself, mammal.

I'm still waiting for science to build me robot hands :colbert:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that the one that beheaded the child?

but he didn't fall off

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

but he didn't fall off

Not all of him, at least.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
as long as 51% of the child remains within the slide that meets the spec

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sometimes it's not even the biome. I can't do spicy foods anymore because of a hiatal hernia.

I just got mine repaired in January, and an implant installed to keep it from recurring. The whole thing was relatively easy, so I recommend it if you're like me and can't live without spicy foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Cichlidae posted:

I just got mine repaired in January, and an implant installed to keep it from recurring. The whole thing was relatively easy, so I recommend it if you're like me and can't live without spicy foods.

My gastro guy gave surgery a 50/50 chance of either working or making things worse, but that's good to hear. Will have to investigate. Thanks!