Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

A lack of policy isnt much better than a bad policy. Just because the Liberals havnt enacted bad policy it doesnt let them off the hook for leaving so many lovely and harmful policies in place that continue to allow for minority and other groups to be taken advantage of, attacked or suppressed.

Also the current Liberals might actually have a worse record with the indigenous population than the Harper Cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Now that is shameful

infernal machines posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4917809/andrew-scheer-immigration-justin-trudeau/

I'll await some counter examples

For funzies, how many times has Trudeau appeared on Faith Goldy's show or been interviewed by Rebel TV?

Just in case anyone feels like suggesting that Scheer and the PCs haven't actually formed a government, and maybe they're just courting racists as a campaign tactic, please look to our southern neighbours.

Coxswain Balls posted:

If the Liberals actually cared about marginalized groups' well-being more than simply using them to get into power

No one is suggesting they do, they're also not fomenting hared against them and further marginalizing them to get into power, as the Conservatives are.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 30, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Under Stephen Harper, there were so many people unhappy with the government and their approach that people were saying, ‘It will take electoral reform to no longer have a government we don’t like’. But under the current system, they now have a government they’re more satisfied with and the motivation to change the electoral system is less compelling

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We thought FPTP was bad, but then it got us a majority, so clearly it wasn't.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

From Maclean's (not the best I know but still)

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/refugee-resettlement-canada/

Pretty drat big difference from the Harper years.

Also, as was mentioned before, Trans people being added as a protected class isn't something the Cons would have ever done.

And yeah for all the flaws with legal weed, free pardons for people convicted of possession (I know it's in the process of working it's way through but still) is big.

An increase of 5,000 refugees is a big difference? I guess we'd have to disagree here, because I really don't agree. Canada has accepted between 250,000 - 300,000 immigrants every year for the past couple of decades. 5,000 refugees is a tiny proportion of that number.

I'll give you the points on gender expression and legal weed, but I suppose everyone has to ask themselves, are a few small progressive changes excuses for capitalist corruption, tax breaks for the wealthy, bald faced lying to get elected, loving over labour rights, ramming oil pipelines through protected territories, making false promises to improve conditions on reserves. He's continued so many of Harper's policies, how can anyone in all honesty say a liberal government is different enough to justify supporting?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I hate to admit it, but the Cons were right on this one issue: defund the CBC.

Nothing of value would be lost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RBC posted:

how can anyone in all honesty say a liberal government is different enough to justify supporting?

Who is saying that?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

No one is suggesting they do, they're also not fomenting hared against them and further marginalizing them to get into power, as the Conservatives are.

They seem to be completely fine with the Conservatives getting into power if they can't, which has the same end result. Wasn't the Ontario Liberal Party focusing much of their effort on keeping the NDP from getting elected when it was clear they weren't doing so well, leading to Doug fuckin' Ford getting a majority?

Everyone here agrees that the CPC is a trash fire, but the LPC is enabling them to do so by doing dumb poo poo like what we're seeing now with SNC-Lavalin or breaking their promise on electoral reform. They shouldn't be allowed to go "deal with it, what else are you gonna do, let the racists get into power?"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah the Wynne campaign basically spent the entire final month of campaigning going after the NDP exclusively because they saw a Ford led government as the quickest way to get themselves back in power.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Who is saying that?

around 4 posters in the last page and anyone who suggests voting "strategically" (there have been many here)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

They seem to be completely fine with the Conservatives getting into power if they can't, which has the same end result. Wasn't the Ontario Liberal Party focusing much of their effort on keeping the NDP from getting elected when it was clear they weren't doing so well, leading to Doug fuckin' Ford getting a majority?

Everyone here agrees that the CPC is a trash fire, but the LPC is enabling them to do so by doing dumb poo poo like what we're seeing now with SNC-Lavalin or breaking their promise on electoral reform. They shouldn't be allowed to go "deal with it, what else are you gonna do, let the racists get into power?"

:shrug: Them's the breaks for so long as the federal NDP remain unable to remove their head from their rear end.

I am not in any way suggesting that anyone support the Liberals, or that the Liberals are somehow absolved of their idiocy and apparent contempt for Canadians. I'm just asking that people stop with the stupid facile "Libs and Cons are the same" takes because it's provably untrue and unhelpful to boot. It's possible for two groups to be bad while one of them is much worse, this is one of those cases.

RBC posted:

around 4 posters in the last page and anyone who suggests voting "strategically" (there have been many here)

I have definitely been reading a different thread than you.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

An increase of 5,000 refugees is a big difference? I guess we'd have to disagree here, because I really don't agree. Canada has accepted between 250,000 - 300,000 immigrants every year for the past couple of decades. 5,000 refugees is a tiny proportion of that number.

I'll give you the points on gender expression and legal weed, but I suppose everyone has to ask themselves, are a few small progressive changes excuses for capitalist corruption, tax breaks for the wealthy, bald faced lying to get elected, loving over labour rights, ramming oil pipelines through protected territories, making false promises to improve conditions on reserves. He's continued so many of Harper's policies, how can anyone in all honesty say a liberal government is different enough to justify supporting?

Looking at the graph it's a lot more than 5000. Harper's Cons were letting in ~10k refugees a year. Almost 50k in 2016 and close to 30k in 2017 and 2018 is a big loving difference.

Is the other poo poo they did like lying about electoral reform good? Of course not, it's terrible. But if the other option while we wait for a coherent leftist alternative to sort itself out is "The same bad stuff but also even more bad stuff" then yeah I'm not ashamed to say I'd be more upset with a Conservative government in power than a Liberal one even if I don't like either.

That's not an endorsement or me saying I'm going to vote Lib though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's funny, for the last four years I was really mad at the NDP for throwing away the 2015 election, which I thought was their once-in-a-generation chance to win because both other parties were unpopular.

Now I'm preemptively mad at the NDP for throwing away the 2019 election, which appears to be a second once-in-a-generation chance to win because both other parties are unpopular.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I cannot for the life of me understand why Jagmeet Sing isn't making daily press statements slamming Scheer et. al. for their transparent racism and Trudeau et al. for their blatant corruption and disregard for the law. He could be doing that, it wouldn't even be partisan nonsense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I cannot for the life of me understand why Jagmeet Sing isn't making daily press statements slamming Scheer et. al. for their transparent racism and Trudeau et al. for their blatant corruption and disregard for the law. He could be doing that, it wouldn't even be partisan nonsense.

Because he's an empty suit and every time he goes on TV he embarrasses himself.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A while ago I was walking by U of T and ran into what turned out to be an impromptu Jagmeet press conference. This was right after some other stupid Trudeau fuckup, but I can't recall which one. Anyway, I stopped to listen because I was curious what policies or response he'd have to it and I figured that's what it would be about.

The entire thing was discussing the rumours about him getting engaged lol.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Looking at the graph it's a lot more than 5000. Harper's Cons were letting in ~10k refugees a year. Almost 50k in 2016 and close to 30k in 2017 and 2018 is a big loving difference.

Is the other poo poo they did like lying about electoral reform good? Of course not, it's terrible. But if the other option while we wait for a coherent leftist alternative to sort itself out is "The same bad stuff but also even more bad stuff" then yeah I'm not ashamed to say I'd be more upset with a Conservative government in power than a Liberal one even if I don't like either.

That's not an endorsement or me saying I'm going to vote Lib though.

So if you don't like the Trudeau government, why the gently caress do you keep apologizing for them and pointing out how they're "better" than the conservatives?

In my opinion, that's brainwashed liberal drivel we hear every time some liberal government catches heat for doing something bad. gently caress, it was Trudeau's first line after the SNC scandal blew up - "Do you want to go back to the Harper government? Cause it's him or me sucka!"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

:shrug: Them's the breaks for so long as the federal NDP remain unable to remove their head from their rear end.

I am not in any way suggesting that anyone support the Liberals, or that the Liberals are somehow absolved of their idiocy and apparent contempt for Canadians. I'm just asking that people stop with the stupid facile "Libs and Cons are the same" takes because it's provably untrue and unhelpful to boot. It's possible for two groups to be bad while one of them is much worse, this is one of those cases.

It's also possible to believe that both parties are equally bad in different ways, especially when their actions in concert lead to people getting hosed over.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A while ago I was walking by U of T and ran into what turned out to be an impromptu Jagmeet press conference. This was right after some other stupid Trudeau fuckup, but I can't recall which one. Anyway, I stopped to listen because I was curious what policies or response he'd have to it and I figured that's what it would be about.

The entire thing was discussing the rumours about him getting engaged lol.

I really wish we lived in a country where the major parties weren't lead by a balloon animal filled with ground beef and racism, a legacy pledge with the political instincts of a dead stoat, and well dressed lawyer conspicuously devoid of opinions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Following Wab Kinew here and he at least blasts the Cons whenever he can. I love the man.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jagmeet went on tv yesterday to unveil his plan to tax the rich but 1. media undercovers the ndp and 2. jwr.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I really wish we lived in a country where the major parties weren't lead by a balloon animal filled with ground beef and racism, a legacy pledge with the political instincts of a dead stoat, and well dressed lawyer conspicuously devoid of opinions.

A stoat showing us that they could handle the SNC case better than Trudeau.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

is this supposed to mean something?

Its a joke about how right/left/centre mean nothing anymore anyways.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
FPTP is garbage and Trudeau knows it cements the red blue narrative forever. That is my gripe with this government. I wholeheartedly expect cronyism / lobbying teetering on corruption / etc from all our governments until FPTP is gone and buried.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Coxswain Balls posted:

I can be mad at the Liberals for their blatant corruption and want them to face consequences for it while at the same time not want the Conservatives to end up in power.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Furnaceface posted:

Canada, and Ontario in particular right now, suck and that is sad but Im actually happy at this very moment because Barrie got a new shawarma place and its right around the corner from where I work and this thing is amazing. I hope this feeling lasts until Monday because the changes to OHIP+ go live then and they are so loving stupid and actively malicious to children in need and Im going to be the one getting yelled at for all the bullshit despite the fact I didnt vote for the assholes and cant control what they do.

In other news, Alex Nuttall announced that he won't be running for re-election! The Tories can win in Barrie by nominating a sack of potatoes, but at least that transphobic rear end in a top hat won't be collecting an MP's pension.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dark One posted:

In other news, Alex Nuttall announced that he won't be running for re-election! The Tories can win in Barrie by nominating a sack of potatoes, but at least that transphobic rear end in a top hat won't be collecting an MP's pension.

I got to call him an rear end in a top hat to his face when he was campaigning my neighborhood and it was honestly quite satisfying to see him stand there looking like an idiot with nothing to say for a good 20 seconds before mumbling "I guess I cant count on your vote".

Thats my Alex Nuttall story.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

zapplez posted:

Its a joke about how right/left/centre mean nothing anymore anyways.

Hey patonthebach how come you unbanned your racist right wing alt account and not the account were you pretended to be a liberal?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Hey patonthebach how come you unbanned your racist right wing alt account and not the account were you pretended to be a liberal?

Call me out in the thunderdome or fyad or whatever if you want to, rather not derail a good D&D thread . I got banned with a lovely alt, not the first guy and not the last guy. Big woop. Lets talk canpol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, there's a good D&D thread? Could you link it here?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858338

it sure as hell ain't the 5e or pathfinder threads

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

^^ gently caress, beat to the joke.

Here you go :v:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

zapplez posted:

Call me out in the thunderdome or fyad or whatever if you want to, rather not derail a good D&D thread . I got banned with a lovely alt, not the first guy and not the last guy. Big woop. Lets talk canpol.

I just find it funny that the dude going "the definition of left-right is completely useless these days!!" just happened to be the (2) most right wing posters in the thread

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

I just find it funny that the dude going "the definition of left-right is completely useless these days!!" just happened to be the (2) most right wing posters in the thread

I think its says more about the thread that someone that has been voting NDP for years now is the furthest right that will stand to post in this thread.

I guess I'm more upset the great civics class I had in highschool where they defined the NDP as far left, LPC as left and CPC as right is now faulty. I have to learn it all over again that libs are right wing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858338

it sure as hell ain't the 5e or pathfinder threads

berenzen posted:

^^ gently caress, beat to the joke.

Here you go :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

zapplez posted:

No one should give a person who uses their sockpuppet account to agree with themselves honest debate

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

zapplez posted:

This is the dumbest thing, just so you know, and your laughable attempt to deflect is approaching Trudeau levels of incompetence.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm just asking that people stop with the stupid facile "Libs and Cons are the same" takes because it's provably untrue and unhelpful to boot. It's possible for two groups to be bad while one of them is much worse, this is one of those cases.

People should certainly point out every time Liberal polices and/or actions are indistinguishable from Conservative ones, though.

In other news, the Ontario cop who shot a fellow cop is being charged with attempted murder. Curiously, the victim in this case happens to have been disciplined numerous times for excessive violence against civilians. The shooting was back in November and I've heard nothing about what the hell happened in this case except that the victim's brother appeared on TV to say that his brother is in fact a rageaholic rear end in a top hat.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/gilmcgowan/status/1112040291412766720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

UCP minority would be propped up by all the splintered off right wing parties though basically giving them the majority anyway wouldnt it?