Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

habeasdorkus posted:

It can be two things.

Seeing Incubus's backstory has really improved my opinion of him. That dude worked for it!

It also helps establish why he's got his inferiority complex; he actually proved himself to Meti first, doing what Maya, who was possibly twice his age at the time, would not, and yet eventually she surpassed him and became Meti's only pupil, won her throne, and then left it, resulting in it falling into his hands one way or another. Regardless of the specifics, that's already a setup for making him feel like poo poo and needing to prove himself and always be in control. No wonder he's the way he is.

The temptation thing fits with this too, actually; he's probably very familiar with desperation, he's just the person exploiting it now rather than experiencing it.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I think Operant has described Incubus's backstory as a hero's journey that curdled. What's going on right now is starting to give that description some interesting context.

Oh yeah, in a normal story, well, first things wouldn't be quite so brutal probably, but also this would be a big moment for the up-and-coming protagonist, starting their metaphorical journey and all that. Instead, well, he became the Lord of the Pit with a throne that he didn't earn.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Roland Jones posted:

Instead, well, he became the Lord of the Pit with a throne that he didn't earn.

Who knows. In his mind he might see himself as deserving of it. Like you said, he proved himself to Meti first. Though the significance of that might pale in comparison to future accomplishments by Maya and himself, he may still cling to that initial encounter.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Who knows. In his mind he might see himself as deserving of it. Like you said, he proved himself to Meti first. Though the significance of that might pale in comparison to future accomplishments by Maya and himself, he may still cling to that initial encounter.

If he felt like he earned it, he would probably be able to actually sit on his throne.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Begemot posted:

If he felt like he earned it, he would probably be able to actually sit on his throne.

Why do you think he doesn't/can't?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

To me it's pretty obvious he thinks he's just as good as any of the other Demiurges. His problem is that they don't, and he can't stand being denied the recognition of his only peers.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Who What Now posted:

To me it's pretty obvious he thinks he's just as good as any of the other Demiurges. His problem is that they don't, and he can't stand being denied the recognition of his only peers.

Same. Which is why he's working to destabilize them through Allison and let Jag make his move to kill them all.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know. I am starting to think Meti's training philosophy might be a bit problematic. But at least Incubus took her lessons to heart.

"To master sword law you must become utterly saturated in death."

Got it teacher, daily bathing in blood it is.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I look forward to seeing Allison face off against Gog Agog if it ever happens, would be interesting to see how she defeats infinity

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's obvious to me, she'll simply summon Ys-Voya.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She's gonna headbutt every single individual worm.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

do you think solomon david can shave his head and braid his beard using ki rata techniques only

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He has such mastery of it his hair and beard never grow if he doesn't want them to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

I look forward to seeing Allison face off against Gog Agog if it ever happens, would be interesting to see how she defeats infinity

Allison hasn't yet killed a demiurge and I'm not convinced she's going to.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

do you think solomon david can shave his head and braid his beard using ki rata techniques only

It's an advanced 150,000 point technique.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Hero's journey that curdled" is such a fascinating description for a backstory, I can't wait to see where it goes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Drunk Theory posted:

You know. I am starting to think Meti's training philosophy might be a bit problematic. But at least Incubus took her lessons to heart.

"To master sword law you must become utterly saturated in death."

Got it teacher, daily bathing in blood it is.

I'm pretty sure that's by design.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man. Maybe all of Meti's stuff talks about her lovely female student because incubus did everything exactly like he was supposed to so there was nothing worth complaining about.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Check that one out:

What if you do it right... by doing it wrong?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

maybe, just maybe, the problem lies with the person screaming "you sentimental fool" at the person who asked them how to do their funeral

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
IF METI BANS ME FOR HOLLERING AT THE FOOLS I WILL FACE YISUN AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

maybe, just maybe, the problem lies with the person screaming "you sentimental fool" at the person who asked them how to do their funeral

Diogenes was a pure and special boy and I will not have you besmirching his name like this!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He's in no position to care.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

YaketySass posted:

He's in no position to care.

TBF he probably wouldn't have given a poo poo when he was

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I see no one complaining about the demon cart guys dying by exploding. So explosion death fetishes are cool but getting eaten by dogs is weird? Lol.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Who What Now posted:

Diogenes was a pure and special boy and I will not have you besmirching his name like this!

Diogenes would be the first to tell you he was, while very special and dear to all of us, a horrible mangy weirdo who was a mistake to invite into one's home and lives.
He will tell you that the same way a stray dog would, which is by pissing on things you care about and playing with his balls in public.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

reignonyourparade posted:

Man. Maybe all of Meti's stuff talks about her lovely female student because incubus did everything exactly like he was supposed to so there was nothing worth complaining about.

That's basically punishing him for being "the good one".

Which is perfect.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meti: "I trained him wrong, as a joke."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm not sure Meti's a believer in training people right at all.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Meti would agree that a swordmaster is a real rear end in a top hat.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Cat Mattress posted:

Only a horrible person would ever want to master sword law.

Incidentally, you make a perfect student.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That was a great goddamn page.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think Incubus is Metis good student; part of her sword law is that to truly master it, you have to abandon everything except the single perfect cut you are performing. You shed thought of victory, your identity, even the concept of a next blow - the only thing that matters is the cut. Incubus is extremely into winning. I think that he is an able swordsman but fails to achieve that singular will, which is why Meti doesn't consider him a true apprentice.

Maya apparently manages it, but it turns out that the mindset to subsume yourself in a single cut makes you lovely at anything else, which is why both her and Meti end up as unstoppable hobos.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's indeed curious that neither Meti nor Maya could take Meti's advice and open a noodle shop or anything else. Maybe they simply had too many potential enemies somewhere in the Multiverse and didn't want to risk building something up only for the next idiot looking for a fight to come destroy it?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Turns out that once you've meditated non stop on the "everything is bullshit, reach heaven through violence" train you actually can't do anything good or wholesome with your life even if you can understand why that would be good.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Maya got half of it right. I think this is the same sword she got way back when (and maybe the hilt she's still carrying?), so she at least derusted it for Incubus.

Random Psalm:

quote:

iv. The lie of the small light

Hansa was of sound mind and proud soul and only once asked YISUN a conceited question, when he was very old and his bones were set about with the dust and bent with age. It was about his own death.

“Lord,” said Hansa, allowing a doubt to blossom, “What is ending?”

It was said later he regretted this question but none could confirm the suspicion.

“Ending is a small light in a vast cavern growing dim,” said YISUN, plainly, as was the manner.

“When the light goes out, what will happen to the cavern?”

“It and the universe will cease to exist, for how can we see anything without any light, no matter how small?” said YISUN. Hansa was somewhat dismayed, but sensed a lesson, as was the manner.

“Darkness is the natural state of caverns,” said he, vexingly, “if I were a cavern, I would be glad to be rid of the pest of light and exist obstinately anyway!”

“Hansa is observant,” said YISUN.

-PSALMS

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 31, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I don't think Incubus is Metis good student; part of her sword law is that to truly master it, you have to abandon everything except the single perfect cut you are performing. You shed thought of victory, your identity, even the concept of a next blow - the only thing that matters is the cut. Incubus is extremely into winning. I think that he is an able swordsman but fails to achieve that singular will, which is why Meti doesn't consider him a true apprentice.

Maya apparently manages it, but it turns out that the mindset to subsume yourself in a single cut makes you lovely at anything else, which is why both her and Meti end up as unstoppable hobos.

What I at least was saying wasn't necessarily that he was a "good" student, but that he may have done as he was instructed without complaint, and thus produced no real anecdotes to make their way into Meti's writings.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

What I at least was saying wasn't necessarily that he was a "good" student, but that he may have done as he was instructed without complaint, and thus produced no real anecdotes to make their way into Meti's writings.

How do you know? Has Abaddon said so? Otherwise, we've been given one sample, which doesn't mean there won't be more.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

xcheopis posted:

How do you know? Has Abaddon said so? Otherwise, we've been given one sample, which doesn't mean there won't be more.

Do you know what the word "may" means?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Benagain posted:

Turns out that once you've meditated non stop on the "everything is bullshit, reach heaven through violence" train you actually can't do anything good or wholesome with your life even if you can understand why that would be good.

I think it's more that this comic repeatedly emphasizes that being a good, righteous person and a great person are mutually exclusive endeavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh yea, that would make sense - he may have been the unremarkable failure, so he didn't get to feature in her writing.