Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

:krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

40k xpost:

Some speed painted cultists and screamers featuring some eye searing fluorescent colors. They are extremely hard to photograph.

Where did you get fluoro static grass?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I airbrushed regular static grass. Prime white, fluorescent purple, pink, orange. Fluorescent pink really doesn't render on my camera comes out as a dull orange. In the process of fixing that you loose some of the color variation you get in real life.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The fluorescent screamers are inspiring.

It's also the name of my new band

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a 0000 brush today, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Can you even find the bristles with a brush that small?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Can you even find the bristles with a brush that small?

It's just a single eyelash hair.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Painted this Fiend of Slaanesh. Was my first time really painting blue skin. Was tougher than I thought it was going to be, but I'm mostly happy with it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mistafab posted:

Painted this Fiend of Slaanesh. Was my first time really painting blue skin. Was tougher than I thought it was going to be, but I'm mostly happy with it.

This is a super cutie. :3:

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Nearly finished with the banner for my Black Consuls Ancient, quite a nice change from edge highlighting power armour!

Love those bases!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Count_Brass posted:

Nearly finished with the banner for my Black Consuls Ancient, quite a nice change from edge highlighting power armour!

:popeye:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Second new blood angel:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What's the difference between model paint - like Army Painter and Ciditel - and craft store acyrlic - like Micheal's Basics?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Twincityhacker posted:

What's the difference between model paint - like Army Painter and Ciditel - and craft store acyrlic - like Micheal's Basics?

pigment density and size, the model paint has a much more finely ground pigment and a lot more of it, so it covers better, thins better, and doesn't clog up detail.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wrapped up a Tech-Priest Manipulus for my Adeptus Mechanicus kill team, Zeta-2 Reticulus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Been cranking on an updated IW metal base colour. Here are a number of new tests. These are without highlights, just the base color and some washes:

I think I like the ones on the far right so I put them on some unfinished bases. They should pop pretty well I think:

(zoom for ultra detail)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Booley posted:

pigment density and size, the model paint has a much more finely ground pigment and a lot more of it, so it covers better, thins better, and doesn't clog up detail.

Just to add on to this, I tend to use craft paints and artist's acrylics exclusively, but then I've been doing this off and on since the late 1980s. :v: I wouldn't recommend them for the absolute beginner, because they do take a little more work to use properly; and obviously if someone is following a painting guide or wants a specific set of colors for easy reference, I would say go with GW or Vallejo or whatnot. But for someone with a bit of experience and patience, and who's looking to save a few bucks, they're certainly quite usable.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Booley posted:

Second new blood angel:

:captainpop:

loving hell. OTOH I've done a BA army in the past so was going to start again with something new but I suppose I could always just paint BA again but to a level that's insane like this instead of my poo poo work.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

tangy yet delightful posted:

loving hell. OTOH I've done a BA army in the past so was going to start again with something new but I suppose I could always just paint BA again but to a level that's insane like this instead of my poo poo work.
At a certain point you just have to accept that the 30k goons exist on a different hobby level and just enjoy the pretty pictures.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can do it too folks. Just push yourself, experiment, and it'll come together!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

this is me ~2 years ago:

Just push and play with different techniques and you improve pretty quick.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Booley posted:

this is me ~2 years ago:

Two years ago you is still pretty ace though. We'll see how my gravis captain turns out in the next few days.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Booley posted:

this is me ~2 years ago:

Yeah I'm gonna be reading up on BULBASAUR's website and giving it a go again here "soon".

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
After a lot of delaying and dealing with other things, I finally got some Blood Angels built and primed. Primed some of the Chaos Warriors I had finished a while ago as well.

I tried being a bit more liberal with the Rustoleum 2X primer this time, but there's still crevices that didn't get proper coverage.

Please let me know how awesome/silly my Beakie marine looks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new OP is a massive effort, but I'm trying to make it a little more guided in how to improve your painting. Inducing some theory

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

everythingWasBees posted:

Are any of the affordable (300 or less. Pref a lot less) pre-built spray booths fireproof? Sticking only to non-flammable paints seems rather limiting.

That really only limits you from using rattlecans. You really don't want to be spraying those indoors anyway.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

The new OP is a massive effort, but I'm trying to make it a little more guided in how to improve your painting. Inducing some theory

Thanks for doing this! Also I hope you're still alive and this is not an April's fool.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Painted this lil goblin dude with his pet squig

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Max Wilco posted:

I tried being a bit more liberal with the Rustoleum 2X primer this time, but there's still crevices that didn't get proper coverage.

Chances are, if your primer isn't getting into some crevices, it's not an area that's really too easily seen. As such, it's probably not worth worrying about too much, so long as you don't leave bare primer there.

As for beakie marine, the chainsword seems a little weird just sticking straight out, but that could just be the angle the picture's at. Outside of that, :hellyeah:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Max Wilco posted:

I’ve never built marines, so I don’t know how posable they are, but I would have lined the Beakie’s head up with his bolter; made his pose a little more dynamic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'm trying to step up my game and I want to eliminate every possible "outside" element from the process, so that I don't have excuses. I've bought a good brush (n.1 Windsor & Newton series 7, with Kolinsky sable hair) and I guess it's time to move away from water only and try some medium/thinner, since paint consistency is one of my weak spots for sure - I can never manage to get paint that looks and behave the way it should, based on tutorials and videos...it's always too viscid or too runny. I don't have issues with layer consistency, it's mostly for basecoat and, especially, primer - I don't own an airbrush and I always prime with a brush - which is something I should abandon I guess, since together with my consistency problems it's what causes my models to have an uneven texture.

Is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Air-200-Thinners/dp/B002X6DTHK/

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm trying to step up my game and I want to eliminate every possible "outside" element from the process, so that I don't have excuses. I've bought a good brush (n.1 Windsor & Newton series 7, with Kolinsky sable hair) and I guess it's time to move away from water only and try some medium/thinner, since paint consistency is one of my weak spots for sure - I can never manage to get paint that looks and behave the way it should, based on tutorials and videos...it's always too viscid or too runny. I don't have issues with layer consistency, it's mostly for basecoat and, especially, primer - I don't own an airbrush and I always prime with a brush - which is something I should abandon I guess, since together with my consistency problems it's what causes my models to have an uneven texture.

Is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Air-200-Thinners/dp/B002X6DTHK/

As someone who recently got into mini painting and had the exact same issues with paint thinning what I found helpful was mixing up my little dropper bottle of water with about 1/10 flow improver. Its subtle but the paint behaves more like I want it to. Also one small thing I was failing on was not realising that if I thinned my paints down then I needed to make sure I took some of it off the brush on a paper towel or something before trying to slap it on. Before I started doing that I'd have thin paint running everywhere out of control.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

As someone who recently got into mini painting and had the exact same issues with paint thinning what I found helpful was mixing up my little dropper bottle of water with about 1/10 flow improver. Its subtle but the paint behaves more like I want it to. Also one small thing I was failing on was not realising that if I thinned my paints down then I needed to make sure I took some of it off the brush on a paper towel or something before trying to slap it on. Before I started doing that I'd have thin paint running everywhere out of control.

You know, it's funny cause I also found out the same about the paper towel, and it is what I do at the moment. My only issue is...if I'm looking at someone's tutorial, it doesn't look like they have to do that. Especially for basecoats, it looks like the pro-painters in those tutorials have A LOT of paint on the brush...but when I manage to have a similar looking load on my brush, the paint always seems to thick; and if I try to thin it down a bit, it becomes very runny and I have to wipe some of it off the brush.

I'm talking about the look/quantity of paint that's on the brush about 1minute in in this video from the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vMyAk6Lf0
Whenever I try to do something like this, it feels like the paint is too much/too viscous, covering small details and leaving streaks if I pass the brush over it a second time.

Another example from Painting Buddha:

1.44minutes in this video here.
If I have that amount of paint thinned in that way (see bottom right circle) it behaves in a different manner - it is very runny.

I have painted for a long time now (but never for long stretches - I start, I get back to a certain level, then after a while I stop) and I think this paint consistency conundrum - especially for basecoats and primer - is preventing me from getting better. I can gain a better brush control and artistic eye, but without the proper medium I don't really think I can get any "real" good result.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 1, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A lot of that is just the stubbornness to improve, and trying things until you find something that works for you even if 95% of the time you're banging your head against a wall. When I do reach for beyond tabletop quality I generally don't use a wet palette or anything besides water, but that's by no means the correct way, it just works for me.

Paint consistency is the single hardest thing to learn, and it's not something you can really get, imho, from watching videos. Just gotta keep plugging away at it. Way back in the thread I made a little chart for the kinda consistencies I use, but that's still an individual kinda feel.

If you're getting streaks then that's because the paint isn't dry.

Here's my little paint consistency chart:

And here's what I do with just water and a piece of tuperware:

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 1, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sweet boar people :3:

Thanks! What kind of paper were you using for that tester? Just plain printer paper? I'll try to have a look at what my stuff looks like in comparison, to see if I'm messing up some part of the process.

Also yeah, going at it is going to be 90% of the improvement process as it is for almost everything...I just want to avoid shooting myself in the foot the same way I did when I first started painting (before the internet, I was using enamels instead of acrylics, didn't know about drybrush/washes...when I discovered those things I had an incremental improvement in quality that was night and day. Of course it not possible for me to get such a jump in quality overnight anymore; I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring some important part of the puzzle, since my paint consistency is the biggest gripe I still have).

The other problem I've noticed when I look at my stuff is that I have some kind of selective blindness when looking at my own stuff. I can't seem to have the same level of criticism I would have when looking at someone else's stuff.
I'll post my latest WIP tonight (I've been painting a Plaguebearer cause I wanted to paint some fleshy things and Nurgle stuff is just the best to paint) and I'll be super happy for everyone itt to tell me what I could do next to improve it or what I could have done differently to get a better result.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Right. I Believe it was 80 lbs card stock.

Edit: the selective criticism is interesting because I think almost everyone tends to have the opposite reaction to their own minis, where they view them much more harshly than others. Unless I'm misreading you?

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 1, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

You know, it's funny cause I also found out the same about the paper towel, and it is what I do at the moment. My only issue is...if I'm looking at someone's tutorial, it doesn't look like they have to do that. Especially for basecoats, it looks like the pro-painters in those tutorials have A LOT of paint on the brush...but when I manage to have a similar looking load on my brush, the paint always seems to thick; and if I try to thin it down a bit, it becomes very runny and I have to wipe some of it off the brush.

I'm talking about the look/quantity of paint that's on the brush about 1minute in in this video from the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vMyAk6Lf0
Whenever I try to do something like this, it feels like the paint is too much/too viscous, covering small details and leaving streaks if I pass the brush over it a second time.

Another example from Painting Buddha:

1.44minutes in this video here.
If I have that amount of paint thinned in that way (see bottom right circle) it behaves in a different manner - it is very runny.

I have painted for a long time now (but never for long stretches - I start, I get back to a certain level, then after a while I stop) and I think this paint consistency conundrum - especially for basecoats and primer - is preventing me from getting better. I can gain a better brush control and artistic eye, but without the proper medium I don't really think I can get any "real" good result.

Other than specifically using airbrush thinner for airbrushing, I always just thin with water. I think you need to keep practicing thinning to different consistencies rather than trying to use something else to thin with, you'll still run into exactly the same issue of overthinning or underthinning if you use thinner instead of water.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Never got to paint my Odo bucket this weekend.

Love when a customer contacts your company’s board of directors on a Friday night over an ongoing (albeit pedantic) issue with a purchase order.

I spent my weekend chasing down a thousand dollar order and overnighting the product to the tattle-tale customer. I spent Friday booking a $9 million dollar order.

Not flexing, I'm just a little cog in a big machine, but gently caress does perspective not exist with some people.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Never got to paint my Odo bucket this weekend.

Love when a customer contacts your company’s board of directors on a Friday night over an ongoing (albeit pedantic) issue with a purchase order.

I spent my weekend chasing down a thousand dollar order and overnighting the product to the tattle-tale customer. I spent Friday booking a $9 million dollar order.

Not flexing, I'm just a little cog in a big machine, but gently caress does perspective not exist with some people.

Sounds like you should go for a relaxing dip in a bucket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mistafab posted:

Painted this lil goblin dude with his pet squig

I’m absolutely adore this. I love when the night gobbos robes are different than the standard black. 10/10 great work!