Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Rocko Bonaparte is also a great user name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I am going to try this again.

I am trying to find a wok or woks to use with a high-temperature burner outside. I'm worried about rust because the carbon steel wok I already have started to rust literally as I was cleaning it in my hands. That was inside and following seasoning regimens I read online. I have gotten rust spots on cast iron cookware I've left out overnight with my outdoor kitchen so I'm afraid I'll wreck it some night I forget about it.

My main situation there was that I'd wind up with a bunch of oil or something and forget about it overnight while waiting for it to cool a little--or I get distracted with a party or whatever. I plan to start doing all my deep frying outside on that burner to keep all the grease and smell out of the house. I don't have something already for that burner for deep frying so I figured I'd go for a wok. The burner has a rounded grill to take round-bottomed woks. I read that stainless steel woks don't heat evenly, but I figure that is not a major problem if it's buffered by a bunch of oil for frying or water for blanching/boiling. I could then supplement this with a carbon steel wok for regular flash cooking.

I was wondering if this sounded reasonable at all and if there was anything I should be looking into for, say, the handle types to pick for a wok that will be used frequently for deep frying/boiling/blanching. I already imagine the carbon steel one should have a handle for quick tossing. I expect to be able to take care of a good carbon steel wok right after use since I won't be juggling the oil.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think what you're looking for makes sense and is pretty reasonable. just looking around on The Wok Shop i found this option:

https://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/ststuswokwwo3.html

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A carbon fiber wok? Woah.

It's extremely light but if you get above 400F it does tend to the coat the food somewhat.

Edit - for deep frying and steaming wouldn't you be better off with a high-sided pot like a stock pot? Getting a wok for those applications seems a bit pointless if you're just going to fill it with oil and drop stuff in there, or fill it with water and plonk a steamer basket on top.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 28, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

drgitlin posted:

It's extremely light but if you get above 400F it does tend to the coat the food somewhat.

Edit - for deep frying and steaming wouldn't you be better off with a high-sided pot like a stock pot? Getting a wok for those applications seems a bit pointless if you're just going to fill it with oil and drop stuff in there, or fill it with water and plonk a steamer basket on top.

I just saw some stuff like this:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8749-advantages-to-deep-frying-in-a-wok
https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/equipment-the-7-most-essential-pots-and-pans.html
https://homekitchenfryer.com/wok-deep-frying-pros-cons/

They make some noise about the shape being easier to work with when you're not cooking vats and vats of stuff--and at that point you're probably looking at a dedicated fryer anyways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a Joyce Chen 14 inch carbon steel wok. It has not had any rust on it and was easy to season and is generally good. I have not tried leaving it out overnight in the rain since I'm not a weirdo (in that way) however.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I mean, I get that I shouldn't leave this stuff out. I just have to face the fact that I probably will. Just like how I am outside, right now, facing the tub trug full of grout I forgot the clean out when I finished grouting the surround for the burner last night.

I think I have a Joyce Chen wok already, and that was what acted like I was painting it with rust when I ran a wet sponge across it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds like it's not seasoned well. I wash mine with soap and water every time I use it and don't have any issues.

When you have your outside burner setup, heat the fucker for a good long while. Soak a washcloth you don't care about (it will not survive the process) in oil and run it around the inside with long tongs. It should be absolutely pouring smoke as soon as the oil hits, which is why you want to do this outdoors. Give it oiling all around until the inside of the wok is evenly black. You shouldn't have any issues with it after that, and unless you go at the thing with steel wool you aren't going to take the seasoning off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats your outdoor burner setup look like? i'm trying to decide if i'll integrate one into the table/island i'm going to build for my big green egg

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bronze doesn’t corrode easily even in seawater, op

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

fart simpson posted:

Good advice for this climate changed world. You'll be the Costner of Waterworld with a bronze wok.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like it's not seasoned well. I wash mine with soap and water every time I use it and don't have any issues.
Yes, probably not. I read up earlier that it isn't the end of the world that I got so much rust so I'll probably give it a whirl this weekend. I'm still looking for something big and beefy to use with this burner.

BraveUlysses posted:

whats your outdoor burner setup look like? i'm trying to decide if i'll integrate one into the table/island i'm going to build for my big green egg
This is definitely a peculiar thing to have. I originally got it as part of the outdoor kitchen for boiling wort for homebrewing, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing that too much any more. It was still appealing for deep frying and searing meat, but now I'm down with it for doing stuff with woks. The one I got has a heavy, reversible grate. One side is flat and the other is curved. It has two burners concentrically; you just use one for normal cooking, but you run them together for extremely high heat. There's also a pull-out tray underneath to clean out poo poo that would probably start a grease fire if you left it alone forever.

Designing for it was horrific. It's recommended to place it lower than counter height--approximately 12 to 18 inches. So you are building a counter-top and then making a hole. You need to build a perimeter inside that hole to suspend the burner. There is a minimum safe area for this so you are eating into your surface area when doing this; you can't just design to cram the thing in but rather have to give it 1-2 inches all the way around of clearance. I imagine the lower you go, the further out you have to go to account for having more of the flared shape of the wok potentially banging against the perimeter when you're shuffling things around.

Mine is resting on a lip of concrete countertop on top of pressure treated pine that has been cladded in Hardie panel for fire protection. It isn't safe to have wood exposed near it, although I think the pink, fire-retardant wood is okay. Hardie Panel was considered an okay barrier. I used slabs of concrete countertop around the perimeter's walls to finish it off and make it look consistent with the rest of the kitchen.

Having the burner so low and embedded into the cabinetry means you can't fit a propane tank directly underneath it, so you need to put access to that off to one side. In my case, I hid the access on the rear side away from prying eyes. Mine also required an electrical line for starting the burner.

You will also want to consider what the lighting might be like for using it in the dark. Since it's recessed, side lighting won't reach in as well.

I did some sketches originally where the burner was at the end of the kitchen, so that end would just be dropped down and it would be lower on all sides. I gave up on it after some thought exercises. I expected I'd get a large grease spread on the ground on all sides, and I would still have to account for putting the propane tank somewhere. It also means not having space on both sides to put all the stuff you're quickly shifting through the wok.

On the plus side, you can zap your food really quickly without setting off all the fire alarms, deep fry a bunch of stuff, and clean up afterwards with a garden hose.

fart simpson posted:

I know you're joking but I thought it would look awesome, so I looked up bronze woks and was very disappointed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Re: woks for outside. When I got my propane fuckoff wok burner, I went down to my Chinese store and picked up a no name carbon steel 22 inch wok that just kicks a million kinds of rear end. It cost $25 and has been going strong for a long time. Sure, it sometimes gets surface corrosion, but that can be buffed out. If it gets too bad, I can get a new one or watch the Wang Gang video about rehabilitation of woks and I'm gooooolden.

Basically good woks are cheap don't stress about them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone got go-to English recipe sites? I just wasted an evening cooking a couple things from The Woks of Life that did not in any way resemble either the pictures or what they were like in China and am annoyed at the waste of my time. Chinese language sites suck because they give zero actual direction. I have some okay Sichuanese sources.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone got go-to English recipe sites? I just wasted an evening cooking a couple things from The Woks of Life that did not in any way resemble either the pictures or what they were like in China and am annoyed at the waste of my time. Chinese language sites suck because they give zero actual direction. I have some okay Sichuanese sources.

If you don't have any of her books you could probably just Google around for fuschia dunlop recipes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a couple of her books. I'm actually not a big fan, the things I've made don't taste anything like food in Chengdu, which is quite weird given her background. Not sure what's going on or if I just picked the couple of things she's bad at.

Anyway, as I said, I have Sichuanese sources. I was making Dongbei food today and it did not turn out at all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dehumanize yourself and face to 下厨房

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJsq4QYu9BaxXDk0qR8Ms3w

I get some good stuff from here, but I have limited frame of reference as to what’s actually good or representative of what people actually make. The videos all have recipes at least.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

dang there's a lot of cool stuff on this

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also from Sichuan, but Wang Gang's channel is pretty good nuts and bolts cooking. I think all of the videos have English subtitles available.

Only disclaimer is that there was some recent controversy because he does (or I guess did) his own butchering and fabrication on camera, and some viewers get squicked out by that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0m_Ah8P_MQbnn77-vYnYw

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SubG posted:

Also from Sichuan, but Wang Gang's channel is pretty good nuts and bolts cooking. I think all of the videos have English subtitles available.

Only disclaimer is that there was some recent controversy because he does (or I guess did) his own butchering and fabrication on camera, and some viewers get squicked out by that.
Anyone who can't handle watching a food prepared shouldn't be eating that food in the first place, IMHO. Live with it or eat more vegetables. And anyways, it's a cooking instruction video. How are you supposed to learn how to cook food if he doesn't show you how to cook food...?

I don't think all his videos have English subtitles though. At least a lot of them don't when they're first uploaded, at least. They might get added later.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SubG posted:

He still does and that owns

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think all his videos have English subtitles though. At least a lot of them don't when they're first uploaded, at least. They might get added later.

They have Chinese subtitles so I'm good. My problem with Chinese language sites is Chinese cooks don't use recipes at all. Which is fine after I know what I'm doing but when I'm making something for the first time, I need an exact recipe to follow so I have a baseline to work from. Thus, the uselessness.

Also lol at people complaining about meat cooking videos that include butchery. Where the gently caress do you think the meat is coming from? Christ.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Fuchsia's always been really good for us, but I do think you're right that her recipes are different from what you'd get in restaurants / on the street - I feel it matches closer to what you'd get at someone's home.

Key illustration there for me is her mapo dofu recipe versus the one I learned at cooking class in chengdu. Hers is awesome and tasty, without msg or chicken powder, but slightly different from the generic restaurant version (interestingly, I did find it closer to the 'original' version we ate at Chen).

The cooking class version is a bit easier to make, and uses copious amounts of msg, chicken powder and salt - and gets really close to what you get in restaurants. My wife prefers that one over fuchsia's version for exactly that reason :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I wouldn't say her recipes are bad, but my goal with Sichuan food is to replicate a good Chengdu restaurant and nothing I've tried from her tastes at all similar to what I think of as the basic version of a yuxiang qiezi or hui gou rou or whatever.

Mapo dofu is the one I could deal with the most though, every restaurant makes it so differently that I have no mental standard for it.

To contribute on Sichuan, I've found the Chengdu challenge recipes at https://blog.themalamarket.com to be the closest to that mythical Chengdu restaurant standard I've found yet. The hui gou rou and gan bian sijidou are spot the gently caress on.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh that looks good - I like their recipe for shui zhu yu, will have to give that a go!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

To contribute on Sichuan, I've found the Chengdu challenge recipes at https://blog.themalamarket.com to be the closest to that mythical Chengdu restaurant standard I've found yet. The hui gou rou and gan bian sijidou are spot the gently caress on.

This looks great, thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also lol at people complaining about meat cooking videos that include butchery. Where the gently caress do you think the meat is coming from? Christ.
That was more or less his response: what, when I made a dish with pork did you think the pig committed suicide and chopped himself into little pieces for me?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Realised I needed more doubanjiang and wound up getting stuff for lo mein tonight and beef noodle soup (from that malamarket site) tomorrow 😎

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wanted to gan a bian but it's asparagus season and the green beans looked lovely so I figured, why not.

Works. Need to do an outdoor burner for proper wokking once it warms up though, can't get veggies blistered before they overcook indoors.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Caberham definitely has an employee who hulls and makes the rice by hand which he calls the rice cooker.

Only the finest Japanese short grain please, thank you!

Turns out my friend from Xinjiang is a rice snob. She finds the Japanese short grain passable and the Thai long grain animal feed :(

But she likes starchy corn so...?

Ditto with north east China, got some rice there and drat it’s good

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And come on man you been to my house a bajillion Times I have a rice cooker. My girlfriend and I hauled it over from Shenzhen because Hong Mong electronics are bad and over priced.

Oh and I had sticky congee this morning with consistency or paper mache

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

And come on man you been to my house a bajillion Times I have a rice cooker. My girlfriend and I hauled it over from Shenzhen because Hong Mong electronics are bad and over priced.

Oh and I had sticky congee this morning with consistency or paper mache

yeah I know

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Kenji's lo mein recipe with cabbage, chive and shiitake for dinner. One of my favorite vegan recipes

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

I've really liked https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/ in the past. She has recipes and grew up in Sichuan. Sometimes you'll need to make a best guess as to the next steps, but overall I've liked what I've made. Can't speak to how closely it comes to what you're looking for though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

I've spent a couple hours watching this since you posted it. So much good stuff. I'm right there on it being good to see how the butchering is done, and that's actually a really useful skill that too many people have no idea about doing. Quartering a chicken is still one of those things that pop up on US cooking sites constantly.

My burner is no where near that hot, even with my outdoor one. I idly looked up actual wok burners once, and while they're not the most expensive kitchen implement I've ever looked at, they were still cost prohibitive even if used every day. It will just remain an unfulfilled desire.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Carillon posted:

I've really liked https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/ in the past. She has recipes and grew up in Sichuan. Sometimes you'll need to make a best guess as to the next steps, but overall I've liked what I've made. Can't speak to how closely it comes to what you're looking for though.

Her stuff is okay-ish but usually very weak, doesn't have the flavor depth of food in Chengdu.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don’t understand what’s wrong with this recipe format, op

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/102213820/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

I don’t understand what’s wrong with this recipe format, op

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/102213820/

It doesn't have quantities. "Chop the right amount of garlic" is what I'm talking about for the uselessness of mainland cooking sites. I've never made it, I don't know what the "right amount" is. If I knew that I wouldn't need to look up a recipe.