Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Sorry guys I was being rhetorical.

I think the infrastructure plus spice makes sense but especially the spice. It makes perfect sense to charge a high cost if you are running on the stuff. It's like how fuel surcharges vastly inflate airline tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

andrew smash posted:

The Bene Gesserit skill was to hold one innocuous and boring conversation spoken aloud to fool listeners while simultaneously having the true and secret communication occur with concealed sign language without either suffering losses of fidelity or telltale delays etc. I believe it comes up in Messiah first but I don't remember.

It's not that crazy considering people basically do this in real life, often without any special training.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yes
Ah but Lady Fenring is BG so she had background.

Remember the War of Assassins is the only legal form of conflict, so all of the Great Houses are gonna be good at Tradecraft. Especially the Atreides with their long running feud with the Harkonnen.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The Guild are also the bankers of the setting, which makes sense.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How much is a solaris

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Temaukel posted:

How much is a solaris

About three fiddy, why?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If solaris were ever defined in the original canon i have yet to read or hear it

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

basic hitler posted:

If solaris were ever defined in the original canon i have yet to read or hear it

I'd guess you are correct. I bet @DuneAuthor has, he wouldn't resist. He would also introduce credit chips and other star trek type poo poo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How did Yueh score himself a BG wife? I guess if you're not snagged into a millennia long breeding programme early on you're a free agent?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

How much is a solaris
It's some SVR4 and BSD.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

How did Yueh score himself a BG wife? I guess if you're not snagged into a millennia long breeding programme early on you're a free agent?

It's more like "why did the BG want to marry themselves to Yueh"?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's some SVR4 and BSD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well a Suk doctor with Imperial Conditioning will probably end up somewhere important.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think it's pretty simple. The Guild and the Fremen have more complex currency (always centered around purchasing spice or selling spice, respectively) and so for the rest of the galaxy you just have a standard galactic "dollar": the solari.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
IIRC the Encyclopedia has a page or two about how the Guild is structured like a modern megacorp.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Welcome to Suk zone

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Posting pics of Brad Dourif is anti-Suk.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

muscles like this! posted:

Well a Suk doctor with Imperial Conditioning will probably end up somewhere important.

Yeah and even if he doesn't, there are a lot of Bene gesserits and traits like "was able to succeed in a prestigious medical training school" are probably desirable in some degree to the breeding program without being important on the same level as securing feyd's jizz

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Spermjackers in Space

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

andrew smash posted:

The Bene Gesserit skill was to hold one innocuous and boring conversation spoken aloud to fool listeners while simultaneously having the true and secret communication occur with concealed sign language without either suffering losses of fidelity or telltale delays etc. I believe it comes up in Messiah first but I don't remember.

I think it’s between the jailed Mohaim and Jessica. They definitely recreate that in the miniseries.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still think David Dastmalchian would have made a perfect Count Fenring.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

kiimo posted:

I still think David Dastmalchian would have made a perfect Count Fenring.

He seems a bit young looking against the rest of the cast, thought makeup and sfx could fix that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Welcome to Suk zone

Suk medic, you Fremen

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

madeintaipei posted:

About three fiddy, why?

You're the god drat Loch Ness monster aren't you?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

[Dune Thread] Suk medic, @duneauthor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Brad Pitt actually forgot how to use a computer for this role

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

basic hitler posted:

6,300,000 solaris = 1 gram of spice, according to the appendix in Dune

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Defiance Industries posted:

6,300,000 solaris = 1 gram of spice, according to the appendix in Dune

"Muad’Dib claimed the spice as a key to his prophetic powers. Guild navigators make similar claims. Its price on the Imperial market has ranged as high as 620,000 Solaris the decagram."

A decagram is 10 grams, so 1 gram of spice is 62,000 solaris (so you were only wrong by 10,000% :haw:.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 28, 2019

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bro you bought a gram of cinnamon for 6.3m space bucks.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Space lsd cinnamon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Bro you bought a gram of cinnamon for 6.3m space bucks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This spice is nothing but stems snd shake. You got ripped off bro, those fremen at the mall clowned you.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Far down the corridor, an image-voice screamed: "They denied us the Ganj!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

walis get the snicklefritz

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Far down the corridor, an image-voice screamed: "They denied us the Ganj!"

We will never forgive and we will never forget

Thos nugs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm sad Jared Harris with giant fake eyebrows won't play Thufir.

Actually just make a Dune movie where every role is Jared Harris except for Gurney, who is just Patrick Stewart again.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sad Jared Harris with giant fake eyebrows won't play Thufir.

Actually just make a Dune movie where every role is Jared Harris except for Gurney, who is just Patrick Stewart again.

Patrick is a very talented and experienced classically trained actor, but I still think he was too handsome to be Gurney man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Temaukel posted:

Patrick is a very talented and experienced classically trained actor, but I still think he was too handsome to be Gurney man.

Counterpoint: I can't think of another (living) actor who could make that line about "cattle and loveplay" not sound faintly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Rewatching the Lynch movie and just now noticed that Mohiam says "kull wahad" after Paul keeps his hand in the box. Literally seen this movie more than 20 times and that's the first time I've noticed it.