Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

If it's actually cat5e and it was pulled into the walls, it's most likely solid core. You can, of course, verify by examining the punchdown on any jack.

Hooray, I'm 99% certain this means I do in fact have solid core, Cat5E in my walls. I'm kinda shocked that this time, when the builders chose to use whatever was on the truck they actually went the a good, more expensive option instead of the cheapest crappiest option like they did everywhere else (see my latest plumbing adventure in DIY. . .). I guess the next time I feel like my wallet is too heavy, I might try to get like maybe a pair of 10Gb NICs just to test this dumb idea. On a related note, all my cables are pulled to the same spot and unlabeled. I only have a couple wired as ethernet right now, and in order to find the right cables I went and removed the wall plates then stripped the blue pair, then pulled a couple wires from where they are co-located and stripped the blue pairs, and attached a 9v battery and used a multimeter to figure out which run went where. I'm sure this is ghetto, but it was the free and lazy option at the time. Is there is a better way short of actually like doing it the right way by punching terminals on every cable?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

How fast is the internet at the new place?

1 gigabit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you wire everything, you could get a few patch cables and use a for real ethernet tester

fknlo posted:

1 gigabit.

Honestly for gigabit, I would look at either a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X of some sort or the Ubiquiti USG, then pick up a Ubiquiti accesspoint. The OP is actually up to date on that one. You probably aren’t really going to get gigabit fully over WiFi because WiFi data rates are vastly overstated, but that’s at the level where it makes sense to go from consumer stuff to prosumer/small biz equipment. I have 150mbps and switching to USG and AP Lite made my life so much easier.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 29, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm well jeal of all you mofos rocking speeds like that. I'm sitting on 38 down, 8 up and I feel like you're all living on the moon while I eat rats in the gutter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

A couple to a few hundred bucks max. I'd prefer a lot less than that, but if there's a reason for me to spend that much I don't have any real issue doing so.

Hello fellow Gigabit haver....

I just recently did this myself. I ended up with a Qotom mini Intel i3 PC running PFSense for router purposes, and a single Unifi HD AP for wifi. My house is a single level 1300sqft and I put the AP right smack in the middle of it. It covers the entire house with great signal.

Been very happy with it. The i3 is quite overpowered for pFsense even at Gigabit. But it performs solidly and has been 100% stable which is more than I can say for my older Asus that was supposed to be Gigabit capable. But also this is the tinkerer type option. PFsense is not quite plug in and go like a consumer router.

My connection is 1000/500, and this setup has no problems staying right at 960Mb/500Mb solid on the ISP's speedtest any time of the day.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm well jeal of all you mofos rocking speeds like that. I'm sitting on 38 down, 8 up and I feel like you're all living on the moon while I eat rats in the gutter.

When I was house shopping, it was a big reason I selected the house I did. My previous place had NO landline broadband options at all. It was Verizon 3G/4G or bust. And as a huge IT nerd, this was a problem for me. Seeing the Fiber ONT stuck to the house basically sealed the deal.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly for gigabit, I would look at either a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X of some sort or the Ubiquiti USG, then pick up a Ubiquiti accesspoint.

If you do this don't expect to use advanced QoS without chopping your bandwidth way down as the edgerouter can only do 10-15 MB/s while smart qos is enabled. And, if you do big downloads from places that will saturate gigabit don't listen to the people who tell you you don't need QoS on gigabit.

(It's entirely possible you will be fine without QoS as most people actually don't do big downloads while also trying to voip or game or whatever)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

If you do this don't expect to use advanced QoS without chopping your bandwidth way down as the edgerouter can only do 10-15 MB/s while smart qos is enabled. And, if you do big downloads from places that will saturate gigabit don't listen to the people who tell you you don't need QoS on gigabit.

(It's entirely possible you will be fine without QoS as most people actually don't do big downloads while also trying to voip or game or whatever)

I ran into this a lot with my Asus router... If a Steam/Battle.Net update got going close to 1Gb, anyone streaming in the house would start to have issues. However since switching to the PFSense box this has not happened at all. So I am guessing the root of the problem was most likely the old Asus router bumping into CPU limitations. It would be in excess of 90% CPU usage with such a download running.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah I kinda forgot the pfsense or OPNsense ide, but that would be more in terms of price and time for sure, but give you all the hardware for whatever you could want for the foreseeable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The overwhelming majority of my downloading and stuff should be done over a wired connection. I'd only really do anything like that if I couldn't get a wired connection in whatever room my PC is in. Which is something that I guess could be a possibility at this new place?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've had a gigabit fiber connection at home for almost a decade at this point. I couldn't go back to poo poo internet.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

I've had a gigabit fiber connection at home for almost a decade at this point. I couldn't go back to poo poo internet.

Same here...

When I first moved here and got away from terrible sub 1Mb 3G being my only access. I don't think I saw the sun for a couple weeks. It was like discovering the Internet all over again. And I "only" had 100Mb at the time. (they didnt offer 1Gb yet)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fknlo posted:

The overwhelming majority of my downloading and stuff should be done over a wired connection.

This doesn't matter for the issue we're talking about.

Smart QoS at your router puts a very large load on the CPU of the router. If the router is not powerful enough for the amount of bandwidth you have from your ISP, once it reaches 90+% CPU usage your bandwidth is effectively capped for everyone in the house.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have an Edgerouter Lite with my gigabit internet and I can't imagine ever needing to set up QoS. I haven't found a single service or source that can even close to sending gigabit. And my uses are not light.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I have an Edgerouter Lite with my gigabit internet and I can't imagine ever needing to set up QoS. I haven't found a single service or source that can even close to sending gigabit. And my uses are not light.

Cool, so that and the pro access point should probably work well for me?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

I have the Edgerouter Lite 3, and the UAP AC PRO, and it works great. One AP covers the entire colonial, no issues with several of each phone, laptop, tablet, media device, and a bunch of tp link smart home stuff. I don't have any QoS stuff set up, so I can't speak to that, but it works great with the Fios gigabit.

There's a slight bit of fuckery in setup with fios, you need their router briefly, then you release the IP, and immediately unplug it, and then plug in the Ubiquiti. It's apparently like this for any router on Fios?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fknlo posted:

Christ the night. Where do you live? Got room for a family of 3?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

fknlo posted:

Yup. I've had some friends with gigabit install the Unifi Security Gateway instead of the EdgeRouter Lite and that works fine too. If I had to do it again I might go that route as then they can both managed from the same pane of glass, the Unifi Controller. Either will work fine.

If you're using CenturyLink both can handle creating the PPPoE connection and you don't need their modem.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW Unifi is currently betatesting a new USG-like appliance with built in WiFi, a built in controller, a few LAN ports and very close to gigabit performance with QoS and IDS. Release date unknown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/b0s5ig/unifi_dream_machine_added_to_earlyaccess_store/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Oh that actually looks pretty nice in terms of slotting in between the consumer and small business market. I wonder if we will see the hardware in the next version of the USG

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

FWIW Unifi is currently betatesting a new USG-like appliance with built in WiFi, a built in controller, a few LAN ports and very close to gigabit performance with QoS and IDS. Release date unknown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/b0s5ig/unifi_dream_machine_added_to_earlyaccess_store/

That looks really interesting. Too bad it's not available now.

E: what are the chances that becomes available again on the early access store? It looks like that would be pretty good for me.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Christ the night. Where do you live? Got room for a family of 3?

I went from google fiber in KC to a town with municipal broadband that is even better than google fiber was because of a complete lack of outages.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti missed a trick by not having that all-in-one box able to put out the same WiFi network as the UAPs in terms of roaming. Maybe they can fix it later in software.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti missed a trick by not having that all-in-one box able to put out the same WiFi network as the UAPs in terms of roaming. Maybe they can fix it later in software.

The UDM can adopt other UAP, it just cannot be adopted by an existing controller. The wifi part is equivalent to a UAP-HD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah I misread that thread. Also it's the Meraki devices with Wi-Fi that can't be extended with their own APs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't have gigabit, but usenet easily swamps my 350mbit connection and I see people saying it does on their gigabit connection as well.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Steam does. I do have a content server in the same city so I'm sure that has at least something to do with it, but good lord it will give you a solid blast from the packet firehose without even blinking an eye.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fuuuck me. You gigabit mofos. How can I get sweet speeds where I am in the UK? :britain:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fuuuck me. You gigabit mofos. How can I get sweet speeds where I am in the UK? :britain:

Hyperoptic.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Where can I buy used 1gbe, 1 or 2 port Intel nics with the low-profile bracket, for cheap but are guaranteed to not be counterfeit? I don't really believe anything on ebay to not be fake.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yup. I've had some friends with gigabit install the Unifi Security Gateway instead of the EdgeRouter Lite and that works fine too. If I had to do it again I might go that route as then they can both managed from the same pane of glass, the Unifi Controller. Either will work fine.

Doing a little more research and it seems like the USG is the easier option to deal with while being slightly less capable than the Edgerouter. Is that accurate? I don't need anything too crazy since I'm just planning on a basic home setup.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

fknlo posted:

Doing a little more research and it seems like the USG is the easier option to deal with while being slightly less capable than the Edgerouter. Is that accurate? I don't need anything too crazy since I'm just planning on a basic home setup.

Yeah, that's basically why I mentioned it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's basically why I mentioned it.

Is the cloud key necessary or can you just do everything you might need through the app?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think the app should be fine but I haven't used it. Worst case you can install the controller software on a computer. It doesn't need to be running 100% of the time unless you're doing something like a guest portal on your wifi.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, finally went in deep and added a 16-port POE, 48-port, and an 8-port Unifi switch to my setup:

(the 8-port is remote and running off the 16-port POE - and I can't find my crimping tool which is the reasons for the random cables going into the 16-port and not from the patch panel)

What can I say, but drat - I love POE and love managed switches. The 48-port switch took FOREVER to adopt and upgrade - rebooted multiple times, and wasn't fully finished for at least 20 minutes - long enough I thought I got a bum switch. But everything finally adopted and updated and things are back up and running. The combined 64 switch ports are overkill for my house, but this was cheaper than buying the 48-port POE, and the 16-port is essentially silent, which apparently isn't the case for the higher port count POE switches. The USG is definitely the serious noisemaker in the cabinet, and I picked up some Noctua fans to swap into it next time I can kill the internet for awhile.

With picking up a POE switch, I also picked up a G3 Flex camera to play around with/spy on our dogs, and Unifi protect seems pretty straightforward and easy. Will definitely expand it out to a couple external cameras to watch our front door, etc. With a camera, the 8-port switch, 2 Pro APs, PiHole, and Cloudkey Gen2+, its only pulling about 25W on the dashboard.

Continue to be pretty drat impressed with Unifi, thanks to everyone in the thread who suggested it :cheers:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ROJO posted:

So, finally went in deep and added a 16-port POE, 48-port, and an 8-port Unifi switch to my setup:

(the 8-port is remote and running off the 16-port POE - and I can't find my crimping tool which is the reasons for the random cables going into the 16-port and not from the patch panel)

What can I say, but drat - I love POE and love managed switches. The 48-port switch took FOREVER to adopt and upgrade - rebooted multiple times, and wasn't fully finished for at least 20 minutes - long enough I thought I got a bum switch. But everything finally adopted and updated and things are back up and running. The combined 64 switch ports are overkill for my house, but this was cheaper than buying the 48-port POE, and the 16-port is essentially silent, which apparently isn't the case for the higher port count POE switches. The USG is definitely the serious noisemaker in the cabinet, and I picked up some Noctua fans to swap into it next time I can kill the internet for awhile.

With picking up a POE switch, I also picked up a G3 Flex camera to play around with/spy on our dogs, and Unifi protect seems pretty straightforward and easy. Will definitely expand it out to a couple external cameras to watch our front door, etc. With a camera, the 8-port switch, 2 Pro APs, PiHole, and Cloudkey Gen2+, its only pulling about 25W on the dashboard.

Continue to be pretty drat impressed with Unifi, thanks to everyone in the thread who suggested it :cheers:

I'm not familiar with the Ubiquiti line, so maybe there's something about them I'm missing, but I have two questions looking at his. You only have 10 lines connected here, so what's the point of the 48-port switch, versus running everything off the 16-port? And if you're going to have the two switches, it looks like the USG has two SFP ports, so why daisy chain one off the other rather than just uplinking both switches directly to that?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

guppy posted:

I'm not familiar with the Ubiquiti line, so maybe there's something about them I'm missing, but I have two questions looking at his. You only have 10 lines connected here, so what's the point of the 48-port switch, versus running everything off the 16-port? And if you're going to have the two switches, it looks like the USG has two SFP ports, so why daisy chain one off the other rather than just uplinking both switches directly to that?

So, as far as port count goes, a lot of those in the patch panel are either wired to wall plates that aren't in active use (4 in each room on average, 6 in the office), not wired to the half the house I haven't ripped back to the studs yet, or will eventually be run up into the attic for APs and cameras. I'm sure I won't ever use them all simultaneously, but I wanted to have plenty of flexibility for when I get the whole house setup. According to the dashboard i am using 58/78 ports that Unifi can see (including the 8-port switch at my home theater), and there are at least 12 ports on that patch panel that are wired up in the house with no devices currently on them. That patch panel will be around 80% wired up to the house by the time I finish everything.

As far as the SFP goes, the SFP and WAN ports are tied together in pairs on the USG-4 (but re-assignable to different interfaces), so you can't have both SFP ports active on the LAN interface - the other SFP/WAN pair has to be used to go to my modem. I can't seem to find a way to even enable the RJ45 LAN ports on the same LAN interface as the SFP (can't bridge between the two ports), so I don't think it's unique to using SFP - I would be daisy chaining either way. Willing to admit I may be missing something somewhere in the UI though....

edit: I suppose I could reassign the RJ45 LAN port to WAN and put the modem in there - but I still couldn't assign the second SFP port to the same LAN interface as the other. While I could setup two different LANs and route between them......I'm not that concerned about daisy chaining.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 31, 2019

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nothing in my area apparently. I live in Northern Ireland so looks like I'm SOOL.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

fknlo posted:

Is the cloud key necessary or can you just do everything you might need through the app?

You don't have to have a cloud key. You can run it on a windows or mac to get everything setup, you can also run they cloud key software on a Raspberry Pi if you want full cloud key software running 24/7 and you should probably get a Raspberry Pi anyway if only to run PiHole off of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So apparently there's an issue with the Asus series of routers running OpenWRT, where the 2.4 radio can only handle up to 10 devices? We bought a bunch of nest devices and put them on a VLAN'ed Guest Network, and suddenly it would start dropping previously connected devices. About ready to roll out a Ubiquiti setup...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

So apparently there's an issue with the Asus series of routers running OpenWRT, where the 2.4 radio can only handle up to 10 devices? We bought a bunch of nest devices and put them on a VLAN'ed Guest Network, and suddenly it would start dropping previously connected devices. About ready to roll out a Ubiquiti setup...

Does stock or Merlin firmware have that limitation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

astral posted:

Does stock or Merlin firmware have that limitation?

Unsure if they've updated it, but supposedly it was addressed:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/significant-update-to-2-4ghz-issue-at-least-on-ac3200.47242/