Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm glad someone else caught that.

Yes - It's right there. In spite of the pseudo-science plot arguments, the message remains clear that we're worrying/batttling/compromising our ourselves into oblivion. We hate ourselves?

Digging deeper: https://www.britannica.com/biography/R-D-Laing#ref839299

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Visual that’s still stuck in my head:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It sounds nerdy as gently caress but the opening credits theme reminded me a lot of the music of Nier, which was meant to sound like a mix of Japanese and English millennia in the future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJYbU2D4wgM

I suppose Nier is also about souls/minds driven mad while seeking their 'rightful place'.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 30, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There are so many great things about this movie, but it feels like Peele took a big poo poo all over them with the dumb, cringey deus ex machina of having Red just explain the whole plot and setting at the end. It's exactly the kind of gross plot crap you'd find in an anime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bert of the Forest posted:

I loved him in this. The part where Shadow Josh goes to look for Gabe on the boat and kinda strikes a "Well this is a fine state of affairs" when he can't find him at firstpose had the friend I saw this with laughing hard.

I also thought the OJ Simpson line was interesting, given how much of Peele's work looks to talk about race in America.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

That's not what that means.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

LesterGroans posted:

That's not what that means.

Well she was presumably lowered into the set by the golden escalator... /s

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bert of the Forest posted:

Shadow Josh/"Tex" was really just Tim Heidecker's natural state

Speaking of names anyone catch that all the Tethered clones have names, as indicated by the credits. While only the family's name is given diegetically by Red, the credits list alternate names for the clones, like Josh/"Tex" and Kitty/"Dahlia". The twins follow the naming convention of Jason/Pluto being a Greek mythological figure and astronomical bodies, being named Io and Nix. The Tethered in the boardwalk all have names, my favorites being the vendor carnie that gives Adelaide the Thriller shirt is name "Danny/Tony", another The Shining reference, and the girl playing rock-paper-scissors is credited as "Nancy/Syd".

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
This movie occupies a similar space as Annihilation for me, in that it’s a really cool mess of a movie with a beautifully choreographed clone fight at the end. I already can’t remember most of Annihilation’s plot but recall a few scenes vividly, and I expect this will be the same.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Esme posted:

This movie occupies a similar space as Annihilation for me, in that it’s a really cool mess of a movie with a beautifully choreographed clone fight at the end. I already can’t remember most of Annihilation’s plot but recall a few scenes vividly, and I expect this will be the same.

Annihilation's aged really well imo, but I just don't see that being the case with Us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Annihilation's aged really well imo, but I just don't see that being the case with Us.

It's like a year old.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I think the last time I was in a movie theater was for Get Out, and this really came close to capturing the same brilliance, but I get people's issue with the ending. Given the surreal allegorical theme of dual identity it shouldn't be a fault to stay ambiguous.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This movie had some great stuff going on visually but whew that ending was a mess.

edit: It might be nothing, but one thing I want to think about some more is the distinctly American undercurrent of paranoia that pops up here and there. Between the tunnels, the mention of flouride mind control, body doubles, and the white rabbit imagery there's a lot of conspiracy theory staples.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 31, 2019

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Interesting and not entirely surprising report of an unfinished version seen at a test screening from the Reddit discussion thread:

quote:

I saw a test screening for 'Us' back in December(like two weeks before the first trailer, so we had no idea about the movie other than the small synopsis) and there are some things that were different from the final theatrical release. Mostly minor and one major.

-There was no text about tunnels in the beginning of the movie in the cut I saw, just straight into the hands across america commercial.

-In the beginning at the park, they never really showed Adelaide's parents faces, the were always off screen or out of focus. Not sure of the significance of this change.

-After younger Adelaide sees her Clone, it cuts straight to the psychs office discussing about her lack of communication.

-When they family sees the 11:11 homeless guy in the ambulance, this was cut after the beach instead of before. This probably was a better choice as people could have mistaken the beach clone and regular guy as the same person.

-In our version they didn't show them finding the hidden key, Adelaide does mention it, before gabe rushes to stop them from opening the door.

-We didn't see Clone Gabe actually be gutted by the boat(special effects were probably not finished in our version).

-Instead of 'gently caress the Police' by NWA, it was 'Roxanne' by the Police.

-Biggest change from the version I saw, Red never gave her ex-positional speech about cloning. Just her talking about knowing ballet because of Adelaide. There was only shots of the switch with Red and Adelaide. I like this cut more as it let the viewer draw their own conclusions.

-No final shot of Jason staring Adelaide.

-No shot of Adelaide's parents fighting in the car at all, also no shot of her sinister smile in the cut I saw.

-The were likely not ready for the test screening, but there were no helicopters or fires in the final shot.

-I assume that most of the music wasn't ready for editing for the test screening, so the placeholder music was from 'Signs'. Thought it was an interesting choice.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think most of those were changed correctly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's like a year old.

Yeah, and I like it even more now than I did a year ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To say a year old film has aged well is a bit odd.

Come back to it in 20 years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Us aged very well. I like it more than I did a week ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Us aged very well. I like it more than I did a week ago.

:hmmyes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

To say a year old film has aged well is a bit odd.

Come back to it in 20 years.

i mean, it's semantically the right word to use. There are definitely movies that even a year or two after they come out already seem to have aged really poorly and some that really come into their own after that amount of time, it's not just a generational thing.

for example, because it came out literal months before The Orange Man's Escalator Descent and was about the idea that our world could come together and solve the problems that are immanently threatening us through the power of ideas and innovation, Tomorrowland (which, granted, was not the most well-received movie in the first place) aged about as poorly as a movie can after one or two years, feeling like an antiquated piece of media from a bygone age by the time the 2016 election rolled around. (see also: The Purge: Election Day, a movie where the ending is literally a woman being elected president at the dawn of a new era who would look to end violent conservative policy in her time in office, which sounded great in July 2016 and laughably naive literally just a year later)

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I have a theory based on just one line. When adult Adelaide goes underground, Gabe says "she knows what she's doing" or "she knows what to do" or something like that. At the time I thought this made no sense. Why is he cool with her going down alone? Why does she know what to do? So, my theory is that in a previous edit of the film, Adelaide explains everything to her family, and this is the main reveal rather than Red's monologue as it is in the actual film.

The narration at 2:39 in this trailer, is it in the film?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vtuD5bGpQ&t=159s

If not, I think this might be part of the cut monologue of Adelaide revealing everything to her family (and the audience). This would explain the weird line from Gabe. Also IIRC the actual Red reveal has no actual video of Red speaking, it was a montage, consistent with it being added later.

If I'm right I think the film might have worked better this way and I wonder why they cut it. The Red monologue/montage was terrible pacing and the worst part of the film for me. It's possible the reveal might have felt weird because they had to change how much Adelaide remembers/reveals that she remembers in order to put the twist closer to the end or otherwise turn it into more of a conventional twist ending (or the change could have been for some other random reason)

Or am I completely wrong?

This is a really interesting theory that I'm disappointed didn't get more of a response here. It does seem like maybe there was something weird about the editing, or something changed later, and I don't remember that monologue from the trailer being in the movie. What do y'all think?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

boquiabierta posted:

This is a really interesting theory that I'm disappointed didn't get more of a response here. It does seem like maybe there was something weird about the editing, or something changed later, and I don't remember that monologue from the trailer being in the movie. What do y'all think?

I mean, maybe there was an earlier version of the film where Adelaide remembers she's one of the Tethered early on and tells her family, but I don't think there's a trace of it in the final film.

That line from Gabe is due to the fact that Adelaide knew poo poo was wrong early on and is clearly very capable when it comes to loving up doubles.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Also he couldn't have helped her even if he wanted too; and stopping your kid from running after a murderer is probably a good parenting policy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hope Peele does a commentary track for this; I just watched his commentary on Get Out and it's pleasantly honest.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So the reason the two little girls meet is that one somehow guided the other along the correct mirrored path to reach the exit, right? She should've been stuck at the bottom of that escalator, slowly walking in place, because the girl up top walked suspensefully slow.

It was a really fun scary movie but that part stood out probably due to the excellent comedy bits. It would've been a funny set-up for a gag but had to go unused to let the plot happen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Really enjoyed watching this, was kind of lukewarm coming out of the theater but as I've thought about it I liked it more and more. The exposition/lore is both over explained and also doesn't make any sense but I think the movie works in spite of that. Thematically it clicks, it's just logistically it falls apart immediately under any scrutiny to the point where it should have been left more vague.

Really frustrated when people say they saw the twist coming or that it was super predictable because that's not the point. A good twist isn't just a "gotcha", but recontextualizes the movie and makes its themes richer, which this one does. The tethered aren't just failed monstrous clones, which is how they appear for most of the movie, they are literally regular people just like us, who are just exposed to different circumstances.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Us is like if Donnie Darko had originally been released as the Director's Cut.

BoldestCorgi
Jun 23, 2013
I saw it last night and left the theater feeling extremely annoyed and let down: this movie I’d been expecting to like - which critics are falling over themselves to praise - felt like such a sophomoric mess. The performances, score, cinematography, sets are all great but they’re in service to this incredibly muddled allegory/fairy tale about... something? That Americans are violent? That America has a brutal wealth disparity? It’s like something an ambitious but undisciplined high schooler would write, chucking in every symbol and reference that came to mind and inventing and disposing of rules at whim to keep the narrative moving along. Then, there’s this over-abundance of window dressing details (ambulance foreshadowing, punk shirts, conspicuous 11:11 repetitions) to try to make it seem like a cohesive and well-written story. This movie wants to have its cake and eat it in every way. It wants to be a goofy Shaun of the Dead horror comedy and also a weird Funny Games postmodern examination of violence and also a Tarantino conglomeration of references and pop culture jokes, and by the end I just wasn’t onboard and didn’t care.

That’s what gets me- there are, like, three good movies this could have been — the jokes are funny, the set-piece confrontations in the dark are tense — but instead it’s a bad Frankenstein of all of them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BoldestCorgi posted:

I saw it last night and left the theater feeling extremely annoyed and let down: this movie I’d been expecting to like - which critics are falling over themselves to praise - felt like such a sophomoric mess. The performances, score, cinematography, sets are all great but they’re in service to this incredibly muddled allegory/fairy tale about... something? That Americans are violent? That America has a brutal wealth disparity? It’s like something an ambitious but undisciplined high schooler would write, chucking in every symbol and reference that came to mind and inventing and disposing of rules at whim to keep the narrative moving along. Then, there’s this over-abundance of window dressing details (ambulance foreshadowing, punk shirts, conspicuous 11:11 repetitions) to try to make it seem like a cohesive and well-written story. This movie wants to have its cake and eat it in every way. It wants to be a goofy Shaun of the Dead horror comedy and also a weird Funny Games postmodern examination of violence and also a Tarantino conglomeration of references and pop culture jokes, and by the end I just wasn’t onboard and didn’t care.

That’s what gets me- there are, like, three good movies this could have been — the jokes are funny, the set-piece confrontations in the dark are tense — but instead it’s a bad Frankenstein of all of them.

I'd say this is pretty accurate, tho I still had a good time. Maybe because I wasn't that hyped in the first place. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Us is like if Donnie Darko had originally been released as the Director's Cut.

It's not that bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What did the Tethered do on 9/11?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

BoldestCorgi posted:

I also just saw this, and this is close to how I feel. However, the big reveal of what was actually going on was so batshit ridiculous that it was the one part of the movie, besides the opening, that I was fully on board. I was pretty bored for the rest, so I wish the movie had fully leaned into this weirdness. Instead, the majority of it is just a middling survival thriller with tonal issues.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

P_T_S posted:

Really enjoyed the movie and am still thinking about it days later.

The parts that really were the most disturbing for me were when Red implies during her initial monologue that she gave herself a caesarean section when Pluto was born because Adelaide had one (in a hospital, with a doctor and drugs) when Jason was and when Shadow Kitty is revealed to have two scars after Actual Kitty talks about getting a face lift the previous year during the beach scene. This means that even in the midst of planning this demonstration/revolution/revenge extravaganza the Tethered still mimic their counterparts. Is this forced, done out of habit, performative to avoid boredom or is there a more reciprocal relationship to the tethering that requires them to continue this behavior in order to not arouse suspicion or unease in their surface counterparts?

I assumed that there was some weird thing where everybody who was cloned (which is apparently every single person in the country and they even have kids who turn out the same... millions of sperm and they all fertilize the eggs and come out the same... maybe the sperm all think alike and OWW MY HEAD)... ahem, anyway everybody who was cloned behaves exactly the same and does the same thing at the same time. So even the doctor who did Kitty's face lift has a shadow doctor who does shadow Kitty's facelift, except badly and and incomplete. Adelaide does the caesarean herself for... reasons?

But then you also have weird coincidences like... clones picking out clothes that very-nearly mimick the clothes of their above-ground counterparts. How many articles of clothing are down there, do all the clones have a full wardrobe that's almost identical to the people above ground? It's fun to think about but I don't really care to know the answers, if there are any.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It doesn't really matter, but I assume that it's like a compulsion that's difficult to resist, and is moreso the larger a life event is. Pluto still mimics because he's too young to resist it. And Adelaide was always just a bit special/stronger.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this movie makes more sense if you assume that the clone thing was forever ago, not something invented in the 80s, like as long as there has been america and abandoned tunnels some olde timey alchemist made homunculi then abandoned them somewhere where they bred in the dark and spread out to cover every dark forgotten place. Like they never really call them 'clones" and it being a new DNA invention by science makes it doofy, but if it's just some fundamental aspect of the US that has always been there and underpins all of history then that seems less confusing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like this movie makes more sense if you assume that the clone thing was forever ago, not something invented in the 80s, like as long as there has been america and abandoned tunnels some olde timey alchemist made homunculi then abandoned them somewhere where they bred in the dark and spread out to cover every dark forgotten place. Like they never really call them 'clones" and it being a new DNA invention by science makes it doofy, but if it's just some fundamental aspect of the US that has always been there and underpins all of history then that seems less confusing.
I agree. Red begins her speech at the end with "I believe..." and says that the Tethered wandered without a purpose for generations. She doesn't know any more than we do about why the Tethered exist. If there was anyone in charge, they're long gone before 1986. I took both that and her reverence of God to be one person's struggle to find a meaning behind this hell, because it's existentially scarier to suffer forever for nothing.

I've seen this twice now and it's interesting to me how different the audience reaction was. Completely full show both times, but at one theater the audience got way into it, reacted to everything, loved the jokes. The second time it was dead silent almost the entire time.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 1, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What did the Tethered do on 9/11?

Same thing everyone else did. Block party

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I agree. Red begins her speech at the end with "I believe..." and says that the Tethered wandered without a purpose for generations. She doesn't know any more than we do about why the Tethered exist. If there was anyone in charge, they're long gone before 1986. I took both that and her reverence of God to be one person's struggle to find a meaning behind this hell, because it's existentially scarier to suffer forever for nothing.

Yeah I feel like every review I've seen has talked about the dopplegangers as if they were made like, contemporary with the start of the movie, abandoned that same generation, and there isn't really any indication of that. It makes way more sense if they simply always existed, reaching back as a part of what America is more or less as long as there was america. Made by some original unknowable process long long ago that isn't anything specifically sci-fi. Like we see their weird rabbit warren and like, maybe the government just builds those to house all the shadow people, or maybe their mimicry extends to them building their own weird mirror spaces in the tunnels they inhabit. It doesn't really matter specifically, but it feels like everyone I see talking about this online is taking that place as like THE genetic laboratory where they invented clones then immediately abandoned them a day later or something. Where the movie doesn't seem to indicate that at all and just seems to show it as one random place tethered gather, with an indication at the end that there is millions and millions of tethered, almost certainly one for every american and the text at the start implies they'd live in any old tunnel that is forgotten or left alone, not just that one specific tunnel. Like just imagine this is a distant sequel to the prestige more than the clones being a modern scientific DNA clone thing and it seems less dumb.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 1, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm really curious to see the post release unfolding of this because there are a lot of shots in the trailer that aren't in the final film. I can't imagine a studio tried to bully Peele in an alt edit after he won an Oscar, but there is clearly more film than what we saw in the theatrical release. Hell, the shot of Red running down the hall at the facility completely changes the the pacing of the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked that the Tethered freed all of the rabbits before going above ground