Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I reag AG ages ago but IIRC the rules of this universe weren't very well defined there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Wikipedia says Argus was used to represent something that was all seeing. Even though he wasn't worshipped, maybe being referenced that way is enough for him to manifest in real life.

It would make sense - there's no Technology God, or Media God. And in Season 1, IIRC, Media said something like "time & attention, better than lamb's blood", so it makes sense that if enough people buy into a concept, it becomes "real".

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

BrianWilly posted:

Faeries are explicitly old world gods who evolved (devolved?) over time into minor spirits who were nonetheless placated with offerings and gifts. Djinn were worshipped in pre-Islamic Arabia and eventually got incorporated into the Quran itself.

I see the narrative concept behind the mythical thousand-eyed watchman being "updated" into a modern sci-fi militaristic surveillance monster, but it also stretches the central conceit of this story a bit. I feel like the AG "world" works best when it focuses on these old tired struggling gods as parables of the immigrant experience and not when it's going bit...urban fantasy?...with these myths.

This is sort of where I'm at. Argus doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the narrative's internal logic, since ifrits and djinni and leprechauns still exist in the consciousness of the public through the Quran, movies, cereal boxes, etc. Hell, some people still make faerie rings because they like what they represent, even if they don't totally understand the point of them from the perspective of their ancestors. The fact that there's so much confusion over who the mythological Argus was in just this thread alone sort of proves the point that it doesn't make much sense to include him. No one knows who he is without looking him up.

The overall concept of surveillance being a part of the new paradigm of worship makes total sense, though, and I think it's worth including in the show. It probably could have just been rolled into part of New Media's character to hammer the point home that while she's the new aspect of what she represents, she's hardly the new kid on the block.

All that said, I'm enjoying the show immensely and I love the over the top stuff they do with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It could just be that Argus claimed whatever "worship" that surveillance was getting

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

It could just be that Argus claimed whatever "worship" that surveillance was getting

yeah, who knows if surveillance extends to gossip and rumour as well, whatever way someone can keep an "eye" on someone else even if its BS

but the UK CCTV network alone should be enough "faith" to keep a surveillance god sustained, nevermind whatever lunch China's efforts provide. Plus every other camera feed. Boy's full.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BrianWilly posted:

Oh I thought Argus looked great (...heh)

It's simply that Argus in mythology isn't a god and Argus in history was never worshiped by anyone so I simply don't understand why he's treated like the other gods here. And I feel like we really have a set some ground rules for what sort of myth and magic is actually allowable in this world, or else it's going to fall victim to the sort of internal inconsistency that plagues a lot of other fictional settings.
Yeah I think Gaiman was like "What would be a good mythology thing to rep Mass Surveillance" more surprising since he typically likes to not do Classical Mythology in his stories. Maybe he was talking to Rick Riordan when he came up with this?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I understood the tentacle thing as Argus being kind of a loner who just sat in his basement/building all day and watched people, but never interacted him them, like the worst nerd stereotypes. New Media was manipulating him by giving him attention and indulging in his animu fetish.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Oasx posted:

I understood the tentacle thing as Argus being kind of a loner who just sat in his basement/building all day and watched people, but never interacted him them, like the worst nerd stereotypes. New Media was manipulating him by giving him attention and indulging in his animu fetish.
I thought it just meant new media is "in bed" with surveillance culture?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New Media just wanted bandwidth.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
bandwidtthhhh

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think part of the deal with gods (and other myths) is that they need Belief, not worship. It just comes down to the fact that worship is the easiest avenue to belief, but other ones exist.

The whole gods need prayer is something Gaiman recycled from the Sandman, and towards the end of the series Bast, god of cats, scrounges up enough belief from a single child seeing a majestic looking cat at a cat show.

Vulcan did it in season 1 by attaching his name to weapons manufacturing, and World offers a similar deal to Wednesday. Argus just attached himself to the concept of surveillance and thrived off of it.

Though really they could have chosen a more identifiable character than that to fit the narrative. I don't remember him from the book, although it's been like half a decade since I read it last. Supposedly Gaiman was too busy with Good Omens to be too involved in this season, so I think Argus is original to the show.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Malpais Legate posted:

I think part of the deal with gods (and other myths) is that they need Belief, not worship. It just comes down to the fact that worship is the easiest avenue to belief, but other ones exist.

The whole gods need prayer is something Gaiman recycled from the Sandman, and towards the end of the series Bast, god of cats, scrounges up enough belief from a single child seeing a majestic looking cat at a cat show.

Vulcan did it in season 1 by attaching his name to weapons manufacturing, and World offers a similar deal to Wednesday. Argus just attached himself to the concept of surveillance and thrived off of it.

Though really they could have chosen a more identifiable character than that to fit the narrative. I don't remember him from the book, although it's been like half a decade since I read it last. Supposedly Gaiman was too busy with Good Omens to be too involved in this season, so I think Argus is original to the show.

Heimdall is right there, guys.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I vaguely thought Shadow was Heimdall? Or Baldur or someone like that?

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I assumed Shadow is the idea of the New Americana; defined as much by its almost militant acceptance of others as it is the prosecution it's facing from the its predecessors (anti-millennialism, xenophobia).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Beefeater1980 posted:

I vaguely thought Shadow was Heimdall? Or Baldur or someone like that?

In the book Shadow is just a nickname, his birth name is Balder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Flatscan posted:

In the book Shadow is just a nickname, his birth name is Balder.

Is this a huge spoiler?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Haven’t read the book so I’ve been wondering why Shadow is so important. After the last episode I figured Odin was his deadbeat dad. So that name would definitely lend credence to that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

Is this a huge spoiler?

The book doesn't really do anything with it, it's just kind of a reveal to make you go "oh"

So this new episode is starting great. Game Boy Tetris, Faith No More, and AI music.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ok yeah that episode loving owned for Orlando Jones destroying the scenery alone

I mean god. drat. "And the lucky ones go from school to the NFL, where they can't even take a motherfuckin' knee"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did... Shadow just have a real youtube moment with the cat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was so much better than last week, and the opening sequence was great.

I'm genuinely surprised they were actually able to make me feel some degree of sympathy for Technical Boy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have literally no idea what even happened.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't we just have Orlando Jones reading the news as Nancy.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last season was mostly pretty good, this season is mostly pretty bad.

Ok that's all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Guys?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I liked season 1, I'm liking season 2, just a bit less than season 1. That is my lukewarm take. My feeling is that this season so far has been less.. I dunno, cohesive? Probably (at least partially) due to the behind the scenes shenanigans with changing showrunners and so on. Also, while the episode they ended S1 on was a good finale, I kind of feel like the pacing of this season would have been vastly improved by having the house on the rock stuff happen at the end of S1 (which I think had been the original plan?).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What happened in this episode. I thought I wasn’t paying enough attention but I rewatched parts and I still don’t get it.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

MiddleOne posted:

I'll try.

Shadow hosed a cat, and then he and Wednesday went to a diner for Money.

Bilquis showed up in Cairo just as Shadow left. She, Anansi, and Ibis (and maybe Bast-cat) had a discussion about the state of African gods in America and whether or not a war is really in their interests. A mourner at the funeral home named Ruby helped flesh some of that out too.

Money was guarded by three Girl Scouts. Shadow's credit score is apparently poo poo, so he couldn't buy any thin mints.

The World blamed Technical Kid for not paying the CCTV cable bill, so TK had to replace Argus somehow. He turned to a friendless tech-industrialist to turn cell phones into spying devices. New Media showed the industrialist some new code, and she's his BFF now. Technical Kid realizes he's basically made himself obsolete since New Media just swallowed up his believers, and Mr. World sent TK to the Clockwork Orange place with a facehugger.

Swearengen Wednesday finally got EB Money talking but couldn't recruit him to his side. Money will be neutral, and the World was happy about that.

Spoiled since I don't think the ep has actually aired yet.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Orlando Jones stuff was real good, and I'm going to miss that giant douche.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hope Technical Boy isn't out for good right after they actually made him kind of sympathetic :(

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Where's Anubis been all season? Was he another casualty of the change in showrunners?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So what exactly was technical boy? I thought he was technology, but he was just digital music invented by a friendless nerd?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They made it out like he was order or routine, with the whole "this is how we pray" thing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was the song at the start? The piano one, not the one on the record

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

MiddleOne posted:

American Gods are inspiration, Technical Boy inspired him on hardware in his youth and failed to do so as a grown up CEO. New Media provided a new form of code/Machine Coding and it gave him(CEO) a new source of insight. Hardware wasn't his focus, coding was. Technical Boy coded himself out of existence.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

So what exactly was technical boy? I thought he was technology, but he was just digital music invented by a friendless nerd?

All the talk of "i was your only friend" made me think he was that universe's version of Myspace Tom. He had nobody in his life but Technical Boy, who gave him some sort of spark that allowed him to start whatever that business was. A facebook/social type company where he is your 'friend' by default. There was nothing supporting that really, just where my mind went. And I hope he comes back, Odin does owe him a favor for Argus...

My question: Media is Media, Money is...money, Argus was surveillance, but what is Mr. World, exactly? Does he just represent like....the concept of the world? Is he Father Earth, or Gaia? Or the concept of the illuminati? What IS he exactly?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 1, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mr World is basically the illuminati yeah. He's the "they" when people talk about what they do.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Mr World is both They and Globalism.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bring back old gbs posted:

All the talk of "i was your only friend" made me think he was that universe's version of Myspace Tom. He had nobody in his life but Technical Boy, who gave him some sort of spark that allowed him to start whatever that business was. A facebook/social type company where he is your 'friend' by default. There was nothing supporting that really, just where my mind went.

I thought it was a reference to what a lot of programmers tend to do as kids getting started, getting a computer program to answer/greet them "Hello Friend"? It was just in this case, the program answering,"Hello Friend" was given form/divinity.

Ironically, another common phrase used is,"Hello World", and Mr. World is the guy who walks in and heralds the end of Technical Boy by giving his only friend a replacement God in New Media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerusalem posted:

I thought it was a reference to what a lot of programmers tend to do as kids getting started, getting a computer program to answer/greet them "Hello Friend"? It was just in this case, the program answering,"Hello Friend" was given form/divinity.

Ironically, another common phrase used is,"Hello World", and Mr. World is the guy who walks in and heralds the end of Technical Boy by giving his only friend a replacement God in New Media.

hah I forgot about Hello World. good catch