Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

coffeetable posted:

considering the entire rest of the economy is going to be online-only in the near future, i'd think it'd be easier to teach the 65 yos than build services around them

and the 75 yos group is going to be dead by the time any of this happens

So if we guillotine everyone above 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

coffeetable posted:

i like the idea of a state-owned bank in general, but dropping a shitload of cash on brick-and-mortar branches is a bit daft in 2019. found a public online-only bank, and go the whole hog on converting libraries from paper repositories to places where people who are not comfortable with this internet thing can be helped out

also give everyone an account at the state-owned bank and do all individual-v-government transactions through it

One major problem for a lot of small businesses, particularly retailers, outside of the cities (and even in many cities) is that all the other banks have already done this meaning they have to travel long distances to deposit cash. The whole point of government-owned enterprises is to do stuff the private sector can't be bothered to do, to the benefit of the community as a whole.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

coffeetable posted:

considering the entire rest of the economy is going to be online-only in the near future,

Yep, just going to get my hair cut and a new bathroom installed over the internet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't the post office already do banking?

I mean it's a nice thought but it's going to necessitate actually building bigger post offices which is gonna be a bit hard when most of them are stuffed in the back of other shops.

It's not like there aren't plenty of closed-up shops in every high street in the country they could use.

coffeetable posted:

i like the idea of a state-owned bank in general, but dropping a shitload of cash on brick-and-mortar branches is a bit daft in 2019. found a public online-only bank, and go the whole hog on converting libraries from paper repositories to places where people who are not comfortable with this internet thing can be helped out

also give everyone an account at the state-owned bank and do all individual-v-government transactions through it

yeah gently caress the old, poor and blind amirite

e: also whoever thinks Weetman is somehow some sort of internet celebrity now is severely overestimating how representative this thread and/or political twitter are compared to the average UK person

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yep, just going to get my hair cut and a new bathroom installed over the internet.

My barbers has a contactless card reader if I want to pay that way and I paid for my boiler installation using a bank transfer

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like cash. It doesn't bleed information.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1112040402671030274?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

His Divine Shadow posted:

The world really is hosed up when Jim Carrey is a voice of reason

A broken clock etc

Except tories they’re never right

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like cash. It doesn't bleed information.
The look they gave me in the post office when I, a habitual debit card user, withdrew a couple of hundred quid a while ago suggests that yes, it does

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Got my hands in some cash recently but clerks aren't handling it well.

Bought some food and the total came out to 10 euros and 25 cents. I gave him 20 euros and 25 cents and the guy gave me receipt and we stared at each other awkwardly for a while. When I asked for my change he had to get a manager because he had already punched in 10,25 with no change :v:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol if you think you’re not being tracked up the rear end nowadays even if you go 100% cash

Unless you’re in like Latin America but that’s by design because everyone is avoiding taxes all the time, especially the people making the laws

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

My barbers has a contactless card reader if I want to pay that way and I paid for my boiler installation using a bank transfer

Neither of those are "online-only" though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jose posted:

oh cool is this the bit where we assume that one person's particular circumstances must be the same for the entire population

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

It's not like there aren't plenty of closed-up shops in every high street in the country they could use.

Well yeah it's definitely doable but it's not quite as simple as just using the existing post offices, you would need proper branches.

Which is fine, because like, the post office is useful and would be well served as a general point of contact for all sorts of government poo poo as well as handing out all your forms and stuff. But it'd be better done as that rather than just "make the post office do banking".

Even when the world tranisitons more to online that's only going to increase the amount of post, cos everyone's now getting poo poo delivered. Which is why we have amazon lockers and poo poo. There's definitely room for a post office expansion.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 31, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

oh cool is this the bit where we assume that one person's particular circumstances must be the same for the entire population

No and I don't think moving online only is a good idea but I loving hate carrying cash if I can avoid it

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I already use my post office for bank transactions, because all the bank branches have closed. This would just mean that the money got to my account faster.

Well, perhaps I also might not have to trek across the county for anything more complicated, and my savings could be put to better use by the PO than by the banks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

3D printed bathrooms.

Obliterati posted:

Have you ever tried teaching old people to computer

Fond memories of the weeks it took to convince my grandad to stop holding the mouse to the actual screen
My grandad learned to type in the army, because producing reports for some officer to glance over is often infinitely preferable to doing the things within them. He then got a job as a machinist in the 50s, programming mills with either paper tapes or hand set cams.

Machinery and typing were fine for him, but apparently combining the two was 'bollocks' and he never bothered with computers at all. There's a certain mindset that "they couldn't ever contain anything useful for me" that's common above a certain age.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

No and I don't think moving online only is a good idea but I loving hate carrying cash if I can avoid it

Carrying cash is great. If you don't want your cash I'll happily accept it in any denomination except coppers.

I feel like my refusal to pay by plastic marks me out as really unusual and old fashioned but I just find it so much easier to know what money I've got and not spending more than it because I otherwise have the budgeting skills of a 3 year old.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 31, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Carrying cash is great. If you don't want your cash I'll happily accept it in any denomination except coppers.

Might be taking ACAB a bit far there, mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to talk innovation why has nobody invented a funnel for the self service checkout so you can just dump all your coppers in it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Like combine the change-eating machine and the self checkout but without the 15% fee? I like it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

I feel like my refusal to pay by plastic marks me out as really unusual and old fashioned but I just find it so much easier to know what money I've got and not spending more than it because I otherwise have the budgeting skills of a 3 year old.

Tory MPs posted:

Have you tried being rich, instead?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thanks for all the interesting ineffashency posts! No wonder the Nazis kept trying to get hold of Jesus's magic relics

Julio Cruz posted:

e: also whoever thinks Weetman is somehow some sort of internet celebrity now is severely overestimating how representative this thread and/or political twitter are compared to the average UK person

Yeah of course, but I keep reading responses to random stuff and there are people @ing her all the time to bring the conversation to her attention specifically, it's just :chloe:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Like combine the change-eating machine and the self checkout but without the 15% fee? I like it.

Yeah, I mean I know why because the fee is the point but I feel like if you had some kind of really cheap coin funnel you could put the change machine out of business.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to talk innovation why has nobody invented a funnel for the self service checkout so you can just dump all your coppers in it?
Because they want you to use the coinstar machines that scalp 12% or whatever from the top.

If it's a slow day at Tesco and there's no queue I will happily drop all my 10ps in one at a time than pay that.

efb

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, I mean I know why because the fee is the point but I feel like if you had some kind of really cheap coin funnel you could put the change machine out of business.

Don't the change machines in the supermarkets usually waive the fee if you're willing to take a voucher for the supermarket? I haven't used one in years but I seem to remember that being an option the last time I did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like the coinstar machine except instead of turning your change into fewer, smaller coins, it turns your change into biscuits.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

3D printed bathrooms.

My grandad learned to type in the army, because producing reports for some officer to glance over is often infinitely preferable to doing the things within them. He then got a job as a machinist in the 50s, programming mills with either paper tapes or hand set cams.

Machinery and typing were fine for him, but apparently combining the two was 'bollocks' and he never bothered with computers at all. There's a certain mindset that "they couldn't ever contain anything useful for me" that's common above a certain age.

That's what you are going to complaining on the kids on dub dub dub dot something awful dot come when your grand children are jacking into the matrix directly from their spines.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Unfortunately I was born to the wrong family. Ruddy nuisance I'll tell you.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

tino posted:

That's what you are going to complaining on the kids on dub dub dub dot something awful dot come when your grand children are jacking into the matrix directly from their spines.

This is already happening. I was an early adopter computer nerd all my life but now I’m like an old man regarding the young ‘uns and their instagrams and snapchats which I know fuckall about and I have zero interest in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Same for touchscreens. Hate them. Want a physical keyboard instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most of the big banks used to have coin counters at inner city branches for the shops and the market, then just at their out of town commercial branches, and now nowhere at all.

It's easier to get some change bags and a good set of kitchen scales now and use the local nationwide than find anywhere with a non-coinstar coin counter, whereas 10 years ago I could think of at least half a dozen.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Guavanaut posted:

Because they want you to use the coinstar machines that scalp 12% or whatever from the top.

If it's a slow day at Tesco and there's no queue I will happily drop all my 10ps in one at a time than pay that.

efb

I will always without fail throw way too much change in to a self service checkout, sometimes dropping coins in the process.

I cannot be stopped.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Guavanaut posted:

3D printed bathrooms.

Same actually, maybe the solution is staring us in the face - National Service for pensioners

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

forkboy84 posted:

Getting a hip card like a Monzo literally allows you to track all of this better than you ever could with cash, and you can round everything up and save the pennies away.

Get a Curve card too for multiple cards/safety & a Revolut for travel & insurance.

Also pray the entire fintech ecosystem doesn't totally crash and keep most of your money in a Real Bank account.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

This is already happening. I was an early adopter computer nerd all my life but now I’m like an old man regarding the young ‘uns and their instagrams and snapchats which I know fuckall about and I have zero interest in
I will happily jack into the matrix and geek out over new tech, but I'm not loving joining Instagram :corsair:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

tino posted:

I mean, that's already how I feel about twitter and instagram

Edit: :hfive: Guavanaut

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I will die before I use one of those Coinstar machines. I don't care how nasty a glare I get from the girl at the bank when I dump £200 worth of coppers onto the desk. If I've bothered to hoard all this poo poo you better believe I'm going to sort, count and bag it all like a gleefull little greedy goblin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The first generation self checkout machines did exactly that, but people got confused by "thing to put money in" that wasn't a slot and kept throwing in notes, credit cards, old receipts, grape stems and just about every other object they can think of.

If you look at the old NCR machines they still use at most Tescos you can see that the coin slot is actually a blanking plate over the funnel for the change counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first generation self checkout machines did exactly that, but people got confused by "thing to put money in" that wasn't a slot and kept throwing in notes, credit cards, old receipts, grape stems and just about every other object they can think of.

If you look at the old NCR machines they still use at most Tescos you can see that the coin slot is actually a blanking plate over the funnel for the change counter.

I figured that, well, unsanitized inputs would be why they weren't issued with one as standard.