Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

cargo cult posted:

is there really a chance he doesnt get reelected? idk why but in the last month or so its started to feel really inevitable for some reason

Trump has a super hard ceiling around 38-42%. For however bad that fact is, don't forget that strong disapproval is right around 50% of the entire country. It all depends on just how motivated everyone is to get out and vote.

Help us, Bernie Sanders. You are our only hope.

Cat Tax:

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im actually kind of coming around to the idea that sanders is the best candidate for the GE, and maybe the only one who can beat trump. i mean granted its inherently obvious that hed do well with white people in the great lakes and rust belt.

that being said i dont think that matters to the DNC and they will ratfuck him again. i also think his base of support in the primary electorate is kind of limited to young people.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's super clear that corporate media and the DNC emphatically don't want him to win. It's a major uphill battle.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wow this is pretty slimy. nothing he says actually contradicts her, but he's throwing around a bunch of irrelevant information to try to make her look like a liar

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The most cursed tweet

https://twitter.com/First_Dog_USA/status/1112071222446252035?s=19

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't remember biden being alone with her!!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lol everytime I see someone say he's just affectionate and a hugger, I want to tell them to find a picture of him crawling over another man, with his face buried in his hair.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lol, why does it even matter if they were alone together or not? Biden does that poo poo surrounded by people and cameras.

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'm down with them trying to recreate the Donny phenomenon. It'll lead to a series of failures based on the mistaken belief that Donny isn't a unique, masterwork buffoon. The only way he works at all is by an utterly improbable set of contradictory and poisonous traits combining in a specific circumstance. The fascism, astounding racism, corruption, and disregard for the "rules" don't work unless the candidate is utterly without shame, uncaring about any consequences, able to deny any reality with a straight face, overly willing to commit even the dumbest crimes, and entertaining when doing it.

I just wanted to quote this because of how poetically it sums up what a unique piece of human garbage he is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

wow this is pretty slimy. nothing he says actually contradicts her, but he's throwing around a bunch of irrelevant information to try to make her look like a liar

One might go so far as to call it malarkey. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i do worry a lot about trump turning into reagan when i'm older but the problem for trump is we have so much video and his tweets and poo poo. reagan said a lot of dumb poo poo but you really gotta go digging for it and a lot of it wasn't on camera.

theblackw0lf posted:

About the Current Affairs article. I do want to read the book to make sure he’s being judged fairly and whether my assessment changes with more context, but right now I found that piece highly distributing and raised serious red flags for me. And honestly I’m having a hard time picturing reading anything different that would change my mind

nathan robinson is the best writer in politics right now and i got a feeling he aint trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 31, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump won't be out of office for a week before both the WAPO and NYT are writing cloying articles about what a fun guy he was and where has the excitement gone from politics? People forget just how loving horrible both Bushes were and the entire media has been in over drive rewriting history so they are both elder statement.

Bush Sr literally wrote the template for what Trump is doing now with how he covered up Iran Contra to absolve himself of crimes but yeah he conducted himself with honor and dignity. American media likes to pretend it's this forth estate and holding truth to power or whatever but their defining characteristic is they will bootlick whatever authority invites them to the coolest barbeques.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 31, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

Trump won't be out of office for a week before both the WAPO and NYT are writing cloying articles about what a fun guy he was and where has the excitement gone from politics? People forget just how loving horrible both Bushes were and the entire media has been in over drive rewriting history so they are both elder statement.

Bush Sr literally wrote the template for what Trump is doing now with how he covered up Iran Contra to absolve himself of crimes but yeah he conducted himself with honor and dignity. American media likes to pretend it's this forth estate and holding truth to power or whatever but their defining characteristic is they will bootlick whatever authority invites them to the coolest barbeques.

This effect will be even worse if he dies in office after consuming one too many fast food meals. The :decorum: dial gets turned up to 11 for dead politicians, no matter how ghastly they are. Remember John McCain's funeral?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do worry a lot about trump turning into reagan when i'm older but the problem for trump is we have so much video and his tweets and poo poo. reagan said a lot of dumb poo poo but you really gotta go digging for it and a lot of it wasn't on camera.

Also Reagan was a gifted enough actor to actually pull off selling his bullshit well enough to convince most of the country that he was basically doing the right things. Trump's deranged hot brain word salad style of speaking doesn't exactly create the same type of effect.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 31, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

McCain was some sort of god to the DC media class. Bush Sr got basically a day of people saying how cool he was and the last Gentleman President or whatever. McCain had a week of all day coverage and no less than three different funeral services and by the end I thought at least one pundit was going to throw themselves into the hole screaming for death not to take him from us. It was like a literal king died where everyone had to show just how much they were mourning our maverick icon. It was absolutely grotesque in its decadence.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HenryJGomez/status/1112341296419667969

This is... probably not going to help Biden very much.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Biden really can't apologize or admit error. It's almost pathological.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

McCain was some sort of god to the DC media class. Bush Sr got basically a day of people saying how cool he was and the last Gentleman President or whatever. McCain had a week of all day coverage and no less than three different funeral services and by the end I thought at least one pundit was going to throw themselves into the hole screaming for death not to take him from us. It was like a literal king died where everyone had to show just how much they were mourning our maverick icon. It was absolutely grotesque in its decadence.

Personally I think the difference there is that McCain died while still in office, while Bush Sr had been retired for decades. If Trump dies while in office (inshallah), he's gonna get like 2 weeks of news coverage and like 10 funeral services because :qq: The President Has Died :qq:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Biden really can't apologize or admit error. It's almost pathological.

The power of being a mediocre white man.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1112363288648708097?s=21

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lol Bernie stfu.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those are some odd comments.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol Bernie stfu.

The most charitable interpretation is that Bernie knows there are literally hundreds of other incidents which does make it disqualifying.

It could have been phrased a lot better.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It appears pretty succ, but I can promise you that Bernie, like the rest of us who are paying attention, knows that this isn’t an isolated incident.

With that in mind, it’s actually a nasty attack on Biden: if there were a bunch of incidents like this (which we all know there were) then it disqualifies Biden for President.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

The most charitable interpretation is that Bernie knows there are literally hundreds of other incidents which does make it disqualifying.

It could have been phrased a lot better.

Tbh it’s more like “stfu and let Biden gently caress up” but yeah Bernie should’ve stopped after the second part.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Tbh it’s more like “stfu and let Biden gently caress up” but yeah Bernie should’ve stopped after the second part.

:hai: “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.” - Sun Tzu

But also he's gonna be forced to comment about this stuff, all the media does is ask questions about whatever the hot button Twitter issue of the day is. Saying "no comment" comes across as cowardly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

From my cynical and ill-informed perspective, I think that was just some careful rear end covering.

Biden hasn't even announced yet, but the news outlets keep saying he's totally the front-runner when he does.
If Bernie called for Biden to be disqualified, Biden's bootlickers would be all over the narrative of "Maybe it is Sanders who is feeling the burn, because Biden makes him nervous as competition you see... :smuggo:"

That, and like it was mentioned above, Bernie knows there are going to be other MeToo's come out against Biden before this year is done, especially once/if he officially declares.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guys, it turns out Biden is just old school and people used to be more affectionate

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What are you expecting? Bernie is not going to brazenly claim that the effective front runner of this race is disqualified.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

the_steve posted:

From my cynical and ill-informed perspective, I think that was just some careful rear end covering.

Biden hasn't even announced yet, but the news outlets keep saying he's totally the front-runner when he does.
If Bernie called for Biden to be disqualified, Biden's bootlickers would be all over the narrative of "Maybe it is Sanders who is feeling the burn, because Biden makes him nervous as competition you see... :smuggo:"

That, and like it was mentioned above, Bernie knows there are going to be other MeToo's come out against Biden before this year is done, especially once/if he officially declares.

This, plus it's advantageous for Bernie if other more centrist candidates (or the media) take down Biden for him.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

cargo cult posted:

is there really a chance he doesnt get reelected? idk why but in the last month or so its started to feel really inevitable for some reason

Trump is absolutely getting a second term. I think we're going to realize that 2016 was the last chance to stop our descent into right wing fascism and we blew it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the_steve posted:

The Kingfish posted:

What are you expecting? Bernie is not going to brazenly claim that the effective front runner of this race is disqualified.

I don't think any of this matters nearly as much as coming out strong against sexual assault. especially since that's a topic that the media is almost definitely going to weaponize against him. As a straight old white man who's had previous accusations of harassment problems in his campaign, he really needs to come out strong against harassment.

Y'all are basically saying that being publicly nice to Biden is more important than standing up for his victims. That's the exact line of thinking that leads to powerful molesters getting away with it for so long.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

smg77 posted:

Trump is absolutely getting a second term. I think we're going to realize that 2016 was the last chance to stop our descent into right wing fascism and we blew it.

smg77 posted:

Bernie's biggest accomplishment was getting Trump elected and really sticking it to the neolibs.

Not sure I trust your radar there, buddy.:thunk:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Majorian posted:

Not sure I trust your radar there, buddy.:thunk:

Bernie helped get Trump elected in 2016 and now he's working to get him reelected. It's not a complicated theory.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
So I picked up the current affairs piece on the butt man this morning and read it all the way through.

The butt man has been cancelled, and we're back to two potential candidates.

Warren and Bernie need to work together to start clearing the field . Warren could do a lot of good by being more of an attack dog on he own party. Start calling out the corrupt practices more vocally the way AOC has been doing.

Bernie's comments on touchy feely joe are fine, as it obviously implies that multiple events like the one describe could be disqualifying. Bernie knows that Biden has a history of this behavior so he's just trying to lead a horse to water with that. The press has to decide that they want to make an issue of it.

I absolutely think Trump can win again, and anyone who is deciding now that he can't is delusional.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

smg77 posted:

Bernie helped get Trump elected in 2016 and now he's working to get him reelected. It's not a complicated theory.

How is he working to get Trump reelected?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

smg77 posted:

bernie would've won. not as an "i told you so" but in a "this is how we win going forward".

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

Shut the gently caress up and put smg on ignore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Shut the gently caress up and put smg on ignore

I'm gonna put you on ignore if you don't mind your p's and q's, buster.:colbert:

Seriously, though, I want to hear his answer, if he has one. I won't even argue with it, I just want to know why anybody thinks this way.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

guys a coward and won’t ever explain it , I bet it’s some mealy mouthed “he he he sabotaged Hillary ! Any Democrat is better than Trump” bullshit

I couldn’t care less if trump wins again because we nominate a neo liberal no different from him

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm gonna put you on ignore if you don't mind your p's and q's, buster.:colbert:

Seriously, though, I want to hear his answer, if he has one. I won't even argue with it, I just want to know why anybody thinks this way.

Relitigating 2016 with idiots has been done approximately one billion times and ruined hundreds of threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Relitigating 2016 with idiots has been done approximately one billion times and ruined hundreds of threads

He's saying Bernie's going to ruin this election too, though. That's why I'm asking.