Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hlpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hermit crabs best crabs.

I had a bunch of them as pets when I lived on the east coast and they owned, I've tried having them as pets here in Arizona and the dry climate just straight-up kills them. :( I mean I could probably rig up an elaborate and expensive automated misting system to keep the tank humid, but I haven't really done any research on it.

I'm also extremely confident one of my cats would try and get into the tank for some fresh seafood, and the hermit crabs would gently caress him up.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

naem
May 29, 2011

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Behold, the glass shell! So you can see how your hermit crab's weird sluggy crabdomen is twisted all up in there, and also save the real shells for the wild hermits who are actually literally running out of shells and resorting to beach garbage because people keep stealing them for their pets :psyduck:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1112900325608837120

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

McSpanky posted:

Behold, the glass shell! So you can see how your hermit crab's weird sluggy crabdomen is twisted all up in there, and also save the real shells for the wild hermits who are actually literally running out of shells and resorting to beach garbage because people keep stealing them for their pets :psyduck:

:stonk: this isn't cute like hermits are supposed to be! at all! It's super hosed up!

… oh. oh hey bill. Yeah I was crabbin too.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

This kills the crab

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SniperWoreConverse posted:

:stonk: this isn't cute like hermits are supposed to be! at all! It's super hosed up!

Ever gotten a good look at a hermit crab’s mouth? Yeah don’t, if you want to keep thinking they’re cute. I used to let them eat stuff out of my hand and I’d be all “awww this is adorable and awesome”, and then I got a good look at one’s mouth and saw that it was this whirling, lovecraftian maw of interwoven mandibles and poo poo and suddenly it wasn’t adorable anymore. :stonk:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Yeah, then it was awesome

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT3DGS2CK_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyeFSq3STM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDcIgTb48g

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

I was not aware eels had a second set of smaller mandibles that's kind of cool but it isn't helping my thalassophobia at all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

redm posted:

I was not aware eels had a second set of smaller mandibles that's kind of cool but it isn't helping my thalassophobia at all.

Don’t worry. Most eels are small and taste good.

Most.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

McSpanky posted:

Alternatively, leave a bunch of these glass shells on a beach and watch the tourists run in fear.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Xenomrph posted:

Ever gotten a good look at a hermit crab’s mouth? Yeah don’t, if you want to keep thinking they’re cute. I used to let them eat stuff out of my hand and I’d be all “awww this is adorable and awesome”, and then I got a good look at one’s mouth and saw that it was this whirling, lovecraftian maw of interwoven mandibles and poo poo and suddenly it wasn’t adorable anymore. :stonk:

:eng101: Crabs and other malacostracans are a good primer for teaching the "everything is a modified leg" model of arthropod body plan diversity. The further from the mouth you get, the more leg-like the mouthparts get!

https://www.gbri.org.au/OldClasses/2012/Dardanusmegistos%7CStormMartin.aspx?%20PageContentID=3319&PageContentID=3300 posted:

Hermit crab mouthparts, from top to bottom: mandible, maxillule, maxilla, maxilliped 1, maxilliped 2 and maxilliped 3. Ilustration: Storm Martin 2012, adapted with modification from Kunze and Anderson 1979

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redm posted:

Fun fact: the xenomorph’s inner jaw concept was inspired by the pharyngeal jaws of some species of eel. :eng101:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Maryland Blue Crab Superiority!
https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/environment/bs-md-blue-crabs-spain-20190401-story.html

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the xenomorph’s inner jaw concept was inspired by the pharyngeal jaws of some species of eel. :eng101:

Username post etc

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That was refuted by the director if I recall right.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LingcodKilla posted:

That was refuted by the director if I recall right.

Refuted by the director in what capacity?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"CRAB FIGHT CRAB FIGHT"
gently caress 'em up!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Refuted by the director in what capacity?

Well the movie came out in the 80s and the paper describing the jaws came out in the 00s.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/127001/do-we-know-where-ridley-scott-got-the-idea-for-the-xenomorph-inner-mouth/127021#127021

It’s a dick. It’s always a dick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Looks like it was actually the movie that inspired the eels!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been casually reading through this thread for a couple weeks. I like crabs, good crab thread. I cant get a crab pet because I already have frogs and lizards and cats and it's too many, but if I didn't have those other pets I would now probably get a crab friend or two.

Last week I was in minneapolis with my wife for a ceramics conference and we went to a lot of art galleries to look at pottery and I kept noticing crabs on a few. I'm sorry I couldn't take pictures so just imagine mugs and vases and whatnot with crabs depicted on them.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

🦀🦞 :jp: 🦞🦀

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Leperflesh posted:

I've been casually reading through this thread for a couple weeks. I like crabs, good crab thread. I cant get a crab pet because I already have frogs and lizards and cats and it's too many, but if I didn't have those other pets I would now probably get a crab friend or two.

Last week I was in minneapolis with my wife for a ceramics conference and we went to a lot of art galleries to look at pottery and I kept noticing crabs on a few. I'm sorry I couldn't take pictures so just imagine mugs and vases and whatnot with crabs depicted on them.

Get rid of cats and give yourself over to a world of tiny skittery critters.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

There's a clear solution for Spain's problem, and it involves newspaper, a wooden mallet, old bay and beer.

Now that I'm back in Delaware I'm eagerly awaiting the summer so I can get fresh steamed local blue crabs.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wild T posted:

There's a clear solution for Spain's problem, and it involves newspaper, a wooden mallet, old bay and beer.

Maybe they aren't good lickers and suckers over there?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boo loving boo on invasive blue crabs. Out on our coasts we have worthless green crabs eating up our ecosystems.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Leperflesh posted:

i'm imagining the gently caress out of the crabbery it's fuckin sweet

LingcodKilla posted:

Boo loving boo on invasive blue crabs. Out on our coasts we have worthless green crabs eating up our ecosystems.

I mean basically it seems like everyone is getting hosed

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Get rid of cats and give yourself over to a world of tiny skittery critters.

My wife would not accept that and honestly I love my cats anyway, and they're all rescues, etc.

Maybe when all the lizards and frogs are gone, but they seem to be surviving a long time.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Virgin crab eater pays for his meat.

Catch you some chad crab.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That crab looks hungry for salad. Feed her :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

But I don't want scorpions, I want crabs. Does the reverse work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
iirc its scorpions and mint