Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I am wondering how should I expand my Primaris Deathwatch next. Here's what I have now:

Watch Master
Primaris Captain
15 Intercessors (3 Sergeants with power swords)
3 Aggressors
5 Hellblasters
3 Plasma Inceptors

I'm working on four assassins and then probably doing 5 more Hellblasters along with magnetizing the Sergeants for power fists. What should I work on next? I had a few ideas, and I have the models for everything below but the third Librarian:

Get another 5 Hellblasters so I can field 3 Fortis Kill Teams.

Build three Primaris Librarians (two regular, one Phobos) for a Supreme Command detachment. DA and Space Wolves have some powers that dovetail really well with the Phobos powers.

Build a few more Primaris Captains using the 35th Anniversary Sergeant and the Store Anniversary Captain.

Redemptor Dreadnought.

Make a Rusty 17 as the foundation for AdMech.

Paint the 9 Aggressors and 3 more Inceptors because I hate myself.

Work on the Phobos units in the hopes of DW getting them, or as a separate detachment.

Jesus that's a lot of gray plastic.

Realistically the best Primaris Deathwatch unit is the 5 auto intercessor, 4 aggressor, 1 bolt inceptor unit so yeah, face the pain and finish up the Aggressors and Inceptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

NovemberMike posted:

Realistically the best Primaris Deathwatch unit is the 5 auto intercessor, 4 aggressor, 1 bolt inceptor unit so yeah, face the pain and finish up the Aggressors and Inceptors.

Yup. Eat your veggies and make your 12 aggressors

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Yup. Eat your veggies and make your 12 aggressors

Yeah. Paint 15 Aggressors.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Some speed painted cultists and screamers featuring some eye searing fluorescent colors. They are extremely hard to photograph.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Some speed painted cultists and screamers featuring some eye searing fluorescent colors. They are extremely hard to photograph.

What colors did use for those poisonous aquarium looking screamers? They’re beautiful

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Spectra tex fluorescent set. I Also used golden high flow fluorescent for the blue, but I don't recommend it. The golden high flow fluorescent pink is nice though, but isn't on this set.

The dark green is reaper forest green.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 30, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NovemberMike posted:

You think that's still true even with the beta better bolter rules?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I love these Screamers, wow.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Might be wrong but looks like chaos lords an sorcerers can't take bikes.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

This game needs more fluro

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Agh, I just gave up an opportunity to buy a big bunch of the old daemonettes for cheap. Should've jumped on it with this new KOS.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You think that's still true even with the beta better bolter rules?

The strength of Aggressors comes from throwing out 60+ shots and popping the +1 to wound stratagem. They'll put out enough damage from that to threaten anything. I think the new bolter rule makes the 5 man rifle squads a great use of 90 points but a T5 Aggressor heavy squad is still really scary coming out of the Teleportarium.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
I have a heap of Chaos boys to paint and its killing me because I would said I would get my GSC table ready before I could start on them.
So here are some "Earthshaker emplacements" made from $4 Chinese plastic arty pieces I snagged off ebay ages ago. Weathering and stuff coming soon as its still WIP

Also those fluro demons are sweet as bro, good work!

Killer_Bees! fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 31, 2019

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I am wondering how should I expand my Primaris Deathwatch next. Here's what I have now:

Watch Master
Primaris Captain
15 Intercessors (3 Sergeants with power swords)
3 Aggressors
5 Hellblasters
3 Plasma Inceptors

I'm working on four assassins and then probably doing 5 more Hellblasters along with magnetizing the Sergeants for power fists. What should I work on next? I had a few ideas, and I have the models for everything below but the third Librarian:

Get another 5 Hellblasters so I can field 3 Fortis Kill Teams.

Build three Primaris Librarians (two regular, one Phobos) for a Supreme Command detachment. DA and Space Wolves have some powers that dovetail really well with the Phobos powers.

Build a few more Primaris Captains using the 35th Anniversary Sergeant and the Store Anniversary Captain.

Redemptor Dreadnought.

Make a Rusty 17 as the foundation for AdMech.

Paint the 9 Aggressors and 3 more Inceptors because I hate myself.

Work on the Phobos units in the hopes of DW getting them, or as a separate detachment.

Jesus that's a lot of gray plastic.

I mean I havent played in ages, which is what it is, but if I were you Id totally paint some AdMech because they are rad and then some of those jump-pack Phobos assault cannon dudes.

Then you should post pics.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'm really grateful for this thread because on the rare occasions I venture out into the wider 40k internet this is the kind of poo poo I find.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm really grateful for this thread because on the rare occasions I venture out into the wider 40k internet this is the kind of poo poo I find.

I struggle to believe any actual grown-ups are part of that conversation.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

everything about this is incredible and I would be grateful for a big effort post in the painting thread about your process, your past experiences, and tips for doing such good work

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Soviet Commubot posted:

I used to be in some 40k Death Guard groups, but after the 400th horrific post I wised up and left.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

For_Great_Justice posted:

Might be wrong but looks like chaos lords an sorcerers can't take bikes.

So I might have been right to worry that my space bikers are being phased out...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I struggle to believe any actual grown-ups are part of that conversation.

No the actual grown-ups are in the nazi group

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

http://gunshowcomic.com/471

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Battlemaid's Tale.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Soviet Commubot posted:

I like to think the Inquisition and exterminatus exist to pruge this type of thing.

Due to reading this in fact, my head cannon now includes a sub ordo Hereticus organisation which has the sole job of purging heretical materials like this and the heretics that write it.

Having dedicated kill teams that scream "DELETE" as they strike.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I like to think the Inquisition and exterminatus exist to pruge this type of thing.

Due to reading this in fact, my head cannon now includes a sub ordo Hereticus organisation which has the sole job of purging heretical materials like this and the heretics that write it.

Having dedicated kill teams that scream "DELETE" as they strike.

There's apparently an Assassin Temple dedicated to information warfare, crushing entire planets through misinformation and deceit.

Sometimes I wonder if we're a target.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
So if you have a Phobos librarian, a Space Wolves librarian, Tigurius, a Dark Angels librarian and a Greyshield, you can potentially give an Ultramarine unit -2 to be hit in addition to giving an enemy unit -3 to hit. That's an ok way to protect a key unit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's apparently an Assassin Temple dedicated to information warfare, crushing entire planets through misinformation and deceit.

Sometimes I wonder if we're a target.

There's one in one of the 30k novels. He says their preferred method of assassinating a target is to get someone else to do it without ever being aware that the whole thing was set up by someone else.

Kinda like Eldar but flavored as hacker mastermind types.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

So if you have a Phobos librarian, a Space Wolves librarian, Tigurius, a Dark Angels librarian and a Greyshield, you can potentially give an Ultramarine unit -2 to be hit in addition to giving an enemy unit -3 to hit. That's an ok way to protect a key unit.

It gets even better:

Phobos has three powers of interest. Hallucination (-1 Ld, if a 2d6 roll is greater than the unit's Ld then -1 to hit rolls), Mind Raid (target takes a MW, against characters if you beat Ld on 3d6 get a CP), and Tenebrous Curse (MW, half unit's Move characteristic).

DA has Mindwipe (d6 + Ld roll off to potentially reduce target Ld, WS, and BS by for the rest of the game) and Aversion (-1 to hit).

SW has Jaws of the World Wolf (2d6-Move MW) and Tempest's Wrath (same as Aversion).

So properly stacked you have the potential to force a target to have a -4 to hit. Against another (non flyer, non vehicle) target you could deal a nasty number of wounds (on average 4 to something that originally had a 6" move). And even if you don't get everything off the partial effects are still brutal.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone explain what I need to do to claim a unit in "cover""? A tank? A character within 3" of a unit? A character not within 3" of a unit? How does a wall work? What are different about ruins?

I want to base a character standing on top of a chaos marine, but everything I've read says not to do that, in fact I should base my entire infantry army kneeling down. But if I do that, does that mean they can't actually shoot over a wall that's 4 feet (in game) high?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soviet Commubot posted:

He did say ANY feedback would be appreciated so you could make the suggestion that he should throw his keyboard into a wood chipper.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Can someone explain what I need to do to claim a unit in "cover""? A tank? A character within 3" of a unit? A character not within 3" of a unit? How does a wall work? What are different about ruins?

I want to base a character standing on top of a chaos marine, but everything I've read says not to do that, in fact I should base my entire infantry army kneeling down. But if I do that, does that mean they can't actually shoot over a wall that's 4 feet (in game) high?

All models in the unit need to be at least partially within the terrain piece.

It needs to be partially within the terrain and more than 50% obscured from the view of the firing model.

Both character questions: gain cover the same way as any other unit, with the addition that they can only be shot at if they are the closest unit to the firing model.

A random lone wall blocks line of sight.

A ruin blocks line of sight (based on the physical model) and you count as being in cover. You and your opponent typically need to agree what area counts as being on/in it, using the footprint of it is common if it's unbiased. Infantry units can move through walls as if they aren't there. Only infantry and units with fly can end a move in the second floor of ruins.

There's no reason not to base a character standing on a dead corpse, in most situations shooting at them is determined by them being closest more than by line of sight.

You can't make an army where all models are kneeling, it would be considered modeling for advantage and events would force you to use a normally posed equivalent model for line of sight.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Comstar posted:

Generally, a unit that is not a VEHICLE or MONSTER can claim it is in cover if it is wholly within a terrain piece. VEHICLE and MONSTER units must be both in the terrain and 50% obscured from the attacking model(s). There are a number of special terrain rules that go with specific terrain pieces, such as barricades, but most of those need to be taken into consideration by both players before the start of the game to apply (many people don’t use these because it starts to overcomplicate things).

Characters under 10 wounds can only ever be the target of an attack if they are the closest model or the attacking units special rules allow them to (snipers, etc.). They can be in cover following the normal rules just like any other unit. Characters with 10+ rules are almost always MONSTERS or VEHICLES, so getting them cover is tougher and they can be targeted normally.

Walls, unless explicitly discussed at the start of the game, do nothing beside from block line of sight. Though it differs a bit, the first floor of any building is generally considered to be blocking line of sight regardless of windows, cracks, and other things to allow for some more tactical flexibility.

Line of sight is drawn from a character to its target, so modeling a unit higher than design can both allow it to see more and also be seen more. Modeling a unit significantly taller/shorter is considered poor form, especially if you do something to benefit yourself such as model a melee monster much shorter (because it never cares about LoS for itself but cares if people can shoot it).

Edit: mostly beaten, but per the rules your unit must be fully within terrain to benefit from cover. One foot out, no cover for the whole unit.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 31, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Z the IVth posted:

This is stupid. I can't seem to update this thread (and only this one) on the awful app. Have been reading about Senora das hombres the swarmlord for the past few hours.

So what’s the problem then?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
For added effect versus at Castellan: Bring an Inquisitor, dominate the knight and overcharge his plasma gun.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Or you could just shoot something with the castellan without the rest of the debuffs applied for an even greater effect with much less effort

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Second new blood angel:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Huh. Just the Lord Discordant next week. Weird; I was really expecting the Master of Executions and the Dark Apostle/Dark Disciples kit as well.

Incidentally, the revised chaos codex seems to have new Khorne Berzerker designs, but they’re only visible as color scheme art on pages 19 and 45. Specifically there’s what looks like a new sort of Khorne Berzerker helmet with a skull face. (Okay, a new sort of skull face.) Given that GW almost certainly knows what the new Berzerker kit is going to look like already if they plan on releasing it at any point within the next two years, I wonder if that’s an an illo of it.

(A lot of that art has changed subtly, most notably to update what default CSMs look like, but they’ve also removed the traditional Night Lord bat wing ear helms and, for some reason, changed the pic of pre-heresy Iron Warrior armor from Mark III to Mark IV. Boo!)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 31, 2019

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Pendent posted:

Or you could just shoot something with the castellan without the rest of the debuffs applied for an even greater effect with much less effort

Blowing yourself up is more fun.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

Huh. Just the Lord Discordant next week. Weird; I was really expecting the Master of Executions and the Dark Apostle/Dark Disciples kit as well.

Incidentally, the revised chaos codex seems to have new Khorne Berzerker designs, but they’re only visible as color scheme art on pages 19 and 45. Specifically there’s what looks like a new sort of Khorne Berzerker helmet with a skull face. (Okay, a new sort of skull face.) Given that GW almost certainly knows what the new Berzerker kit is going to look like already if they plan on releasing it at any point within the next two years, I wonder if that’s an an illo of it.

(A lot of that art has changed subtly, most notably to update what default CSMs look like, but they’ve also removed the traditional Night Lord bat wing ear helms and, for some reason, changed the pic of pre-heresy Iron Warrior armor from Mark III to Mark IV. Boo!)

no

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Stephenls posted:

That’s the same as the current kit. You keep grasping at straws all over the place and over-thinking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wrapped up a Tech-Priest Manipulus for my Adeptus Mechanicus kill team, Zeta-2 Reticulus.