Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I won't lie I really miss the automation from HoI3 for air and sea cause I could just throw things into a bucket and let the ai figure out how it worked. It did better than I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Party In My Diapee posted:

Jokes on you. I already am :smuggo:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think there is a (hilarious) disconnect here between "war is tedious, lets find a way to automate it a bit" and people thinking that that means people dont want to fight at all? I love that in HoI 4 I manage my focuses, decisions, research, construction, production, and troop deployment....and that the troop deployment can even deploy them into an army and give them orders without my input, then fight and conquer with me pointing in a direction and saying "go". I would pay $50 for that in EU4 or Stellaris.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think there is a (hilarious) disconnect here between "war is tedious, lets find a way to automate it a bit" and people thinking that that means people dont want to fight at all?

Okay, except all the people on the previous page who literally wanted to get rid of army management or controllable armies entirely.

Like, I get the desire, but I disagree with making paradox's games that way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Or those that argued that war isn’t the focus of paradox games

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

You're the only one melting down here.

So what you’re saying is that paradox sucks poo poo at making wargames and should stop if that’s what they are after

Army management is most of most paradox games. It’s also the most boring, lovely, easily exploited part of most paradox games.

The solution is, unironically, more HoI4 army groups doing battle plans and waaaaay less “i move the 15th ‘player built perfect comp’ division to West Stockholm and hilariously annihilate the enemy.”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 31, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nah, they're pretty fun and are selling pretty well. Dunno why they'd stop.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

because they'd be better and still sell well op

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

outright getting rid of movable army mans would piss off so many people for the sake of pleasing like, 3 goons in this thread

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

They shouldn’t but literally everything besides clicking to move your dudes round the map is more fun than that

Even in HoI, the actual paradox wargame, fiddling with industry and setting plans is infinitely more fun than actually using your army

E: don’t literally remove moving units ever, but make it way less of game time

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 31, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if the people not in this thread want me to care they can pay the taxman his 10 bucks and :justpost:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the main problem is goons just want paradox games to be something it just isn’t and will never be.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vicky 3 hasn't come out yet, the dream of abstract armies is not yet lost

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vicky 3 will have armies just like EU, but it’s factory game is unmatched

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

actually my uncle works in swedeland and he says Vicky 3 will have abstracted armies and randomly selected economic models just like this thread talked about

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Okay, except all the people on the previous page who literally wanted to get rid of army management or controllable armies entirely.

Like, I get the desire, but I disagree with making paradox's games that way.

I mean, Paradox sort of agrees with this in the HoI games, which are the most explicitly war gamey. HoI4 actively punishes you for controlling your armies.

Anyone who thinks late game warfare in EU4 is fun is.. I dunno. 40k stack surrounded by 40k stacks and timing army arrival is really tedious and unfun. We wouldn't have these stupid micro rules for disempowering disloyal generals if your army composition weren't directly controlled. But oh well, goons gonna goon.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think there is a (hilarious) disconnect here between "war is tedious, lets find a way to automate it a bit" and people thinking that that means people dont want to fight at all? I love that in HoI 4 I manage my focuses, decisions, research, construction, production, and troop deployment....and that the troop deployment can even deploy them into an army and give them orders without my input, then fight and conquer with me pointing in a direction and saying "go". I would pay $50 for that in EU4 or Stellaris.

Yeah I actually like the Battle planner in HoI4 and use it more often than micromanagement.

I think the thing is that people don't like that the battle planner tends to use troops sub-optimally because it's not enough to just WIN a war, you have to do it RIGHT. They obsess over using every division to maximum utility and then complain that the game "requires" so much micromanagement. My dude you don't NEED to squeeze the most out of every division to win the war. Just slap down a front line and one big wide attack order and you're good to go 90% of the time.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Vicky 3 will have more army micromanagement than ever before, but the counters will be details from Joan Miro paintings.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Abstract the armies and let me micromanage the riveters at the shipyard instead

I have the perfect comp for their lunchbox contents all figured out

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's more...I like the political grand strategy that Paradox does, and I don't think I've really seen any other game company provide something really like that, so I'd like some game with like the grander political map but with more in-depth mechanics to dive into aside from war.

Technically, most Paradox games that I've played already greatly downplay tactical combat compared to other big strategy games like Total War, Mount and Blade, or Xcom. You can tinker with unit composition, try to min/max commanders, fiddle around with deployment and what terrain you want, but largely it comes down to one big stack hitting another big stack, and then the game does 500 million little dice rolls. You can do extra busywork min/maxing things if you want, but I think it has diminishing returns. It's not much of a jump to try imagining a further step of abstracting warfare.

And of course you could imagine going the other way of adding a grander political worldmap with minor conquest interactions to Tropico, Frostpunk, Dwarf Fortress, Stronghold, or what have you, but you're more likely going to see wishes expressed from a Paradox-centric perspective in the Paradox thread. I think the game that comes closest to what I've been thinking of is King of Dragon Pass.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there a SA discord for hoi4

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing is that people don't like that the battle planner tends to use troops sub-optimally because it's not enough to just WIN a war, you have to do it RIGHT. They obsess over using every division to maximum utility and then complain that the game "requires" so much micromanagement. My dude you don't NEED to squeeze the most out of every division to win the war. Just slap down a front line and one big wide attack order and you're good to go 90% of the time.
Front line attack orders can work, but we're not talking about squeezing out a few percentage points here; the difference in manpower and equipment losses between a general attack order and a micromanaged assault is night and day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Give me Democracy 3 with a world map and different time periods and your foreign policy and military fills into an unintelligible void that affects other national inputs based on diplomatic relations.

It doesn't need to replace EU or Rome, there's a certain something about the army dances but I'm tired of them and don't want to deal with anything besides smashing two hosts together over and over in CK2. Although eventually I'm gonna end up trying HOI4 because battle plans and some of the national stuff sounds neat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd like to know why people think that armies as discrete units is such a fundamental necessity for these games. I'm pretty sure that abstracting armies into front lines or whatever can still be really fun if it's done well. People are correct that warfare is one of the most important aspects of paradox games, but they're missing the problem that warfare is extremely boring and tedious. It plays too much like an RTS where you need to control everything manually and whoever has the highest APM wins. That's fine for an actual RTS where games last like 30 minutes at most, but not so much for a grand campaign that could last a hundred hours or more.

Just give me the option to automate some things. The people who are crazy enough to micro everything can still do that, I don't care.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So what you’re saying is that paradox sucks poo poo at making wargames and should stop if that’s what they are after

Army management is most of most paradox games. It’s also the most boring, lovely, easily exploited part of most paradox games.

The solution is, unironically, more HoI4 army groups doing battle plans and waaaaay less “i move the 15th ‘player built perfect comp’ division to West Stockholm and hilariously annihilate the enemy.”

I'm saying you need to take a deep breath and find a healthier way to express your emotions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The next Paradox game will be one where you play a guy in a windowless dark room who is occasionally asked to provided input on moving armies without any context for what you're doing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The next Paradox game will be one where you play a guy in a windowless dark room who is occasionally asked to provided input on moving armies without any context for what you're doing.

general staff officer sim would rule, i agree

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i hope this debate on armies gets turned into an ingame event like the collectivism arguements from pre launch stellaris

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alternatively, a game where you have to manually control every single action of every single soldier in your army. If you don't specifically order them to, they will all stop breathing and die.

e: you also have to move them QWOP-style.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Agean90 posted:

i hope this debate on armies gets turned into an ingame event like the collectivism arguements from pre launch stellaris

It comes up every now and then because of the very real and obvious observation that combat in Paradox games is fairly boring to interact with; reworking aspects of the game to reduce / remove shuffling around of armies seems like a good fix. It doesn't have anything to do with any particular game release.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Combat isn’t terribly boring I just think some people would prefer not having to do anything. Let the game play itself really

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well yeah, if your idea of not boring means always having something to do, then yeah, combat is extremely not boring.

Many people disagree with you though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i would unironically prefer to meticulously chart out mobilization orders down to the precise time at which the reservists are expected to arrive at a supply depot than ever move a single pixleman into an empty province.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Agean90 posted:

i would unironically prefer to meticulously chart out mobilization orders down to the precise time at which the reservists are expected to arrive at a supply depot than ever move a single pixleman into an empty province.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Agean90 posted:

That would loving suck and also beat the hell out of the existing systems (except hoi4)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Combat isn’t terribly boring I just think some people would prefer not having to do anything. Let the game play itself really

This is the exciting part of EU4 for you?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clearly what Paradox needs to do is implement a kind of FF12-esque gambit system where you can use an in-game interface to script AI orders and then assign those scripts to units so they do exactly what you want all the time.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i would much rather devs try to fix colonisation being wildly ahistorical and wildly tedious than anything else in eu

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Warfare is in the right place for each game. In CK it's about your ability to get your vassals to raise troops for you and then lead them into winner-takes-all battles. In EU it's about the ability of the state to raise and pay for armies. In Victoria it's about the ability of societies to mobilise their people into shattering total wars with each other. Only Hearts of Iron is about the operational conduct of a total war and mobilisation of a nation's industry to wage it.

Warfare is the core of each Paradox game because like Civ the games are based around the assumption that turning the map your colour is how societies 'win'. But how warfare is portrayed in gameplay terms is tied to the holistic nature of what each game is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I would like it it Paradox decide to fix battles taking months in EU4. It wouldn’t be everything, but it would be a start. Also it’d stop people from going “:smug: Actually, the battles represent all the minor conflicts happening in the province” as though that excuses Battle of Verdun level casualties happening in 1495.