Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PageMaster posted:

This might be obvious and spelled out, but I can't figure out the rules with sink (may apply to other properties, though) which is making it hard to puzzle through;[incredibly early spoilers just in case]if something is sink, does it cause that object to sink in water? Or does it cause it to sink other objects? Example is Icy Lake-1. Baba is sink causes me to fall in the water, but then Jelly is also sink, which causes it to sink the word WALL when I push it into a jellyfish, so I'm not sure what sink means: does it mean the object will sink in water, or that it will sink other objects?I think it means both since I can walk on water once I remove sink from myself, but it's not made clear, so I can't tell if I made a rock sink later whether it would sink something or if it would sink in water....

Will destroy both itself and anything moved on to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
With the exception of items that are float.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I need a hint on Forest-10: Lock the Door. I’ve been stuck on it for days. The closest I’ve been able to get is putting the belt (facing right) to the left of FUNGUS, putting the bug (facing right) to the left of the belt, and putting a tree on top of the bug. Then I set it up so I only have to shift one block to make the rules BUG IS SHIFT and BELT IS SHIFT, and position things so that once I make the shift, I am as close to the fungus as possible. (2 spaces to the left of it.) This makes it so that FUNGUS goes right on the turn I am standing on the fungus, thus killing me. If only I could delay things one more turn. I hope I described that okay.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 31, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

I need a hint on Forest-10: Lock the Door. I’ve been stuck on it for days. The closest I’ve been able to get is putting the belt (facing right) to the left of FUNGUS, putting the bug (facing right) to the left of the belt, and putting a tree on top of the bug. Then I set it up so I only have to shift one block to make the rules BUG IS SHIFT and BELT IS SHIFT, and position things so that once I make the shift, I am as close to the fungus as possible. This makes it so that FUNGUS goes right on the turn I am standing on the fungus, thus killing me. If only I could delay things one more turn. I hope I described that okay.

You can't do it that way. Small hint: The correct method allows for far more turns of delay than you need to get through the door.
Another small hint: SHIFT is as important as it seems, but you should probably experiment more with it. The way it's used here is somewhat unusual.

Big hint: It requires overlapping objects.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oookay, I needed the big hint. Thanks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PageMaster posted:

This might be obvious and spelled out, but I can't figure out the rules with sink (may apply to other properties, though) which is making it hard to puzzle through;[incredibly early spoilers just in case]if something is sink, does it cause that object to sink in water? Or does it cause it to sink other objects? Example is Icy Lake-1. Baba is sink causes me to fall in the water, but then Jelly is also sink, which causes it to sink the word WALL when I push it into a jellyfish, so I'm not sure what sink means: does it mean the object will sink in water, or that it will sink other objects?I think it means both since I can walk on water once I remove sink from myself, but it's not made clear, so I can't tell if I made a rock sink later whether it would sink something or if it would sink in water....

Sink has nothing to do with water and learning this is one of the more common stumbling blocks I see. All it means is that if there's an object overlapping something with SINK, the object and the thing with SINK annihilate each other.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Someone give me a hint on how to train my brain to be able to solve puzzles with MOVE in them. I think it's something about having a timer in an otherwise relaxing puzzle game that short circuits my brain.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

With the exception of items that are float.

Unless the thing that is sink is also float, I think

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

LifeLynx posted:

Someone give me a hint on how to train my brain to be able to solve puzzles with MOVE in them. I think it's something about having a timer in an otherwise relaxing puzzle game that short circuits my brain.

Same. There are a few where it looks like something has to be MOVE and then turn and start going a different direction and I keep immediately quitting out of the levels where this happens.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If A Is Shut and B Is Open, A and B are both annihilated when they overlap.

If A Is Sink and B Is anything (other than Float, unless A Is Float), A and B are both annihilated when they overlap.

If A Is Defeat and B Is You, B only is annihilated when A and B overlap.

If A Is Hot and B Is Melt, B only is annihilated when A and B overlap.

I'm not sure if there are any other examples like this (I'm still not entirely sure how Weak works).

"Overlap" can also mean "this sprite is both properties" e.g. Baba Is You And Defeat or Case Is Open And Shut.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 31, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I feel like figuring out how the modifiers work is part of the game's puzzle structure. Maybe these should be spoilered?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

LifeLynx posted:

I suggest making something MOVE and then just holding down the A button and seeing what happens. Then repeat the process with some variables changed, such as making something else MOVE or altering the starting position of the MOVE object. This can give you a sense of what your options are.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

CPColin posted:

Same. There are a few where it looks like something has to be MOVE and then turn and start going a different direction and I keep immediately quitting out of the levels where this happens.

In cases where MOVE seems to involve turning in a different direction, its purpose is often to get an object across something that would defeat YOU and then turn that object into YOU. Once a YOU object is across the gap, you can make the turn manually.

Paul.Power posted:

I'm not sure if there are any other examples like this (I'm still not entirely sure how Weak works).

IIRC, if A is WEAK, A is annihilated when it overlaps with any object (even ones with no qualities at all). This means that things that are WEAK can move objects that are PUSH (like text) without being destroyed and objects that are WEAK and MOVE will turn around when they run into unmovable objects without being destroyed. In both cases, this is because no overlap occurs.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. Rocket Trip last stage, Heavy Words. It's been three days. Send help.

The clouds up top have not escaped my notice. I can think of all sorts of useful things to do with some Dust is Push, but I can't find any way to make that rule without rendering the stage unwinnable.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fedule posted:

Okay. Rocket Trip last stage, Heavy Words. It's been three days. Send help.

The clouds up top have not escaped my notice. I can think of all sorts of useful things to do with some Dust is Push, but I can't find any way to make that rule without rendering the stage unwinnable.
Minor: You do not need to use the cloud in any way or make DUST is PUSH.

Medium: WEAK supersedes DEFEAT if an object is both.

Major: With the above in mind, what statements need to be active simultaneously in order to complete the level?

That's not the last stage in Rocket Trip though :kheldragar:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Minor: You do not need to use the cloud in any way or make DUST is PUSH.

Medium: WEAK supersedes DEFEAT if an object is both.

Major: With the above in mind, what statements need to be active simultaneously in order to complete the level?

That's not the last stage in Rocket Trip though :kheldragar:

Thanks, area is complete! Leaving the clouds in Heavy Words was a tiny bit of a dick move, I think. I still can't believe I didn't figure out how to get more use out of the right is.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul.Power posted:

If A Is Shut and B Is Open, A and B are both annihilated when they overlap.

If A Is Sink and B Is anything (other than Float, unless A Is Float), A and B are both annihilated when they overlap.

If A Is Defeat and B Is You, B only is annihilated when A and B overlap.

If A Is Hot and B Is Melt, B only is annihilated when A and B overlap.

"Overlap" can also mean "this sprite is both properties" e.g. Baba Is You And Defeat or Case Is Open And Shut.

There is another mechanic regarding where something will drop when something HAS something else. Like I think that OPEN will drop where the object was, while SINK will drop where the object is going

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've beat around 40 levels or so and this is GOTY for me so far. It's extremely clever and mind bending. Good job!

If you have any plans for an expansion pack or sequel, I'm all over it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i played as long as i could without spoilers but i'm officially stumped. could someone tell me if (late game meta spoilers) Meta-3 Booby Trap has a solution that results in the level being both Baba and Flag, similar to the Mutual Attraction level later? It's the only way i can think of that will get me across the two water tiles on the north of the map

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

i played as long as i could without spoilers but i'm officially stumped. could someone tell me if (late game meta spoilers) Meta-3 Booby Trap has a solution that results in the level being both Baba and Flag, similar to the Mutual Attraction level later? It's the only way i can think of that will get me across the two water tiles on the north of the map

No, only one or the other.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh my god, i get it now. i feel like an idiot

President Ark
May 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/fengchuiyulin/status/1110423064020480000
https://twitter.com/fengchuiyulin/status/1110661640167534592

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
"EAT"? That's an unused word, isn't it?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Things I've turned into levels in Depths:
ROCK (still no lightbulbs on this one).
Both BABA.

Things I've made from levels:
SKULL.
ME.
The word LEVEL.

I haven't done anything with that extra IS in the corner with the 1-dot level. I feel like it wants to help me make FLAG is LEVEL, but I can't see a way to get LEVEL into position. I've beaten all the levels I've found on the screen save the rock one, and I don't see any more stuff to be made.

I beat the rock, but I'm not happy about that particular aspect of SHUT/OPEN/HAS interaction. So now that I've got the orb and all the levels beaten, I still feel like something's incomplete in the depths. Anyone have a hint?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Can I get a hint for ???-1: Glitch? The level with the 'Welcome'.

I can make the word 'Me' but can't find any other word. Maybe I'm supposed to add some prefix to 'Wall is Stop'?

This doesn't bode well for my ability to solve the rest of the levels in this map.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

dividertabs posted:

I can make the word 'Me' but can't find any other word. Maybe I'm supposed to add some prefix to 'Wall is Stop'?

This doesn't bode well for my ability to solve the rest of the levels in this map.

That's the only word you need to make. Remember that "Me" is a thing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

dividertabs posted:

Can't you just make LOVE IS FLAG IS WIN? It's the next level you have to mess around with the letters on.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Color Printer posted:

I am dumb and you don't even need Me or any of the other letters in Welcome.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

President Ark posted:

Can't you just make LOVE IS FLAG IS WIN? It's the next level you have to mess around with the letters on.

dividertabs posted:

I am dumb and you don't even need Me or any of the other letters in Welcome.

Oh, huh, how about that :psyduck:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Color Printer posted:

Oh, huh, how about that :psyduck:

Oh, the thing you said would work, and is one of the solutions on the next level where what i posted doesn't work, but the first one has a much simpler solution.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Color Printer posted:

Ohh, so that's what the intended solution is! I also ending up doing the LOVE is FLAG is WIN thing, which made the title of the level very confusing. No glitches there, just the same stuff I'd been doing all game.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So I've already asked this question, but haven't received any info. Hoping now that more people got to the same place I did and can shed some light on Depths:
Checking the guides for hidden levels, I see that to access the Meta I need to complete level that's in the flag. However, I can't access it. There's no way I can push "Level" to "Flag is". Some playthroughs I've checked have people who completed Buried Treasure use a dotted line that appears right after. However, I don't see that line. Was it patched out? Is it a glitch? I've completed most areas 100% and cleared minimum requirement in all of them. I have not completed "Finale - A Way Out?" yet, though. Speaking of...
Also, accepting hints for A Way Out? For some reason this level just breaks my brain.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vookatos posted:

So I've already asked this question, but haven't received any info. Hoping now that more people got to the same place I did and can shed some light on Depths:
Checking the guides for hidden levels, I see that to access the Meta I need to complete level that's in the flag. However, I can't access it. There's no way I can push "Level" to "Flag is". Some playthroughs I've checked have people who completed Buried Treasure use a dotted line that appears right after. However, I don't see that line. Was it patched out? Is it a glitch? I've completed most areas 100% and cleared minimum requirement in all of them. I have not completed "Finale - A Way Out?" yet, though. Speaking of...
Also, accepting hints for A Way Out? For some reason this level just breaks my brain.

For Depths: you do in fact need to create "Flag is Level". Is there another way you can see of doing that?
For A Way Out?: you need to use every word. First, try to construct Rock is Push.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I got frustrated and had to look up a solution for Fall-11, and I'm glad I did, because THE gently caress YOU CAN DO NOT ROCK IS PUSH?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got frustrated and had to look up a solution for Fall-11, and I'm glad I did, because THE gently caress YOU CAN DO NOT ROCK IS PUSH?

Just wait until you see all the other fun things you can do with NOT!

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1112750258939981825

this never would have happened if you all bought multiple copies of the game :negative:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BABY is BOSS

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BABA is WASHED-UP CELEBRITY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Boss Baba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This game is breaking my brain over and over and it's so amazing. I think I just scammed the ABC world, or at least never bothered to solve it the expected way, 'cause I just finished Stardrop and Meteor Strike with basically the same solution.

I just made a sentence of Belt Is Star Is Flag, completing it with Belt and ending up one tile away from a belt so I could immediately jump to it before Me broke up Flag is Win. You only have to orient it differently on Meteor Strike. Is this the expected solution for either of these levels? It involves ignoring a bunch of stuff that I guess could all be red herrings.

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 2, 2019