Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheEye posted:

How to buy Ghibli Museum tickets online from Lawson, based on my experience in February (warning, it's a complete shitshow):

Jesus gently caress. This sounds incredibly painful. At least I'll be at work when I do it so I'll be getting paid...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Johnny Truant posted:

Jesus gently caress. This sounds incredibly painful

It's very japan.txt

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?

Mandarake, Lashinbang, Amiami, and basically all other places that sell gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs also have floors/areas dedicated to Godzilla Kaijus and American superhero crap and all the other stuff that makes me mad it's eating up square footage that could be more huge boob statues so it's all right up your alley. All in the same place.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?

if gundam is so uncool why do they keep building giant ones, huh??

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Hobby-Off

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Also ikebukuro where you can find nerd poo poo

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I was in Ikebukuro tonight and the shops are definitely more shoujo and BL-focused but I still found titty moe stuff to buy. I didn't see any Godzillas or Gundams in Animate or Gamers though (I got there at 8 when Lashinbang was already closed. Sad).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Sprint in Japan

https://shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/shop/japan_roaming_add_on.pdf

This seems like a really good deal: $5 a month for unlimited service in Japan. I plan to only be there for a week, but it's still cheaper than my first thought: a portable 4G router.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nanigans posted:

This seems like a really good deal: $5 a month for unlimited service in Japan. I plan to only be there for a week, but it's still cheaper than my first thought: a portable 4G router.

If I'm reading the fine print right then:

"Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min. or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB."

So like... 100MB of data will get you out of the airport, maybe.

In any event, I would go with the router every time. Last year I had three devices all sucking down data with no problem. I turned on WiFi calling on my iPhone since my provider supports it and I seemed to incur no extra charges for making voice calls back home either. Then again work pays for my phone so I didn't really scrutinize it that carefully.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 31, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Martytoof posted:

In any event, I would go with the router every time. Last year I had three devices all sucking down data with no problem. I turned on WiFi calling on my iPhone since my provider supports it and I seemed to incur no extra charges for making voice calls back home either. Then again work pays for my phone so I didn't really scrutinize it that carefully.

if work isn't paying then you should check your provider's terms and conditions carefully before doing this.
some providers will hit you with full roaming charges if you use wifi calling overseas, because gently caress you that's why

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah actually looking at the T&Cs it looks like it is roaming rates even with WiFi calling. I guess I can always facetime over WiFi but most of my friends have iPhones so there's that I guess.

Anyway, everyone's asleep while I'm out and about so no big deal :cool:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
google fi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress, I still need to figure out wireless internet options for the trip. Supposedly it’s like $220 for out of US 4g for us for the whole time, or some poo poo. I’m p sure the wireless routers are cheaper but we’d have to return them n poo poo and :effort:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just get a SIM card with data, it's like $30 for 5GB for 3 weeks. Get a battery and use tethering if you want to use it on multiple devices.

I got the bMobile one and it worked fine even when I was out in the sticks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I could have sworn tethering was against the TOS for a bunch of SIM card providers when I was researching. Then again I guess they'd need to catch you first.

Wireless router is cheap and you can just return it to the airport when you leave -- out of anything you do in Japan, this one should be at the bottom of the "is a hassle" category IMO.

I went with japanwifibuddy and paid $103 for 21 days. I mean, I can probably beat that if I really try but a hundred bucks for data for most of a month I'm fine with.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 31, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress, I still need to figure out wireless internet options for the trip. Supposedly it’s like $220 for out of US 4g for us for the whole time, or some poo poo. I’m p sure the wireless routers are cheaper but we’d have to return them n poo poo and :effort:

Were using this (linked below) and it’s loving awesome. Unlimited data and it’s decently fast. It’s also worked everywhere we’ve gone, even at full speed on the Shinkansen. You can pick them up in the airport but we didn’t have a lot of time to get to Haneda so we had them send it to the hotel and we picked it up there. It came with a self addressed envelope for return that we’ll just drop off with the hotel when we leave. Couldn’t be easier.

Supposedly they might throttle your usage after 250gb but even with taking a shitload of pictures and syncing and everything across four devices we won’t even come close to that.

https://www.gmobile.biz/softbank/inbound/

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 31, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ntan1 posted:

google fi

this is what i do and it's basically flawless

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I could have sworn tethering was against the TOS for a bunch of SIM card providers when I was researching. Then again I guess they'd need to catch you first.

Wireless router is cheap and you can just return it to the airport when you leave -- out of anything you do in Japan, this one should be at the bottom of the "is a hassle" category IMO.

I went with japanwifibuddy and paid $103 for 21 days. I mean, I can probably beat that if I really try but a hundred bucks for data for most of a month I'm fine with.

https://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/faq.html

Q: May I use tethering hotspot feature?
A: The VISITOR SIM supports tethering, but please check that your device allows tethering.

If you really need unlimited data when you're on holiday I guess you can pay three times as much and have something that needs to be returned at the end. I was living out of a tent and traveling by bicycle and 5GB was still plenty, but I'm not an Instagram star or a vlogger so maybe that's unusual.

caberham posted:

If you guys still have to argue about the merits of a sim card then you all are loving retarded.

I have been telling people to get a data card since 5 loving years ago and some of you travel newbies are still dumb.

Everyone has to start somewhere fresh but come on.

And that’s why the last thread got closed downs, because of SIM CARDS.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ntan1 posted:

google fi

mikeycp posted:

this is what i do and it's basically flawless

Excellent, one less thing I have to worry about :bubblewoop:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

“Returning” means either handing it back to a shop at the airport or, at worst, using an envelope you’ve been given to put the package into the mail. Not exactly neurosurgery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

https://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_7.html

I get the cheapest one from here when I visit. The 110 mb data cap isn't an actual data cap, it just slows it down after that and who cares, 200 kb/sec is plenty fast enough for travel use. They mail it wherever you want. Pick it up when you arrive at the hotel, drop it in the mailbox at the airport when you leave. Multiple people can connect to the same one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Take a break from the internet when you're outside of your hotel room.

*I can forgive maps and looking up places to go.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Nanigans posted:

I used this for about three months and it worked as if I was getting my regular cell and data service from the US. But I don't do whatever it is goons do that requires a gig of data every single day.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hope everyone have a fun time in japan and Tokyo.

BUT IN the mean time

klook klook klook klook

I’m gonna write better posts and peanut can post in OP

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sale on Banksy art posted:

I used this for about three months and it worked as if I was getting my regular cell and data service from the US. But I don't do whatever it is goons do that requires a gig of data every single day.

I doubt I'd use a gig a day or whatever, but I imagine Google Maps costs a fair bit of data and I'll probably act like a teenager and post too many things to Instagram.

caberham posted:

I hope everyone have a fun time in japan and Tokyo.

BUT IN the mean time

klook klook klook klook

I’m gonna write better posts and peanut can post in OP

Yeah, I'm definitely going to grab this when I go. I was just curious if my cell company could possibly have a better deal, but nope!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sale on Banksy art posted:

But I don't do whatever it is goons do that requires a gig of data every single day.

Swift, indiscriminate use of Tinder uses a lot of data, okay.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Nanigans posted:

I doubt I'd use a gig a day or whatever, but I imagine Google Maps costs a fair bit of data and I'll probably act like a teenager and post too many things to Instagram.

It will be exactly like using your phone at home. I even tethered my PC to it before I got my internet set up. You will also be able to connect your phone as soon as the plane lands. It will hook you up to the SoftBank network as if you were a SoftBank customer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
YouTube videos while you spend an hour everyday on trains and busses getting to places

Or streaming Netflix

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pollyanna posted:

google fi

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can easily see myself going multi-gig per day uploading my raw photo files to the cloud, chilling out with some youtube or netflix when I get back to my airbnb after a long day, streaming music for a good part of the day when I'm out and about walking the streets, video calls to people back home, etc. I can definitely get that some people don't need a lot of data, but others have just adjusted to the lifestyle of being able to suck data whenever they need it without giving it much of a second thought :)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

If I'm reading the fine print right then:

"Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min. or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB."

So like... 100MB of data will get you out of the airport, maybe.

They’re probably mostly just covering their rear end with the data limit thing. Sprint is now owned by SoftBank, one of the big Japanese providers, so you can use the SoftBank network with that small surcharge. I’d look up other reviews and see what people say about it recently. I’ve done the opposite back when I used SoftBank; just rolled up into the US and had cellular coverage, and it was great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I can easily see myself going multi-gig per day uploading my raw photo files to the cloud, chilling out with some youtube or netflix when I get back to my airbnb after a long day, streaming music for a good part of the day when I'm out and about walking the streets, video calls to people back home, etc. I can definitely get that some people don't need a lot of data, but others have just adjusted to the lifestyle of being able to suck data whenever they need it without giving it much of a second thought :)

The one I linked has no data cap, just throttling. I've used shitloads of data on it before without issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to keep derailing about data, I just figured I'd go over my use case for a lot of usage. Anyway, I'll leave it be.

Fell down a YouTube vortex today looking up things to do in Kyoto and Nara. Have to say, I didn't really care that much about Kyoto but now that I've pinpointed a few cool things i'm much more psyched about my four day side trip there for non-Fushimi Inari reasons.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Please use klook,

I want that friend code

I’m back from my short japan trip where I barely did anything but I’m going on a few weeks again where I will do more things

In the mean time

I will try to write some fun stories articles which hopefully will be pinned in the OP. Honestly the internet resources are plenty nowadays.

I’m just a bit of a food snob and have a stronger personal connection with the people in Tokyo and Shikoku. So I want to share that and hope everyone who comes to japan can feel joy

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey! I've just given you HK$ 25.0 for your first activity on Klook. Just sign up through my link below: https://www.klook.com/en-HK/invite/9SGAS?c=HKD

This is my friend code

Hey! I've just given you HK$ 25.0 for your first activity on Klook. Just sign up through my link below: https://www.klook.com/en-HK/invite/9SGAS?c=HKD

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I pledge to never use Klook.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

peanut posted:

We gotta share these pictures of our meals, man.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

Yeah that’s the plan, I do need to know where the gently caress I’m going.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah that’s the plan, I do need to know where the gently caress I’m going.

That's pretty much what I tend to do. Remember when a hole opened up and tried to swallow Hakata a few years back? I was there and a few people here blamed that one on me. I didn't get to join in on that fun until I got back from the trip a couple of weeks later as I only use the data for navigation and finding things to do and eat.

Although recent I found myself in pretty long train trips just round Tokyo there that had me pulling my phone out for some distractions. I just try and not make a habit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
klook?

more like "no thank youook"

shut up it sounded good in my head