Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Vando posted:

Are they really calling it Monaco? They need to be fired into the sun if so.

Its not exactly something we wanted to do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
But... you (as in Codemasters) didn't? Am I having a stroke? It's called Monte Carlo, what is everyone even talking about?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OhsH posted:

Is zaphod really posting? He needs to be fired into the sun if so.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

GhostDog posted:

But... you (as in Codemasters) didn't? Am I having a stroke? It's called Monte Carlo, what is everyone even talking about?

Its confusing I know. Honestly I have to be careful what I say, as its all about legal stuff that I only half understand.
Its like why we don't have modern WRC cars in the game basically.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Probably nothing to do with the official WRC game wanting the rights...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

a mysterious cloak posted:

Probably nothing to do with the official WRC game wanting the rights...

WRC 8 did look good.

But yeah, when you have an offically licensed game like that they generally get to dictate the terms of what other teams get.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

8 looks good? I think I read the two previous weren't so hot.

Kodo posted:

The oversteer on that car is maddening, so anything to help reduce that will help. I have to take a look at my setup, but generally I like to start by setting camber and toe to 0°. After that, reduce dampers to -2.0, , increase ride height and soften the spring rate, brake bias towards the front. Roll bars nice and soft too. Reverse all this for tarmac.

+front and -rear can help reduce the understeer on the car. I stick within a notch or two difference between the values. It really helps to run shakedowns and see how the car is handling and then changing one thing in setup (I start with brake bias). I found I could really reduce a lot of spin outs on gravel stages from the default setup going through it like this.

Stratos for loving life

Moved a step closer to the Stratos 4 lyfe mindset with your tuning suggestions, thanks! Still needs a little tweaking to suit me but it's definitely reigned in the oversteer.

And I feel a little cheated on the monthlies, I get to repair 100% between events instead of praying something doesn't irretrievably break on the last couple of stages!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So after playing DR2 for a while last night I decided I need an actual handbrake, because trying to find it on my wheel as a button is a huge pain in the rear end.

So here's my idea - I have an old Logitech controller laying around that no one uses, and it looks really simple to tap off of for other buttons and stuff. I can use a potentiometer on one of the analog stick leads and put together a pretty simple springed lever I can mount to my seat. With the rest of the buttons I can set up a button box with switches for stuff I don't need or want on the wheel.

That said, if anyone's done something similar, what kind of potentiometer should I use/where can I source a few? I've only ever repaired stuff like this, not repurposed it, but it seems pretty straightforward. Buttons and switches are no big deal but I have no idea what I should even look for in pots.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I use one of these for that in forza motorsport/horizon https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gamepads/extreme-3d-pro-joystick.html
set the deadzone so the stick's center position is 0% handbrake

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TremorX posted:

So after playing DR2 for a while last night I decided I need an actual handbrake, because trying to find it on my wheel as a button is a huge pain in the rear end.

So here's my idea - I have an old Logitech controller laying around that no one uses, and it looks really simple to tap off of for other buttons and stuff. I can use a potentiometer on one of the analog stick leads and put together a pretty simple springed lever I can mount to my seat. With the rest of the buttons I can set up a button box with switches for stuff I don't need or want on the wheel.

That said, if anyone's done something similar, what kind of potentiometer should I use/where can I source a few? I've only ever repaired stuff like this, not repurposed it, but it seems pretty straightforward. Buttons and switches are no big deal but I have no idea what I should even look for in pots.

I picked up an old flight stick from a thrift store for like $3 and use that as a handbrake.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That sounds way easier. To the thrift/pawn shops!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GutBomb posted:

I picked up an old flight stick from a thrift store for like $3 and use that as a handbrake.

How do you not wrench the thing off your desk?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CascadeBeta posted:

How do you not wrench the thing off your desk?

It’s got suction cups on the bottom. Like I said, it’s old.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GutBomb posted:

It’s got suction cups on the bottom. Like I said, it’s old.

Dang I'll have to check out my local goodwill tomorrow then.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was vaguely thinking about a handbrake this week, you guys are psychic!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theres quite a few youtube videos on making a handbrake from an old joystick if you're interested in making a project out of it

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

jesus the weather and night frequency in DR2 is still stupid following the changes. I got through elite with a 1st everywhere except a 5th in Poland which is a total bastard location. (Poland night with rain is nearly impossible to deal with because the AI times are not substantially affected and its one of the hardest combinations in the game)

First event in master is of course Poland and out of the gate I get

night-heavy rain then sunset-rain, dusk-rain, and finally a dry stage but its night again

ffff

I am already nearly a minute off first. Trying to say this without sounding like im bragging because there are a bunch of truly talented players that can get a good 10-30s faster than me but I still have top 10s on leaderboards

There must only be a handful of people that can beat master right now. I get its the souls of racing games but poo poo man, the AI times in this game are bogus with the weather and night frequency.

Someone on the dirt reddit posted this comparing Argentina master stage AI times vs the leaderboard and that looks like its sunny and dry going by whats blurred behind the screenshot.

edit: and I don't even know what my point is. I guess its fine if master is truly epic hard and only 10 people can beat it but it feels like its bullshit introduced by random weather instead of actually fighting your skill against carefully tuned AI. Going flat out and sticking it is a good time but only the truly sick can enjoy wet nights in DR.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 1, 2019

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, the AI can be a pain and it was a pain in DR1 and Dirt4 as well. In previous titles it was car dependent. I think it was the E30 M3 in Dirt 4 that made the AI times faster than the WR for the career stages. I believe the AI times are generated from play testers, and then time is added or subtracted based on difficulty level. Since the R5s are relatively easy to set good times in, the average finish time in playtesting was good, and subtracting from that makes it almost impossible to find enough speed to beat it. I found that generally the harder the car is to drive, the easier the AI is. Even Master in DR1 was a breeze in the RWD group Bs. I haven't reached masters in DR2 yet, so I'm not sure if its the same there.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Qmass posted:

edit: and I don't even know what my point is. I guess its fine if master is truly epic hard and only 10 people can beat it but it feels like its bullshit introduced by random weather instead of actually fighting your skill against carefully tuned AI. Going flat out and sticking it is a good time but only the truly sick can enjoy wet nights in DR.

It doesn't help that you can't change the difficulty in career. I just finished an elite rally in first (just barely) and so now it has promoted me to master and I really don't want to start it because I know its going to be impossible. I'd much rather hang out in elite or w/e and have fun.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I haven't even finished my first career event yet, just keep doing the dailies/weeklies/etc.

I have an old joystick around somewhere, and I'm going to look at repurposing it into a handbrake.

THEN I'll complete my rally mastery by figuring out if there's a way to manually put the car into the gear I want, and it won't change by itself...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Humbug posted:

Yeah, the AI can be a pain and it was a pain in DR1 and Dirt4 as well. In previous titles it was car dependent. I think it was the E30 M3 in Dirt 4 that made the AI times faster than the WR for the career stages. I believe the AI times are generated from play testers, and then time is added or subtracted based on difficulty level. Since the R5s are relatively easy to set good times in, the average finish time in playtesting was good, and subtracting from that makes it almost impossible to find enough speed to beat it. I found that generally the harder the car is to drive, the easier the AI is. Even Master in DR1 was a breeze in the RWD group Bs. I haven't reached masters in DR2 yet, so I'm not sure if its the same there.

Yeah, I swear Jon is actually a faster driver in the wet... :( ;)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Zaphod42 posted:

They should really try to get ahead of the curve like most sports games do, and release it slightly before the season. I want to race in F1 2019 when the Aus GP is on.
One problem with that approach is that you can't properly assess the teams' performance levels until after a few races, so if you just guess based on preseason testing and last year's form you might end up with some odd results like EA did with F1 2000. Of course, it's less of an issue nowadays since they could quickly and easily patch the game, but I presume this is the reason why the F1 games still aren't released before the season.

Speaking of the F1 games, I haven't played them since the first Codemasters one in 2010. Are they any good? (EDIT: I guess I could read the OP) I miss Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Releasing before the season would be hard given that the cars themselves are only revealed about 4 weeks before the season

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, there's that too. I don't remember if F1 2000 had accurate car models or just one generic model back in the day, but it's certainly a lot more work to model and texture an F1 car in a modern game than it would've been back then.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally got around to running the sequential gearbox last night. Stumbled a bit at first, but I forgot how helpful it is, and ended up blasting through Argentina. Eventually I'll hook up the wheel and have to learn it all over again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doc M posted:

One problem with that approach is that you can't properly assess the teams' performance levels until after a few races, so if you just guess based on preseason testing and last year's form you might end up with some odd results like EA did with F1 2000. Of course, it's less of an issue nowadays since they could quickly and easily patch the game, but I presume this is the reason why the F1 games still aren't released before the season.

Speaking of the F1 games, I haven't played them since the first Codemasters one in 2010. Are they any good? (EDIT: I guess I could read the OP) I miss Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series...

Yeah seriously that poo poo would be so easy to patch in, and they could even continuously update it as the season goes. Comeon!!

Vando posted:

Releasing before the season would be hard given that the cars themselves are only revealed about 4 weeks before the season

How much does the look of the car really matter though? I guess you gotta do some collision physics testing, but its not like they're simulating aero?

IDK seems like you could basically work on the engine from the last year's game and release it as a new thing with the old cars even, before the season. Then patch in the cars and balance and changes to liveries as the season goes.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
it's 2019, when you're releasing a game based on a real world license I'm p sure "accurately represents the physical likeness of the licensed assets" is bare minimum at this point

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
also phrases like "I'm sure that would be easy to patch in" are definitely giving Codezombie hives everytime he reads this thread

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Vando posted:

also phrases like "I'm sure that would be easy to patch in" are definitely giving Codezombie hives everytime he reads this thread

Meh, its F1, not my circus not my monkeys... ;)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Codezombie posted:

Meh, its F1, not my circus not my monkeys... ;)

Can you honestly say, as a developer, that the phrase doesn't make you twitch involuntarily anytime you read it though? :stonklol:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah seriously that poo poo would be so easy to patch in, and they could even continuously update it as the season goes. Comeon!!

:lol:

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
The Manta 400 and M1 pro car are available in DR2. Did a quick run in the 400 - it definitely feels easier to drive than in DR1, but doesn't have that same pace it seems. Still fun to drive

Kodo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vando posted:

You're intentionally misinterpreting. Bah.

Vando posted:

Can you honestly say, as a developer, that the phrase doesn't make you twitch involuntarily anytime you read it though? :stonklol:

I'm a developer. Its a multi-million dollar game, nothing is easy, everything is relative. Stop being a smug jerk.

Other games do things like this. Jesus.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 9, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

nice meltdown

also nice edit ;)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rule #1: software developers are always right! Always! Listen to them, especially when they tell you in bold letters that they are developers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

Rule #1: software developers are always right! Always! Listen to them, especially when they tell you in bold letters that they are developers.

Rule #1: shitposters are always right!

Did I say I was always right? The hell is your problem tuo?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm a developer. Its a multi-million dollar game, nothing is easy, everything is relative. Stop being a smug jerk.

Zaphod42 posted:

:ughh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Why are you having an aneurysm over this? Is the concept of context just beyond you?

nice meltdown

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
No Zaphod42. you're the shitposters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its something that has been done in other games, and can clearly be done, and could possibly lead to more sales and interest which would be worth the effort of changing the business model slightly. It would of course be difficult as any business venture or especially software project would, but its far beyond feasible and nothing more than any other words some goons post on a comedy webforum about video games.

Do I really have to post that full disclaimer? :rolleyes: Y'all are way too desperate to feel superior. You can say "I don't think it would be worth doing" without being a jerk about it.

:smuggo: games are hard zaphod! Jeeze! Shield your eyes, poor developers who might read these words and weep.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 9, 2019