Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Stringent posted:

Extremely minor niggle, but could you make this case sensitive?

If you make that change, please make it optional. On the rare occasions that someone does type my name, they frequently capitalize it in various different ways, and if it was case sensitive, I'd lose all the "Shortspecialbus" or "ShortSpecialBus"es that happen. Which is also a minor niggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

shortspecialbus posted:

If you make that change, please make it optional. On the rare occasions that someone does type my name, they frequently capitalize it in various different ways, and if it was case sensitive, I'd lose all the "Shortspecialbus" or "ShortSpecialBus"es that happen. Which is also a minor niggle.

Ok, nevermind lol.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SALR makes it optional, so might as well be optional in the app

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Why is dark mode autodisabled?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Also it seems to not be toggling like it used to? Like before during the day it was off and would switch at night but it’s not doing that now for some reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Crime on a Dime posted:

change the Post button in a way that indicates it is now Edit Post?

I’ve got these written down for when I tackle this, thanks!

fartknocker posted:

However, can I put in a fairly low priority request to add or update more of the tags in the app? It may just be the ones I happen to have bookmarked, but a number still use the generic thread tag in the app.

As of the latest update I’m attempting to track missing tags. If I get my poo poo together I’ll compile a list periodically and post it here in case anyone’s interested in cranking some out.

Ogmius815 posted:

Sometimes I can’t see apostrophes in my own posts. Like, I make a post, then notice the apostrophes are missing. Then, I notice that I literally cannot add apostrophes to that post. I can type them all I want in the app, but they don’t end up in the post.

I’ve seen this occasionally in the past, but haven’t for awhile. So I guess this is to say I have no idea what’s going on, but I cheerfully acknowledge there’s an issue!

jit bull transpile posted:

When I scroll through the lepers colony it will randomly jump downward dozens of lines when I scroll past some point.

Sounds like it’s loading the next page. Which is no excuse of course! I’ll add it to the list.

Stare-Out posted:

Is there a way to see sent private messages, or am I missing something?

There is not and you are not. (It’s on the list though!)

power crystals posted:

If you filter a thread by a user's posts and then use "last post" from the page selector thing it takes you to the last page of the unfiltered thread and claims to be on page 0. Using the page navigation in general seems fine, it's just that button.

Indeed it does! I’ll add it to the ol’ list.

Stringent posted:

Extremely minor niggle, but could you make this case sensitive?

I totally see why you’re asking! I do find that people often refer to other users with different casing though, so I don’t want to just unilaterally change it. Maybe a setting would be best here? I’ll add it to the list.

Jeoh posted:

SALR makes it optional, so might as well be optional in the app

Makes the username highlighting optional, or the case-sensitivity optional? Either way, both are on the list!

Golden Bee posted:

The “dark mode” switch is disabled when you have the “automatically enable dark mode” setting turned on. If that’s not turned on for you, then it sounds like I hosed something up when mucking around recently with settings stuff.

MarcusSA posted:

Also it seems to not be toggling like it used to? Like before during the day it was off and would switch at night but it’s not doing that now for some reason.

It’s working ok for me, but as above there’s every chance I hosed something up. Let me know if fiddling with nearby settings (dark mode on/off, brightness threshold) helps at all, that might help narrow down my search for fuckups!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Are the time zones off? Awful app is showing one hour behind my phone’s time for posts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Are the time zones off? Awful app is showing one hour behind my phone’s time for posts.

It’s working correctly for me.

2:41

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

I had that too, I had to go turn off daylight savings from the options on the SA forums website.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Stare-Out posted:

I had that too, I had to go turn off daylight savings from the options on the SA forums website.

Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think the Forums servers/database didn’t get updated time zone info when Canada and the United States pointlessly hosed with daylight saving time start and end dates a decade ago, so times end up being off for those few weeks between the old dates and the new dates. I couldn’t quite figure out something useful Awful could do here, so I gave up.

If you toggle DST in your user control panel, you’ll probably want to toggle it back in a week or two (whenever the DST change would’ve happened under the old scheme).

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey I can't seem to change my app icon this latest beta. Stuck on the lighter blue modern gold bars.

Also my twitters night mode updated to an OLED black theme and it looks dope, we could maybe steal some of this for awful?

Also the top panel slides away for a luxurious full screen scroll.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey I can't seem to change my app icon this latest beta. Stuck on the lighter blue modern gold bars.

Also my twitters night mode updated to an OLED black theme and it looks dope, we could maybe steal some of this for awful?

Also the top panel slides away for a luxurious full screen scroll.

I'm honestly pretty close to that look, apologies that I haven't had much time to go further since I've been pretty busy lately.

I think the larger problem to solve with this is how do we include it? Replace the current dark themes? Rework the theming settings to better accommodate multiple different options for dark and light theme? And do we try to come up with a light theme that includes some of the same elements as the new darkest theme?

I'll revisit some of that this weekend.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hmm. Works for me? I did change the code for loading and displaying the icons in Settings so you don't get (quite as bad) a bump when scrolling them into view, but I didn't change the bits that actually set the icon.

What happens when you tap an icon?

carry on then posted:

I'm honestly pretty close to that look, apologies that I haven't had much time to go further since I've been pretty busy lately.

I think the larger problem to solve with this is how do we include it? Replace the current dark themes? Rework the theming settings to better accommodate multiple different options for dark and light theme? And do we try to come up with a light theme that includes some of the same elements as the new darkest theme?

I'll revisit some of that this weekend.

Ideally we'd rework the theming settings. I'd love to let people set their "default light theme" and "default dark theme", and then specify per-forum overrides for both as well. Finally, we could try to figure out when the user has an OLED screen and set the default dark theme appropriately.

I also have vague grand plans to rework how we specify and store themes, which could even bring back the ability to load custom themes (which I think would be awesome for testing even if almost nobody uses it in the wild). I also think a lot of the implementation of themes (view controller subclasses, subscripting with lovely return type overloads, etc.) would benefit from a thorough cleaning.

But how much of the above is necessary to slide a nice OLED theme in there? Not sure. If we want to have different default dark themes, maybe handling that is the only requirement for now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Hmm. Works for me? I did change the code for loading and displaying the icons in Settings so you don't get (quite as bad) a bump when scrolling them into view, but I didn't change the bits that actually set the icon.

Ideally we'd rework the theming settings. I'd love to let people set their "default light theme" and "default dark theme", and then specify per-forum overrides for both as well. Finally, we could try to figure out when the user has an OLED screen and set the default dark theme appropriately.

I also have vague grand plans to rework how we specify and store themes, which could even bring back the ability to load custom themes (which I think would be awesome for testing even if almost nobody uses it in the wild). I also think a lot of the implementation of themes (view controller subclasses, subscripting with lovely return type overloads, etc.) would benefit from a thorough cleaning.

But how much of the above is necessary to slide a nice OLED theme in there? Not sure. If we want to have different default dark themes, maybe handling that is the only requirement for now.

Yeah, those are good overall goals, but I really want to get this into a place to ship. I think what I'll do is use the existing theme code and build a revised set of options that brings together dark preference plus alternate theme preference.

As a reminder, here's where the look and feel is:

I know the color for the gradient is off, I'll fix that soon. Having been using this myself for awhile now, I'm coming around to the use of the gradient at the bottom of the post to indicate that it's been read as something that's not very intrusive to the overall black theme. The "Parent Forum" bar is supposed to have a bottom border but I'm having problems getting that to show up. I'm thinking similarly thin vertical lines between the individual buttons could also be good. I'd prefer not to change the background entirely away from #000 if possible but it may be a necessity.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mm that would be fun to get into the beta built just to mess with and see what could be adjusted, looking great though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

Yeah, those are good overall goals, but I really want to get this into a place to ship. I think what I'll do is use the existing theme code and build a revised set of options that brings together dark preference plus alternate theme preference.

I’m with you. I wrote up some thoughts about how to get us there, allowing e.g. OLED theme while also making things more comprehensible. Obviously we don’t have to do it exactly as I’ve sketched out, but maybe it’s a start. And I’m happy to help, I have some time to put into Awful this weekend.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
In the Apollo app the developer just added an OLED dark mode as another option in the settings (He calls it pure black dark mode). I kind of like that because I use it on my iPad Pro as well which isn't OLED. If you did some sort of screen detection then it wouldn't even be an option for people non OLED devices.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It was acting as it should in-app. It just wasn't changing on the home screen. The new beta seems to have jolted it right though.

In terms of themes it would make sense to me to stick to just light / dark and have new OLED treatment replace the current dark. Light would have the same visual tweaks to quotes etc but it's pallette resembles the current look.

While we are making changes to themes I reckon it'd be worth making the alt theme the default and potentially dropping the option there for simplicity. Also making the default app icon something more modern and phasing out the old school gold bars which look real dated now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm thinking we'll have a "choose default theme" setting, with separate values for "light" and "dark". Dark can default to OLED on appropriate devices. This is where you'll be able to choose the alternate theme. Also, this obviates the "Forum-Specific Themes" setting that lets you pick e.g. Macinyos as your default theme everywhere; you can do that with the new "default theme" setting.

We already have "choose theme for this forum" settings. I'm thinking those should be separated into "light" and "dark" too, and we should put those in Settings so it's clearer what's going on.

(carry on then, I've started implementing this on the tidy-up-theme-settings branch. Hopefully it's clear where I'm headed, and by all means pick up the torch if you like!)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tyvm for fixing long touch on gifs :cheerdoge:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I'm thinking we'll have a "choose default theme" setting, with separate values for "light" and "dark". Dark can default to OLED on appropriate devices. This is where you'll be able to choose the alternate theme. Also, this obviates the "Forum-Specific Themes" setting that lets you pick e.g. Macinyos as your default theme everywhere; you can do that with the new "default theme" setting.

We already have "choose theme for this forum" settings. I'm thinking those should be separated into "light" and "dark" too, and we should put those in Settings so it's clearer what's going on.

(carry on then, I've started implementing this on the tidy-up-theme-settings branch. Hopefully it's clear where I'm headed, and by all means pick up the torch if you like!)

Hey, you're moving much faster than I can keep up with. I'm thinking I should probably get out of your way. Go ahead and take the changes from my PR and into your branch and then I'll close it.

I'll find a less requested feature to go do sometime, this one's too in-demand to wait for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

Hey, you're moving much faster than I can keep up with. I'm thinking I should probably get out of your way. Go ahead and take the changes from my PR and into your branch and then I'll close it.

I'll find a less requested feature to go do sometime, this one's too in-demand to wait for me.

Ah I hadn't even noticed the theme list screen you'd started on in your fork :/ Sorry for steamrolling you like that, I got excited.

I cherry-picked your theme into master branch and I'm cranking out a beta right now. Looks fantastic! Really appreciate the contribution.

(If you're curious, the only real code change I made was adding a couple theme keys and applying them from view controllers instead of observing the various settings directly/hardcoding the values. Small thing but keeps theme stuff in the same pattern as elsewhere.)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The new theme picker and OLED theme are great. It looks amazing on my XS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So how does one do the whole beta thing?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i wasn't sold on the oled theme from the pics posted but it works really well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

The new theme picker and OLED theme are great. It looks amazing on my XS.

Yeah it’s good poo poo on my iPad, bet it’s even better on the thing it’s designed for!

Warbird posted:

So how does one do the whole beta thing?

Head thisaway: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

I’ll push it out to the App Store in a day or two, to give beta users time to shake out the most obvious issues.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the alignment on this menu seems a bit off.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

pokeyman posted:

Yeah it’s good poo poo on my iPad, bet it’s even better on the thing it’s designed for!

Head thisaway: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

I’ll push it out to the App Store in a day or two, to give beta users time to shake out the most obvious issues.

So far it’s looking great on my XS Max.

Haven’t come across any issues yet.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It looks excellent, what a great implementation!

The gradient style for previous posts aren't working for me. Instead the posts look like the old dark theme which is a sort of confusing quirk. E: after playing a bit more this actually works as intended sometimes but not others. I can't figure out the pattern yet.

The blue icon used on quoted posts should act as a link to the post (like the text next to it currently does.) The blue makes it look like a functional button.

Are we also able to update the platinum grenade used to this in grey?

One other thing that could maybe look good is the bottom nav bar being filled black too instead of semi transparent blurry.

When I use the Parent Forum button I get a grey bar just above the bottom nav.

Links with the alt theme appear the non-alt blue.

The thread loading screen with the :v: animation has an almost but not 100% black background.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 1, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Previews for new threads are bugged for me, they only show the topic, tag and “joined” as it appears next to one’s avatar and nothing else. Also I’m getting double entries on my bookmarks page.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Like the oled theme a lot. One complaint though, the highlight color when you tap on a thread is way too bright.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It looks excellent, what a great implementation!

The gradient style for previous posts aren't working for me. Instead the posts look like the old dark theme which is a sort of confusing quirk. E: after playing a bit more this actually works as intended sometimes but not others. I can't figure out the pattern yet.

The blue icon used on quoted posts should act as a link to the post (like the text next to it currently does.) The blue makes it look like a functional button.

Are we also able to update the platinum grenade used to this in grey?

One other thing that could maybe look good is the bottom nav bar being filled black too instead of semi transparent blurry.

When I use the Parent Forum button I get a grey bar just above the bottom nav.

Links with the alt theme appear the non-alt blue.

The thread loading screen with the :v: animation has an almost but not 100% black background.

hmm, a couple of those used to work. Something might have gotten lost in the merging, I’ll check it out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe the gradient needs to be like half the opacity. I also might have to look at the origins l design file to remember my intention with it.

Funny this goes out same time the twitter one does. Solid work though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The share sheets for images look like they don't have airdrop anymore

I don't think I ever used this, just flagging in case that's an accident

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I pushed a fix for the translucent toolbar in the posts view. e: and a fix for the hyperlink color.

Here are two screenshots of reducing the opacity of the gradient by half. The second also dims the bottom border of read posts.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 1, 2019

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Here are two screenshots of reducing the opacity of the gradient by half. The second also dims the bottom border of read posts.

The dimmer one looks better I think. Real slick.

e: Maybe that quote icon should be a light grey? Feels funny how it's the only piece of always visible thread UI that is blue.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 1, 2019

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the OLED dark theme is really good

thank you for setting that up

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looking forward to the alpha'd read post gradient, imo it looks kinda 2012. It's deffo nice to have a change tho :cheerdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

Looking forward to the alpha'd read post gradient, imo it looks kinda 2012. It's deffo nice to have a change tho :cheerdoge:

You could have chimed in at literally any point in this process, the mockups were posted last year