Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Pharnakes posted:

How do you even lynch somebody underwater anyway?

There are a few underwater only angry mob kills a wizard types that make more sense I will concede. This feels like it happens a lot in Pelagia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The best one of these angry mob events (which I discovered last night) is probably the one where it actually makes a magic site instead of just giving you a handful of gems.

And MA Ulm's great fun, if generally extremely straightforward. I wouldn't really describe those two spells as a magical shotgun though, more as "we brought an entire cold iron crossbow unit in one guy... and we brought more than one of him."

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ulm is cool and from what I know pretty beginner friendly considering how obviously cool and good iron rain is for beginner players. Of course this leads to counters by experienced players but still it's nice. Well armored units and good evocations

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ramc posted:

Turn 9 hell yeah dudes

sending a message to everyone is a really cool strategy. i sent a message to everybody in a different game asking for a namp and got 8 replies and 500 gold.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah I did that

hope it confused people for a bit

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ChaseSP posted:

Ulm is cool and from what I know pretty beginner friendly considering how obviously cool and good iron rain is for beginner players. Of course this leads to counters by experienced players but still it's nice. Well armored units and good evocations

Can confirm, Ulm is what I am using in my first game (AI to learn the commands) and I both don't feel especially overwhelmed (well, for Dominions) and have decent power.

The only thing I'm really not sure of is the best things to give my nifty forged stuff to. Ulmites? Or should I be working toward summoning something for it? I guess I'll see what Ulm pulls this LP!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ulm very Cool and Good and pikes are the best.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

i think sometimes they stake them onto a beach

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benefiting as a blood mage is separate from what I'm talking about. Helping people as part of education and volunteer work doesn't interfere with me treating consenting adults as capable of participating in a blood sacrifice that is beneficial to all. I take the risk and profit if the risk pays off and lose if the risk does not pay off, they take no risk and pay a consistent amount no matter what happens. In no way am I preventing anyone from being a blood mage to undertake these risks themselves and am not coercing engagement in these contracts.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Prism posted:

Can confirm, Ulm is what I am using in my first game (AI to learn the commands) and I both don't feel especially overwhelmed (well, for Dominions) and have decent power.

The only thing I'm really not sure of is the best things to give my nifty forged stuff to. Ulmites? Or should I be working toward summoning something for it? I guess I'll see what Ulm pulls this LP!

Death is a common path if you want thugs, while you could just make your battlemages better at the magma spells

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ulm's big flaw is that doesn't really have access to the kind of thugs that can maximize the benefit from supercheap earth and fire gear. They get really scary when paired up with such nations in disciples games, tho.

Ulm's secret advantage is that it's actually an extremely powerful research nation, since it can poo poo out lightless lanterns better than anyone else in the game, and can get access to 1 gem owl quills very early if you get lucky with randoms.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 1, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thugs are a toy distraction. What you need to do is

#1 diversify to blood. this is blod stones and well, blood. Blood is good. Stones give you easy access to E5 mages since you will have a fair number of E3s over time. E5 does scary poo poo lategame
#2 cast EBDW
#3 develop your astral. Astral xpaths are very important for your viability. Will also let you make cool iron angel toys for victory lap. If you find an S indie you should absolutely wage war in order to get them if necessary. with your discount matrices you can layer some very strong battlefield buffs that totally ruin people. Coincidentally, EBDW and Mass Flight are both ench7 and having your stuff fly negates their main lovely drawback of being slow walkers.

You can absolutely do apkallu discord 2h greatsword of sharpness meme for almost no cost if you feel like it though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Death is a common path if you want thugs, while you could just make your battlemages better at the magma spells

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nuclearmonkee posted:

#1 diversify to blood. this is blod stones and well, blood. Blood is good. Stones give you easy access to E5 mages since you will have a fair number of E3s over time. E5 does scary poo poo lategame
#2 cast EBDW
#3 develop your astral. Astral xpaths are very important for your viability. Will also let you make cool iron angel toys for victory lap. If you find an S indie you should absolutely wage war in order to get them if necessary. with your discount matrices you can layer some very strong battlefield buffs that totally ruin people. Coincidentally, EBDW and Mass Flight are both ench7 and having your stuff fly negates their main lovely drawback of being slow walkers.

You can absolutely do apkallu discord 2h greatsword of sharpness meme for almost no cost if you feel like it though.

This dude knows his dominions.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm sad it always falls to blood/death but ultimately you're a horrible power mongering monster willing to drat the world to rule in Hell.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

ChaseSP posted:

I'm sad it always falls to blood/death but ultimately you're a horrible power mongering monster willing to drat the world to rule in Hell.

As the (hopefully) one true God it's up to you to determine what's moral and immoral!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

This dude knows his dominions.

He is probably the single best Dominions player around. A powerful self-own.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

He is probably the single best Dominions player around. A powerful self-own.

?

I agreed with him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you have not owned yourself, my dad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

ChaseSP posted:

You can fix that poo poo once everyone else is dead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm a big dumb idiot actually. I just have the necessary autism points and experience with this horrible undocumented game to make the fiddly bits mostly work together to get those comedy battle reports where you kill 500 things and lose nothing.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

?

I agreed with him.

nuclearmonkee owned himself by getting good at dominions

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

goatface posted:

You can fix that poo poo once everyone else is dead.

You fix everything up, lounge back into your throne attention finally free to wander the infinite cosmos. Suddenly you feel this odd beckoning out into the abyss of space. At first you ignore it but eventually curiosity takes the better hold of and you leave your throne and world behind, never to return.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tollymain posted:

you have not owned yourself, my dad

Ramc posted:

nuclearmonkee owned himself by getting good at dominions

Ah, but now I have owned myself. :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nuclearmonkee posted:

#2 cast EBDW

What I actually did (this being my first full game, and going vaguely blind-ish) was use a monolith with astral and more earth (including E5) because I wanted to see what the Iron Angel was, so I guess I was at least partway there.

(what's EBDW)

I'll take further questions to the main Dominions 5 thread or on the Discord though, probably, since it's not the nation ramc's using.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Earth Blood Deep Well, AKA that thing that gives you twenty earth gems per turn, AKA endless supply of cocaine to Ulm

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Pharnakes posted:

Bigass balloons

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tying somebody over a volcanic vent would probably do it

e: wait you guys realize lynching is much more general than a noose right

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ulm's super fun and one of my favorite ma nations

la man's fun too i like their crossbow knight dudes

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tollymain posted:

tying somebody over a volcanic vent would probably do it

e: wait you guys realize lynching is much more general than a noose right

Just tying a triton down is probably cruel torture, if they aren’t a mage and have gills.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Just tying a triton down is probably cruel torture, if they aren’t a mage and have gills.

please don't kinkshame

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Unless the in-combat changes have significantly crippled this strategy in 5, one real good trick to midgame MA Ulm is Rain of Stones traps. You'll generally get enough A random Master Smiths (assuming you're doing decently in terms of expansion and mage building) to have an okay supply of them, and you get such easy construction that you just toss some E-booster boots, armor and helmets on them, then just script them to cast it once or twice before retreating. Use several to a province if you prefer safety against a large army. Most nation's mages do NOT take well to eating a stone to the head before they can even get off their defensive buffs or blesses.

Technically you can use them offensively too, but then you are potentially running into them getting a buff up first which mitigates the damage.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Unless the in-combat changes have significantly crippled this strategy in 5, one real good trick to midgame MA Ulm is Rain of Stones traps. You'll generally get enough A random Master Smiths (assuming you're doing decently in terms of expansion and mage building) to have an okay supply of them, and you get such easy construction that you just toss some E-booster boots, armor and helmets on them, then just script them to cast it once or twice before retreating. Use several to a province if you prefer safety against a large army. Most nation's mages do NOT take well to eating a stone to the head before they can even get off their defensive buffs or blesses.

Technically you can use them offensively too, but then you are potentially running into them getting a buff up first which mitigates the damage.

Rain of Stones has been changed significantly alas. You can still kind of do it with earthquake casting. RoS now, iirc, is a battlefield enchantment that plinks at everyone on the map over time.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
they also messed with casting times, so the big spells like earthquake take more than a round to go off

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah the real time change upended the instant defense trap army wiping strats and they kicked RoS in the junk. Being a 9hp little old man in a pink dress has never been better.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That's... unfortunate. I hadn't tested so I wasn't sure if the RT change screwed up the strategy too much, but majorly nerfing the effects of Rain of Stones at the same time seems excessive. Especially given it's up at Evoc 7, and it's not like multiple other good battlefield killing spells around there got by basically unchanged as I understand it (Fire Storm, for instance).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

That's... unfortunate. I hadn't tested so I wasn't sure if the RT change screwed up the strategy too much, but majorly nerfing the effects of Rain of Stones at the same time seems excessive. Especially given it's up at Evoc 7, and it's not like multiple other good battlefield killing spells around there got by basically unchanged as I understand it (Fire Storm, for instance).

The little plinker hits are actually real bad for little wizards even if they don't fall over dead because damage interrupts spellcasting and the good stuff has long windups. It pretty well shuts down 0 prot mages if they don't appropriately buff to not get owned by it and can easily kill them w/ DRN rolls.

You just don't get "welp, you walked to the wrong province and died before you took an action, sorry" anymore.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

It's probably a change for the best honestly. I don't miss 'first turn' or laboriously lining up my forces just-so to get first strike vs indies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You just don't get "welp, you walked to the wrong province and died before you took an action, sorry" anymore.

unless you are fighting nazca