Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RIP Coy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"Didn't you smoke crack with Peter Green?"
"Jesus Christ that would be loving awesome"

:laffo: the banter really is the best part of this show.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Swear to God a few hours before listening to 706 just now I found myself wondering if Jonathan had ever used Jim Sullivan for an intro or outro song and there it is.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
drat, I guess Seth really took this closure hard.

http://www.playbill.com/article/los-angeles-samuel-french-bookstore-closes-early-following-vandalism

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
UYD: fully exposed PG13 handjobs

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
CFNM days turn in to CFNM nights.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Seth being irish after all the poo poo he talked over the years will never stop being funny.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Kiss my Italian rear end

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Hey dude, your erotica is wack."

"Hey dude, no one wants to see your balls."

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 26, 2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
703 near the end was classic uyd. J talking about going to that "5th dimensional living" seminar with a go pro and watching ron perform alien implant removal.

I would genuinely want to watch that. He could an ear piece with seth feeding him questions from a van outside.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hot take: I'd be cool if Seth never discussed Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up routines again. It's literally the same bit every single time, we get it man. He sucks.

But, that was a fantastic Seth rant at the end of 709.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C-Euro posted:

Hot take: I'd be cool if Seth never discussed Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up routines again. It's literally the same bit every single time, we get it man. He sucks.

I don't know, there's kind of a fun meta aspect to Seth's bit about how Seinfeld's tired, overused bits itself becoming tired and overused.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

What, they haven't gone off on anyone like that in ages, I loved the callback. 709 was actually pretty hilarious, it had the vibe of one of their old-school eps

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Haven't listened to 709 yet but did they do a bit on Leno and Seinfeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktqv-Q7Zf3k

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

710: "Obviously we can't meet in person. I'm thinking of dying in a car wreck."

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Still making progress on my relisten, currently on The Lost Episodes. Remember some of my favorite bits, Seth ripping on Robin Williams' racist black guy character, "and by loving I mean loving and by loving I mean hitting." Laughing and slapping.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Biodome posted:

Still making progress on my relisten, currently on The Lost Episodes. Remember some of my favorite bits, Seth ripping on Robin Williams' racist black guy character, "and by loving I mean loving and by loving I mean hitting." Laughing and slapping.
Keep us in the loop with any other gems you come across yo!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think "laughing and slapping" may be Seth's greatest contribution to the lexicon.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

In the mirror universe, The Jesus & John Show just passed the 700 epp mark. Seth sits and Jonathan stands in the video clips.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Does anybody remember those few "Whooo is Amir?" segments they did earlier in the show, mabe somewhere in the 100-300 range? At the time they kind of acted like it was a precursor to something, I wonder if they considered having him on in a non-musical capacity at some point?

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I guess we now know whats more unfunny than Jonathan's 2-year-long depression: its Seth's screaming and complaining about other comedians.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Sethro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEIJytucQDc

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TV ONLINE posted:

Well, I guess we now know whats more unfunny than Jonathan's 2-year-long depression: its Seth's screaming and complaining about other comedians.

I used to find his impressions of that old guy who complained about stuff hilarious (forgive me I'm not american so I never knew who he was). That must be testament to seth doing some thing right.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I used to find his impressions of that old guy who complained about stuff hilarious (forgive me I'm not american so I never knew who he was). That must be testament to seth doing some thing right.

Yes, I used to find it funny to, but Seth's delivery in those bits has changed drastically over the years. He used to describe ridiculous things like bad comedians, news stories, country songs, etc in a dead pan way that made it really funny. Now he resorts to screaming or saying catch-phrases "HOW IS YOU-RE MOO-VIE?!?" or he tries to heighten the comedy by doing weird impressions (like instead of just reading the country music lyrics he does them in a ridiculous red neck voice). I guess it just gets really old really quickly and I know he's trying to make it funny but somehow he's lost the knack.

Between this and the shows just having a lot less energy lately, I find myself skipping episodes or even putting off listening to them and getting behind. I'm glad Jonathan is a lot more engaged lately and the video episodes are great, but I'm just being more and more put off with Seth's screeching.

Also, somehow the lack of growth in Seth as a person has become more and more depressing to me. I've been listening to this guy every week for almost a decade now and he is still a stalled out, un-married loner with all kinds of hang ups and basically no knowledge of the world outside of who acted in what movie. He screams about the world being broken and whack but he has no insights on how to fix it or any idea of the true complexities. Honestly I think I'm just getting pissed at him and his ignorance and so that's the wrong attitude to go into listening to a comedy podcast with.

I think I just need to take a break. I'll check in on this thread from time to time to see if Seth's ready to be funny again.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Mate...

yeah just take a break

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The foundational premise of Uhh Yeah Dude has always been "our culture and our world are changing so fast that we can ever hope to keep up with it or comprehend it, and we're all doomed to be old and gay". Their worldview is actually pretty conservative (though I'm sure they'd blanch at that description), except that their goal isn't to fight a changing world, it's just to learn to live in it and try not to be lovely.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
it's a comedy podcast

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Didn't Seth just go to Hawaii with his girlfriend?

Un-married loner what??

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sssssssh don't break kayfabe

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
He's probably grumpy because this is his reality

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mrhflrs/status/1112924566312050690

Also what about Miz

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Well never mind.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 4, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

C-Euro posted:

He's probably grumpy because this is his reality

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mrhflrs/status/1112924566312050690

"...IS THIS, LIKE, A KOREAN THING?"

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

TV ONLINE posted:

Yes, I used to find it funny to, but Seth's delivery in those bits has changed drastically over the years. He used to describe ridiculous things like bad comedians, news stories, country songs, etc in a dead pan way that made it really funny. Now he resorts to screaming or saying catch-phrases "HOW IS YOU-RE MOO-VIE?!?" or he tries to heighten the comedy by doing weird impressions (like instead of just reading the country music lyrics he does them in a ridiculous red neck voice). I guess it just gets really old really quickly and I know he's trying to make it funny but somehow he's lost the knack.

Between this and the shows just having a lot less energy lately, I find myself skipping episodes or even putting off listening to them and getting behind. I'm glad Jonathan is a lot more engaged lately and the video episodes are great, but I'm just being more and more put off with Seth's screeching.

Also, somehow the lack of growth in Seth as a person has become more and more depressing to me. I've been listening to this guy every week for almost a decade now and he is still a stalled out, un-married loner with all kinds of hang ups and basically no knowledge of the world outside of who acted in what movie. He screams about the world being broken and whack but he has no insights on how to fix it or any idea of the true complexities. Honestly I think I'm just getting pissed at him and his ignorance and so that's the wrong attitude to go into listening to a comedy podcast with.

I think I just need to take a break. I'll check in on this thread from time to time to see if Seth's ready to be funny again.

Lol at all of this but especially at calling someone unmarried as a putdown in 2019.

???

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TV ONLINE posted:

100% you've changed. Podcasts are like friends in that you outgrow them occasionally. In fact, because their vitality depends on a consistent (stagnant) personality, they seldom outgrow you.
e: also yeah lol at unmarried loner being an insult. I guess you are married now?

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 6, 2019

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
Seth's exaggerated "how's your ______ ?!?!?!?!" has been a constant through pretty much the entire show. That isn't new. And he is more worldly and in touch than he lets on... there is an element of him playing a character, a hammed up version of his real self. This seems obvious to me and is a key part of the fun of UYD. If you can't dig it that's ok, but maybe the show isn't for you.

He's also the sweetest most gracious dude ever. He returns EVERY SINGLE CALL left on the voice mail. He has called me back and we've talked about pop culture, sports, politics, the show itself, random poo poo going on in my life, etc.

In short, please do not disparage our sweet boy Seth.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Seth yells more than he used to, that's true, but he's still very endearing and fun

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

PosteriorChain posted:

He's also the sweetest most gracious dude ever. He returns EVERY SINGLE CALL left on the voice mail. He has called me back and we've talked about pop culture, sports, politics, the show itself, random poo poo going on in my life, etc.

Always wondered, if you leave a message without giving your number does the service automatically record it or something? I almost called once when they asked for vegan restaurant recommendations on tour (turns out the place had changed location and didn't have the greatest reviews anymore so I didn't) and a surprise Seth might've been the end of me

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He also doesn't need to constantly ask J to repeat every single stat he reads out.

We are just nit picking here though. They aren't the same people they were in 07, none of us are so you can't really hold that against them.

They are very self aware though which sets them apart. They aren't trying to be some thing they aren't. They are self deprecating and accept criticism.

Just remember if you want old uyd there is the entire back catalogue out there. I have been through it a few times now.

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

flesh dance posted:

Always wondered, if you leave a message without giving your number does the service automatically record it or something? I almost called once when they asked for vegan restaurant recommendations on tour (turns out the place had changed location and didn't have the greatest reviews anymore so I didn't) and a surprise Seth might've been the end of me

Well yeah he only calls back if you leave your number and imply that you want him to do so.

Jippa posted:

He also doesn't need to constantly ask J to repeat every single stat he reads out.

I was thinking the same thing... Seth has had a lot of things like this through the years, where he gets hooked on doing a specific bit or phrase all the time. But the way I think about it is, I and everyone I know has certain phrases and speech patterns they overuse. These guys have been talking into mics for an hour every week for 13 years so naturally that's going to stick out a lot in this format.

But like you said, they are self-aware and accept criticism so it's all good. They keep it real and with the format of their show and their honesty that's going to mean them being a bit corny sometimes. But whomst amongst us, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
They're also Gen-Xers. They're of a generation where "being authentic" and not selling out are the most important virtues. It kind of explains why they were so long on taking to Patreon. It's great if you dislike ads as much as I do, but since they're not of a generation that grew up on technology they are not Extremely Online Millennials and sometimes it seems like their worldview can lag behind the times a bit. That's not to say they're not trying. Look at how often Jonathan used to drop the short F-bomb or describe things with the R-word. They've definitely changed with the times and are still consistenly putting out a quality podcast.