Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I drop a dish, I try to get it to land on my foot first. That way it doesn't hit the ground nearly as hard. But how often does this come up, really?

Bare concrete floors suck because they're cold. You need a million rugs if you're going to do anything without wearing shoes/slippers.

Yeah, that's a -real bad- reflex to train yourself in.

Source: Professional who's watched someone drive an 6" chef's knife through their foot, top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

~Coxy posted:

What do you have in your kitchen that won't break a dish?
Linoleum (I rent), so it's super forgiving, but I thought wood or attractive fake wood is also less shattery. Even if something cracks in half rather than exploding into a million fragments, that's an improvement imo. Also, like others have said, standing is going to suck unless you have mats that cover up your fancy concrete patterns

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How much drunk cooking are you all doing? I think the only dropped glass in my apartment was an obliterated friend who shouldn’t have been trusted with a lowball glass.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's a -real bad- reflex to train yourself in.

Source: Professional who's watched someone drive an 6" chef's knife through their foot, top to bottom.

Yeah but I’m way more likely to drop my cell phone, so that’s a reflex I’m willing to take a chance with.

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man
https://youtu.be/vvFeqL86JBk

All ya’ll need to take some pointers from my man Neil. :smuggo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve never used a phone case and I’ve never cracked a screen or otherwise come to regret that choice.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But yeah, concrete is bad for the body to be standing on for any length of time, apart from being cold. It's also uncomfortable to sit, crawl or lie on, so good luck if you have kids.

x 1000 I love the look of (non stained) polished concrete floors, but they’re horrible for everything I’d want in a home - just too hard.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Religious Man posted:

https://youtu.be/vvFeqL86JBk

All ya’ll need to take some pointers from my man Neil. :smuggo:

Oh so the solution to not be a clumsy oaf, that's what I've been doing right.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That’s an email-with-attachment to the Fire Marshall right there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What's wrong here? It says do not open and they even used fire rated plywood!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Dirk Gently

Dave Firmly.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Please tell me that is just from that really sad Flinstones hotel

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I get a vague The Neverhood vibe from that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

'I'll take one of everything in the Home Depot return/clearance bin, please'

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Trabant posted:

I'm glad someone else remembers that game, and agree.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Check out this nonsense I found at the art supply store.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Please tell me that's supposed to be a display and isn't actually in use. That poor switch :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seems to code to me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I'm the network switch they bought off the shelf at the Staples that anchors the other end of the strip mall.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

wolrah posted:

I'm glad someone else remembers that game, and agree.

I occasionally convince myself I just dreamed The Neverhood so it's always nice to see its existence confirmed in the wild. Especially since the soundtrack gets stuck in my head sometimes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chitin posted:

I occasionally convince myself I just dreamed The Neverhood so it's always nice to see its existence confirmed in the wild. Especially since the soundtrack gets stuck in my head sometimes.

I was looking at the OST CD in on-line shops and it was too expensive but then I found out I could just order it from the guy's web page for 20 € less, even with shipping. (This was some years ago though.)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Freaquency posted:

Please tell me that's supposed to be a display and isn't actually in use. That poor switch :(

Eh. Screw down the switch boxes better and add some 75¢ knockout plugs and that suddenly is up to code. I've seen MUCH worse in several warehouses. As for the switch hanging by its Ethernet cable, it'd make IT angry, but I bet it still works.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 31, 2019

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

RJ45 clips in for a reason :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

RJ45 clips in for a reason :colbert:

Apparently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Load-bearing ethernet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trabant posted:

I was about to say Tatooine motel.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I used to use a laptop as my personal mail server. It was just the motherboard hanging from the wall by an ethernet cable. This reminds me of that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chrisgt posted:

I used to use a laptop as my personal mail server. It was just the motherboard hanging from the wall by an ethernet cable. This reminds me of that.

Welcome to the Something Awful dot com comedy forums, Madam Secretary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Welcome to the Something Awful dot com comedy forums, Madam Secretary.

you joke but that computer was literally a goon's project

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

chrisgt posted:

I once worked for a literal actual criminal who claimed to do SEO, and his "server room" was a shelf with a couple of laptops plugged into a network switch, running some pirated version of Windows Server on each. That's where our CRM and most of the websites were hosted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mac Mini colocation was (apparently still is) a thing:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've gone from uncertain to really impressed with the bamboo scaffolds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm the network switch they bought off the shelf at the Staples that anchors the other end of the strip mall.

Why in the world would this be bad for an independent retailer to do

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've gone from uncertain to really impressed with the bamboo scaffolds.

I seem to recall reading that bamboo can be processed somehow to make a material that's reasonably competitive with carbon fiber and a lot cheaper. It's a pretty impressive material.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Playstation 3 used to be the most affordable GPU farming machine for a while.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

So is Mac Pro colo.

It makes sense to a certain extent for Mac OS or iOS developers looking to set up a build/test/CI type system because the Xserve doesn't exist anymore and Mac OS can't be legally virtualized on non-Apple hardware.

There are also a surprising number of people who want to run their own personal server for whatever reason but can't be bothered to learn the couple of differences between doing it on Mac and doing it on Linux, and are willing to pay for the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

wolrah posted:

So is Mac Pro colo.

It makes sense to a certain extent for Mac OS or iOS developers looking to set up a build/test/CI type system because the Xserve doesn't exist anymore and Mac OS can't be legally virtualized on non-Apple hardware.

Yep. The iOS App Store EULA for devs includes a requirement that all submitted IPAs have to be built with Xcode, and the Xcode EULA demands that it only be run on Apple hardware. (I kinda doubt that Apple could actually tell if an IPA was built on a Hackintosh, but meh, w/e.)

Pretty much every large iOS dev company will have a setup like this somewhere. It sucks, too, because the Mini uses a low-power laptop CPU, and the Pros haven't gotten upgrades since 2013. It takes ~30 minutes to do a clean build of my app on a Pro, compared to ~7 minutes on a 2018 iMac.