Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hoshi posted:

I'm really liking Yiik btw

Your playthrough that is, what an awful game

<3 You're a sweet person. It helps that half my job is being sociable so people will like me and give me money to hang out with them and tell them how they hosed up.

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is next and that's an actual good game and will make all of us cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Helpful tip for old lawyers. Don't take criminal cases to help a friend if you don't understand how sentencing works.

At least young lawyers know we're dumb.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I love seeing old lawyers bloviate about nonsense and get smacked down by judges

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I love seeing old lawyers bloviate about nonsense and get smacked down by judges

Especially because its invariably preceded by them trying to bigtime you.

No man dont care how many stripes your suit has or how nice the jag you came to court is, you're stuck here in shitsville with me now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Anyone ever deal with a relativity database? Gotta get files prepared for one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only from the user doc review side. Jesus did that suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve got two cases with hundreds of documents/images each and have to prep them for it. I’ve got two weeks to make it happen, though. I don’t really wanna bug the Kirkland & Ellis paralegal too much with questions about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve got two cases with hundreds of documents/images each and have to prep them for it. I’ve got two weeks to make it happen, though. I don’t really wanna bug the Kirkland & Ellis paralegal too much with questions about it.

bug the K&E paralegal about it. relativity and other doc review stuff is complicated and big firms have specialized people handle it. why in god's name is that being handed off to you? not like "oh handling it is beneath you as a lawyer", its that handing off something like that to a lawyer sounds as well-thought-out as handing over some electrical work you need done in your home to a lawyer

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yes, bug the poo poo out of the biglaw paralegal. It will speed that poo poo up for you and the paralegal will bill time for it. You both win.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does your firm not have a paralegal? Adding doc review bullshit to relativity is 100% a paralegal job even if you're at a tiny-rear end shop and have no support staff. In that case you probably aren't even doing relativity by yourself, you're contracting with a litigation support company to provide you with a relativity platform, in which case get them on the phone and ask them what questions you need to be asking the K&E paralegal. Or better yet setup a conference call between your relativity person and K&E.

Basically what I'm saying is the technical bullshit associated with relativity is not a lawyer task.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

bug the K&E paralegal about it. relativity and other doc review stuff is complicated and big firms have specialized people handle it. why in god's name is that being handed off to you? not like "oh handling it is beneath you as a lawyer", its that handing off something like that to a lawyer sounds as well-thought-out as handing over some electrical work you need done in your home to a lawyer

This is related to BP PTO #67 clients. We have a specific list of poo poo we have to provide them. The amended order did nothing to really clarify. Lucky for me we only have two clients left and not hundreds like some other firms.

The email replies I’ve got from the paralegal were pretty short and not really helpful in any way, so I dunno if they’re going to provide any assistance even if I ask. I’ll shoot him another email if I can’t figure it out with a little bit of research this weekend. From what I understand I just need to make a master index file in .csv format that has the information about the various documents.

It’s my job because it’s my job now. My boss is in his mid 70s. He’s not gonna have a clue and our secretary has never used it either. The guy I replaced said he used it once during his 2L year of lawschool during a digital discovery class, but that was in 2013.

The court doesn’t give a gently caress if we figure it out properly, and I don’t think K&E does either because it just means that our claims get dismissed and they/BP can focus on the remaining few hundred cases instead.

I’m used to sql and am familiar with similar databases. I’ve never used any type of document database, though, and have to throw myself into a crash course this weekend. If I can’t figure it out, I need to tell the boss Monday so we can quickly get someone in to help make it happen. Thankfully my predecessor got the clients to submit everything to us in advance so I just have to summarize, catalogue, and submit to K&E by the 15th.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arcturas posted:

Does your firm not have a paralegal? Adding doc review bullshit to relativity is 100% a paralegal job even if you're at a tiny-rear end shop and have no support staff. In that case you probably aren't even doing relativity by yourself, you're contracting with a litigation support company to provide you with a relativity platform, in which case get them on the phone and ask them what questions you need to be asking the K&E paralegal. Or better yet setup a conference call between your relativity person and K&E.

Basically what I'm saying is the technical bullshit associated with relativity is not a lawyer task.

We do not have a paralegal. I’ll have to see if I can find one who we can grab to help us with this if it’s as difficult as the thread has made it seem.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
For your entertainment, the Alex Jones depo tapes:

part 1

part 2

transcript

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Relativity sucks and I’m glad I never have to deal with that bullshit again.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Toona the Cat posted:

Relativity sucks and I’m glad I never have to deal with that bullshit again.

I remember quite clearly talking to one of our paralegals when I first started, who (accurately) stated “Relativity sucks but it’s still better than the other options.”

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Kalman posted:

I remember quite clearly talking to one of our paralegals when I first started, who (accurately) stated “Relativity sucks but it’s still better than the other options.”

I thought Nextpoint was solid and easy to use.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Dat feeling when the Court of Appeals grants your writ of mandamus. :omarcomin:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Reminder that most legal software is created by people who failed at at least 2 careers. They couldn't figure out what to do after undergrad so they decided to go to law school. Then they failed in the legal profession and decided they could fill a niche and sell software to law firms.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please bug the poo poo out of them. Kirkland exists solely to have infinite resources - if they're on the case, utilize it.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I think Relativity is great and have never had a problem. What issues are there? Maybe different versions? I can build any tags or searches that I want. Anything I've wanted to get done, there has been a way. I've dealt with some other lovely platforms and Relativity has blown them away.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I think Relativity is great and have never had a problem. What issues are there? Maybe different versions? I can build any tags or searches that I want. Anything I've wanted to get done, there has been a way. I've dealt with some other lovely platforms and Relativity has blown them away.

Relativity developer spotted!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Got seated at the Goon table at Lote's wedding. Unamuno and his wife are cool people and remind me to message you when I'm in town December 19.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GrandmaParty posted:

Got seated at the Goon table at Lote's wedding. Unamuno and his wife are cool people and remind me to message you when I'm in town December 19.

Was this in New Orleans? If so I hope you had fun! If not I still hope you had fun but it would’ve been better in New Orleans.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Was this in New Orleans? If so I hope you had fun! If not I still hope you had fun but it would’ve been better in New Orleans.

It was Dallas or I would have requested you take me for a drink somewhere.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GrandmaParty posted:

It was Dallas or I would have requested you take me for a drink somewhere.

And I would have done it. Any time.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

We do not have a paralegal. I’ll have to see if I can find one who we can grab to help us with this if it’s as difficult as the thread has made it seem.

I’ve set up a few Relativity reviews and always relied on the outside litigation support staff for the back-end set up and document intake. My sense is that it’s complicated and wouldn’t be easy to learn in a short amount of time. I would ask K&E paralegal and also see if your firm or K&E can coordinate with litigation support staff.

Once the docs are loaded it’s pretty straightforward to customize the review environment and create searches and otherwise segment the documents on your own. Feel free to PM but I won’t be useful for back-end stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m not loading docs or anything. Just have to make sure everything is in a format so they can load it when I send it over. I’m gonna email them in the morning.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmm a fortnight of exposure to the Argentine legal system really drives home how horrific our jail and prison policies are. They had a prison inspection and labor union run entirely by inmates and a fully functional branch of the University of Burnos Aires operating in one of their detention facilities (no difference between prison and jail there) where guards could not enter without a court order.

Union heads actually had a meeting with a deputy justice minister to discuss prison overcrowding and state their hands for reform. It was genuinely impressive and inspirational.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Two things are simultaneously true about Relativity:

-it is a cruel and unfeeling monstrosity, designed from the ground up to enhance the suffering of its users
-it is by far the best doc review software I've ever dealt with

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

GrandmaParty posted:

You got it, bud. Great to meet y'all too. Goon tables are the best tables.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Two things are simultaneously true about Relativity:

-it is a cruel and unfeeling monstrosity, designed from the ground up to enhance the suffering of its users
-it is by far the best doc review software I've ever dealt with

The democracy of doc review software.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Made rookie mistake on my LSAT: got stuck solving a logic game instead of moving on, so by the time the 5 minutes call went out, I was still on question 9. :(

I'll definitely be retaking it in June, but now I wonder whether I should cancel Saturday's score altogether.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ephemeron posted:

Made rookie mistake on my LSAT: got stuck solving a logic game instead of moving on, so by the time the 5 minutes call went out, I was still on question 9. :(

I'll definitely be retaking it in June, but now I wonder whether I should cancel Saturday's score altogether.

Maybe you should post the score when you get it and quit being such a bitch if you want to make it in this line of work

edit: and quit loving up your standardized tests like a layman dipshit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ephemeron posted:

I think that’s a big sign that the bullshit of lawschool and the practice of law is not for you. Take it as a positive and do something else with your life that will make you more money, provide more job satisfaction, and won’t turn you into a substance abuser with a higher than average risk of suicide.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

While that's a great idea in general, I fear that it might be too late to make that pivot in my case, seeing as how I've been practicing law for nine years now (not in a common law jurisdiction, though, hence the need for LSAT and extra years of schooling). As for substance abuse and suicide risks, I hope that getting out of Russia will help with both.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ephemeron posted:

As for substance abuse and suicide risks, I hope that getting out of Russia will help with both.

Couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on it

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ephemeron posted:

While that's a great idea in general, I fear that it might be too late to make that pivot in my case, seeing as how I've been practicing law for nine years now (not in a common law jurisdiction, though, hence the need for LSAT and extra years of schooling). As for substance abuse and suicide risks, I hope that getting out of Russia will help with both.

Did you change your name or did we get another Russian lawyer?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

nm posted:

Looks like meat is back on the menu

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

nm posted:

The latter!

(Hi, I'm Eph. I mostly do IP-related stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ephemeron posted:

The latter!

(Hi, I'm Eph. I mostly do IP-related stuff.)

uh huh

so what'd you do to piss putin off and why are you in hiding, Alexey