Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

kirbysuperstar posted:

FF7 on PS4 (and now Switch and Bone) is explicitly a port of the PC port, so no, it's just because it's FF8

eeh... it seems a bit more complex than that...

https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/14/isnt-ps4-xbox-switch-port-final-fantasy-8-preservation-may-answer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have been playing FFXIV real good and did all the content and all my poo poo is at a good pre-expansion point. I did Eureka for a bit and it made me get nostalgic for FFXI and, in true Stockholm Syndrome fashion, I downloaded the trial and got into it. After a 6-hour download (:wtc:), I'm level 20 and man this game is actually good now? I ran across the world and can go back and forth between Bastok/Sandoria.

The trial means I can't interact with the auction house but I don't need to because I have about 6000 sparks and can get any gear I want through that. Frankly I could give a gently caress about endgame poo poo which I imagine is where the bad/dumb part is. I play RDM so between the spells and weapon skills I have a good amount of options to kill dudes. I just never went through the story when I played it 10+ years ago and figured I could blast through it now.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

jokes posted:

I have been playing FFXIV real good and did all the content and all my poo poo is at a good pre-expansion point. I did Eureka for a bit and it made me get nostalgic for FFXI and, in true Stockholm Syndrome fashion, I downloaded the trial and got into it. After a 6-hour download (:wtc:), I'm level 20 and man this game is actually good now? I ran across the world and can go back and forth between Bastok/Sandoria.

The trial means I can't interact with the auction house but I don't need to because I have about 6000 sparks and can get any gear I want through that. Frankly I could give a gently caress about endgame poo poo which I imagine is where the bad/dumb part is. I play RDM so between the spells and weapon skills I have a good amount of options to kill dudes. I just never went through the story when I played it 10+ years ago and figured I could blast through it now.

The QoL stuff they added with trusts and other ways to make money/interact/etc. made the game a lot more tolerable. It was fun for a couple months to go back and play again to revisit everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well I'm a 30 RDM and 20 on all the other starter jobs since they each only took like 2 hours each. The Sparks system is insanely good exp. It was a great nostalgia trip, but now I'd actually like to do the story or whatever since I could give a poo poo about endgame stuff.

Back in the day I fully Ignored the story and pretty much all content and only tried to get levels, and I quit at like 40 on a DRK. This time I figure I'll instead try to do the story.

Only thing is I don't know what the story is or where it starts or in what order things are supposed to be. At the end of the day, I'm under the impression that I'm supposed to do my San'doria rank missions and then that is supposed to lead into the expansions sequentially?

Also I got a pop up about rhapsodies of vanadiel, is that something I'm supposed to gently caress with? I know doing that will increase the amount of trusts I can have which is very valuable. I hate Adelbert or whatever I just want a Trust that'll spam fire or blizzard or whatever. And a healer that won't blow all their mana on enfeebling stuff.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Missions

Start with your home nation, all 3 nations converge at Mission 4. Then do the expansions in order.

Rhapsodies will be interwoven with the story so do those as you go as well. You will need help with the siren fight.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Rhapsodies also gives you key items that unlock permanent bonuses like xp and skill gain. It also gives you exclusive trusts and starts you on the path of beginning each major story so that you can get a good idea of which ones you are more interested in completing first.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I see. So is the goon link shell dead or should I get in on that?

E: also how would I find y'all?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jokes posted:

I see. So is the goon link shell dead or should I get in on that?

E: also how would I find y'all?

I have no idea about a link shell or anything. I'm mostly just playing with my gf who is a long-time vet of the game. I am on Asura server, but my playtime is erratic. :(

For a couple interesting links for Rhapsodies, you can find the progression of missions and when you get rewards here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Rhapsodies_of_Vanadiel_Missions

If you want just a listing of the key item rewards from RoV and the permanent bonuses they offer, use this link: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Rhapsody_Key_Item

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

You definitely want to stay up to date on Rhapsodies as you go.
The bonus' you get from it are amazing(exp, skill gain, key items to skip annoying/tedious poo poo), it unlocks more trust party slots (from 3 to 5 total), and in general the story will be better if you do it alongside the missions as intended.

Once you max out levels and story, there is plenty of "end game" that can be done solo with trusts. You really only need an LS/group for top tier content. And that's a very small amount of content these days.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

New content is pretty much non-existent so the goon LS really just consists of my bots for most of the week.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I pretty much only log on on tuesdays and saturdays for dynamis.

P.s. if anyone wants dynamis runs, a terrible event, let me know.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Posting live from 2005!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Posting live from 2005!

Dynamis divergence, like regular 2005 dynamis, but 300% more terrible.

It lacks the fun of d-tav and the cop zones, or the grand scale of dynamis lord.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

poo poo man this trial is nuts I've done so much with such a small amount of game time. Normally the trials are stupid restrictive but nowadays I'm digging it. I'm upset I can't get the RoV stuff until I buy but I figured I'd do as much as I can on this trial first before I dig in to the game for real.

It's absurd how fast you level now. Between all the sparks objectives just dumping EXP at you, and the chariot band being given to you early on, it takes like 3 hours to get to 30. Black mage was the fastest thing, too. If you get one of those books to put refresh on you, you'll level up before you run out of MP spamming the most powerful spell you have. And there's a bunch of stupid sparks objective things that do things like "heal 100 HP without recovery magic" to get 1500 EXP. Like, huh?

The worst part was unlocking DRK since I had WAR at lvl 1 and 0 greatsword skill, but I played DRK back in the day so I felt I needed to do that again. That and leveling up weapons generally. RNG missed about 70% of the time until about 25 which was awful.

Play this game goons, play the trial at least !

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frodnonnag posted:

I need clears for relic and empy unlocks, and some wave 1 monk clears because apparently i went through a complete lack of sobriety at the end of 2018 and decided to make a monk

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Picked this up again, beginning players let me know if you need help with any content/ have any questions. Ingame name is Aakor, be on the Asura server.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!

frodnonnag posted:

Can jump in with my bad COR or botted WHM! Take your pick! Bad shining one warrior too

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Dynamis divergence, like regular 2005 dynamis, but 300% more terrible.

It lacks the fun of d-tav and the cop zones, or the grand scale of dynamis lord.

Dynamis Lord was quite the experience. Chainspell Stun the bastard and pray you can kill him before he starts wiping out your alliances.

Also, one time I saw the Dynamis-Buburimu boss drop four 100-piece currency. I even won the lot on one of them, back when that was a very big deal!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I read a post on reddit about making the game look good. I made it run in 60 FPS and with a lower gamma which made the colors really vibrant or whatever and holy poo poo. Windower is incredible.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I resubbed and am enjoying the game a lot more now that I've hooked a controller up to it. Too bad that it doesn't play nice with Windower, I've found. Finally made it out of Ronfaure at least.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ibblebibble posted:

I resubbed and am enjoying the game a lot more now that I've hooked a controller up to it. Too bad that it doesn't play nice with Windower, I've found. Finally made it out of Ronfaure at least.

Change the keyboard to compact keyboard 1 and turn off hardware mouse to help with cursor flickering and such. If there are options to unhook the mouse or a /blockmouse equivalent command, use those, too.

I experienced some issues with my mouse cursor annoying me earlier today after I reinstalled the game following a re-format. I use Ashita instead of Windower, though.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
You can also set it in windower so the controller works all the time or only when the game is in focus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ah yes, just drag and drop 14 years of content into another game's engine. You know, like you do.

it really depends on whether FF14 and FF11 are running on similar tech, or if 14's engine is a whole new thing rather than an iterative upgrade

for a comparison, it's like the difference between an Unreal Engine 3 -> 4 engine swap (all the assets and the bulk of the code can be reused, it would basically just need gaps filled in and final touches) or a UE -> iD Tech/Unity engine swap (everything needs to be redone from scratch)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it really depends on whether FF14 and FF11 are running on similar tech, or if 14's engine is a whole new thing rather than an iterative upgrade

for a comparison, it's like the difference between an Unreal Engine 3 -> 4 engine swap (all the assets and the bulk of the code can be reused, it would basically just need gaps filled in and final touches) or a UE -> iD Tech/Unity engine swap (everything needs to be redone from scratch)

considering the sheer amount of 11 assets used/reused in 14, i've suspected for a long time that 14 was initially at some point a rebuild of 11.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I played the alpha/beta of FFXIV and a few weeks into its initial launch and it was definitely built off of the XI engine with updated graphics that somehow made the game look and feel worse than XI.

With the launch of 2.0 and "A Realm Reborn" the game seems to have been built from the ground up and is better for it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just... want a renderer that is supported by modern GPU drivers. No one implements DX8 in their driver software anymore. Have to use something like dgVoodoo 2 to transform most of the calls into a more recent version of Direct X instead of being performed in software and that isn't a great solution. Still can't get a rock solid 60 fps in this game despite a 1070 and 2700x.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

WarMECH posted:

I played the alpha/beta of FFXIV and a few weeks into its initial launch and it was definitely built off of the XI engine with updated graphics that somehow made the game look and feel worse than XI.

With the launch of 2.0 and "A Realm Reborn" the game seems to have been built from the ground up and is better for it.

ff14 used crystal tools and now uses luminous engine starting with 2.0

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

WarMECH posted:

The crabs are the exact same in both games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brass posted:

ARR borrowed a ton of models from older FF titles. Probably a good fifth of the enemy models are either straight rips or modified skeletons of FF12 enemies.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Brass posted:

So? 3D models are often made in the same programs with the same file formats and some can be somewhat trivial to replace. Look at all the model replacement mods people make where they rip a model out of one game and put it in another.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just dinged my first 30 (MNK) and oh boy that's a lot of jobs to unlock.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Kibner posted:

So? 3D models are often made in the same programs with the same file formats and some can be somewhat trivial to replace. Look at all the model replacement mods people make where they rip a model out of one game and put it in another.

It's just interesting to see familiar old models. I think they added them for nostalgia purposes, not just to save time alone.

Seeing those models reminds me of how badly I still want FFXI 2.0, or like a remastered version with HD graphics.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Brass posted:

It's just interesting to see familiar old models. I think they added them for nostalgia purposes, not just to save time alone.

Seeing those models reminds me of how badly I still want FFXI 2.0, or like a remastered version with HD graphics.
Good news, Nexon is making it for phones.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

And it will release the same day Star Citizen does.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Brass posted:

Going with this as well. Seeing as how they even named some of the same model fates as the old nm ff11 names.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Iroha event involved crab murder in Costa del Sol or something too

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Iroha event involved crab murder in Costa del Sol or something too

There is a FATE (open world group quest thing) in XIV that puts you against Bubbly Bernie. I had legit flashbacks. :v:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
And the Bubbly Bernie in XIV is huge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3dClVzApqI

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
When they added hunt marks to the game I think at least two people in the FC I'm in had some sort of heart failure upon finding Stinging Sophie in the Shroud. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leveling up DNC and I'm starting to see why people like macros considering all the menus I have to click through to get to my sambas and waltzes.