Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just really curious what causes the flash. I've never seen it on my P3 yet a friend has had the issue persist through two devices. It's good to be some really isolated combo of user settings or apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Being a cell phone blogger/journalist, which is probably one of the dullest jobs out there, after "paint drying supervisor", with no new halo phones coming out for six months, gotta hype about something to keep those clicks coming in

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What article?

Oh yeah, the Android Q beta fixed that issue for me on my Pixel 3 regular.

Here's the article, although I don't know why you'd want to read it: https://www.techspot.com/news/79417-google-deplorable-handling-pixel-3-screen-flash-issue.html

I guess it's sort of a valid complaint that Google has kept mum about it but it hardly seems like a problem worth getting this worked up about?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I woke up today to my Pixel 2 showing the bootloader with ERROR: LoadImageAndAuth Failed: Load Error displayed. Wouldn't boot up to android.

I did factory reset etc., but no dice, and now after trying to launch it into recovery mode again, it has just turned off and stopped responding altogether.

It's had a couple of odd restarts over the past couple of weeks so I guess this has been coming for a little while.

There's no external hardware damage to the thing. It's not an old phone.... looks like it's bricked, right?

fake edit: boy do I love how Google chat support says their opening hours are 9am to 5pm Saturdays, but it's now 9.30am and chat support is not open.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get all of Samsung's lovely bloatware off of my s6? Also chrome. I only want one loving browser

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a way to get all of Samsung's lovely bloatware off of my s6? Also chrome. I only want one loving browser

Ha, I'm in the same boat, and Samsung ALMOST has me setting up an account with them. I just got my S8 yesterday and after some bullshit with not realizing the SIM cards were different sizes (my provider gave me a nano with the new phone, and my old one was a micro... this has all been a learning experience), I feel like I'm 70% of the way towards having the S8 look, act, and feel like my G4.

That might seem counter intuitive to some people, but my only complaints with the G4 were the battery life, random reboots, and the ever-present threat of bootlooping. Otherwise, I loved that phone and want this one to be as close to it as possible.

I'm thinking I should just get Nova Launcher, go with that, so that next time I upgrade, it'll be about getting Nova to match my previous settings. Does that make more sense?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

El Grillo posted:

fake edit: boy do I love how Google chat support says their opening hours are 9am to 5pm Saturdays, but it's now 9.30am and chat support is not open.

You might want to try again in a few minutes. Google is a West-coast US company, and might have meant 9-5 PDT. Kind of dumb for them not to specify that if true, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, long live the Nova 'everything is an option' launcher. I have to admit, I had started to maybe regret my Galaxy S8 purchase, but not anymore.

poo poo, why wasn't I using this on my G4?! :psyduck:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, long live the Nova 'everything is an option' launcher. I have to admit, I had started to maybe regret my Galaxy S8 purchase, but not anymore.

poo poo, why wasn't I using this on my G4?! :psyduck:

I'd really, really recommend adding Sesame and Tesla unread to that list, with that and 20 minutes configuring Sesame, you can have gesture pull-down search system wide including settings so you never have to deal with any weird bullshit third party skinning stuff. It's made my experience with non-pixel devices infinitely better.

Also, if you haven't already: https://www.androidsage.com/2018/12/24/download-google-camera-6-1-for-samsung-galaxy-devices-with-night-sight/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress.

At first, I was thinking that I likely wouldn't want it, since I don't like using gestures, but just hitting the home button on the home page and then having literally everything ready to go... I'm officially removing every app from my home screen to see how it goes.

Revolutionary!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
If you're not using Nova you're living life wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If you're not using Nova you're living life wrong.

Totally agreed! I retroactively hate myself now!

Thanks, goons! :toot:

Edit: the worst part is that I used to use Nova, like 7-8 years ago, but it used to act all weird with my phone at the time. Now, though... What an improvement.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

nerdrum posted:

I'd really, really recommend adding Sesame and Tesla unread to that list, with that and 20 minutes configuring Sesame, you can have gesture pull-down search system wide including settings so you never have to deal with any weird bullshit third party skinning stuff. It's made my experience with non-pixel devices infinitely better.

Also, if you haven't already: https://www.androidsage.com/2018/12/24/download-google-camera-6-1-for-samsung-galaxy-devices-with-night-sight/

Hmmm... I downloaded the camera apk there to my Snapdragon Note9 (which got the OneUI update) but the app crashes immediately as soon as I click on it. Can't even get into settings to apply the fixes recommended in the post. I downloaded the stable build, not the beta.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nerdrum posted:

I may be misunderstanding you, but pull- down system wide search is already a thing on stock Galaxy phones.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

I may be misunderstanding you, but pull- down system wide search is already a thing on stock Galaxy phones.
And the looping home screen feature is standard on my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. No idea why they've removed it in later, snazzier models.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is there a reason to buy and load and customize Nova now that One UI exists? What's the sales pitch for it now that Samsung's isn't garbage?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Is there a reason to buy and load and customize Nova now that One UI exists? What's the sales pitch for it now that Samsung's isn't garbage?
Same reason I use it on a Pixel: make it work like I want it to, not how they want it to. I set up multiple tabs in the app drawer, and made the home screens loop around. Also removed the Google search from all but one screen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I add a row to the icons to clean up some of the wasted space, also remove the search bar, remove icon labels, hide apps in the app drawer, make folders in the app drawer, speed up animations, and probably a million other things I forget about.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Basically why a bunch of people like using Firefox instead of Chrome: it lets you configure the UI way more than the competition.

I technically own Nova, but I haven't bothered to use it since One UI does a lot of that stuff natively now, but I know that some people get really attached the certain features (I know I do) so the more options the better.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Qylvaran posted:

You might want to try again in a few minutes. Google is a West-coast US company, and might have meant 9-5 PDT. Kind of dumb for them not to specify that if true, though.
Na, the 'ring back' phone service had same operating hours and was available. Not sure what was going on. Ended up having to borrow a neighbour's phone.

Turns out the handset was still in warranty so they are replacing, thank gently caress. It was already a replacement unit which my insurers had provided in December - and I no longer have insurance due to being quite broke at the mo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Same reason I use it on a Pixel: make it work like I want it to, not how they want it to.

Yeah, this is my reasoning, right here.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my S8 got the Android Pie update and the UI changes really suck is there any way to roll it back ahh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

my S8 got the Android Pie update and the UI changes really suck is there any way to roll it back ahh

Are you talking about their new One UI or the launcher or what?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Night Sight on the Pixels is goddamn amazing.

The local zoo here has a Kingdom of the Night exhibit which is pretty much a HUGE loving cave with no light (except for red and blue lights to give people just enough light to see where they're going). I'm blind as poo poo in the dark so I used Night Sight the entire time to see where I was going.

It was basically night vision.

The pictures I took with it were awesome too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh, word?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I love my S8. LOOOOOOOOOOVE it. But I need a case. I'd like to get a custom one (put my own image on it), but that's not totally necessary. Any recommendations for where to get a good but cheap case?

Edit: I'm in :canada: just fyi

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 1, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Night Sight on the Pixels is goddamn amazing.

The local zoo here has a Kingdom of the Night exhibit which is pretty much a HUGE loving cave with no light (except for red and blue lights to give people just enough light to see where they're going). I'm blind as poo poo in the dark so I used Night Sight the entire time to see where I was going.

It was basically night vision.

The pictures I took with it were awesome too.

Oh man I've been waiting for proper zoo weather, how good did it light up the stuff in the swamp?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290313/google-pixel-2-xl-discontinued

Google is ending sale of the Pixel 2, so anyone thinking of snagging one any time soon may want to do so.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah, I just got One UI on my S9 and I really didn't take to it at first. But I had quite heavily customized the previous SAMSUNG EXPERIENCE with a theme and some other things, and now with One UI I can't use a theme if I want to use night mode system-wide (or even in samsung internet??!? (which I use because it's better for battery than chrome / FF)) it's just dumb as hell.

So I removed the theme but managed to get everything mostly how I want it to look with icon packs etc. (because stock samsung icons are just butt ugly bubbles of saturation) and after an hour of fiddling, got it set up just the way I like.

Other than that particular thing, and just getting used to the new status bar icons etc. Also got Good Lock so I can get task switcher back to a vertical list. One UI has been pleasantly surprising, and I'm already making good use of some of the new features (tap to turn on AoD, lift to wake, nav gestures etc.).

Really digging the new gestures as well instead of nav buttons. Totally used to it after a day, and appreciate the extra bit of bottom screen space when reading websites.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 1, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh man I've been waiting for proper zoo weather, how good did it light up the stuff in the swamp?

It actually did pretty well since there's lighting around.

With Night Sight (Pixel 2 XL)

Without Night Sight (still the Pixel 2 XL)

My favorite is the albino gator (with Night Sight, the phone hasn't changed)

The cave, however, is the best use of Night Sight. All of these are shot in Night Sight and were pretty much pitch black without it (still on the Pixel 2 XL, too poor for Pixel 3 :v:). Everyone else used the flash on their cameras even though you're not supposed to since it freaks the animals out.

The loving pit drop in this next pic should probably have something barricading people from falling in... it's creepy as poo poo.

Here's more zoo pics because I took about 200+ of them plus videos....might set up an album or something later.

The hyrax was hibernating, but it is apparently the best looking animal ever.

Finally, this fish apparently approves of my phone choice as it's in a clear case and obviously a white P2XL. It got RIGHT up close to the tank.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This makes me sad that the weather yesterday was just a *little* too crappy for the zoo like I had planned.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Anyone else with an S8+ get the One UI Android 9 update and full screen apps is broken for like everything? The UI itself seems cleaner, but losing full screen is annoying, since I'm so used to swiping up my Navigation bar to hit home and back, etc...

I also had a Theme, that doesn't work with night mode either. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually. Though night mode looks better than the dark theme I was using, but miss the icons from that theme.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My 5X was finally hit by the thing that kills 5Xs, so now I need a new phone for my craigslist number. I assume the best idea is to wait for the Mi A3? Is there anything else decent available at the entry level?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywunda posted:

Anyone else with an S8+ get the One UI Android 9 update and full screen apps is broken for like everything? The UI itself seems cleaner, but losing full screen is annoying, since I'm so used to swiping up my Navigation bar to hit home and back, etc...

I also had a Theme, that doesn't work with night mode either. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually. Though night mode looks better than the dark theme I was using, but miss the icons from that theme.

Try going into multi task view and tapping the app icon then hitting change aspect ratio. That's how it works in the same ui on an s10 so I'm guessing it's on the older phones too

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Try going into multi task view and tapping the app icon then hitting change aspect ratio. That's how it works in the same ui on an s10 so I'm guessing it's on the older phones too

No aspect ratio option. I get
- App info
- Open in split screen view
- Open in pop up view
- Lock app

Edit: Got it to work, but not the way I wanted. I can use gestures in full screen now, but the auto hide feature is gone now, it's just gesture once, instead of gesture to bring the navigation bar up, then hitting back or home or multi task view. Now it's just a single gesture for any of those. Will take some getting used to, but at least full screen is working.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 1, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Boywunda posted:

They removed the ability to easily hide the navigation bar per app. The only real solution is to bring down your notification shade and toggle the "Navigation Bar" option in the quick toggles. It switches your phone to and from gesture navigation mode, which removes the navigation bar.

It's one of the few bad things about the One UI update in my opinion.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Is google known for having lovely customer service? I have a pixel3 I'm trying to get fixed on the manufacturer's warranty and I just got escalated to some kind of conflict center for some reason. This is after they recommended I contact the retailer because it's covered under 2 warranties.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywunda posted:

. I can use gestures in full screen now, but the auto hide feature is gone now, it's just gesture once, instead of gesture to bring the navigation bar up, then hitting back or home or multi task view. Now it's just a single gesture for any of those. Will take some getting used to, but at least full screen is working.

See if this samsung app does anything for you, you might be able to map out the nav bar gesture to behave like you're used to. It's also kinda nice to have a swipe left to go back gesture when you're not near the back arrow in an app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.sidegesturepad

The nav bar stuff might be buried in the other app they put out, good lock...

I'm with you on it being jarring at first not having auto hide but once you can customize how the gestures work and the areas it's actually nice being in "full screen" all the time for reading and whatnot. It's a quicker transistion then you'd think..

Not having a notification LED, not so much

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 1, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wondering if you all had any recommendations on a battery pack and cable to rapid charge a PXL 3. I'm having a hard time determining which ones are and are not shady. The battery pack only needs to be good for maybe 2 charges at a minimum.

I'd also love to find one of those 3-5 Port table USBs that can rapid charge it as well in tandem with whatever cable if you all know of any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This will do two charges.

Anker PowerCore 10000 PD, 10000mAh Portable Charger USB-C Power Delivery (18W) Power Bank for iPhone 8/8+/X/XS/XR/XS Max, Pixel 3/3XL, iPad Pro 2018, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HBTY3Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Y6LOCbFRT0B47

It comes with a good cable.

That power bank has a 15v profile which makes it pretty versatile. It will even keep my i7 surface pro topped off while using a C-Surface Connector cable.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2019