Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Let's say I have amazing credit and want a ~$12k auto loan. What are some of my best options and how do I avoid getting F'd in the A™? I feel like there's a lot of misinformation out there about this subject so I thought I would ask goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Get a couple of quotes from your bank/local credit unions/PenFed to have in your back pocket. Allow the dealer to give you their best offer. If it's better than yours, take it. If not, use yours. Make sure that you couldn't get cash on the hood from the dealer instead of the low financing number.

Penfed can get as low as 2.5%/3.5%, but dealers can beat that sometimes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is a used car from a dealer I don't completely trust, so not sure about asking this dealer for financing. Anyway he told me he wouldn't go lower for a cash payment so I guess that won't make a difference. Didn't know about PenFed, will check that out, tyvm.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

/\/\ hi I am a recently made ex used car salesman, i have died for my coworkers sins

I have recently been let go from my job. I was planning on leaving in the next few months anyway, to Airbnb my house and move back in with my mum in another state so I can go to technical college for a year or so and pick up some skills.

Unfortunately getting laid off now means I am dead broke for the next few months. I have a motorbike and was wondering if it was worth getting an ABN and doing some courier work for a few months? I am in Melbourne, Australia for reference.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
If I got some medical care back in, say, November, and I'm getting the bill now, am I able to use my FSA which I started on January 1st of this year to pay for that, or am I only able to use it for services received since the FSA account was created?

I got a bill for some physical therapy, and paid it with my FSA card and they keep asking for more information. I've submitted copies of my statement and it contains all the info it appears they are asking for, and I'm just trying to figure out why.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife has 240k worth of student loans left at 5%. I just found out we can refinance to an even lower rate, either 3.91% fixed or 2.94% variable (monthly) for 5 years. Which option should we take? Should we take the variable option, put more money in a brokerage account, and use it as a "fed went crazy" fund? Difference is $7k.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Residency Evil posted:

My wife has 240k worth of student loans left at 5%. I just found out we can refinance to an even lower rate, either 3.91% fixed or 2.94% variable (monthly) for 5 years. Which option should we take? Should we take the variable option, put more money in a brokerage account, and use it as a "fed went crazy" fund? Difference is $7k.

Fixed rate trades risk for a premium; that is, you pay for the predictability of the rate. The lenders are better at calculating the risk that this turns out in your favor than you are, and will gladly overstate the risk of a massive rate hike.

If you have the budget discipline and means, go with flexible and have a buffer for the potential rainy day.

Unless there is something special about American rules and regulations that makes this the wrong answer.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 31, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potrzebie posted:

Fixed rate trades risk for a premium; that is, you pay for the predictability of the rate. The lenders are better at calculating the risk that this turns out in your favor than you are, and will gladly overstate the risk of a massive rate hike.

If you have the budget discipline and means, go with flexible and have a buffer for the potential rainy day.

Unless there is something special about American rules and regulations that makes this the wrong answer.

One important distinction for American student loans is that they are (effectively) non-dischargeable in bankruptcy whether they're private or public loans. A rate hike loving you over really fucks you over because there's very little downside for the lender. If you can't make your payment, they'll just garnish your wages until the end of time since you can't discharge the debt.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Does anyone have experience with a Portable Pension Account(PPA)? I have one with an old employer, I'm fully vested with a current balance of $31k. It just sits there, and I believe I can move it to a traditional IRA (and avoid all taxes for now) or into a Roth IRA (and pay income tax now). Assuming I'm reading the documentation correctly.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Any BFC-approved suggestions for a good (and cheap/free) way to keep an eye on my (USA) credit report? Ideally something that would notify me of any new hard inquiries or lines of credit.

I work overseas and realized this weekend that I'd never gotten my W-2 form for 2018. Asking around I found out none of my other American coworkers did either. I emailed our HR department and they were just like, "we mailed those out in January? You never got it??? :confused:"

The odds something bad happening are probably low, but I'm not real thrilled about the fact that a document with my SSN and salary is just floating around out there somewhere in the wild. So I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on things for a bit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Known Lecher posted:

Any BFC-approved suggestions for a good (and cheap/free) way to keep an eye on my (USA) credit report? Ideally something that would notify me of any new hard inquiries or lines of credit.

I work overseas and realized this weekend that I'd never gotten my W-2 form for 2018. Asking around I found out none of my other American coworkers did either. I emailed our HR department and they were just like, "we mailed those out in January? You never got it??? :confused:"

The odds something bad happening are probably low, but I'm not real thrilled about the fact that a document with my SSN and salary is just floating around out there somewhere in the wild. So I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on things for a bit.

Most credit cards offer something like that these days.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
credit karma is fine if you ignore all the other poo poo they try to sell you.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

I'd take the variable, considering your cash flow is sufficient to ride the vol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'd take the variable, considering your cash flow is sufficient to ride the vol.

Thanks. Ended up going with sofi for 2.6% variable. Even better.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Looking to set up a joint pair of checking/savings accounts with my fiancee. An online credit union, ideally - we have basically 0 need for physical checks - and one with the best interest rate on the liquid 5-15k we'd be keeping in that savings account.

What's the current goon-recommended CU?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Looking to set up a joint pair of checking/savings accounts with my fiancee. An online credit union, ideally - we have basically 0 need for physical checks - and one with the best interest rate on the liquid 5-15k we'd be keeping in that savings account.

What's the current goon-recommended CU?

Whichever one is closest to you.

The NCUA website has a finder: https://mapping.ncua.gov/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You could consider Ally as well. Although not a CU

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is there a medical thread similar to the law thread?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Lysandus posted:

Is there a medical thread similar to the law thread?

In what respect? There's a whole medical subforum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=183

There's an insurance thread somewhere in BFC if that's what you're asking about.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is there a thread for sales guys, or people who will forever deny being a sales guy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't know where else to ask, so here goes.
I'm in the US, in AZ. My neighbor nextdoor also happens to work in my same office (megacorporation, I never see him). Barely know the guy.

His elderly father is visiting from overseas, and I guess he had to take him into the hospital for something. He was treated and released, I guess. Neighbor tells me the hospital needs a signed piece of paper from someone who isn't him that his dad lives at that address. His dad speaks zero English, if that matters.

I want to help him out, but it sounds a little weird to me. Why would the hospital need me to verify his address?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Would you be able to call the hospital directly to find out more info?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Neighbor tells me the hospital needs a signed piece of paper from someone who isn't him that his dad lives at that address.
A random piece of white paper or a legit looking form the hospital has given the guy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

A random piece of white paper or a legit looking form the hospital has given the guy?

Random piece of white paper

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

is there a thread for sales guys, or people who will forever deny being a sales guy?

There was one but it's since been archived through inactivity, don't know if Simpsons Reference can un-archive idle threads?

Ask/Tell us about being in Sales! (We're a notch below "Child Molester")

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Random piece of white paper

don't sign poo poo

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I don't know where else to ask, so here goes.
I'm in the US, in AZ. My neighbor nextdoor also happens to work in my same office (megacorporation, I never see him). Barely know the guy.

His elderly father is visiting from overseas, and I guess he had to take him into the hospital for something. He was treated and released, I guess. Neighbor tells me the hospital needs a signed piece of paper from someone who isn't him that his dad lives at that address. His dad speaks zero English, if that matters.

I want to help him out, but it sounds a little weird to me. Why would the hospital need me to verify his address?

He's asking you to fraudulently attest to the hospital and perhaps government agencies that his father who doesn't live there, in fact lives there, why would you consider doing that

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

He's asking you to fraudulently attest to the hospital and perhaps government agencies that his father who doesn't live there, in fact lives there, why would you consider doing that

"Hi neighbor, please help me do the crimes!"

Do you live next door to the White House or something?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, that's what I figured. I couldn't come up with any genuine, not-skeevy reasons why he might ask.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I couldn't come up with any genuine, not-skeevy reasons why he might ask.
There are a few legit reasons but they will all require you to fill out a form, not just your signature. He wants to steal your identity.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Hi guys. I've never posted here before but this seems like it's the right place to ask. I skimmed the first couple of pages and couldn't find a specific thread for online scams, but if I missed it and my questions have already been answered there, I apologize.

My girlfriend was recommended to some online stream put on by Tony Robbins & Dean Graziosi. I didn't watch the stream because I was working but the email she sent me about it is filled with lots of bullshit-sounding flowery language, for example:

quote:

It's time you learn how to make a massive impact by profiting from what you (or even what someone else) already knows! In less than 15 minutes this will be abundantly clear to you!! Look, if you want to live a life with meaning, significance and next level abundance then sometimes we need next level capabilities and I’m confident that’s exactly what we are going to deliver.

She then sent me a link to their website https://dgachieve.com/ that's selling some program for $2000. I tried telling her it really sounds like a scam, and then I tried to google these guys and some pages saying they're a scam but nothing that seems well researched and unbiased. Her argument is that it isn't a scam because they "coach insanely famous people and even presidents", which sounds even more fishy to me. She didn't really explain to me what it is they were proposing to sell her for $2000. It seems like a really really obvious scam to me. Am I just being too skeptical? Do any of you have experience with these guys or their programs? Are they legit?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enahs posted:

Hi guys. I've never posted here before but this seems like it's the right place to ask. I skimmed the first couple of pages and couldn't find a specific thread for online scams, but if I missed it and my questions have already been answered there, I apologize.

My girlfriend was recommended to some online stream put on by Tony Robbins & Dean Graziosi. I didn't watch the stream because I was working but the email she sent me about it is filled with lots of bullshit-sounding flowery language, for example:

She then sent me a link to their website https://dgachieve.com/ that's selling some program for $2000. I tried telling her it really sounds like a scam, and then I tried to google these guys and some pages saying they're a scam but nothing that seems well researched and unbiased. Her argument is that it isn't a scam because they "coach insanely famous people and even presidents", which sounds even more fishy to me. She didn't really explain to me what it is they were proposing to sell her for $2000. It seems like a really really obvious scam to me. Am I just being too skeptical? Do any of you have experience with these guys or their programs? Are they legit?

It is without a doubt a scam. 100% a scam. Do not give them one cent. If she gives them one or more cents just post the update in the bad with money thread because falling for scams is bad with money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yup, scam. If she does it you with probably have to break up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Imagine spending the rest of your life trying to keep her from giving money to things like this.

:sever:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Spoiler alert, the $355m is moving in the direction of the three people named in the title

fake edit: jfc

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:redflag: danger will robinson :redflag:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine spending the rest of your life trying to keep her from giving money to things like this.

:sever:

lol it's like marrying an aging boomer

"THIS IS A LEGIT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY IN SIERRA LEONE!"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FAUXTON posted:

lol it's like marrying an aging boomer

"THIS IS A LEGIT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY IN SIERRA LEONE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0-VPZDEcEw

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

enahs posted:

First:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765300

Thread all about scams.

Second, the best way of explaining it to her is that there are no "hidden" industries that legitimately make money. If it's hidden, it's because it's of questionable legality, or it's not real. If it were real, you can bet your rear end that it's going to get exploited for profit as much as possible, and the only way to make good money at it is to bust your rear end (like everything else).

If it's not MLM, it's just a scam job where they charge you $2k to give you a presentation about something that either won't make you any money unless you work 80 hours/week, and at that point you MIGHT break even with a normal day job. Or it might actually be a MLM presentation... and of course once you pay $2k for it, you've assigned value to it so now you'd be stupid NOT to join up or else you just wasted that $2k!

There are no easy answers in life. People don't toil away in their day jobs because they're missing some super-secret easy-street nugget of information that will set them for life, they do it because it's the only way to really make money. People become multi-millionaires by being in the right place at the right time and by having skills/knowledge that nobody else has, or they just flat out work their rear end off.

Bottom line is if it were easy, everyone would do it. And if everyone did it, its value would quickly diminish to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Thanks everyone for the help. If I can’t talk her out of it, I’ll post an update in the bad with money thread or e/n lol.