Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CJacobs posted:

Yes, yes he is (his name is Owen Hamze)

edit: The characters and their face models for comparison:

Karlo Baker, Nero
Adam Cowie, Dante
Owen Hamze, V
Emily Bador, Nico
Ariana Damant, Trish
Andrea Tivadar, Lady

No idea who Vergil's face model is unfortunately.

All them high cheekbones on sexy people :h:

Maxim Nazazrov

dat chin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Baal posted:

If you think Dante is a loser get the hell out of this thread, he's the coolest

agreed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You know now that you mention it i cant really see a cowboy hat being the strongest weapon in the game being anything more than a direct gently caress you to Tameem Antoniades

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DmC should only be remembered as an embarrassing attempt by a Japanese company to market to American youth by outsourcing development to a British game studio.

It is the “how do you do fellow children” joke in video game form.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
The amount enemies in some waves in some Bloody Palace stages make me optimistic about an eventual Legendary Dark Knight mode DLC.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yes, yes he is (his name is Owen Hamze)

edit: The characters and their face models for comparison:

Karlo Baker, Nero
Adam Cowie, Dante
Owen Hamze, V
Emily Bador, Nico
Ariana Damant, Trish
Andrea Tivadar, Lady

No idea who Vergil's face model is unfortunately.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video game go “hey the face models for this game are too attractive nobody will believe they’re real people” before this

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Do people do stupid masochistic challenge runs for these games? Let's see a Dante No Weapon Bloody Palace run.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aegof posted:

Do people do stupid masochistic challenge runs for these games? Let's see a Dante No Weapon Bloody Palace run.

There's probably already someone grinding it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After I watched someone beat every boss in Bloodborne without dodging I realized that there is a gaming Event Horizon where people are out their literally torturing themselves to beat video games with such ludicrous handicaps that it just starts to lose meaning.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Can't wait for the first V-No Summons-Cane Parry Only Run.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video game go “hey the face models for this game are too attractive nobody will believe they’re real people” before this

lol I thought the same thing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

After I watched someone beat every boss in Bloodborne without dodging I realized that there is a gaming Event Horizon where people are out their literally torturing themselves to beat video games with such ludicrous handicaps that it just starts to lose meaning.

True, there's always a new challenge. I mean, I decided to do a Buster Duel of Vergil not that long ago.

It's hilariously unfun but still the best 3d megaman game.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
God I'm so loving bad at this game. I remember being able to totally crush vergil on DMD in 3 and I cant even beat him on son of sparda without using a continue in this one. I'm blaming it on getting old now. Yep that's my excuse.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PC Gamer did a fluff article about the best month for this genre, which i'm not really interested in. (https://www.pcgamer.com/march-was-an-unprecedented-month-for-japanese-action-games/)

The kinda cool thing is that they laid out on a graph every game ever made that could qualify and its interesting how it's evolved in a short time. Also it really shows how niche it is with how few games there are. Yes I know some of these don't really count but hey they tried.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hoffadoff posted:

God I'm so loving bad at this game. I remember being able to totally crush vergil on DMD in 3 and I cant even beat him on son of sparda without using a continue in this one. I'm blaming it on getting old now. Yep that's my excuse.

I mean unless you just replayed it that was a decent amount of time ago. Your skill going down is a little understandable

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw does this game have DT distortion? Haven’t really seen it mentioned anywhere one way or the other

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game does not have distortion. They made a conscious effort to remove the DMC4 tech like that and inertia.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really appreciate the game pausing the timer during V's longer execution animations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Captain Baal posted:

The game does not have distortion. They made a conscious effort to remove the DMC4 tech like that and inertia.

I was quite upset to find out that Distortion Real Impacts we're no longer possible and I actually had to put some effort into Dante's bosses.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk, I'd debate how much more effort you need to put. You can still Ri like four times in a row in DT and that's like 60% of the boss' health.

Playing through all of BP made me realize that Dante does just... not care. He does not give a gently caress about any boss fight in this game except the final one and even that he can trivialize if you know what you're doing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Playing through Bloody Palace as Dante in this game is just the purest form of joy.

Captain Baal posted:

eh, that's fine. Real Impact is strong enough as-is

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I beat BP with Nero now too. The fun part of getting Dante's version of the final boss means you get a lot of time to work on him as the other characters too. All I have left is V's run of BP now and that's uh certainly gonna be interesting.

Also this might be a PS4 only problem, but does anyone else have an issue where their inputs will just drop out and not register sometimes? I've only had this happen with this game and idk why it does.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I was pretty pleased I could get up to Lightning Sword Man as V, but even just that first Fury fucks my Nero and Dantes up. I know there's tricks to murder them instantly as they spawn, but heck if I'll ever remember what's up next in time.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Level 90 with V is something else. There's either some tech to the fight that will make it less of a slog or you just have to settle on a 15 minute fight. The only time I was doing appreciable damage was when Nightmare was out because Shadow and Griffon die to any single attack. My only advice is to spend the lightning phase reading your book.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Subhuman has actually grown on me quite a bit. The redub certainly helped.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Augus posted:

Subhuman has actually grown on me quite a bit. The redub certainly helped.

Wish I could give Subhuman a second chance, but considering I have access to Taste the Blood, Devils Never Cry, and Lock and Load, why bother?

Now Crimson Cloud, that's a song I eventually grew to like. I didn't think it was bad but it definitely wasn't my genre of choice, but now I'll totally go SAVIOR, BLOODSTAIN, HELLFIRE, SHADOW once poo poo's popping off

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I enjoy the menu/gallery music the most. So relaxing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, Nero's lack of a "gently caress This Noise" button really sticks out in Bloody Palace. V has Nightmare, which gives you a huge reprieve and basically takes aggro off you for as long as it's out, and Dante has SDT for the immediate cancelation of any wave that makes you go "nah, mate." But Nero doesn't really have anything. The closest he's got is Ragtime, and that's both hard limited by the mode and heavily dependent on player execution to maximize its effectiveness.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nero’s Devil Trigger is loving insane dude, maybe play around with it a little?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Beat this on DH last night, the only real thing I have to add is that "pull my devil trigger" is probably the most sexual line I've ever heard in a song. I actually think the "Bang Bang Bang!" that precedes makes it less sexual, oddly enough.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The time has come and so have i

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spergatory posted:

Man, Nero's lack of a "gently caress This Noise" button really sticks out in Bloody Palace. V has Nightmare, which gives you a huge reprieve and basically takes aggro off you for as long as it's out, and Dante has SDT for the immediate cancelation of any wave that makes you go "nah, mate." But Nero doesn't really have anything. The closest he's got is Ragtime, and that's both hard limited by the mode and heavily dependent on player execution to maximize its effectiveness.

Blowing up his hand is his get the gently caress away from me button though. Haven't played bloody palace, does it not let you pop your hands?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
DMD done. That's my GOTY right there, for all my bitching about camera/lock-on issues, Nero vs. Furies, V in higher difficulties, and the super-hosed scoring in Mission 8 (somewhat), 10, 12, and 18.

I'm glad to have been here to see this series return in glory.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Nero’s Devil Trigger is loving insane dude, maybe play around with it a little?

It's good, but it's not "the room is now over" good. It's heavily execution dependent. You can be knocked out of Showdown, and Maximum Bet just doesn't seem to do that much damage unless you fully charge it, which takes a good while. It powers you up to be sure, but you're still going to have to hack those six Hell Antenoras and two Judeccas to death with your own two (four?) hands.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

PC Gamer did a fluff article about the best month for this genre, which i'm not really interested in. (https://www.pcgamer.com/march-was-an-unprecedented-month-for-japanese-action-games/)

The kinda cool thing is that they laid out on a graph every game ever made that could qualify and its interesting how it's evolved in a short time. Also it really shows how niche it is with how few games there are. Yes I know some of these don't really count but hey they tried.

they omit Castlevania: Lament of Innocence which was influenced by DMC1 and had an undeniable influence on God of War? bad chart

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No Rygar either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It could be said that nearly all Character Action Games have tried and mostly failed to reach the soaring heights of MK Shaolin Monks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No Onimusha: Warlords despite being built on the same engine (and premise) as Devil May Cry, released by basically the same team, at the same time.

I'm glad they did this chart but there are some glaring omissions.

EDIT: gently caress LOL Ok, Nioh making the list but Onimusha: Warlords not has to be a clear clerical oversight.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
How to improve V:

Replace those horrid sandals with cool oxfords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
no