Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

So like a month ago when they announced no modern legal cards would be included?

won't your face be red when they print snow-covered scalding tarns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

The March Hare posted:

Working on it brother.

https://imgur.com/a/Dm1Bc0t

Wastelands not pictured but they exist, everything else is in the mail. Need to upgrade some stuff but gonna take it slow before I blow even more $ on poo poo I'll never play with IRL.

:monocle: hoooly crap. Are you buying the foil promo wastelands?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kalvanoo posted:

:monocle: hoooly crap. Are you buying the foil promo wastelands?

Eventually yeah, provided I actually find people to play with IRL. For now I just have the Korean wastelands I play with in legacy that I can swap over.

The only thing I'll be holding off on for sure are the absorbs bc they're high right now because of standard I think.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That just reminded me of the sketchy way my Friday at the GP ended with Legacy. My Grixis opponent had been naming Mirran Crusader every time, since it's unbeatable if I stick it and stick Sword of Fire and Ice on him. Game 3 I have to mulligan, I'm all in on turn 1 Mom, turn 2 Stoneforge with my Cavern making it uncounterable.....he turn 1 casts Therapy in the dark, pauses a minute, then names Stoneforge for the first time in the entire match.

One of his buddies on his team (they were wearing terrible uniforms) happened to be standing right behind me.

But it's at FNM level in a side event like that, so basically anything goes and I can't prove anything happened. I would have thought nothing of it, but earlier in the match he had resolved a Brainstorm, put down his hand, drew 3 cards, said "I don't like these", then proceeded to mash all 3 into the center of his deck despite me trying to stop him to ask wtf he thought he was doing. Called a judge because I have no loving clue how you fix that poo poo at that REL (at competitive or higher that's probably an instant game loss for any number of reasons). He claimed he thought it was Preordain after looking at the 3 cards....but Preordain doesn't let you shuffle poo poo back in either?

The whole thing just felt really weird. Sadly, at that REL the "fix" is that he just shuffles his deck and gets to re-do his brainstorm. Draw a fresh 3 and put 2 back. Feels so bad when he clearly whiffed on his initial Brainstorm, and then with the Cabal Therapy thing later, the whole round just felt really scummy.

Sounds sketchy. With that said:

- If you mulliganed, there's a good chance you're on 1-2 lands and can't cast the Crusader right away even if it's in your hand, he has plenty of time to flash it back, so naming Stoneforge is a better play on T1
- "I played a Brainstorm and thought it was a Ponder" is a fairly common mistake in Legacy, and Ponder does shuffle, so even if he was cheating there I'd assume he meant to say Ponder
- The teammate standing behind you and not behind him is still sketchy though
- "What would happen at comp REL" is a good question, back in the day it would be a game loss, but they've been moving away from that in recent years so I wonder if they've come up with a solution for that

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

his opponent was me, and I was using that gold eye from Yugioh to see his cards

i mistook brainstorm for ponder because even after 20 years of playing this game I'm still really bad

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Flipping through Death's Shadow lists with a buddy, he mentioned something I hadn't thought of: Are there any lists running around trying to replace gurmag angler with pteramander? My inclination is that it's not good, unless maybe you completely rebuild the deck around it, The more I think about it, the more I'm not keen on it because it's vulnerable to more removal, usually takes more mana, and doesn't benefit from fetches and street wraith. On the other hand, it flies and is better against bounce/phoenixes, but I'm not certain a slower and more evasive strategy is what the deck wants.

Also, I really want to put postmortem lunge in grixis shadow, even if it's wrong.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It has happened in legacy with the rise of UR delver of stuff like Grixis. The key difference there I think is that in modern you don't get to run good cantrips, and so it's a lot harder to "turn on" pteramander since the stuff in your graveyard must be specifically instants and sorceries, whereas gurmag just gobbles up whatever junk thought scour put in your graveyard.

also, having played it in legacy a bit, I would not want to run that in a format with fatal push and no (good) free counters because you're right - it is WAY easier to kill.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

double post: the parfait defender has logged on https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1740656#paper

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

double post: the parfait defender has logged on https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1740656#paper

I can't decide if I'm the 3 Path to Exile, 0 Swords in a deck that doesn't remotely care about life, the lack of a Moat in a Humility, enchantment prison deck, or the $900 set of Mox Diamonds above the $200 set of Scroll Racks but below the FOUR DAZES IN THE TEN PLAINS DECK?!

So I guess I'm the Trade Routes demolishing Dirk Baberowski.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I’m painfully hung over. Time to play a modern mythic champion qualifier in Calgary I guess

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I’m painfully hung over. Time to play a modern mythic champion qualifier in Calgary I guess

Stay safe hangover ghost :ghost:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Spirits or something spicy?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I can't decide if I'm the 3 Path to Exile, 0 Swords in a deck that doesn't remotely care about life, the lack of a Moat in a Humility, enchantment prison deck, or the $900 set of Mox Diamonds above the $200 set of Scroll Racks but below the FOUR DAZES IN THE TEN PLAINS DECK?!

So I guess I'm the Trade Routes demolishing Dirk Baberowski.

i guess the joke with the paths is to make it easier to have land tax turned on but uh

yeah lol to the rest of it

fake edit: i'm the goblin charbelcher

real edit: actually i'm the 3 counterbalance in the scroll rack deck that is stacking the top of the deck with lands picked up from land tax

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 29, 2019

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

bro ive been jamming this on mtgo lately its REAL BAD but good clean living and fun as gently caress

not good, but good fun

my kind of magic

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Spirits or something spicy?

*vomits a geist if st Traft onto my R1 opponent*

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dear 3 people who play Vintage: Are people going to be correct to play this card in Vintage

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

no

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Extremely no.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Elyv posted:

dear 3 people who play Vintage: Are people going to be correct to play this card in Vintage

No, but I'm looking forward to jamming this in Canadian Highlander

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is the ability to do something like T2 Karn off of two Ancient Tombs, grab Mycosinth Lattice, T3 play City of Traitors, play Mycosinth Lattice, opponent concedes because they can't do anything as broken as it looks in Legacy/Vint?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It requires six mana and is disrupted by both Force of Will and Lightning Bolt. I don't see it making waves in Legacy.

Karn looks like Tezzeret-but-better in Vintage though, and if he does see play then there's an argument for devoting a sideboard slot to the lock.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is the ability to do something like T2 Karn off of two Ancient Tombs, grab Mycosinth Lattice, T3 play City of Traitors, play Mycosinth Lattice, opponent concedes because they can't do anything as broken as it looks in Legacy/Vint?

If you're going to live in magical Christmasland why would you wait to win until turn 3?

Karn will probably see a little play in vintage. It seems like an absolutely insane card. One-sided Null Rod plus an ability that kills Moxes is really good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

you can just play yawgmoth's bargain which has essentially the same effect only you don't fizzle out when you see a land on top of your deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

you can just play yawgmoth's bargain which has essentially the same effect only you don't fizzle out when you see a land on top of your deck

Will fully admit that Citadel is almost certainly not good enough but I would like to point out that you can't tinker for barg

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Will fully admit that Citadel is almost certainly not good enough but I would like to point out that you can't tinker for barg

Who plays tinker in vintage anymore?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Karn, the Great Creator (4) (Rare)

Activated abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated

+1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal its converted mana cost

-2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand

(5)

Vintage is loving dead

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Karn, the Great Creator (4) (Rare)

Activated abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated

+1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal its converted mana costest

-2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand

(5)

Vintage is loving dead

I think a lot of formats are liable to have to be able to deal with that card, honestly.

The Splinter Twin combo with it gives no card disadvantage and one piece literally tutors for the other. It's a gonzo card.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also the +1 kills chalice, welding jar, and opal if you really want it to, not that they could use it while he's out. I think he's going to show up in every eternal format.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think a lot of formats are liable to have to be able to deal with that card, honestly.

The Splinter Twin combo with it gives no card disadvantage and one piece literally tutors for the other. It's a gonzo card.

The good thing is that it doesn't just cleanly fit into any already tier 1 deck (I don't think this is fantastic in Whir although I guess it might be good in Tron). The bad thing is that it could very easily push the Tezzerator variants into being really, incredibly dumb.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

The good thing is that it doesn't just cleanly fit into any already tier 1 deck (I don't think this is fantastic in Whir although I guess it might be good in Tron). The bad thing is that it could very easily push the Tezzerator variants into being really, incredibly dumb.

I could see it replacing Ulamog in tron. They both more-or-less win the game on ten mana but this is more flexible in other situations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I’m dumb, what’s the card that karn combos off with?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’m dumb, what’s the card that karn combos off with?

Mycosinth Lattice.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

uninverted posted:

I could see it replacing Ulamog in tron. They both more-or-less win the game on ten mana but this is more flexible in other situations.

I can't imagine Tron sans Ulamog.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ShaneB posted:

I can't imagine Tron sans Ulamog.

I'm halfway through the latest podcast. Good stuff!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

I'm halfway through the latest podcast. Good stuff!

Yeah this is probably my favorite episode so far.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ShaneB posted:

Yeah this is probably my favorite episode so far.

The interview with Ross Merriam was really good. I'll stop slobbering on the podcast before I get called out for it in the thread.

BW token has been a lot better than GW so far on cockatrice, got the pieces coming in the mail. Thanks for the advice thread folks.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Am I wrong in thinking that Jace might replace labman in vintage doomsday?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Moatman posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Jace might replace labman in vintage doomsday?

Triple black into triple blue in vintage? Sure. Why not?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AlternateNu posted:

Triple black into triple blue in vintage? Sure. Why not?

I mean, it isn't exactly uncommon to use Lotus to cast both DD and Maniac as it stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that extra mana hurts, right? most of my doomsday piles have exactly what they need