Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nevermind Tesco, you tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of niche japanese spoon tricks did y'all see Gozu?

No? Good.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

We've invented anti-depression socks but you can only wear them with sandals.

Anti depression pants, available in "sweat" style only

Anti depression ice cream but you have to eat the whole pint in one sitting

Anti depression bed, must be slept in for four hours at noon to function

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Karate Bastard posted:

Speaking of niche japanese spoon tricks did y'all see Gozu?

No? Good.

What's wrong with Gozu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKsvc1aW4U

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tree Bucket posted:

Someone please tell me what is going on here. I am afraid to google "Japanese spoon trick."

Pretty sure it's like green screen with it being set to whatever the paint colour is.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Everything except that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

oystertoadfish posted:

might have something to do with trans cranial magnetic stimulation or some similar 'punch you in very specific parts of your brain with magnets until you feel better' treatment but I've never seen those look that doofy

Yeah. https://www.azfamily.com/video/helm...77922cab34.html

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

the terror was extremely good

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

oystertoadfish posted:

might have something to do with trans cranial magnetic stimulation or some similar 'punch you in very specific parts of your brain with magnets until you feel better' treatment but I've never seen those look that doofy

one hopes they don't have their patients walking around high school or whatever in the happy helmet, taking magnetic brain punches while people are kicking them down the stairs

I have a tiny bit of experience with this. There’s a place in the brain you can either activate/repress with either a deep brain stimulator electrode (needs surgery, is hard to get perfect but extremely potent) and more recently the transcranial magnetic stimulation (targets the same spot and does the same thing as an electrode, but weaker effect from a distance, no surgery tho!). I did a research project with a neurosurgeon who’d put the deep brain stimulators in and it would so loving weirdly, immediately, remove the patient’s depression. They’d be awake during the surgery and they could feel almost an immediate loss of that terrible weight on them. It’s hard to put into words just how intense of a change it would be. Depression is really a neurochemical imbalance in certain areas of the brain, and localized “defibrillation” of those areas can reset it and erase the imbalance.

All in all I think some weird looking but more mass produced TCMS setup could make this much more accessible to people. Cities across America will some day have transcranial clinics, like dialysis clinics. Go in once a week for a checkup from the neck up!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Beachcomber posted:

An old favorite.

I just now noticed the peach and ether glazed Marlboro Light.

That poo poo will gently caress you up.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

zoux posted:

Does being made endless fun of contribute to depression

The helmet design works because it comes equipped with a support strap under the jaw.

To keep the chin up, of course.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

zoux posted:

Does being made endless fun of contribute to depression

Hello, boys and girls
This is your old pal Stinky Wizzleteats

The Fuzzy Hulk has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Apr 1, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have a tiny bit of experience with this. There’s a place in the brain you can either activate/repress with either a deep brain stimulator electrode (needs surgery, is hard to get perfect but extremely potent) and more recently the transcranial magnetic stimulation (targets the same spot and does the same thing as an electrode, but weaker effect from a distance, no surgery tho!). I did a research project with a neurosurgeon who’d put the deep brain stimulators in and it would so loving weirdly, immediately, remove the patient’s depression. They’d be awake during the surgery and they could feel almost an immediate loss of that terrible weight on them. It’s hard to put into words just how intense of a change it would be. Depression is really a neurochemical imbalance in certain areas of the brain, and localized “defibrillation” of those areas can reset it and erase the imbalance.

All in all I think some weird looking but more mass produced TCMS setup could make this much more accessible to people. Cities across America will some day have transcranial clinics, like dialysis clinics. Go in once a week for a checkup from the neck up!

Yeah but what happens when your brain gets addicted to those little jolts and over corrects in the bad direction to get more of those jolts and then you black out a few times and wake up having killed a bunch of people just so your brain could get its fix?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hello, boys and girls

I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hello, boys and girls

Dammit. I was trying to get the dance gif, but phone posting, so...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah but what happens when your brain gets addicted to those little jolts and over corrects in the bad direction to get more of those jolts and then you black out a few times and wake up having killed a bunch of people just so your brain could get its fix?

Sounds like you've got a good story there.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oystertoadfish has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Apr 2, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

The Aristocrats!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GPTribefan posted:

The helmet design works because it comes equipped with a support strap under the jaw.

To keep the chin up, of course.

I'm not gonna let this float past without recognition

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Pookah posted:

Nevermind Tesco, you tried.

Firstly, I'm missing the joke. Secondly, why the heck do these Nice biscuits have coconut in them ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lady Disdain posted:

Firstly, I'm missing the joke. Secondly, why the heck do these Nice biscuits have coconut in them ?

They're slightly too cheap.

Why wouldn't they have coconut?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sassassin posted:

They're slightly too cheap.

Why wouldn't they have coconut?

In Australia, they don't :shrug:

e: Oh, right. Is this a Vote Leave promise ?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Rimonabant was an anti-obesity drug that entered stage III trials a few years ago. It worked by inhibiting the brain’s endogenous cannibas receptors. The thought being, of weed gives you the munchies, turning that system completely off should also delete your appetite.

It worked really well. People lost a ton of weight. But something like 1% of the the people became extremely suicidal. The brain is a vast and mysterious landscape and it will be a while before we can change our stride from poking it blindly like a hungry hermit with a stick, to actually intelligently manipulating it for our benefit.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Inspector 34 posted:

Wasn’t this a Larry Niven story?

e: Yeah, “The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton”

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was thinking of Crichton's Terminal Man actually.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hello, boys and girls

Holy crap, my entire life I've thought it was Stinky Wizzleteaks.

Thanks, I guess?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Blind Rasputin posted:

People lost a ton of weight. But something like 1% of the the people became extremely suicidal.

Not gonna lie; I'd take those odds.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

:dudsmile:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hello, boys and girls

I told you I'd shoot! But you didn't believe me! Why didn't you believe me?!

https://i.imgur.com/DEUkKCS.mp4

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This made me laugh, so maybe it works?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hello, boys and girls

It's Weaselteats goddammit

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

No it isn't?

Since we're on the topic, can I get some clarification here: Is Ren & Stimpy cancelled because John K is a sexpest? In retrospect it was pretty obvious, but it was such a good show.

Fill your uncle's boots with coleslaw!!!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just found out that my psychiatrist offers this and that it is 100% covered by my insurance. Not sure what it would do to the anxiety and PTSD but if it gets rid of the sad brains, well I'm considering it.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Needs more skull (assuming you have the layers still)!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Nope. Wizzle. Kricfalusi said it was inspired by the phrase "wizened teats" from the episode Littlest Giant.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ol qwerty bastard posted:

:same:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ol qwerty bastard posted:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm beginning to understand how Frasier was tricked into reading a Klingon speech at his sons Bar Mitzvah.