Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Ian Blackford on Newsnight blaming the whole thing on Labour because 14 Labour MPs abstained on a People's Vote.

Labour whipped for all three possible compromise solutions and managed to control the vast majority of their 260-odd MPs, and they still get the loving blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Still better than Brexit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

Ian Blackford on Newsnight blaming the whole thing on Labour because 14 Labour MPs abstained on a People's Vote.

Labour whipped for all three possible compromise solutions and managed to control the vast majority of their 260-odd MPs, and they still get the loving blame.

Well obviously have you heard Corbyn Bad

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dog Friday posted:

Not voting for single market seems retarded

Dude, I know that this whole Brexit thing is really stressful and lovely but that word's not cool, please don't use it

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

sudo rm -rf posted:

i mean, the us senate is literally structured in a way that makes passing legislation with a simple majority nearly impossible.

like at least the uk's undemocratic upper chamber is largely stripped of real power.

Oh, for sure we have a worse system overall, that's not in dispute, sorry if I made it seem lIke I thought otherwise.

What I meant is more, that even though things are disastrous here, it doesn't have that same sense of flailing about these constant "no" votes are giving me.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lads I'm starting to get a bit worried

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Coohoolin posted:

Im going to do some proper calorie calculations about my stash and figure out what I need on top.

Get on my level son!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’m the sex people

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I’m the sex people

Which one, the mum or the son?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
me irl: singing "we're hosed" to the tune of The Itchy and Scratchy Show

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

why are hoey and stringer the only ones that dont exist in the king of fighters 2000 character select screen

The Government Parliamentary Digital Service did a project at the start of the 2017 parliament to get a similar photo of every MP right after their swearing in to have a copyright free and standardised portrait to use for Wikipedia etc. Hoey and Stringer were evidently one of the few useless MPs who missed their sitting

https://pds.blog.parliament.uk/2017/07/21/mp-official-portraits-open-source-images/

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

namesake posted:

Im going to do some proper calorie calculations about my stash and figure out what I need on top.

Get on my level son!

I guess if I get exiled to Switzerland at least the food will be good

But gently caress sakes, I've been studiously avoiding getting worked up about anything or actively worrying about my future just to preserve my mental health, and today I started to actually care, and now ehhhh

What happens next, can someone reassure me?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Coohoolin posted:

But gently caress sakes, I've been studiously avoiding getting worked up about anything or actively worrying about my future just to preserve my mental health, and today I started to actually care, and now ehhhh

:brexit:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Coohoolin posted:

I'm still pretty confident no deal won't happen but I'm slightly less confident than I was this morning.

Be interesting to see what they decide to do on Wednesday.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Doccykins posted:

The Government Parliamentary Digital Service did a project at the start of the 2017 parliament to get a similar photo of every MP right after their swearing in to have a copyright free and standardised portrait to use for Wikipedia etc. Hoey and Stringer were evidently one of the few useless MPs who missed their sitting

https://pds.blog.parliament.uk/2017/07/21/mp-official-portraits-open-source-images/

Don't they have softboxes in the studio? These portraits look so oily.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1112839501922140163

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

almost everyone's still posturing and now may is going to find some way to bring her stupid deal back one more time and hopefully it'll be knocked stone dead again and then you can leave the eu with no deal??? i don't know it's all hosed

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Honestly beginning to think May will call an 11th hour GE if her deal is rejected again, it's literally the only option left bar no deal.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Coohoolin posted:

I can't believe it's me trying to assure you and frankly I'm not sure I even believe this myself, but I think the reason I'm not too worked up about this is it's just another in a series of pummellings parliament is going to have to take to get its poo poo together. It was inevitable this would happen repeatedly is what I'm saying

But it's also very very possible we'll just trip over No-Deal in eleven short days

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Coohoolin posted:

As a resident of the glorious helvetic confederation, the quality of your ingredients is excellent, but your food is poo poo. Fondue, raclette and spazli get exceptionally boring after the second try, and my god you need to improve your immigration policy if only so that Switzerland can experience what an actual curry tastes like because restaurants here are clearly working from hearsay alone

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly beginning to think May will call an 11th hour GE if her deal is rejected again, it's literally the only option left bar no deal.

Narrators voice: She went with No Deal

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For the sake of my own mental health, the only thing I'm allowing myself to worry about re: Brexit is that a friend of mine is sending their Nintendo Switch to me from the US later this week and it might fall victim to customs if we fully enter hellworld.

If I can play Breath of the Wild I can face doom.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

Stupidest timeline is May attempting to call a GE and failing.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

For the sake of my own mental health, the only thing I'm allowing myself to worry about re: Brexit is that a friend of mine is sending their Nintendo Switch to me from the US later this week and it might fall victim to customs if we fully enter hellworld.

If I can play Breath of the Wild I can face doom.

If it's from the US it should attract customs charges (and potential associated delays) either way? It's not like the US is in a customs union with the UK...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Get on my level son!

My new excuse is "I'm not fat, this is my Brexit stockpile".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

No Deal keeps her in Number 10, a GE (probably) doesn't. That's as far as her political calculus will go.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Coohoolin posted:

No, because noone really knows what is going to happen. But seriously, you'll be fine. You have a Swiss passport so can always escape there or to any other country in the EEA if things actually do start going to poo poo.

And if this whole shitstorm is taking its toll on you mentally, then just switch off, lose yourself in your work/education/family/hobbies/whatever. Worst thing you can do is get stressed over things that you genuinely have zero control over.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Coohoolin posted:

I've been studiously avoiding getting worked up about anything or actively worrying about my future just to preserve my mental health, and today I started to actually care

Congrats, you are officially a few days ahead compared to several sitting MPs in your personal "maybe I should start caring about Brexit" date.

Also, I'm sorry thread, I've tried not following the vote live but it didn't work.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No Deal keeps her in Number 10, a GE (probably) doesn't. That's as far as her political calculus will go.

This is probably true tbf

There may be enough anti-brexit Tories to vote no confidence once we're literally at the cliff edge, hopefully.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

There may be enough anti-brexit Tories to vote no confidence once we're literally at the cliff edge, hopefully.

After a no-confidence vote she remains PM for fourteen days before she has to call an election. We're already closer to the cliff edge than that.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

StarkingBarfish posted:

As a resident of the glorious helvetic confederation, the quality of your ingredients is excellent, but your food is poo poo. Fondue, raclette and spazli get exceptionally boring after the second try, and my god you need to improve your immigration policy if only so that Switzerland can experience what an actual curry tastes like because restaurants here are clearly working from hearsay alone

LOL real talk right here

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Maybe you should write to your MP, express your concerns and indicate a manner in which you think they could go some way towards addressing these concerns.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I've not been stock-pilling at all, so at least if we end up with hard brexit I don't need to worry about my declining mental health anymore as I'll run out of food pretty quick.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

But the CUKs and the Progressive Conservative have reason not to go to a GE

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

jabby posted:

After a no-confidence vote she remains PM for fourteen days before she has to call an election. We're already closer to the cliff edge than that.

Maybe a VONC would be seem as a sufficiently major political shift for the EU to agree an extension though. They don't want no deal either if there's a chance they can avoid it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Leaving Brexit aside for a moment, two of my friends are going to Bristol Transformed so I've got myself a ticket! :toot: Anyone else going to be about?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My new excuse is "I'm not fat, this is my Brexit stockpile".

do i get fat to stockpile calories or do i get lean so that I am the last choice for cannibalism in the post-brexit hellscape world

does the government have official advice on this issue

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

is there any realistic alternative to no deal at this point? apart from general uprising?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Maybe a VONC would be seem as a sufficiently major political shift for the EU to agree an extension though. They don't want no deal either if there's a chance they can avoid it.

At this point I think they're getting pretty close, especially Macron.

So even if May lost a VONC it wouldn't change the default of No Deal, and from the EU perspective there's no guarantee she wouldn't win a confidence vote the week after and we're back to square one.

Basically, one or more parties other than Labour needs to whip for an option that isn't their absolute favourite. The SNP moved on CM2.0, but it just wasn't enough. Labour are already whipping for everything but May's deal so they can't go further. It's down to either the SNP to back a customs union or the Lib Dems & CUKs to back CM2.0.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo posted:

Stupidest timeline:

It goes to a long extension plus general election. No second referendum is on the Cards. Labour repeats its soft brexit manifesto and seems quiet about a second referendum. The conservatives promise a better deal.

After extensive committee meetings, the CUKs finally announce their manifesto.

They have two policies.

First: Stop Brexit, Remain in Europe

Second: Immediately after the first is resolved, hold another general election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

gently caress it I'm getting drunk