Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Alhazred posted:

In Fallout 3 the Talon Mercenaries will run away if they realize that the fight is going badly for them.

In Doom 4 if you get the Berserker upgrade some enemies run away and actually cower when you approach them to rip and tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The stormtroopers in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy did that as well. Those games were pretty great in general.

In Jedi Knight, they would run around like chickens with their heads cut off. In the expansion, Mysteries of the Sith, they would actually try to punch you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I picked up Strange Brigade on the PS4 and it's a lot of fun so far. There are optional pickup weapons that have about a clip or box of ammo then they go away when they are all spent and they are very satisfying to use, like a shotgun that fires electricity, and the grenades ignite the enemies so do damage over time, as well as being on a cooldown so you don't run out. The amulet attack is also quite satisfying. I also like the 1930s old filmreel aesthetic.

I made a brief video of it to show off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoBMSbkiz4

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I picked up Strange Brigade on the PS4 and it's a lot of fun so far. There are optional pickup weapons that have about a clip or box of ammo then they go away when they are all spent and they are very satisfying to use, like a shotgun that fires electricity, and the grenades ignite the enemies so do damage over time, as well as being on a cooldown so you don't run out. The amulet attack is also quite satisfying. I also like the 1930s old filmreel aesthetic.

I made a brief video of it to show off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoBMSbkiz4

I've considered that game once or twice but it looks like it might be incredibly racist based on its settings.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

You just fight zombies. And pirates. It's pretty fun co op, me and my son played through it and had a good time. It's nothing amazing and it's pretty short but it's probably worth it if you find it on sale

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm really amazed at how well Risk Of Rain made the jump from 2d to 3d with the sequel.

RoR2 is fun as hell, even though it only is out in Early Access

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm really amazed at how well Risk Of Rain made the jump from 2d to 3d with the sequel.

RoR2 is fun as hell, even though it only is out in Early Access

A friend and I managed to last an hour and make it through a loop of the levels last night. It felt pretty badass

Then the game just decided to spawn bosses as regular enemies and we died

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really appreciate how the Prototypes in Strange Brigade work - they are one time chests that give you a special prototype weapon with a single unit of ammo, whether that be a box or clip or whatever it uses, that once spent disappears. It encourages you to use the more varied weapons rather than the more reliable but slightly boring rifles and pistols, and see what they are like rather than hording them, and makes you use weapons you otherwise wouldn't use like the flamethrower because it's like "May as well use it while I've got it." Of course there are some you hope for more than others, like the Shockgun and Blunderbuss are total mvps, but the others are fun too. Also it avoids that frustrating Half-life problem where you want to use the RPG but nothing is dropping ammo for it and you're full on pistol ammo dammit!, because you know nothing will drop it anyway so you are just encouraged to explore the level looking for other prototypes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Totally Accurate Battle Simulator is finally out (early access).

My favorite thing to do is setting two kings (massive HP, wields a claymore) against each other and just see what happens.

Because of the jiggle-bones physics, the fights are highly unpredictable. I had Blue hit Red so hard that he smashed his face I to the ground, bounced backwards and accidentally stabbed blue in the head for a victory.

TABS is a game I always wanted but could never articulate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

Perfect Dark was great and had some amazing AI that is made all the better off the fact it was made on a nintendo 64. Guards surrender, sometimes they'll pull out 5 guns from their pockets, but often they'll just gently caress off and hide. They BS with one another, while standing guard they'll scratch their butts... Why is rear end scratching never done in modern games? Everyone scratches their rear end. Politicians, bankers, janitors, especially fast food employees, all scratch their rear end. They do it when they think no one is watching, but Joanna is. She is there, she sees everything.

And then there is the combat simulator AI who each have different personalities. Pacifist sims run around and grab up all the weapons so no one can use them, coward sims will run from people with good weapons but will try to take cheap shots at people who have their backs to them or weaker weapons. Prey sims go after the player with the lowest score, judge sims go after the player with the highest score. Feud Venge sims go after whoever killed them last, even if it was a teammate. Feud sims will randomly choose a player and only go after them the entire round.

Making AI that does anything more then rush the player while shooting them? Pft, thats what online multiplayer is for!

Evil Genius had a ton of canned effects like that, people would wave to each other and give finger guns in the halls, idle dudes would adjust their undercarriage, random idle dudes would go off into secluded rooms on their smoke breaks and chat, I always loved seeing the minions chilling with my henchmen and just imagining the minion being like "holy poo poo its THE Eli Barracuda :magical:"

God I hope Evil Genius 2 captures that same spirit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

Holy poo poo this is a thing that's supposed to exist?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Len posted:

Holy poo poo this is a thing that's supposed to exist?

It was announced back in 2017 that they'd started development but there hasn't really been any news since then.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's being made by the same guys who made Strange Brigade, weirdly enough. It's original announcement in 2017 felt like one of those "ugh our weird millionaire CEO forgot we didn't want to announce that for another year and ran his mouth in an interview" kinda thing to me though.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Hypnospace Outlaw is a 90's Web 1.0 simulator and is chock-full of thousands of little things. My favorite little thing is that shaking your mouse actually does make the ingame web browser load faster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Petit Gregory posted:

Hypnospace Outlaw is a 90's Web 1.0 simulator and is chock-full of thousands of little things. My favorite little thing is that shaking your mouse actually does make the ingame web browser load faster.

i remembered this was a thing and immediately aged fifty years

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Just started playing Yomawari: Night Alone. While the number of bullshitty deaths is already annoying for a game with limited saving, I do appreciate that it keeps your progress between each. No retreading to the spot that killed you for keys or relevatory information you already know, just move on to the next thing.

I also recently finished Iconoclasts and late boss spoiler for a latter section of it, you play the main character's brother who's really been through the wringer. His house was blown up with him and his now dead family in it, he got medically experimented on and his arm ripped off. During this part of the game, he barely jumps a single box in height, pitiful for a platformer, and can't even slowly poke his broken sword in his normal attack without losing balance. The implication at this point is that you're going to fight one of the baddie's super soldiers, who've already demonstrated flying, pyrokinesis, invisibility and super speed/strength with the remaining one being a particularly ripped commando-looking one. When you finally run into him, he just loving stands there giving a MGS-esque speech about war and struggle. He's standing there occasionally throwing a knife and yelling about DEER GROW ANTLERS, ANIMALS GROW FANGS AND CLAWS while this dude crippled during all the fighting slowly limps across the room about 15 times weakly poking him with his sword. It's saucy as hell and I dig it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Division 2 there are contaminated areas called Dark Zones where your character has to wear a breather mask. Enemies in these areas also have to wear masks, and their callouts are correspondingly muffled.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can you shoot their masks off and have them suffocate?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Danaru posted:

Evil Genius had a ton of canned effects like that, people would wave to each other and give finger guns in the halls, idle dudes would adjust their undercarriage, random idle dudes would go off into secluded rooms on their smoke breaks and chat, I always loved seeing the minions chilling with my henchmen and just imagining the minion being like "holy poo poo its THE Eli Barracuda :magical:"

I loved playing that game. Once you got used to not being to control the people on the map, except through the act of building, it was incredible.

I loved making infinite money traps which just spun heroes around in loops of pain and fire for eternity.

In fact, all the traps in that game were so much fun - especially once someone told me that if you click the alert button a second time you could turn off the horrible alarm noise and keep your minions moving at a brisk pace without risking a headache.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I loved playing that game. Once you got used to not being to control the people on the map, except through the act of building, it was incredible.

Sounds like Knight and Merchants

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In fact, all the traps in that game were so much fun - especially once someone told me that if you click the alert button a second time you could turn off the horrible alarm noise and keep your minions moving at a brisk pace without risking a headache.

Holy poo poo I loved that game but stopped playing it because of that, I wish I had known about turning the sound off.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I loved making infinite money traps which just spun heroes around in loops of pain and fire for eternity.

Wait, what? You could turn off the alarm sound!?

Damnit now I'm going to have to dig it out and lose hundreds more hours to it.

Not that I really mind doing that :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PremiumSupport posted:

Wait, what? You could turn off the alarm sound!?

Damnit now I'm going to have to dig it out and lose hundreds more hours to it.

Not that I really mind doing that :)

It's readily available on GoG.com and often goes VERY cheap if you want a digital copy.

I still have my disc for it somewhere too :allears:. Box too, I think.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really digging Sekiro. Not just because it plays like a dream and somehow I'm weirdly good at it, but because it's given me a bunch of foil Steam cards that I've sold for $5.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have the most fun in Evil Genius forgetting about the social stuff and just keeping everyone on yellow alert and guns blazing :v: Agents can't bring heat on you if they're dead

Plus it's always great seeing an enemy soldier 1v1ing Jubei as four guards show up and light them up with rifle fire

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh poo poo another thing about Perfect Dark AI: There are enemies who have night vision goggles, and they ambush you in the dark. If you flick the light switch back on they get blinded for a bit. Its amazing cause usually its only the player who ever gets effected by the blinding light that happens when you put on night vision in a brightly lit room.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: Most of the enemies have new paint jobs. It doesen't do anything, but it looks cool.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Samuringa posted:

Can you shoot their masks off and have them suffocate?

You can shoot them in the face and have them die.

So... kinda? They can have whatever cause of death you like in your headcanon.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

John Pastor posted:

In the Metro games enemies will suffocate if you shoot off their gas mask in a toxic area. That's probably why Samuringa brought it up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

John Pastor posted:

why are you acting like that was a silly question to ask in the "little things in games" thread

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I haven't played Division 2, but in the first game those masks were like barely one step up from those paper medical masks you can buy at Walgreens, so I imagine if you shot a dude wearing one of them in the mask, he has other more immediate problems than toxic inhalation.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Danaru posted:

I have the most fun in Evil Genius forgetting about the social stuff and just keeping everyone on yellow alert and guns blazing :v: Agents can't bring heat on you if they're dead

Plus it's always great seeing an enemy soldier 1v1ing Jubei as four guards show up and light them up with rifle fire

Oh man. I'd kill for a modern game that scratched this itch

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

Evil Genius was a great game with some annoying bugs (scientists did the opposite of what they were supposed to do, and people can't walk on the carpet being the two big ones I remeber). I should look into seeing if anyone ever patched the bugs...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

I haven't played Division 2, but in the first game those masks were like barely one step up from those paper medical masks you can buy at Walgreens, so I imagine if you shot a dude wearing one of them in the mask, he has other more immediate problems than toxic inhalation.

Also more to the point, the quarantine zones are off limits because they're teeming with the virus that's sent things to hell. Getting your mask shot off would be bad, but a "you now have a week to live" kind of bad rather than a "gurgle loudly and drop to the ground dead" bad.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Also more to the point, the quarantine zones are off limits because they're teeming with the virus that's sent things to hell. Getting your mask shot off would be bad, but a "you now have a week to live" kind of bad rather than a "gurgle loudly and drop to the ground dead" bad.
Division 2's dark/quarantine zones are thanks to the governments comical mishandling of something that was meant to control the virus but instead it turns super duper toxic when cold and OOPS we dropped/sprayed/exploded it everywhere! :sadtrombone:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really appreciate that in the new Hitman games, XP and mastery levels you get for kills/challenges/discoveries you do are persistent even if you load a previous save so I don't have to do the whole level 5 times to get the rewards for 5 different kills.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One of Warframe's playable, well, Warframes, is Gara, a warrior wearing armor made of glass that it controls for attacks. There's a lot going on in Warframe at any given time, so basically any visual flair to an ability might count as 'subtle', but Gara's got an interesting little touch to her that when she uses certain abilities, the transparent glass parts of her armor disappear, actually becoming the ability you're using.

And this is largely unrelated, but she's also extremely funny to step outside of and just recognize her playstyle as what it is. Her strategy is basically just to enter the fight and explode violently into glass shards, and that's a neat character to have around, aesthetically.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Apr 5, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Her signature weapon is a shotgun that fires glass pellets and is also a goddamn damage monster.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crossposting because i stupidly didnt read past the first three words in the title and posted it in the wrong thread. this is most definitely a little thing i loved about this game:

Dash Rendar posted:

Distrust is an isometric survival roguelite that's basically John Carpenter's The Thing with all the serial numbers filed off. You play as a rescue team who are sent to an Antarctic research base when a mysterious distress signal is sent out. Your helicopter lands and you find the base in abandoned with each section in various states of disrepair. As you scavenge your way through each portion of the base, you have to manage your health, body heat, stamina, and hunger with what meager resources you can dig up. Stay in heated buildings to keep warm, eat food to stay full, sleep to stay rested, and use medical supplies to stay alive. All pretty standard stuff.

Well, enemies in this game are summoned whenever characters fall asleep. The longer you sleep, the greater your odds of attracting the attention of "anomalies". However, the longer you go without getting rest when you're properly sleep deprived, the more fatigue-induced madnesses you acquire. Some are more easily managed than others. Shakespearean Expert and Obsessive Singing are pretty cute, for example, for self-evident reasons. Burst of Anger is frustrating as hell because the character is far more likely to break tools.

I got Hallucinations for the first time and kind of wrote it off as relatively harmless because I didn't notice any immediate change with the character. So I sent my two survivors into a building and had one of them start kindling a fire while another repaired a generator. I flipped to my third character in another building to keep scavenging, then flipped back to my first two to find that holy poo poo they're being attacked by an anomaly! I was thrown off because it looked like one of my characters had been attacked and transformed into an anomaly, so I had the other survivor drop what they were doing and shoot it. It dropped and there was my second survivor lying dead. I was completely baffled until I realized that it was just the loving Hallucinations madness and the game had suckered me into killing my own guy.

Well played, Distrust. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When you finish all the story content in The Division 2 they do a neat thing and introduce a whole new faction who have better gear and training than all the guys you were previously fighting. They also cause certain story missions to turn into "Invaded" versions where instead of replaying the original mission you have new enemies with randomized spawn points.