Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

A tenant is a equal participant in a business relationship.

Lmfao sure buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

baquerd posted:

Those who are even moderately wealthy on a scale where it makes sense on an international scale to gently caress with their assets have already diversified outside of their physical country and also into a variety of shell companies. You'll have to take down the world to get at the truly wealthy, let alone some people with mere tens of millions if that.

The US will have no problem tracking down debtors and no country will harbor them. China? They kill the wealthy regularly. Russia? Same.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Speleothing posted:

Removing long-term rental units from the market in favor of high-profit hotelling is actually worse, for the community, than 'just' being a rent-seeker. The fact that you're considering it proves that you have no interest in ethics.

To double down on this idea, we were originally renting our detached garage turned studio apartment on Airbnb, but then it became apparent that this practice of putting all smaller places on Airbnb was decimating the housing security for small apartment demographic locals (students, new single arrivals, young adults, etc).

Despite being more lucrative in the short term, we don't want to live in a Dickensonion hellscape, so decided to stop renting short term and only long term until the housing availability landscape changes. I did like meeting new guests from all over, hearing their stories and sharing my local knowledge, but not at the expense of the health of my city and nation.

In addition to checking the short term elements like if you will have the time or desire to clean 3-4x a week, licenses you might need, etc, be sure to check if your city is experiencing a housing shortage caused by Airbnb. If it is, I think it's immoral to proceed anyway, even if it's currently legal, and have supported the measures in my city to curtail putting so much housing on the platform.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

baquerd posted:

Those who are even moderately wealthy on a scale where it makes sense on an international scale to gently caress with their assets have already diversified outside of their physical country and also into a variety of shell companies. You'll have to take down the world to get at the truly wealthy, let alone some people with mere tens of millions if that.

Literally all of this could be said about drug cartels but it doesn't stop the US from going after them, and successfully bringing some of their leaders to jail.

If the US military can find Osama bin Laden, they can find Jeff bezos in his Cayman hidey hole.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

Literally all of this could be said about drug cartels but it doesn't stop the US from going after them

or funding them

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The only reason the foreign accounts and corporate subsidiary shell game works is because it's written to work that way by co-opted governments. They could absolutely shut that poo poo down if they cared to.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Only one man can save this thread from the clutches of the bourgeoisie: https://youtu.be/ssHEAOrAdCU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why these people are making GBS threads up the owning property thread as they are clearly living rent free within the simpson's head.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
No one else is using it so we’re squatting, duh.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Rama of Ra posted:

No one else is using it so we’re squatting, duh.

How dare you take food out of the mouths of those hard working landlords

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hi de ho fellow land ownerinos. Them proletarians am I right? *rolls eyes in bourgeoisie*

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
tyvm for the 10/10 avatar suggestion in my probation, which in keeping with the ethos of this thread I've shamelessly stolen

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo ignore the horribly exploitative status quo that seeks to reassure you that exploitation is ok

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.
Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
RIP rental property thread I guess

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gay

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Excalibur posted:

Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

I don't know about raising the rent but if you want to get income for renovating that housing unit you could sell it to someone else as a condo, get general contracting licensing & insurance and then get them to hire you to renovate it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jealous Cow posted:

RIP rental property thread I guess

This thread has been rightfully reclaimed by the proletariat, much like your property will soon be

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Excalibur posted:

If you can move in, owner occupancy often trumps any tenant rights and you can simply refuse to renew the lease. Then after a reasonable period of time, move out and get those rents up. Definitely talk to a local property attorney to avoid going to jail for this though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

baquerd posted:

If you can move in, owner occupancy often trumps any tenant rights and you can simply refuse to renew the lease. Then after a reasonable period of time, move out and get those rents up. Definitely talk to a local property attorney to avoid going to jail for this though.

You're a total piece of poo poo OP

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus lmao, how disgustingly capitalist of u baq

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Excalibur posted:

Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave
Around here the slumlords generally favor hired thugs with baseball bats. YMMV.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

apropos of nothing if I want to arm my tenants with weapons for home defense from, say, humanoid leeches, what are some good options?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i recommend stakes

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Excalibur posted:

I have a suggestion but you won't like it

IamFuckMan
Mar 26, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd posted:

Parties in possession is per unit. Do you even title report bro??

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.

Ruzihm posted:

I don't know about raising the rent but if you want to get income for renovating that housing unit you could sell it to someone else as a condo, get general contracting licensing & insurance and then get them to hire you to renovate it.
I appreciate the thought but I'm really going for passive income here. I don't want to have to do the work on the building myself. Also, selling the building off early would limit my upside and prevent me from profiting down the road as the rents increase.

baquerd posted:

This is the kind of creative thinking I was looking for. I'm not sure I would live in the building myself since it's in a "gentrifying" not "gentrified" neighborhood, but it looks like other family members can qualify in my region. But yeah good call on consulting an attorney to make sure it's all legal - I wouldn't want to go through all that only to lose to a tenant like that in court. Bonus value that the family member would learn the value of hard work from their own sacrifice versus them just inheriting it down the road without ever contributing to the building themself.

IamFuckMan posted:

I have a suggestion but you won't like it
Shoot, I'm all ears.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cede your property

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Update:

Our smaller investment property is now fully unloaded. We tried to sell to the renters who were living there, offering them 5 months to save up a deposit, lower than what we eventually sold for price which they agreed to, but were then unable to get financing for. We extended them a debt note which would have made it possible, but would require a payment to the bank + us each month, and our being able to force a sale in the event of non payment, but while half the couple was game, the other wasn't. They already have new housing and we've parted ways amicably with a glowing recommendation note given for their future use.

Sold within 5 days, first showing. We set the price low because we wanted to sell asap. Profit was made, would do again.

Our debt levels are back to a comfortable level, paying about 10% of monthly income to service the minimum, but paying about 50% on debt and another 20-30% goes each month to renovations on the new place.

We've decided to move from house one, to house two as soon as the basement apartment is livable, which I'm still rushing to finish. A good friend of ours will take over house one, renting at half the market rate as we know she will take immaculate care of it, and benefits her specific financial situation. Probably will either be neutral or barely profitable enough to calculate, but add in our guesthouse renter on the same location, still paying same rent for 5 years running, and it's a nice supplement to our day job income.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not specifically directed at you poopinmymouth

Ramc posted:

I will concede that most posters don't want to deny you a platform.

:discourse:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

still lmaoing at this landlord who literally re-invented untermensch through capitalist rationale

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Tollymain posted:

not specifically directed at you poopinmymouth

:discourse:

Same, took me a minute, but lol

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

baquerd posted:

A tenant is a equal participant in a business relationship.

lmao in practice, it most certainly is not

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
I wonder if in the future society will look back on landlordism similarly to how slavery/indentured servitude is looked upon today.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
My building has 3 floors, because I was raised as a tenement dweller i only use 1 floor because otherwise i get anxiety. Am I allowed to rent the other levels, or is the ethical thing to keep them off the market, or do i simply get the gallows for owning property?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

osker posted:

My building has 3 floors, because I was raised as a tenement dweller i only use 1 floor because otherwise i get anxiety. Am I allowed to rent the other levels, or is the ethical thing to keep them off the market, or do i simply get the gallows for owning property?

In my opinion, you should do it, assuming you can offer them at affordable rates (not just literally affordable but like a realistic fraction of average income for the area) and be aware of the power imbalance you would have as the owner.

Build spaces you are proud of (my rule was always if I could imagine living there myself and be comfortable), either by your own hand or via tradesmen, do as much research as possible so that you are offering a service worth paying for, and routinely make sure you still feel it's a fair exchange of what you are offering and that each person renting from you is being treated fairly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
start a co-op

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

osker posted:

I don't think anyone is advocating the gallows for owning the home you live in. Personal property is perfectly fine.

Tollymain posted:

start a co-op

Converting a building to a co-op is actually not that hard and is pretty common in some cities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tollymain posted:

start a co-op

This, unironically. You can leverage your privilege to create the seeds for an actual community that can pool together labor to make everyone's living experience much easier. Once you have this organized seed yall can branch out into other resiliency/mitigation tools for the upcoming climapocalypse as well.

tl;dr community bonds and pooled labor > grifting a check off the top while maintaining unequal power structures