Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hey everybody, I just want to remind you that your life belongs to you. You are the only one who has to live with the choices you make and the things you decide to do or not do. Don't let someone else dictate what you do with yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Hey everybody, I just want to remind you that your life belongs to you. You are the only one who has to live with the choices you make and the things you decide to do or not do. Don't let someone else dictate what you do with yourself.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

my prescription for ppl who have anxiety sometimes (including myself) is to look at this pic

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i realized that in my last year of high school and i am surprised i still got in to college, where i did more dumb idiot things

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I missed half my shift today because I woke up and had a panic attack about yesterday. I’m going to try to find a new counselor and see if that helps at all.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Slowly making my way through this thread, but I want to give thanks for it existing. Also want to send hope that things will get better to anyone currently suffering.

Mill Village posted:

I missed half my shift today because I woke up and had a panic attack about yesterday. I’m going to try to find a new counselor and see if that helps at all.

As someone who has been in this spot quite often, I know it seems to suck now but don't let the anxiety prevent you from getting help. Many times I gave in and refused help from others and it only led to things getting worse.

Zil has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Apr 1, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Took a week off from obsessively reading C-Spam and I feel better. Going to try to keep up the focusing on other things.

I read a study last fall about the amount of vitamin D we need to consume. It affected me a lot. To summarize, it concludes that there was a great miscalculation in the amount of vitamin D most people need to consume. The study calculated that we should actually be getting about 12x more than what was previously reccomended, and that some people need even more.

This really stood out to me, because I crave foods rich in vitamin D such as fish and mushrooms and dairy all the time. I long suspected I had a vitamin D deficiency. Particularly because I live in a very dark and cloudy country and a lot of my friends have been diagnosed with either vitamin deficiencies or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and I shared a lot of their symptoms.

In order to process the vitamin D you consume, your body needs to be exposed to the sunlight, and that just doesn't happen here as much as other places. It's always cloudy and dark especially in winter, and it makes a lot of people really depressed until spring. Lack of vitamin D is linked to SAD.

Anyway, when I read this study it resonated with a longstanding suspicion I had, and motivated me to buy vitamin D supplements, and I have been taking them all winter. I have to say that this was one of the happiest winters I had in a few years. I was still stressed out and and it wasn't exactly happy-go-lucky, but the deep brooding misery that I have felt in previous winters was noticeably absent. And now that the days are getting longer and I'm getting more sun I am noticing that it improves my mood a lot. If things keep going this way, I should be downright happy by summer!

That study seems to suggest that massive segments of the population have chronic vitamin D deficiency, which can lead to fatigue, joint and back pain, depression, and a bunch of other stuff which I suffered from myself, but now experience much less. I now suspect that the problem wasn't so much the lack of sunshine, but the lack of vitamin D in my body.

Maybe I just placeboed myself and the study is wrong but I'm gonna keep it up anyway. Eat fish, drink milk, and be merry!

Edit: I realize that human neurochemistry is very complicated, as is depression, and I'm not saying that eating vitamin D pills will cure your depression. Just that I have been doing it and it seems to help, but this is purely anecdotal and it could be a bunch of other things and idk what I’m talking about but it seems to help me in my particular circumstances :shrug:

twoday has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Apr 1, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

Took a week off from obsessively reading C-Spam and I feel better. Going to try to keep up the focusing on other things.

I read a study last fall about the amount of vitamin D we need to consume. It affected me a lot. To summarize, it concludes that there was a great miscalculation in the amount of vitamin D most people need to consume. The study calculated that we should actually be getting about 12x more than what was previously reccomended, and that some people need even more.

This really stood out to me, because I crave foods rich in vitamin D such as fish and mushrooms and dairy all the time. I long suspected I had a vitamin D deficiency. Particularly because I live in a very dark and cloudy country and a lot of my friends have been diagnosed with either vitamin deficiencies or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and I shared a lot of their symptoms.

In order to process the vitamin D you consume, your body needs to be exposed to the sunlight, and that just doesn't happen here as much as other places. It's always cloudy and dark especially in winter, and it makes a lot of people really depressed until spring. Lack of vitamin D is linked to SAD.

Anyway, when I read this study it resonated with a longstanding suspicion I had, and motivated me to buy vitamin D supplements, and I have been taking them all winter. I have to say that this was one of the happiest winters I had in a few years. I was still stressed out and and it wasn't exactly happy-go-lucky, but the deep brooding misery that I have felt in previous winters was noticeably absent. And now that the days are getting longer and I'm getting more sun I am noticing that it improves my mood a lot. If things keep going this way, I should be downright happy by summer!

That study seems to suggest that massive segments of the population have chronic vitamin D deficiency, which can lead to fatigue, joint and back pain, depression, and a bunch of other stuff which I suffered from myself, but now experience much less. I now suspect that the problem wasn't so much the lack of sunshine, but the lack of vitamin D in my body.

Maybe I just placeboed myself and the study is wrong but I'm gonna keep it up anyway. Eat fish, drink milk, and be merry!

Edit: I realize that human neurochemistry is very complicated, as is depression, and I'm not saying that eating vitamin D pills will cure your depression. Just that I have been doing it and it seems to help, but this is purely anecdotal and it could be a bunch of other things and idk what I’m talking about but it seems to help me in my particular circumstances :shrug:

Vitamin D deficiency exacerbating depression is 100% a thing and I edited it into the OP once my own pdoc told me "uh here take 50,000 units more than what your body actually needs for a month." Incredibly enough my joints don't ache any more. A simple blood test from your GP can point out any vitamins you're chronically deficient in and most of them nowadays just check for Vitamin D on any test regardless of what it's for

Also make sure your B12 levels are right (especially if you're a vegetarian) and consider whether or not you need help processing folic acid (i.e. deplin)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I probably get enough vit d from dairy, and I certainly have enough blood tests but I've been trying to incorporate salmon into my diet unsuccessfully.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
yeah friends I take 5000 iu of vitamin D a day. gimme that D, baybee.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

your system will absorb it better if u take the D internally~

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Feranon posted:

your system will absorb it better if u take the D internally~

buttchug sunlight, got it :hai:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Open your rear end in a top hat to the sun, like our forebears taught us :goatsecx:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

pounded in the rear end by helios until we're not sad brained anymore

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feranon posted:

pounded in the rear end by helios until we're not sad brained anymore

chuck tingle really is reaching out to a wider audience these days

Goon Danton posted:

Open your rear end in a top hat to the sun, like our forebears taught us :goatsecx:

:hmmyes:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

watching videos of elliot abrams talking about venezuela is real bad for your mental health unless you're an imperialist bootlicker

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I bought some vitamin D supplements today, thanks to this thread.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
*cashes endorsement check from Big D*

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Lack of motivation is a common sx of depression and is one of the greatest contributors of keeping people stuck in cycles of behavior that reinforce their depression. One of the best ways to build more positive and adaptive coping skills and break the cycle of depression is to take action. In cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) this is often conceived/taught in two skills. One behavioral activation and the other opposite action. You dont need a therapist to do alot of this stuff.

I know many people are dealing with existential issues that impact their core beliefs and that in turn keep them stuck, but it is possible to start living a less depressed life before you tackle the underlying core beliefs or existential issues that keep you depressed. Your behavior thoughts and emotions are connected. if you change one of them you can change all of them. The easiest one to change is your behavior. Which is why this is often a first place to start. Additionally, once you have behavior and coping skills that support a less depressed life you will be better able to engage with and resolve the beliefs or issues from which your depression stems as you will be able to not tailspin

PDF on bx activation: https://medicine.umich.edu/sites/default/files/content/downloads/Behavioral-Activation-for-Depression.pdf

This PDF is simple and has worksheets that you can do all on your own without much additional input needed. Behavioral activation is all about doing things that make you feel better on purpose and gather empirical evidence that this poo poo works so your brain cant lie to you because you got receipts. Once you know what works you can pair it with mood tracking and plug and play activities that will support a higher mood, more accomplishment, and pleasure. This alone can go a long way towards resolving symptoms of depression and can help you learn new coping skills that actually work instead of coping skils you just think work and in reality make things worse (e.g. 10 straight hours video games for some)

motivation info From the PDF:

"From the outside-in…
As we discussed in the “Action Precedes Emotion?” section earlier, one reason we
struggle with motivation is that we are looking to our internal emotional state
(happy, energized, excited) to cue us to start a task. This is an “inside-out” way of
thinking which is problematic with depression, because for most people, low
motivation/energy is a pervasive symptom that typically takes some time to resolve.
In Behavioral Activation we ask people to work from the outside-in, acting
according to a plan rather than waiting to feel ready. We can jump-start our mood
by starting with an action and letting our mood follow. This is hard at first, but over
time, most people recognize that their actions can actually have an impact on their
mood, so they feel less at the mercy of their depression. "

Opposite action is exactly as it sounds. you KNOW that choosing to stay in bed keeps you stuck. So opposite action is literally doing the opposite of what you normally do that keeps you stuck. "I dont want to get out of bed or what is the point?" -> do the opposite because you know that thought and behavior is keeping you depressed. getting out of the bed becomes the point. Pretty much break the cycle of behaviors that are keeping you stuck by purposefully doing the opposite of whatever your low mood is signaling for you to do. If this makes you uncomfortable GOOD. A lot of maladaptive behaviors are comfortable and habitual. Some people are comfortable, not happy mind you but comfortable, being depressed and that is part of the problem that keeps you stuck. lean into the discomfort. conflict brings growth.

I think that changing behavior is a good first place for a lot of people who are depressed before getting into the core beliefs which perpetuate those negative behaviors in the first place. It becomes motivating to keep moving forward when you take control and start taking action.

EmbryoSteve has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Apr 1, 2019

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

A way I often talk to clients who struggle with getting started with motivating themselves is to conceive doing the opposite action or bx activation as thinking about the behavior as something they need to do as badly as they need to breath.

The cool thing about this is that you do not require getting into any trauma or other more underlying issues to do this stuff. No need to think about why trump is president or whatever. It literally doesnt matter who is president or how they got there if you are stuck in bed all day err day

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
rough one today. couldn’t get out of bed until eleven, couldn’t go to work, couldn’t leave the bedroom until 2 and not without a tremendous amount of coaxing from MY WIFE. I’m out now but oof it’s rough

we talked about it a bit and she hit on the nose without even realizing how:
today’s the day I moved to Austin and started That Goddamn Job. it’s amazing how the brain keeps track of this stuff even if you don’t

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Chokes McGee posted:

rough one today. couldn’t get out of bed until eleven, couldn’t go to work, couldn’t leave the bedroom until 2 and not without a tremendous amount of coaxing from MY WIFE. I’m out now but oof it’s rough

we talked about it a bit and she hit on the nose without even realizing how:
today’s the day I moved to Austin and started That Goddamn Job. it’s amazing how the brain keeps track of this stuff even if you don’t

bit of advice about the type of language you use that could be contributing to your depressive symptoms. In relational framework theory we will sometimes engage in "cognitive fusion" meaning humans will cognitively “fuse” meaning, associations, assumptions and inferences onto experiences, other thoughts, other feelings, associations, assumptions and meaning, humans can shift or create a reality that is not necessarily true and most often, not very helpful. This is why the words we use and think about are vital.

Example , you said that you couldn't get out of bed until eleven. This is not accurate. You could (physically), but chose not to (due to depressive symptoms). When you frame it as something you literally cannot do you program your brain to believe it is impossible leading you to reinforce your negative thoughts emotions and behaviors.

Here is some tips copied pasted from a handout I give people to discuss this very phenomenon:

Statement: I can’t do it. I couldn’t do it. This suggests that there is something you are physically, medically unable to do... For example, “Today, I cannot fly to the moon,” “I can’t slam dunk on a 10 foot rim without assistance (unless you can of course). However, when “can’t” and “couldn’t” are used for things that are not impossible, it programs the brain to BELIEVE it. “I just couldn’t get out of bed (due to sad feelings, etc.),” is not true. You program your brain to BELIEVE it is impossible when you use can't to describe something that is in fact possible.

Replace with: I chose not to do it; I chose to do it This takes responsibility. This says you made a choice. You weren’t simply subject to some impossibility. Instead, you made a choice … which is true. If you choose NOT to do something, it means you can choose DO that same thing another time. It sets you up for future success. For example, “Today I procrastinated, and I made a choice to not get the bills completed.” Again, this minimizes STORY and sets your brain up for getting into action at a future date. “I chose not to do it,” is more accepting, more empowering, more energizing and puts you less at risk for negative hopeless cascades. The fact of the matter, in most cases, when we say, “I can’t do it … “ it’s really ... I don’t feel like doing it …”

statement: I need to do “x,” I have to do “y,” The word “need” is NOT USEFUL in many situations. It suggests that if you don’t get it, you will be harmed physically. Or that it is your inherent right. If you say “I need” to get this done, and it doesn’t get done … it sets your brain up to register strong feelings of failure, guilt, shame, and self-judgment. “I have to do it …” sets you up with dread, irritation, fear, anxiety as well. You NEED food, water, shelter. Other uses of the word need are not often accurate.

Replace with: I WANT TO, I GET TO: “I have to do the dishes,” vs. “I get to do the dishes,” The first drips of dread, mendacity, boredom. The second is energizing and suggests a privilege of sort. “I want to do the dishes,” is also energizing and empowering … and neither phrases sets you up for anxiety, dread, IF YOU DON’T COMPLETE THE TASK.

statement: Should have, Could have. “I did get some things done, but I should have done more …” These words DISCOUNT any positives that you may have made. It acts as a mental filter, filtering out the positive gains and focusing only on what isn’t done. Anytime should shows up there has been a judgement, and most of the time these types of judgements are not helpful.

Replace with: I ACCOMPLISHED X and ANOTHER WAY TO DO A is … accomplished AND Another way to do it … “I should have done it like this …” becomes, “I accomplished X, Y, and Z, and another way to do A, is B. “I am disappointed that I did not do A.” “You should have … “ becomes, “I preferred that you did …” of replace should with "I would have liked x" or "It would have been nice if..." big difference between "I should have thought more carefully about this" and "I would have liked to have thought about this differently"....

statement: BUT. Anything left of the word BUT is discounted, anything right of the word BUT is recognized … I accomplished X.Y.Z but I didn’t do A.

replace with: AND
I accomplished X,Y,Z AND I get to do A

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thank you for info dump. if nothing else, it pointed out a should/must distortion

I needed the day off to get my head screwed on right. I’ve got sick time, I’m allowed tp use it. :hai:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol it owns that "bootstraps" is basically the fundamental framework for a lot of therapists

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Chokes McGee posted:

thank you for info dump. if nothing else, it pointed out a should/must distortion

I needed the day off to get my head screwed on right. I’ve got sick time, I’m allowed tp use it. :hai:

hell yeah use your time to take care of yourself.

self-care is vitally important. Though sometimes it can feel overwhelming to take care of one's self or sometimes we are not even sure HOW to care of one's self. There are many thoughts on self-care and sometimes it is good to take stock for where you are at in that area so that you can make positive changes / be more purposeful in your actions towards yourself

Here is a self care inventory I would encourage all who suffer with poor self care to do:

https://www.nami.org/getattachment/...AR6SelfCare.pdf

Inventories are useful tools that help people gauge where they are at. They are not the be all definitions of whatever they are measuring. They are a snap shot of the current moment. I find this one useful due to the 5 domains that most people fall under. I think it is also a good starting point to think about behaviors to use during behavioral activation. Chances are high that at least a few of the things listed on this inventory are things that will improve your depressive symptoms if you can learn how to incorporate them into your life or use them to replace maladaptive behaviors that may be contributing to your symptoms.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

lol it owns that "bootstraps" is basically the fundamental framework for a lot of therapists

don’t do this

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

turn off the TV posted:

I understand that criticism and that is a common criticism of CBT, but reality is for many in order to engage with the underlying core belief that is generating these symptoms people have to first be able to address the symptoms. Learning coping skills and being able to focus and take control over what you can is empowering for many who struggle with persistent depressive symptoms. It is not for everyone.

No amount of talking about the issues to a person for an hour twice a month will change anything, for most people, if they are not taking action / acting on insights found in therapy. How many people go to therapy for an extended amount of time and never change anything they are doing and just keep going back and talking and not doing and not changing?

The vast majority of change (or not change) happens outside of the therapy session. For some maybe just talking to someone who listens is all they need which is awesome. For most, in my experience, tools to work on and change things outside of session is the most effective way to begin to alleviate their symptoms. There is a certain "just do it" attitude to CBT, and reality is that sometimes making that choice to just do it differently than you have been doing it is what is going to foster change.

You know that what you have been doing is not working.

edit: Reminder that I am posting common accessible tools for depressive symptoms that people can leave or take. CBT is fairly accessible to explain concepts of on a dying comedy forum. I believe these tools can be helpful. I am not making any sort of statement that they are the only way to relieve symptoms or change your depression. I just know in my own lived experience that they have helped me and others.

EmbryoSteve has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Apr 1, 2019

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

finally, a professional to tell us that we’re all wrong about everything

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

turn off the TV posted:

Nah this is different. I actually did have a therapist do the bootstraps thing to me. I described to her how much trouble I had doing important things, especially paperwork, where I'd spend hours lying on the sofa trying to make myself do the thing, even when the thing itself would take 15 minutes max. Basically describing a textbook problem with executive function, when I was already diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Her solution was that next time that happens, I should do the thing. No advice on reframing or CBT exercises or anything, just "stop having the problem." Ended up not doing therapy anymore and then having a mini nervous breakdown because obviously my problems weren't even real because even the person who is trained to help just thought I was lazy. So yeah bootstraps is different.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
therapists provide frameworks for you to practice and guidance/support along the way. it is ultimately up to you to put in work but your therapist is a teammate, not a dictator. only the really bad ones do that and the number is very low.

let’s deescalate this conversation now before I have to lock the thread to let it air out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Goon Danton posted:

Nah this is different. I actually did have a therapist do the bootstraps thing to me. I described to her how much trouble I had doing important things, especially paperwork, where I'd spend hours lying on the sofa trying to make myself do the thing, even when the thing itself would take 15 minutes max. Basically describing a textbook problem with executive function, when I was already diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Her solution was that next time that happens, I should do the thing. No advice on reframing or CBT exercises or anything, just "stop having the problem." Ended up not doing therapy anymore and then having a mini nervous breakdown because obviously my problems weren't even real because even the person who is trained to help just thought I was lazy. So yeah bootstraps is different.

I've done CBT and it's the only form of therapy that has worked for me. The issue I have is framing mental illness as issues of personal choice and emotions and that they're distinct from medical problems.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

turn off the TV posted:

I've done CBT and it's the only form of therapy that has worked for me. The issue I have is framing mental illness as issues of personal choice and emotions and that they're distinct from medical problems.

that’s actually a fair criticism of CBT—-overdone, it explains everything as “bad thinking” on the patients’ part. The goal is more of a reality check imo than a “correction of wrong thoughts,” but it’s a wobbly line, especially when you start the therapy and aren’t used to what you’re applying it to and how. it comes across as pointing the finger at first and it’s really not.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

i had to get on brain meds before i could brain well enough to start consistently applying what i learned from cbt

almost all mental healthcare sounds like bootstraps when you're at the "in bed all day erry day" level of depression

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Feranon posted:

i had to get on brain meds before i could brain well enough to start consistently applying what i learned from cbt

almost all mental healthcare sounds like bootstraps when you're at the "in bed all day erry day" level of depression

it would own if someone wheeled a dolly in and put you in it to get you outside tho

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

it would own if someone wheeled a dolly in and put you in it to get you outside tho

Please don't publish my business plan for when I graduate next year

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chokes McGee posted:

I've had dreams like that, thought I was the only one crazy enough to want to be wheeled around like that on bad days.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Please don't publish my business plan for when I graduate next year

ground floor

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I have a very cool anxiety disorder where I'm usually not sure why I'm anxious and the major manifestation of the anxiety is dizziness and visual distortions. This makes it difficult to do things like walk or drive and I'm pretty sure that my usual strategy of asking "what's the worst that will happen" is not going to help.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Chokes McGee posted:

I wish someone would spray me with a hose till I rolled out of bed some days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
so I went to a new GP or whatever they're called now. I explained the depression and anxiety I've been going through the last 6 months or so and that I've been going to therapy for a month. he told me to diet/exercise/therapy/spiritual poo poo for two weeks then talk about meds.

so my question is: I've been working on bettering myself but I'm hitting a wall. is it ok to ask to be prescribed for meds? my therapist said they're hard to abuse so I shouldn't be labeled a drug seeker. I'm just kinda scared to ask for this type of help