Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just got introduced to Sailor 360 at a CO's call. This should be interesting to see rolled out over a deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

boy are my arms tired posted:

i flew into bahrain while my ship was already 2 months into deployment, after that it was bahrain, jebel ali, bahrain, bahrain. then i got flown home for school/baby being born, which apparently is something that The Navy doesn't send people home for normally, but which im thankful my ship was alright with doing

they're getting to hit israel, greece and portugal on the way home

quarters, clamp down, watch, lunch, study for ESWS/quals, dinner, video games, watch, sleep

repeat for months

oh and GQ drills

GQ drills forever

You had time to play video games while you're still doing quals? loving nub rear end motherfucker YOURE DINQ

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

greetings i am returned from my first deployment

it was, uh, an experience

Whats your rate/fate?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Chief initiation season is when the chiefs spend a month proving that the ship continues to run perfectly fine without any chiefs doing any work at all.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cerekk posted:

Chief initiation season is when the chiefs spend a month proving that the ship continues to run perfectly fine without any chiefs doing any work at all.

It's a month and a half shipmate. :chiefsay:

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Cerekk posted:

Starts to run perfectly fine.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A SOF Marine posted:

Starts to run perfectly fine.

They still find time to gently caress the crew too.

Always.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I haven't had much interaction with Chiefs apart from my RDCs at OCS, at the FRS they mostly keep to themselves/scare/teach the enlisted students.

That said I had my weirdest encounter with a Chief the other day. I was dropping off cookies to the break room when one of the random Chiefs rolls in. He was pumped to meet the cookie guy but then he immediately dipped into telling me (and several people in the room) his life story about how he was former EOD and had been shot a few times in the desert and blown up a couple of times. He even pulled out his phone to show us x-rays to show us the screws in his body for his bones.

It was cool and all, but in between the photos, him telling us about how he'd fought his med discharge to a court-martial (is that a thing?) and his dozens of concussions, I was mostly thinking in my head a combination of "how the hell are you alive?!?" and "all those concussions makes me think of that cowboy football character in Not Another Teen Movie."

Nice guy though, really liked the cookies.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I haven't had much interaction with Chiefs apart from my RDCs at OCS, at the FRS they mostly keep to themselves/scare/teach the enlisted students.

That said I had my weirdest encounter with a Chief the other day. I was dropping off cookies to the break room when one of the random Chiefs rolls in. He was pumped to meet the cookie guy but then he immediately dipped into telling me (and several people in the room) his life story about how he was former EOD and had been shot a few times in the desert and blown up a couple of times. He even pulled out his phone to show us x-rays to show us the screws in his body for his bones.

It was cool and all, but in between the photos, him telling us about how he'd fought his med discharge to a court-martial (is that a thing?) and his dozens of concussions, I was mostly thinking in my head a combination of "how the hell are you alive?!?" and "all those concussions makes me think of that cowboy football character in Not Another Teen Movie."

This will make sense once you understand that everyone in the Navy is brokebrained in their own special way.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That's weird and doesn't really make sense. You'd only lose your crab (EOD qual) and have to convert if you were being kicked out of the job for cause. Wounded EOD techs, if kept in after a med board, will get to keep being EOD techs. I know at least three techs on active duty with prosthetic limbs. Probably more to that story!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Come on dude don't pull the curtain off the man pretending to be the wizard already

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DustyNuts posted:

That's weird and doesn't really make sense. You'd only lose your crab (EOD qual) and have to convert if you were being kicked out of the job for cause. Wounded EOD techs, if kept in after a med board, will get to keep being EOD techs. I know at least three techs on active duty with prosthetic limbs. Probably more to that story!

Yeah I didnt really press, it seemed weird, but I didn't really feel like pressing since Im outta there in like 2 weeks. I figured there had to be more cause than injury since the dude was now a maintainer.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah that doesn’t make any sense.

Probably EOD support who tore his shoulder playing basketball. Reminds me of this one OSC who was support for a team and called himself a “shooter.”

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Go down deep enough and we all are shooters of drain babies from the tip of our spears.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ded posted:

You had time to play video games while you're still doing quals? loving nub rear end motherfucker YOURE DINQ

oh no my chief found the SA forums, gently caress poo poo

Lou Takki posted:

Whats your rate/fate?

stg

whole lotta sonar being done in, uh, the persian gulf

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

oh no my chief found the SA forums, gently caress poo poo

Nah, he's just a submariner who (rightfully) hates everyone who is not qualified

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nick Soapdish posted:

hate everyone who is not qualified

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Go down deep enough and we all are shooters of drain babies from the tip of our spears.

new mouseover text

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son. He just found out his next assignment will be to the USS Blue Ridge, and would like to know if anyone has any stories or impressions. His rate is IT, and he says he'll be going to sysadmin and *whatever the ship intranet is called* training first.

Thanks again

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress. I’ve heard that being part of ships crew is average but belonging to the admirals staff is cake as hell. I looked into a reserve ADT but it fell though like theses things frequently do.

The ship hits a lot of ports.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress. I’ve heard that being part of ships crew is average but belonging to the admirals staff is cake as hell. I looked into a reserve ADT but it fell though like theses things frequently do.

The ship hits a lot of ports.*

*when it is functional

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aren't those things oil fired steamships, I'm surprised the Navy even remembers how to make it go, the other one has civmars in the engine room I think

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Hahaha CG is asking for voluntolds to head down to the border last minute.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Aren't those things oil fired steamships, I'm surprised the Navy even remembers how to make it go, the other one has civmars in the engine room I think

Navy doesn't have any boiler techs iirc anymore. Feel free to correct me on that, but I am pretty drat sure they don't have any.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

Navy doesn't have any boiler techs iirc anymore. Feel free to correct me on that, but I am pretty drat sure they don't have any.

They got rolled into MMs like 20 years ago.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My boot camp CC was a BT.

:corsair:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol that ship isn't due to leave service until 2039

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

lol that ship isn't due to leave service until 2039

WE LOOK FOR THINGS. THINGS TO MAKE US GO.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Hypothetical q: how do I get a job as the MWR sword guy?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

US sailors have a tiny amount of demand due to LNG and the fact that noone else has boiler techs anymore. The merchant ships will be gone in the next year though so the only remaining OFBs will be in the RRF and, apparently, the USN. There is no US LNG so you are looking at a bit of a skills gap (nucs might be able to fill?) pretty quick if nothing changes.

I think that's correct? The state of the RRF is pretty scary, anything on the scale of GW1 would be just a bit of a struggle.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Hypothetical q: how do I get a job as the MWR sword guy?

Present your NKO "Studying the Blade" cert and the job is yours.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son. He just found out his next assignment will be to the USS Blue Ridge, and would like to know if anyone has any stories or impressions. His rate is IT, and he says he'll be going to sysadmin and *whatever the ship intranet is called* training first.

Thanks again

Dude is gonna work a bunch of hours but his shore leave is going to be plentiful and awesome as hell (as long as he doesn't suck at his job).

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

US sailors have a tiny amount of demand due to LNG and the fact that noone else has boiler techs anymore. The merchant ships will be gone in the next year though so the only remaining OFBs will be in the RRF and, apparently, the USN. There is no US LNG so you are looking at a bit of a skills gap (nucs might be able to fill?) pretty quick if nothing changes.

I think that's correct? The state of the RRF is pretty scary, anything on the scale of GW1 would be just a bit of a struggle.

Why is 2020 killing ofbs anyway

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Pollutions.

Pretty sure the USCG just wants those hulls gone though, especially after the El Faro.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah MARPOL annex VI is killing off anything that doesn’t run on diesel, in practice. Scrubbers don’t really work yet.

It’s going to gently caress up a lot of things.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Has everyone wished their Chief a happy birthday today?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
SRB shutdown message came out today. Murdered a lot of SRBs.

Still hoping for an April fool's because that was 90k for 3 years in my nec/zone. Two of which I already have an extension to get rid of.

At least I can wait till next fiscal and hope.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Welp, its been 2 years since I commissioned and I haven't done anything UCMJ-able so now I'm a JG.

I still have no clue what I'm doing!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Congrats! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Welp, its been 2 years since I commissioned and I haven't done anything UCMJ-able

Are you even trying?