Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

Scandinavian explorer: ok
Giant wearing an enormous fur coat: makes sense
Had a wooden leg: that's only fair
Caught in an avalanche, escaped via frozen poop knife: understandable
Won tens of thousands of dollars on a game show: my brain does the mental equivalent of the horrible grinding sound when you shift gears in a manual car but you let the clutch out before putting it in gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-egfblrgX4&t=306s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phy posted:

Won tens of thousands of dollars on a game show: my brain does the mental equivalent of the horrible grinding sound when you shift gears in a manual car but you let the clutch out before putting it in gear
:emptyquote:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'd never actually seen it before, lmao @ 10:00 "oh, that was captain Palmer from Stonington" *indicates "over there" with head*

e: huh, it only goes to 4000 dollars in this one but he will be back next week if that one is on youtube as well

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Mar 29, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, and he was a whaler. You know, every now and then I look at my life and realize it could have been so much more entertaining and exciting.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Alhazred posted:

"What If Game of Thrones and Downtown Abbey had a cross over episode"

You know, his wife might really look Downton Abbey-esque here, but there’s something about how she looks at the camera that makes me think that she could be plenty badass too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

The category was "Things You Can Make Out of Frozen Poop".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

You know, his wife might really look Downton Abbey-esque here, but there’s something about how she looks at the camera that makes me think that she could be plenty badass too

If your life involved mounting a yeti every other night you would have to be a little adventorous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

let us hope that ice dagger was the only thing he fashioned from frozen poop

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

He looks exactly like the kind of guy that has a freezer full of artisanal poop figurines.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Mar 29, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah, I don't need anyone ripping off my posting strategy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not getting suckered by another story about a poop knife

there's a guy on youtube who has videos of him making usable knives out of the most absurd poo poo, like a usable bread knife(by which I mean a knife made out of bread)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elyv posted:

there's a guy on youtube who has videos of him making usable knives out of the most absurd poo poo, like a usable bread knife(by which I mean a knife made out of bread)

oh yeah this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oadf4KNYz-I

goon project, lets spam his comments until he makes a poop knife

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Krankenstyle posted:

oh yeah this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oadf4KNYz-I

goon project, lets spam his comments until he makes a poop knife

I thought we weren't supposed to... Touch the poop...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That drat Satyr posted:

I'm a forums lawyer. Technically,

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That drat Satyr posted:

It's okay, the Japanese knife guy will be the one touching the poop.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1866 the Linguistic Society of Paris banned all discussion of the origin of language, deeming it to be an unanswerable problem.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The language itself is an unanswerable problem

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

In 1866 the Linguistic Society of Paris banned all discussion of the origin of language, deeming it to be an unanswerable problem.

The real reason was obviously that someone might discover that the origin of language was not, in fact, French.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zudgemud posted:

The real reason was obviously that someone might discover that the origin of language was not, in fact, French.

No, Korean is the original language.

French is the apex of linguistic evolution.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While Finnish was taught by the ancient drunken Martians.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Martians were sober, it's the Finns who were/are drunk.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kassad posted:

No, Korean is the original language.

French is the apex of linguistic evolution.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While Finnish was taught by the ancient drunken Martians.

This dispute over linguistic superiority is in fact the origin of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

This dispute over linguistic superiority is in fact the origin of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

We could have starships by now!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Queen Combat posted:

We could have starships by now!

Instead we got...kimchee. And Lil' Kim.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
never knew she was finnish

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know about the Great Ancient Hwan Empire of Korean but where did the Finnish side of the hyper war meme come from?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know about the Great Ancient Hwan Empire of Korean but where did the Finnish side of the hyper war meme come from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Finland

Or a crazier variant, I assume.

E: probably includes Hungary and other finno-ugric language places

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Apr 4, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Krankenstyle posted:

Or a crazier variant, I assume.

It's pretty much because of this picture (from God knows where):

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During the 17th century England was plagued by highwaymen, former soldiers who began robbing people on the road when they couldn't find work. When a highwayman was caught and executed it was common to build gibbets and let them hang where they had performed the robberies. And since a lot of robberies took place on Hounslow Heath there was so many dead highwaymen hanging there that they became landmarks and even featured on maps.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There has traditionally been plenty of nut job theories about Finnic people. Their "realms" covered (let's ignore that they were extremely sparsely populated) a large part of north-west Russia and Scandinavia but there wasn't written language so there was plenty of room to theorize. These ideas were probably relatively popular because, unlike the most of the other European nations, the Finns didn't have any true moments of national greatness to look back.

Add to the mixture that the modern Finns are very Internet savvy memesters and active on English speaking message and image boards.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kennel posted:

There has traditionally been plenty of nut job theories about Finnic people. Their "realms" covered (let's ignore that they were extremely sparsely populated) a large part of north-west Russia and Scandinavia but there wasn't written language so there was plenty of room to theorize. These ideas were probably relatively popular because, unlike the most of the other European nations, the Finns didn't have any true moments of national greatness to look back.

Add to the mixture that the modern Finns are very Internet savvy memesters and active on English speaking message and image boards.

Clearly, everyone is overlooking the fact that their superior memesterism is creating their current moment of national greatness.

Just kidding, Finnish memes are whack as poo poo. Pretty sure the Hydraulic Press Channel is creating their current moment of national greatness.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's a joke. You know, one of those things where someone says something that is obviously not true because it's funny. It's not some obscure Finnish supremacist conspiracy theory. Despite what some people ITT seem to think, it's not something anyone anywhere has ever actually believed to be real.

It was made up on the internet a few years ago, because someone thought it was funny. Nobody (outside of a couple of people in this thread, apparently) has ever thought it was real.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Waci posted:

It's a joke. You know, one of those things where someone says something that is obviously not true because it's funny. It's not some obscure Finnish supremacist conspiracy theory. Despite what some people ITT seem to think, it's not something anyone anywhere has ever actually believed to be real.

It was made up on the internet a few years ago, because someone thought it was funny. Nobody (outside of a couple of people in this thread, apparently) has ever thought it was real.

I remember when people used to say this about Flat Earthers :sigh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Say what will, but some of the evidence presented by the Flat Earthers is very compelling.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I love it how the Flat Earthers designed a very good and reliable experiment to prove the Earth’s curvature and proceeded to do exactly that. Last I heard of that group, they were scrambling to find a flaw in the experiment to blame the result upon.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I remember when people used to say this about Flat Earthers :sigh:

The idea of the Earth being flat didn't start as a meme though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I love it how the Flat Earthers designed a very good and reliable experiment to prove the Earth’s curvature and proceeded to do exactly that. Last I heard of that group, they were scrambling to find a flaw in the experiment to blame the result upon.

Okay, now this is the sort of thing you need to expand upon because it sounds hilarious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

At this point, I'm completely convinced it must be an Alex Jones-style thing where the people at the top realize exactly how stupid what they're arguing for is, but they're still selling ad space and conspiracy books to idiots, so why stop milking it now?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Okay, now this is the sort of thing you need to expand upon because it sounds hilarious.

In one test, they bought some $20k laser gyroscope from the army and did a test to measure the rotation of the earth over an hour (i.e. when the test didn't show any rotation they would be vindicated) and it showed exactly the amount of rotation expected for a round Earth (15 degrees I think). Multiple times. The documentary is on Netflix and it is worth every second. Several instances of certain members being a hair's breadth from self awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Waci posted:

The idea of the Earth being flat didn't start as a meme though.

I mean neither did the concept about Finland's secret glorious past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Juslenius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_Wettenhovi-Aspa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ior_Bock

The Hyperwar is obviously a joke (just like most of the flat earth content) but it has some basis in historical fringe theories.