Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bruceski posted:

"get you some couth"?

Had to DDG it myself. It's an old way of saying "become more sophisticated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If it were anything but Newspaper Spider-Man, that way to swear but totally not would be obnoxious.

Instead it's pretty great.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen!

I can't believe you've done this, Spider-Man!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat that's a slick jacket though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MJ and Doc Ock are both so loving thirsty for the Parkers :lol:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:bisonyes:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wh... what business?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mysterio set himself up a little marijuana shop, calls it 'The Smoke Machine'. He's really happy with his work.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Peter has a plan

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, it's easy to see why the sunday strips still claimed he is a college student 50 years later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saoshyant posted:

Peter has a plan

Top marks, Peter. First rule of being a detective is exhaustively ruling yourself out as a suspect. Emphasis on exhaustively.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Peter is innocent, Spider-Man is the criminal

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

“Oh, no! This diner employee must suspect that I, Peter Parker, am really a Spider-Man! I better defy his suspicions by dumping spaghetti on his head for insulting me, Spider-Man!”

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Humongous Pear posted:

“Oh, no! This diner employee must suspect that I, Peter Parker, am really a Spider-Man! I better defy his suspicions by dumping spaghetti on his head for insulting me, Spider-Man!”

Well, obviously.

Spidey would have managed to dump it all over himself.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like how Kingpin's plan relies on Spiderman being incredibly stupid. It's a plan with no drawbacks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't remember seeing it posted, but here's some talk from Stan's assistant about how they did the strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If there's nepotism, it's gotta be good!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That poor.. uh, lamp? Ashtray? (Peter smokes?)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Back when smoking was not as frowned upon it was common to have ashtrays just in case a guest smokes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

isnt that inmate also the diner cook? :v

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
revenge is umami, who knew

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Was Kingpin's wife paralyzed in the comics? I'm not seeing that in scanning wikipedia.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Was Kingpin's wife paralyzed in the comics? I'm not seeing that in scanning wikipedia.

This is pre Miller Daredevil, so maybe? I thought Vanessa was a Miller invention.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Proteus Jones posted:

This is pre Miller Daredevil, so maybe? I thought Vanessa was a Miller invention.

Nope, she appeared in Amazing Spider-man #70, written by Smilin' Stan in 1969. It was the first story to give Fisk real depth, it's really good actually.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wisk was happily married to Vanessa, retired in Japan, and getting rid of his dirty business when Miller's run begins.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well I guess the paralysis is a NSM thing. Seems like a kind of dark storyline though if they actually had one where that happened and aren't just introducing it as a fact now.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Johnny Walker posted:

Well I guess the paralysis is a NSM thing. Seems like a kind of dark storyline though if they actually had one where that happened and aren't just introducing it as a fact now.
Pure NSM, someone uploaded some of the 1970s strips on their blog and this one is in the batch:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's recapped:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell yes, Vanessa Fisk as one of those noirish severe "dames" and their intrinsic disdain for everything is perfect.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Because you have no reason to be there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Because you have no reason to be there.

I mean, that's true of most of the story arcs so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh Parker, you're not a fifth wheel. You're a third. Until the other two guys show up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bruceski posted:

Oh Parker, you're not a fifth wheel. You're a third. Until the other two guys show up.
Right now, he's actually the fourth wheel, since the producer, director, and MJ are the only other characters there. But that doesn't really work for what he's trying to say.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If there's one thing that unites all supervillains it's an insatiable lust for Aunt May.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So Doc Ock doesn't see Aunt May as human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's some sort of living mummy