Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's officially February, so here, have this Valentine's image I've had sitting on my computer for a few weeks :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys - I think I figured out what was going on the Audrey scenes finally, upon viewing a re-watch.

So, I've come to the conclusion that the Audrey we see for almost all of Season 3 is actually a "tulpa" of the real Audrey, who was apparently in an inpatient facility of some sort while her "tulpa" was in Twin Peaks arguing with her husband and being bitchy and petulant about whether she wanted to go out or not.

This is really the only explanation that seems to make... any sort of sense at all. My main reasoning has more to do with points of comparison between Diane and Audrey, and why it makes a certain degree of sense (thematically, if not literally) for both characters to have a "tulpa" in Season 3.

To kind of explain where I'm coming from with any coherency, I think we need to re-establish that Twin Peaks has always been about (to some extent or another) the horrific effect that abuse and rape (represented by BOB in the series) has on an individual. The biggest thing that both Audrey and Diane have in common in Season 3 is that BOTH characters were raped by BOB in the guise of Dale Cooper/Mr. C following the events of Season 2. I actually think the use of the "tulpa" in the form of both Diane and Audrey is more an exploration of the affect of rape/sexual abuse on the psyche of any reasonably innocent appearance; splitting them in two, dividing the person into a form where, like with Diane, their "true" self is lost under a facade of damage and ruin (the eyeless/scarred woman) while the figure that they outwardly project to the world is one of unpleasantness and bitterness and anger (blonde Tulpa-Diane).

If you extend this logic to Audrey, her scenes actually make some degree of sense, I think. Even further, both tulpa-Audrey and tulpa-Diane talk about "not feeling like themselves" at various points - with tulpa-Diane, it was conspicuously right before she vanished, whereas Audrey seemed to be floating on the peripherals of figuring this out throughout her scenes. Regardless, the sense of depersonalization the tulpas feel is both fitting within the mythological framework of the show and as a thematic exploration on trauma.

I just feel like this is the only "take" on the Audrey scenes I've thought of or encountered that makes me feel like it actually "fits". I'm sure there's a lot more there to explore, but I feel pretty comfortable with the broad strokes.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I feel that mane, that implies a nice mirroring re her last scene. Shame she never gets to interact with anyone after her realities collapse back into frame, though knowing lynch that next scene wouldn’t be a happy one.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dougie scenes are at least 5-10x better on a rewatch when you aren't trying to find hints of coop

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Alternate take: Audrey wakes up in the hair salon or whatever she apparently runs according to the final dossier. The mirror fits

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Doesn't that book flatout say Audrey is in a mental hospital?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's officially February, so here, have this Valentine's image I've had sitting on my computer for a few weeks :love:

Do you know if there's bigger versions of these somewhere?

Googling doesn't seem to yield anything for me.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

eSporks posted:

Doesn't that book flatout say Audrey is in a mental hospital?

It says she is rumored to be in a mental hospital.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

When Mark Frost's earlier book came out, a lot of it was wrong and it had odd mistakes. Frost said all would be explained in time.

Did anything ever come of that, or was he just covering for having forgotten some basic details like who won Miss Twin Peaks?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

antidote posted:

When Mark Frost's earlier book came out, a lot of it was wrong and it had odd mistakes. Frost said all would be explained in time.

Did anything ever come of that, or was he just covering for having forgotten some basic details like who won Miss Twin Peaks?

I believe that was in reference to how there are now different time-lines due to Coop’s meddling in S3’s finale

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I believe that was in reference to how there are now different time-lines due to Coop’s meddling in S3’s finale

Thinking about all the things that could've gone different in Twin Peaks had Laura simply disappeared and never been found is quite the rabbit hole.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dreffen posted:

Do you know if there's bigger versions of these somewhere?

Googling doesn't seem to yield anything for me.
There probably are, just not sure where. I found them on Facebook. It was some page I wasn't following. I can't remember which one now though :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

30 years ago today!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1100258347008315393

:staredog:

That is not the year he was born, by the way.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
Over 60 different Twin Peaks prints are available from Mondo this weekend in Austin, TX.
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-art-of-greg-ruth-a-twin-peaks-interpretation-gallery-show

They're all created by Greg Ruth, whose Twin Peaks work is loving incredible
https://www.gregthings.com/the-white-lodge

The vast majority are around 8"x10" - there are 12 sets, with 5 pieces in each set. There's also one full-size print that is just beautiful:

I had my coworkers grab me two sets and the full-size variant seen above. The gallery is open and all prints are on sale through March 12, after which any remaining prints will be sold online over the coming months. They're also popping up on ebay already: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=mondo+twin+peaks&_sacat=0. But it's probably a good idea to try to get one from the gallery so you're not fighting the hordes of people trying to buy from Mondo's website - that poo poo is always a serious hassle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Clap posted:

Over 60 different Twin Peaks prints are available from Mondo this weekend in Austin, TX.
https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-art-of-greg-ruth-a-twin-peaks-interpretation-gallery-show

They're all created by Greg Ruth, whose Twin Peaks work is loving incredible
https://www.gregthings.com/the-white-lodge

The vast majority are around 8"x10" - there are 12 sets, with 5 pieces in each set. There's also one full-size print that is just beautiful:

I had my coworkers grab me two sets and the full-size variant seen above. The gallery is open and all prints are on sale through March 12, after which any remaining prints will be sold online over the coming months. They're also popping up on ebay already: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=mondo+twin+peaks&_sacat=0. But it's probably a good idea to try to get one from the gallery so you're not fighting the hordes of people trying to buy from Mondo's website - that poo poo is always a serious hassle.

Woooooooooah, those are beautiful :aaaaa:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The Diane podcast has started a deeper dive rewatch. They’re doing an episode recap, then a theme episode, then an episode.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I miss this show so much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

insider posted:

I miss this show so much.
:same: :smith:

I need to do a rewatch of the whole series soon.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I rewatched Dune (theatrical cut) last night and it's nice to see a few familiar faces, including the Lynch cameo.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1112713356698361861

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That’s too hosed up to even joke about.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I thought I felt an earthquake up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
WHAT YEAR IS THIS?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fellas, don't drink that coffee!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife recently watched season 1-2 for the first time because she got tired of hearing me and a mutual friend discuss the return constantly for the last couple years. She loved it (somehow, having no history with it).

I watched the s2 finale and FWWM with her before we started s3 (her first time, my rewatch).

Got to episode 8, the Lynch bullshit starts, she tunes out and gets on her phone and asks me when we're going to find out what happens to Coop.

:negative:

Can't tell if this is a hot take or the right take, but I don't like it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Hmmmm... Loves S2. Bored and on the loving phone in S3E8.

:sever:

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
How could you enjoy FWWM but not s3e8. Does not compute.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

Is it really that strange? As uncomfortable as it can be, FWWM still follows a more traditional narrative structure than S3E8 does. If you're not used to something without a lot of dialogue that focuses on character interaction/development or exposition then S3E8 can feel very alien.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

It's very simple to follow:

This is the water and THIS is the well.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheBizzness posted:

They're absolutely nothing alike.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

plenty of people didn't like s3, they just got shouted out of this thread in particular

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hawowanlawow posted:

plenty of people didn't like s3, they just got shouted out of this thread in particular
I didn't like episode 8, and was accused in this thread of needing keys jangled in front of me for entertainment.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The Merkinman posted:

I didn't like episode 8, and was accused in this thread of needing keys jangled in front of me for entertainment.

I enjoyed episode 8, and also having keys jangled in front of me

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My wife was the same way...she was in it up to Episode 8 and the floor sweeping scene. Then she checked out :( I love her anyway.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the sweeping scene is fine now that I don't have to wait a week between episodes, green onions owns

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's definitely true that the larger mysteries of the Black/White Lodge were more of a backdrop in the original series, and in Season 3 all that became pretty central to almost every storyline. I can understand someone preferring the original formula to the pure uncut Lynch that we got in Season 3.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Whoa, David Lynch made something that not everybody liked? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Volte posted:

Whoa, David Lynch made something that not everybody liked? :monocle:

snark