Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I think it's worth trying, but I think Lab Man is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that extra mana hurts, right? most of my doomsday piles have exactly what they need

Just get exactly what you need plus 1 mana imo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I decided to put together an MtG goon Discord server that's separate from the regular SA Discord server. This way we can implement bots and sub-channels without needing to request any of that from one of the mods of that server.

https://discord.gg/hBvy99

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tundra decks are getting so much love in the upcoming set. I'm looking forward to rounds going 10 minutes past time again. :bang:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
GP CALGARY TOURNAMENT REPORT

Creature (30)
4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Deputy of Detention
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Instant (6)
4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (3)
3 Aether Vial

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
1 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Kataki, Wars Wage
1 Settle The Wreckage
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Worship

GP Calgary

R1 vs bye

R2 vs izzet prowess
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent goes lavamancer, stormchaser, stormchaser wizards lightning. I stabilize at 4 with kira and deputy hitting both stormchaser mages

G2: I finish the game at 2 life after hitting both knight of autumn

R3 vs Bogles
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1 opponent curves bogle into rancor ethereal into coronet and I cannot beat it

G2 I mull to six and keep 1 land aether vial. Opponent has double canopy with bogle rancor ethereal (thankfully no coronet) I have a turn where I can double lord block the bogle and kill it and instead my opponent had spirit mantle for lethal *sad trombone*

R4 vs amulet titan
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I present a clock and my opponent goes swordtooth into titan I have rattlechains and captain. I path the titan that has double strike, flash in a spell queller for no value and then Play Captain for exactly lethal.

G2: my opponent rudely T3’s me with haste double strike titan, even though if I I’d been able to until I would have had the excellent line of phantasmal my own titan and deputy opppnents titan.

G3: opponent keeps a bounceland heavy hand and I have T2 geist into T3 damping sphere with two knights of autumn in hand.

R5 vs mono red burn

G1 t2 geist gets the job done

G2: I mull to 5 before I see lands and never see a sideboard card

G3 I have lords and a clock and I am at 4 with wanderer in play. Opponent taps 3 for exquisite firecraft aaaugh big ol galaxy brain.

R6 vs titanshift
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1 early geist of st Traft and a timely deputy to reset my opponents khalni heart expedition wins me the game

G2 I keep a slow hand with a lot of three drops and my opponent has lots of ramp but no valakut and no titan yet. I swing with chains and selfless. Opponent finally finds a titan while at 7 life and gets valakut and a mountain and pings rattlechains so at end step I vial in a 4/3 knight of autumn and cast a queller for no value. Untap, vial in deputy for titan, and spell queller the opponents bolt.

R7 vs mono white humans
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I start with a T1 vial and my opponent says “today I learned that you can use this on my turn!” Which, okay. Opponent plays a Plains and passes. I cast a supreme phantom and keep wanderer up on vial. Opponent plays a second Plains and casts Gather the townsfolk (real talk why couldn’t I play against these decks all day) I choose not to counter it and vial in wanderer. Long story short I get a clock and my opponent plays a thalia and then the game is over

G2: opponent plays student of warfare and I keep a path up for when he goes for double strike.

R8 vs uw control (win and in for day 2)
Win die roll
Lose 1-2

G1 goes as well as it can. T1 vial, vial in threats. At opponents end step I go for the coco and they go for the cryptic and I vial in queller gg 2ez.

G2 I mull to 6 and keep 3 land 3 creature. Opponent blind flips 2 terminus and by the time T8 comes around I have gone through 13 lands (8 in play, 3 in hand, a horizon canopy and threats in the yard) opponent has active Jace and teferi so I scoop it up

G3 I get my opponent to 4 and he slams a Lyra. I spend 8 turns looking for a path or deputy and never find it *sad trombone*

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Someone else I know also beat the mono-white humans guy (I presume there was only one but hell there could have been dozens I guess). Surprised he was 4-2.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

Someone else I know also beat the mono-white humans guy (I presume there was only one but hell there could have been dozens I guess). Surprised he was 4-2.

That guy was just out for some good clean magic. I even misplayed and let that innistrad common that’s a pacifism on non-humans resolve on my queller when I had a kira in play because I was so confused that someone was playing that card.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

That guy was just out for some good clean magic. I even misplayed and let that innistrad common that’s a pacifism on non-humans resolve on my queller when I had a kira in play because I was so confused that someone was playing that card.

This person is is a real hero, and please say they were playing Gather the Townsfolk and Thraben Doomsayer like my first ever standard deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

This person is is a real hero, and please say they were playing Gather the Townsfolk and Thraben Doomsayer like my first ever standard deck.

Gather yes, did not see a doomsayer

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mezzanon I'm glad you're continuing to beat the Spirits drum because I've had no time to play it in months. Why do you think its meta share has taken a hit? Taking too much damage from your lands to be able to effectively race Phoenix, Dredge and Burn?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

A deck that has never-ending 3/2 flyers is basically impossible to beat. Dredge is good depending on how many Creeping Chills they hit, and burn is bad but winnable.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

A deck that has never-ending 3/2 flyers is basically impossible to beat. Dredge is good depending on how many Creeping Chills they hit, and burn is bad but winnable.

The 3/2 fliers aren’t bad when you have an army of 2/4 or betters. It’s the flipping god TiTi that makes it hard for the deck. But the match is winnable but not favored. Dredge is okay, burn is okay at best.

Spirits dropped off because the top 3 decks are less than 50/50 and spirits is a 50/50 deck. On the upside, the decks that people bring to counter the meta (ad naus, humans, amulet, etc) spirits absolutely dunks on those.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You really think Amulet and Ad Nauseam are good? Ad Nauseam felt ok at best. Basically your only real card game 1 is Wanderer. I'm undefeated against Amulet but it was more of a case of them whiffing than me doing anything.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

You really think Amulet and Ad Nauseam are good? Ad Nauseam felt ok at best. Basically your only real card game 1 is Wanderer. I'm undefeated against Amulet but it was more of a case of them whiffing than me doing anything.

I think spirits is better than humans agains as naus. Wanderer, queller, kira, And deputy are all key cards.

Amulet feels fine as long as you can avoid a T2. With deputy once again being big game.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello, friends. with one week until the NA Legacy GP, there are two orders of business:

1. another roll call now that we're closer to the event. I believe a goon in this thread offered to celebrate the national holiday that is that Saturday
2. tell me which deck to play. the contenders:

UR Delver
4x Delver of Secrets
3x Pteramander
4x Young Peezy
2x True-name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Ponder
2 Chain Lightning
1 Forked Bolt
1 Preordain
1 Spell Pierce
1 Vapor Snag
4 Daze
3 Light up the Stage
4 Force of Will

4 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
3 Volcanic Island
2 Island
1 Mountain
4 Wasteland

//Sideboard
3 Flusterstorm
2 Pyroblast
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Electrickery
1 Hydroblast
1 Shattering Spree
2 Price of Progress
1 Abrade
1 Null Rod
1 Winter Orb

Baby Shops
4 Walking Ballista
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Steel Overseer
3 Vault Skirge
3 Thought-knot Seer
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Traxos, Scourge of Kroog

1 Warping Wail

4 Chalice of the Void
4 Lotus Petal
2 Mox Opal
4 Thorn of Amethyst

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
1 Inventor's Fair
1 Karakas
4 Mishra's Factory
1 Swamp
4 Wasteland
1 Waste

//Sideboard
3 Ratchet Bomb
1 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Dismember
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Karn, Scion of Urza

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

play the good one

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
No clue, but since you've got UR Delver on the mind do you think the new Saheeli has a home there and Young Peezys 5+?
https://scryfall.com/card/war/234/saheeli-sublime-artificer

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I actually like new Saheeli as a storm sideboard card and am eager to try her out.

Grinds well; turns cantrips into clock; can clone an LED; tertiary wincon; makes it so you can cast a less than lethal tendrils and finish off with attackers easily.

I like her for grindy matchups conceptually

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

No clue, but since you've got UR Delver on the mind do you think the new Saheeli has a home there and Young Peezys 5+?
https://scryfall.com/card/war/234/saheeli-sublime-artificer

no but maybe in grixis or some of the slower urx control decks. doing something like turning your baleful strix into another pithing needle or turning your hate piece into a gurmag angler to end the game a turn sooner might be ok

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

play the good one

but they're both tier 0?????

e: quote is not edit

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

no but maybe in grixis or some of the slower urx control decks. doing something like turning your baleful strix into another pithing needle or turning your hate piece into a gurmag angler to end the game a turn sooner might be ok

Wouldn't turning it into a pithing needle do nothing since it wouldn't have gotten a trigger to name a card?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you right. the principle still stands tho

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

you right. the principle still stands tho

It does look really cool. I wonder if there's a durdly combo control deck with multiple artifacts that would be decent with that. A consistent stream of chump blockers and redundant combo pieces maybe? Or maybe some sort of miracles variant that could make use of the ability.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just wanted to share a deck I found that is kinda hilarious/awesome - Boros Reckoner in Modern, featuring Volcano Hellion and Blasphemous Act. The temptation to stop building whatever I'm working on at the moment (currently some kind of Naya Zoo pile) and throw this together instead is MASSIVE.

Deck: Boros Damage Control - Jeff Oppegard (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21235&d=341804&f=MO)

//Main
4 Arid Mesa
4 Clifftop Retreat
1 Flooded Strand
1 Marsh Flats
4 Mountain
5 Plains
3 Sacred Foundry
2 Auriok Champion
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Hazoret the Fervent
1 Spitemare
2 Swans of Bryn Argoll
2 Volcano Hellion
3 Wall of Omens
1 Blasphemous Act
2 Light Up the Stage
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Path to Exile
2 Pyroclasm
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2 Pyrohemia
2 Rest in Peace
2 Worship

//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
3 Blood Moon
1 Boil
1 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Pithing Needle
1 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Wear // Tear

Display deck statistics

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lands got a new land in 2019 And I'm shocked

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Thought I posted this last night but it appears that didn't go through....

I don't remember who posted the original list in here that had the new looting Sarkhan in it, but I've been playing with it for a few weeks and making some tweaks. Well, last night I went 5-0 in a competitive league with this modified version: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1716330#paper

Angrath is the MVP, he has gotten me out of so many tight spots with his minus ability, I'm seriously considering adding a second. I also did another league yesterday and finished 4-1, my only loss was to some random BR Goblins nonsense that drew back to back god hands while I couldn't find any removal, let alone a wrath or a bridge.

It's doing even better now than it was before the pro tour, since I'm seeing even more of babby's first Modern deck (Tron). The Spyglasses in the sideboard have saved me once from a Teferi, but they're really there for Oblivion Stone. Chalice on 1 is also surprisingly brutal against Tron, since it forces them to play off the top of their deck really early. You just really need a Rabblemaster or a Chandra very early there to close out the game, because they never don't just curve out to 6 anyway and drop a Wurmcoil (game 1 that's doable, but I side out the bridges in that matchup because that's really the only creature I care about so it's rough if they land one).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Thought I posted this last night but it appears that didn't go through....

I don't remember who posted the original list in here that had the new looting Sarkhan in it, but I've been playing with it for a few weeks and making some tweaks. Well, last night I went 5-0 in a competitive league with this modified version: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1716330#paper

Angrath is the MVP, he has gotten me out of so many tight spots with his minus ability, I'm seriously considering adding a second. I also did another league yesterday and finished 4-1, my only loss was to some random BR Goblins nonsense that drew back to back god hands while I couldn't find any removal, let alone a wrath or a bridge.

It's doing even better now than it was before the pro tour, since I'm seeing even more of babby's first Modern deck (Tron). The Spyglasses in the sideboard have saved me once from a Teferi, but they're really there for Oblivion Stone. Chalice on 1 is also surprisingly brutal against Tron, since it forces them to play off the top of their deck really early. You just really need a Rabblemaster or a Chandra very early there to close out the game, because they never don't just curve out to 6 anyway and drop a Wurmcoil (game 1 that's doable, but I side out the bridges in that matchup because that's really the only creature I care about so it's rough if they land one).

Heeey, that was me that posted the lists I was working on originally. Glad to see it's working out well. I'm 100% in favor of the rabbles main, I think that's the way to go right now with tron being top dog. Sarkhan seems better when things are slower. I like how clean your list is, have you had any issues running 3 surgical side since you're playing chalice? My inclination was to always run with leylines since they are also turn 0 action and don't clash with other parts of the deck. I usually keep chalice in vs dredge to counter nature's claim/looting anyway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Heeey, that was me that posted the lists I was working on originally. Glad to see it's working out well. I'm 100% in favor of the rabbles main, I think that's the way to go right now with tron being top dog. Sarkhan seems better when things are slower. I like how clean your list is, have you had any issues running 3 surgical side since you're playing chalice? My inclination was to always run with leylines since they are also turn 0 action and don't clash with other parts of the deck. I usually keep chalice in vs dredge to counter nature's claim/looting anyway.

Sometimes, yeah, but the problem was I traded in my Leylines to change to Surgicals in Jund :smith:. I'd absolutely make that switch, I just don't feel like rebuying that poo poo at the moment.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sometimes, yeah, but the problem was I traded in my Leylines to change to Surgicals in Jund :smith:. I'd absolutely make that switch, I just don't feel like rebuying that poo poo at the moment.

I might go back to testing this deck more. I'm torn between eldrazi variants, wanting to try this again, and just playing the UWb control that splashes for kaya again. 2 Dreadbore been good? I was trying a bedevil for multi-function purposes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I might go back to testing this deck more. I'm torn between eldrazi variants, wanting to try this again, and just playing the UWb control that splashes for kaya again. 2 Dreadbore been good? I was trying a bedevil for multi-function purposes.

For every game I miss Bedevil because I want to blow up an O-stone or something, there are 5 games I'm so glad it only costs 2 mana for blowing up an opposing Liliana or Jace or Goyf and I"m short on mana.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

For every game I miss Bedevil because I want to blow up an O-stone or something, there are 5 games I'm so glad it only costs 2 mana for blowing up an opposing Liliana or Jace or Goyf and I"m short on mana.

Makes sense. I'm glad you kept having success with it, post some more or in the discord if you do more or make more changes. I might try it again soon myself. Trying to make decisions on what to take to SCGcon. Have you tried the mono-red prison deck with 4 rabble/4 warboss? Should be a lot better vs things like tron, though I like the black options in this version.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So uh

Miracles with new Narset and Teferi is REALLY strong

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Makes sense. I'm glad you kept having success with it, post some more or in the discord if you do more or make more changes. I might try it again soon myself. Trying to make decisions on what to take to SCGcon. Have you tried the mono-red prison deck with 4 rabble/4 warboss? Should be a lot better vs things like tron, though I like the black options in this version.

I haven't but I like having access to black for Lily and Collective Brutality has been stronger than usual lately. Even against Tron I snag a Sylvan Scrying or an Ancient Stirrings, but it lets me crush Death's Shadow by snagging that Stubborn Denial they ALWAYS have at exactly the right moment. I think going black gives us way more game against some grindier matchups, whereas the mono-red version is very glass cannon all-in design. Very strong against a few decks, but crumbles to some others.

It's my Jund bias. I like feeling like I don't have any truly good or bad matchups and I have something to do every game instead of playing rock paper scissors with pairings.

EDIT: Except Tron and Amulet Titan. 9 times out of 10 they just fold to a turn 3 Blood Moon, let alone turn 1.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Walked posted:

So uh

Miracles with new Narset and Teferi is REALLY strong

Got a list? I'm getting a little bored with lands.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The March Hare posted:

Got a list? I'm getting a little bored with lands.

I've just been watching streams and playing against it.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/legacy-challenge-2019-04-29

AnziD in 3rd place from the Challenge is probably a good starting point, though

Also watched a guy streaming this:
https://imgur.com/a/G7UVksT

Which looks like a hot mess; but it was weirdly good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

New narset is such a bitch to deal with if you are playing blue decks that don't play blast.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Back to maindeck pyroblasts, as Richard Garfield intended

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Narset is a monoblue Leovold but worse

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

Narset is a monoblue Leovold but worse

Can't be hit by Lilianas Triumph and always draws at least one card

So good