Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lol I knew there was a reason I wanted to read her book

e: an own on jorp is a good top of page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My friends!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hello

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't worry JBP will slide his way out of this one the same way he slides out of any awkward situation, by loudly shouting "the scientific literature agrees with me" and citing zero sources.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Just lol if you haven't blocked JBP and muted any mention of him.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Leofish posted:

Just lol if you haven't blocked JBP and muted any mention of him.

Nice self own then?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

jorp is a wonderful nickname for Jay Pee and I will be using it from now on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Boy oh boy I’m glad I listened to the people in here who said the Alberta election is hopeless and we should all just stay home and mire ourselves in the depressive echo chamber that is D&D. It sure looks like this election is completely unwinnable 👀

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ha ha AB libs at 2%

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Finally got one of those andrew scheer fearmongering LIEBERALS texts. Fucker.

Did you know postage to MPs is free

Did you know you can just stuff goatse in an envelope

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

"RIP ROB FORD 1969-2016"

Preferably in papyrus font.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

1500quidpoocati posted:

Boy oh boy I’m glad I listened to the people in here who said the Alberta election is hopeless and we should all just stay home and mire ourselves in the depressive echo chamber that is D&D. It sure looks like this election is completely unwinnable 👀

That’s what they said about Lance Stroll, noted Race Finisher with multiple points!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

InfiniteZero posted:

"RIP ROB FORD 1969-2016"

Preferably in papyrus font.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PT6A posted:

That’s what they said about Lance Stroll, noted Race Finisher with multiple points!

Lance Stroll owns and is a national treasure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

1500quidpoocati posted:

Lance Stroll owns and is a national treasure.

He's certainly improving! Much like the ANDP, he has grown on me.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

1500quidpoocati posted:

Come on, the thread was only incredibly pessimistic. Compared to the usual nihilism unto the apocalypse, that's very positive.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kazinsal posted:

Finally got one of those andrew scheer fearmongering LIEBERALS texts. Fucker.

Did you know postage to MPs is free

Did you know you can just stuff goatse in an envelope

How long before people copy the formatting and direct people to malware or fake donation pages?

"Hey click this link in a text message from a random number"
- the party of fiscal responsibility and brilliant entrepreneurs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Math You posted:

How long before people copy the formatting and direct people to malware or fake donation pages?

"Hey click this link in a text message from a random number"
- the party of fiscal responsibility and brilliant entrepreneurs

Its already happening.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

1500quidpoocati posted:

nice!

now if only my special ballot would show up so I can do my part :smith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hey idiot hell fuckers who say "oh but we live in Canada at least we won't be affected by climate change the way developing countries will" this one's for you

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/02/canada-climate-change-warming-twice-as-fast-report

quote:

Canada warming at twice the global rate, climate report finds
Report by Environment and Climate Change Canada suggests the majority of warming is the result of burning fossil fuels

Canada is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world, a landmark government report has found, warning that drastic action is the only way to avoid catastrophic outcomes.

“The science is clear – Canada’s climate is warming more rapidly than the global average, and this level of warming effectively cannot be changed,” Nancy Hamzawi, assistant deputy minister for science and technology at Environment and Climate Change Canada, told reporters on Monday.

The report, released late on Monday by Environment and Climate Change Canada, paints a grim picture of Canada’s future, in which deadly heatwaves and heavy rainstorms become a common occurrence. Forty-three government scientists and academics authored the peer-reviewed report.

While global temperatures have increased 0.8C since 1948, Canada has seen an increase of 1.7C – more than double the global average.

And in the Arctic, the warming is happening at a much faster rate of 2.3C, the report says.

While the increased warming in the Arctic is not yet fully understood, snow and ice play a critical role in reflecting the sun’s radiation and heat. But scientists say the retreat of glaciers and disappearing sea ice both contribute to a feedback loop of warming, which is one of the factors contributing to Canada’s disproportionate temperature increase.

The report suggests the majority of warming felt in Canada and around the globe is the result of burning fossil fuels.

Canada has already pledged to cut emissions by 200m tonnes by 2030 – a cornerstone of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s national climate strategy – largely through a federally mandated carbon tax and shuttering coal-fired plants.

Despite the urgency of the report, Canada remains mired in a political battle over climate policy.

Trudeau has pushed for a national carbon pricing strategy, and on Monday the federal government imposed the tax on four provinces that refuse to implement one. Conservative politicians have pledged to remove the tax if they win this fall’s general election, arguing that it is too much of a burden for Canadians.

But under the current plan, households will receive rebate cheques from the federal government to offset any added expenses from the tax – meaning costs to the average consumer are negligible.

The report makes clear that Canada faces markedly different outcomes, depending on the policies it chooses to reduce emissions.

Under a scenario in which global emissions are dramatically reduced, average temperatures will rise only 3C across the country by 2100, including the Arctic region.

But if countries – including Canada – fail to act aggressively, increases of 7-9 degrees are likely, and the Arctic faces the prospect of 11 degrees of warming.

Under the report’s worst-case scenario, the risk of deadly heatwaves increases tenfold bring with it droughts and forest fires. Western Canada has already grappled with two years of record forest fire seasons. The risk of major rain events also doubles, meaning cities will be inundated with catastrophic urban flooding.

Access to critical sources of fresh water will also be constrained, due in large part to reduced winter snowfall, which in turn becomes a source of clean water when the snowpack melts.

Many of the previously documented effects – melting permafrost, disappearing sea ice and glacial retreat – are only set to intensify in the coming years.

“We are already seeing the effects of widespread warming in Canada,” said Elizabeth Bush, a climate science adviser at Environment Canada, told reporters. “It’s clear, the science supports the fact that adapting to climate change is an imperative. Urgent action is needed to reduce emissions.”

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Hey idiot hell fuckers who say "oh but we live in Canada at least we won't be affected by climate change the way developing countries will" this one's for you

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/02/canada-climate-change-warming-twice-as-fast-report

That seems like great news, our nice developed nation is taking one for the team so those poorer equatorial and southern hemispheric nations that don't have enough funds to handle it properly won't be hit as bad. Thank you for the heartwarming share vyelkin.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
We call it Climate Sharing, and we think you're going to love it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/mario_canseco/status/1113121595428499456

So three pollsters showing roughly the same thing, though two of the pollsters are sketchy.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
It just means there's plenty of hockey left. :)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Close elections should be decided by 5 minutes of overtime followed by a shootout.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

eXXon posted:

Close elections should be decided by 5 minutes of overtime followed by a shootout.

I miss when elections ended in ties :(

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Syfe posted:

I knew I wanted to post this picture when I saw it.

I can't really tell them apart. :shrug:
I don't know why James Corden was running for the UCP, but I don't like it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It seems like that Jason Kenney is a toxic presence on top of an otherwise toxic party, so we may be heading for a perfect storm Roy Moore scenario where the NDP can steal another election out from under the noses of the scumbags.

I think a lot will come down to how much mileage Rachel Notley can make in the debates on the unlikeable Jason Kenney, and as weird as it is to say hopefully Stephen Mandel can come across alright and leach some more votes from the UCP. From talking to a lot of my friends and co-workers that run in UCP circles it sounds like the Alberta Party is actually a somewhat attractive proposition to the people that are conservative but have some shame about the horrible regressive social policies that come with the UCP.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Maneck posted:

Nice self own then?

HOISTED BY MY OWN PETARD!

Now then, the trailing Alberta Party have a new idea called, "we don't know how taxes work."

https://twitter.com/andrew_leach/status/1113167534381862912

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Leofish posted:

HOISTED BY MY OWN PETARD!

Now then, the trailing Alberta Party have a new idea called, "we don't know how taxes work."

https://twitter.com/andrew_leach/status/1113167534381862912

AB would just be paying a ministry to collect GST to send back to Ottawa. Pure LOL

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You guys understand that they get to hold onto those tax funds until the final tax deadline when they have to remit it to the feds and garner interest revenue off it right? Like there’s a reason Quebec does this and it’s not just to have a laugh, it’s a profit line that would mean we would have to collect less tax revenue....

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Surely that would be offset by the cost of administration? Additional employees, etc

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Starsfan posted:

It seems like that Jason Kenney is a toxic presence on top of an otherwise toxic party, so we may be heading for a perfect storm Roy Moore scenario where the NDP can steal another election out from under the noses of the scumbags.

I think a lot will come down to how much mileage Rachel Notley can make in the debates on the unlikeable Jason Kenney, and as weird as it is to say hopefully Stephen Mandel can come across alright and leach some more votes from the UCP. From talking to a lot of my friends and co-workers that run in UCP circles it sounds like the Alberta Party is actually a somewhat attractive proposition to the people that are conservative but have some shame about the horrible regressive social policies that come with the UCP.
I'm sporting a half-chub rn, the debates will determine if my election erection becomes a full blown hardon

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

brucio posted:

Surely that would be offset by the cost of administration? Additional employees, etc

You’re talking about holding holding onto 25% of everyone’s gross salary for up to a year. Health insurers make a profit off a far smaller slice of that with Dental insurance. There’s absolutely money in doing that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hey, you're right. Maybe it's more progressive than I thought because perhaps Alberta would then need its own sales tax.

https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/1113170165116440577

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

1500quidpoocati posted:

You guys understand that they get to hold onto those tax funds until the final tax deadline when they have to remit it to the feds and garner interest revenue off it right? Like there’s a reason Quebec does this and it’s not just to have a laugh, it’s a profit line that would mean we would have to collect less tax revenue....

By my reading of the tax collection agreement, the feds send the provinces the amount deducted at the source that they're approximately entitled to ~every week. Do you know if that's wrong?

My impression was that Québec has their own revenue agency not because it makes financial sense, but because it's a consensus in Québec that the province shouldn't cede its jurisdictions either in law or in fact.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

By my reading of the tax collection agreement, the feds send the provinces the amount deducted at the source that they're approximately entitled to ~every week. Do you know if that's wrong?

My impression was that Québec has their own revenue agency not because it makes financial sense, but because it's a consensus in Québec that the province shouldn't cede its jurisdictions either in law or in fact.

I honestly am not 100% certain and it might just be GST, it’s been a long time since I’ve looked at tax accounting but my general impression with the Quebec set up was that they got to hold the cash for certain tax revenues and only remit it when due. I mean really it’s something you can do that yourself if you fill out your tax forms so you don’t remit it and just bank it till it’s due and pay the tax then. It’s just incredibly inconvenient and not worth the time.

Honestly I think it’s a dumb idea but it’s a starting point for a conversation on why is Quebec allowed to do this. If you are making interest off federal tax revenue it should be to the benefit of all Canadians and not just your province.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/puglaas/status/1113195427992616960?s=21

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'll believe it when she gives us the recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
I hope this scandal goes down in history as a case study in Applied Damage Control for Morons.