Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1113107194428391426

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pook Good Mook posted:

Is there any talk of bringing back the Shilling during this glorious return to Empire?

I seem to recall that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Prime minister Statement will deliver brexit eh wot innit

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

PM is gonna walk out with Nicks head.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"please please please pass my lovely deal, what do you want"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You have to pass my deal because I'm the mommy, and children must do what mommy says.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You have to pass my deal because I'm the mommy, and children must do what mommy says.

I hope she says that. She's already descending into loving madness, might as well go full on disconnect from reality and get herself sectioned.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1113119787624923137?s=19

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"please please please pass my lovely deal, what do you want"

"Who will rid me of this turbulent parliament?"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

penny mordaunt seems like a name from a really poo poo satirical novel from around 1880

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Non Sense! As a Pensioner (Who has Never Been on the Dole!) I Recall so Now listen children. Once upon a Time, there were Pounds, Shillings, and Pence. The symbol for pence was 'd' from the Latin 'denarius' AND SO There were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings in a pound, making 240 pennies in a, pound. Back in Those Days you could buy real objects for a few pence such as the Vaunted English Breakfast. Useful  amounts such as 1/8 pounds were expressed as 2 shillings and sixpence, and written as 2/6 Also known as  half a Crown. Children learned to Add and Subtract different values of the coin of the realm. BUT you had to convert pence to shillings or vice versa or such like.

It was also hard to compute decimal fractions or percentages of pounds. There were 3d bits, 6d bits etc.  there were fractions of penniesc such as one 1/2, and 1/4 (known as a farthing)

In 1971 ONLY a few Years After the UK joined the EU (Which was Merely a Trade Bloc at that time), the UKingdom converted to a decimal system. There were 100 'new pennies', abbreviated to 'p' in a pound. Coins that were no longer compatible were phased out. Goodbye to 1d, 3d, half a  crown. A shilling worth with 1/20 pounds, i.e. 5p. 5p coins were moved and were the same shape and size as the shillings. Sixpenny bits were useful and so even though they were 2 1/2p they were  kept around for a while. Which All in All was a loss of British identity And Shows

this is a mobile fish n chips stand, mate

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Labour owns

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what the gently caress was the point of that statement

"i am happy to chat to labour" - two days after brexit was originally 'planned' to happen

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what the gently caress was the point of brexit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what the gently caress was the point of that statement

"i am happy to chat to labour" - two days after brexit was originally 'planned' to happen

someone doesnt want herself/her party to take the entirety of the blame when there is not in fact adequate food

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

let's vote on how you're all going to suck my dick
<dick sucking motion defeated by historic margin>
lets change the paragraph spacing and try that again
<fails again>
one more time
<fails>
We are in crisis. I'm willing to come together with the opposition to talk about how they are going to suck my dick.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
sometimes the UK manages to be dumber than the US thanks for that

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Labour should just shout gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME, from their side of the commons.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

An insane mind posted:

Labour should just shout gently caress YOU THE HONOURABLE LADY I WON'T DO WHAT YOU SHE TELLS ME, from their side of the commons.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

prefect posted:

It could be a mutated form of "potato".

i would have guessed something related to butter or dairy, by way of teats or "ta-tas"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hentai Jihadist posted:

What do you think of when I say "cor, those are some proper neeps and tatties she's got!!"

see above

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/ReutersUK/status/1113131601532276736?s=19

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doc Hawkins posted:

i would have guessed something related to butter or dairy, by way of teats or "ta-tas"

You're definitely the superior british-adjacent-speaker. :tipshat:

(Don't get me started on cockney rhyming slang. It makes me so mad.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

macron rip the bandaid off

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

I hope that this is the moment that the EU goes no. No more.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

EU should just shout gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME from their side of the pond.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Didn't the EU say there could only be a longer delay if something changed?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
All that voting and all the talking all weekend and THIS IS WHAT THEY COME UP WITH

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

prefect posted:

*Theresa May changes document margins from narrow to wide.,*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They have completely run out of ideas. They have no options

This is total and utter paralysis

is there ANY historical precedent for this?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Non Sense! As a Pensioner (Who has Never Been on the Dole!) I Recall so Now listen children. Once upon a Time, there were Pounds, Shillings, and Pence. The symbol for pence was 'd' from the Latin 'denarius' AND SO There were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings in a pound, making 240 pennies in a, pound. Back in Those Days you could buy real objects for a few pence such as the Vaunted English Breakfast. Useful  amounts such as 1/8 pounds were expressed as 2 shillings and sixpence, and written as 2/6 Also known as  half a Crown. Children learned to Add and Subtract different values of the coin of the realm. BUT you had to convert pence to shillings or vice versa or such like.

It was also hard to compute decimal fractions or percentages of pounds. There were 3d bits, 6d bits etc.  there were fractions of penniesc such as one 1/2, and 1/4 (known as a farthing)

In 1971 ONLY a few Years After the UK joined the EU (Which was Merely a Trade Bloc at that time), the UKingdom converted to a decimal system. There were 100 'new pennies', abbreviated to 'p' in a pound. Coins that were no longer compatible were phased out. Goodbye to 1d, 3d, half a  crown. A shilling worth with 1/20 pounds, i.e. 5p. 5p coins were moved and were the same shape and size as the shillings. Sixpenny bits were useful and so even though they were 2 1/2p they were  kept around for a while. Which All in All was a loss of British identity And Shows

This is what it feels like to read about the US Imperial system for literally anyone else in the world(except for Myanmar IRC). Every single moment you just ask yourself whhyyyyyy whyyyyyyy are you still using this insane convoluted garbage in the year of our lord 20019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Squizzle posted:

macron rip the bandaid off

Finally, the Frenchman ascends victorious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

prefect posted:

no there can only be a delay if her deal gets passed or something resembling a deal anyway. that or calling a GE

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Opferwurst posted:

This is what it feels like to read about the US Imperial system for literally anyone else in the world(except for Myanmar IRC). Every single moment you just ask yourself whhyyyyyy whyyyyyyy are you still using this insane convoluted garbage in the year of our lord 20019

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I like it. :rant:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

They have completely run out of ideas. They have no options

This is total and utter paralysis

is there ANY historical precedent for this?

Hitler ordering army group Steiner to lift the siege of Berlin

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

quote:

“Today I am taking action to break the logjam. I am offering to sit down with the leader of the opposition and to try to agree a plan that we would both stick to ensure that we leave the European Union and that we do so with a deal.”

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Her idea of "agreeing to a plan" is "everybody, do what I say". :psyduck:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress yeah, EU elections here we come. This is going to be really interesting to watch. I hope a literal clown runs for parliament

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

europe should take over failed state uk and install a caretaker govt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

maybe ? it’s in like 9 days? 11 days ?

I guess we should start thinking about a plan of some sort?