Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it's so adorable when people get mad at "this" capitalism or "current" capitalism or "crony" capitalism

honey, it's just capitalism, and it's a system as natural, just, and permanent as the divine right of kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Harrow posted:

Why wouldn't they just use Inquisition's engine? They already solved a bunch of Dragon Age-specific problems with that particular "branch" of Frostbite--why would you suddenly pivot to the much more broken Anthem one? What the hell?

It was a management decision

quote:

From the beginning, Anthem’s senior leadership had made the decision to start from scratch for a large part of the game’s technology rather than using all of the systems the company had built for Inquisition and Andromeda. Part of this may have been a desire to stand out from those other teams, but another explanation was simple: Anthem was online. The other games were not.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I understand how someone would devote their entire business to chasing that lootbox dragon if all they cared about is money, but do they honestly not realize they're just peddling slot machines at this point? Does morality play any part in their decisions?

Lol, of course morality doesn't play any part, they're immoral shitstains trying to squeeze out as much blood as they can before the music stops.

There is no such thing as ethical gaming under capitalism

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Idealistic it may be, but I genuinely believe the future of capitalism is simply a shift from a short term view to a long term view. Corporations are slowly beginning to figure this out, extremely slowly and cynically, but they are starting to do so.

And I'd rather be naive and idealistic than some jaded person who simply shrugs and goes lol capitalism.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pnumoman posted:

Idealistic it may be, but I genuinely believe the future of capitalism is simply a shift from a short term view to a long term view. Corporations are slowly beginning to figure this out, extremely slowly and cynically, but they are starting to do so.

no they aren't

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cowcaster posted:

no they aren't

okay

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pnumoman posted:

The last 150 years of history are a remarkable refutation of this assertion.

It's quite literally been going the other direction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tei posted:

It was a management decision

No, I'm talking about for the next Dragon Age. The article mentions that they're going to use the Anthem codebase for Dragon Age 4--I'm wondering why they would do that instead of using the Inquisition one for that case.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Harrow posted:

No, I'm talking about for the next Dragon Age. The article mentions that they're going to use the Anthem codebase for Dragon Age 4--I'm wondering why they would do that instead of using the Inquisition one for that case.

maybe you can fly on a griffin or something

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Harrow posted:

So they can impress the next exec with cool graphics.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no way that Dragon Age 4 comes out

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Anthem dragon age mashup game

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Harrow posted:

because if DA4 actually happens, it will be an online-enabled game more in the vein of Anthem so it makes more sense to use the platform of the game that does always-online rather than brute forcing that into the Inquisition platform

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Asema posted:

Kill Bioware to free the employees of their shackles so that they might move on to better jobs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

get ready for a spike in lame memes, positive-titled screenshots and astroturfing attempts on the anthem reddit!!!

Take your pick

quote:

In this moment I’m posting as a player and member of this community, not as a Mod of this subreddit.

It saddens me to hear that the expectations and culture in BioWare was so bad that employees had to find privacy to cry or go on extended breaks for their mental well being. No job should be like that, especially not a job in which you’re trying to create enjoyment for millions. This culture those persists outside of game development and extends to every career, job, and walk of life. Just look at the increasing rate of drug abuse, addiction, mass shootings, and suicides. These are all caused at least in part by the stressors we place upon our society.

I’m going to stick with Anthem, not because the game is perfect and without flaw, but because those employees who put themselves through mental and physical hell to get this game out deserve as much. They deserve the chance to see their sacrifice pay off, and if sticking with the game helps realize that, then I’ll play my small part.

quote:

Oh, man. I feel for the developers who worked so hard on Anthem, I really do.

What really broke my heart was the bit about DA:I. I love that game. I love that series. I figured DA:I had crunch behind it like every other AAA game, but hearing about how much DA:I contributed to the cycles of exhaustion and burnout at BioWare was eye-opening and depressing.

Also, considering how much time Anthem spent in actual production, it's a hell of a game :) Getting functional flight would've been impressive in 2 years. Getting amazing, fun, dynamic flight is a marvel.

quote:

That's the best game under 18 months i've ever played !! The whole article just gave me hope and motivation to play and wait for fixes and patches. Go team !

quote:

Absolutely. It's clear to me the developers did everything they could to make Anthem amazing. A lot of the issues the game has had and currently has are due to the devs being rushed, having to work with a difficult engine, and having to restart too close to launch.

That being said, I really like the game and I'm proud of what they accomplished. making GBS threads on the devs after reading this article is like making GBS threads on a worker who is trying their best but they produce a messed up product because their boss rushed them and didn't give them the tools they needed to succeed. I see EA as failing Bioware.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Asema posted:

I feel there's a 35% chance DA4 gets made and it's Bioware's last shot before EA cans it, 25% chance DA4 is in development up 'till 2021 but gets cancelled and Bioware is shut down, and a 40% chance that EA just shuts down Bioware sometime in the next fiscal year.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Take your pick

all disgusting but this one:

quote:

That's the best game under 18 months i've ever played !! The whole article just gave me hope and motivation to play and wait for fixes and patches. Go team !

should be a felony

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I feel there's a 35% chance DA4 gets made and it's Bioware's last shot before EA cans it, 25% chance DA4 is in development up 'till 2021 but gets cancelled and Bioware is shut down, and a 40% chance that EA just shuts down Bioware sometime in the next fiscal year.

I can't make heads or tails of these probabilities, someone give me the Bioware Needle.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Legs Benedict posted:

because if DA4 actually happens, it will be an online-enabled game more in the vein of Anthem so it makes more sense to use the platform of the game that does always-online rather than brute forcing that into the Inquisition platform

It will be a FIFA/DA crossover, forcing you to spend a fortune on loot boxes to get Wizard-Ronaldo.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Hammerstein posted:

It will be a FIFA/DA crossover, forcing you to spend a fortune on loot boxes to get Wizard-Ronaldo.

wizaldo?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Waldo

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

maybe you can fly on a griffin or something

After 10 seconds, your griffin's lactic acid meter fills up and you both plummet to the ground. You'll then need to water and rest your legendary companion, before taking off to the skies once again. But not too high - if you try to fly above a certain height, your griffin will be afflicted with vertigo and you'll gradually lose height until you decrease altitude enough to re-acclimate your noble steed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skull Knight posted:

After 10 seconds, your griffin's lactic acid meter fills up and you both plummet to the ground. You'll then need to water and rest your legendary companion, before taking off to the skies once again. But not too high - if you try to fly above a certain height, your griffin will be afflicted with vertigo and you'll gradually lose height until you decrease altitude enough to re-acclimate your noble steed.

gently caress

make sure to stay in your Griffin, the Magic Radiation of this area is too high, pathfinder

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just finished reading that article. Yeesh, it was basically thisisfine.png, guest starring “Frostbite is a Piece of poo poo Pt. 3”

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
fun fact about that article: it accurately summarized everything wrong with game development. every EA studio is like this. Every studio i got to work in is rife with mental illness, depression, and anxiety. but if youre a manager youre fine because you get paid 5x more for no reason

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Siljmonster posted:

fun fact about that article: it accurately summarized everything wrong with game development. every EA studio is like this. Every studio i got to work in is rife with mental illness, depression, and anxiety. but if youre a manager youre fine because you get paid 5x more for no reason

:smith: How do you fix this? There must be some that are decent / aren't riddled with this much toxicity. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skull Knight posted:

:smith: How do you fix this? There must be some that are decent / aren't riddled with this much toxicity. :smith:

Unionize.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skull Knight posted:

Unionize. Fire the bosses. Build actual structure to your development process and build something that doesnt need to impress a loving executive in another office in another part of the world.

The people making video games are all either extremely overworked and mentally ill because of it, or never do any actual work and thus cause the former to go nuts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pnumoman posted:

uh companies aren't figuring this out at all. The new CFO at Activision got a $15 million dollar paycheck at the low low cost of 800 plebian jobs. Do you think he's learned that he should be a more compassionate businessman? EA makes $gently caress you every quarter because of a deliberately predatory business model in a single franchise. They clearly haven't learned that's wrong. A former US presidential candidate and current senator literally made a new fortune on top of the one he inherited by buying businesses, sucking them dry, and dropping their carcasses in the dust.

The present and future of capitalism is a roaming executive class devouring consumers and cannibalizing companies all in pursuit of an extra 1% growth on their bank accounts every fiscal year.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Take your pick

lmao, look at all this employee abuse. let's spend money on the game to encourage that!!!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gamers are killing game developers and its hilarious

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skull Knight posted:

:smith: How do you fix this?

You don't. Don't work in any industry that 20 year olds are willing to grind themselves to dust at in order to "make it". Dont participate or follow the constant hype of the mega studios next thing. Pray for a videogame crash

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

quote:

That being said, I really like the game and I'm proud of what they accomplished.

I'm sure everyone on the dev team is super happy that some random redditor is proud of what they accomplished.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

Dragon Age: Inquisition
- Significant problems working with Frostbite, as the engine was not built for this kind of game
- Stuck in preproduction hell
- Final product was rushed under extreme crunch

Mass Effect: Andromeda
- Significant problems working with Frostbite, as the engine was not built for this kind of game

Anthem

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Skull Knight posted:

Play Dead Cells or Night in the Woods and think hard about whether you want to support anything you see at a big E3 or GDC presentation. Big games are in a real rough place from a "is this produced in any sort of reasonable way" standpoint.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Skull Knight posted:

Kill the bosses and claim collective ownership over the computers

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Siljmonster posted:

Unionize. Fire the bosses. Build actual structure to your development process and build something that doesnt need to impress a loving executive in another office in another part of the world.

The people making video games are all either extremely overworked and mentally ill because of it, or never do any actual work and thus cause the former to go nuts.

Just curious - are there any active studios that either are unionized or were able to successfully unionize and actively developing new games?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asema posted:

I'm starting to think it actually might. It will be the product of a 10-12 month poorly directed crunch, be barebones & buggy as hell and be the shovel of dirt on the Bioware coffin as EA kicks it into a shallow grave.

I look forward to the "Why Dragon Age 4 failed so badly Bioware closed down" articles & YouTube videos.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Ben Kuchera tries to convince BioWare that the press is not their enemy:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/2/18292304/bioware-press-response-anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I'm starting to think it actually might. It will be the product of a 10-12 month poorly directed crunch, be barebones & buggy as hell and be the shovel of dirt on the Bioware coffin as EA kicks it into a shallow grave.

I look forward to the "Why Dragon Age 4 failed so badly Bioware closed down" articles & YouTube videos.

Dragon Age 4 will definitely be an MMO, but the new kind of MMO that swaps tedious grinding, stupid attunement systems and hundreds of players in the same area with tedious grinding, microtransactions and 2 - 6 players in the same area.

So, Inquisition but this time Sera's awkward lines are deafened by a 13-year-old from the other side of the world spouting memes at you, a slight improvement