Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think that if you live in the building, or like within 500 feet, then go ahead and rent out that room at a fair price.

Though a co-op is better if you can manage it. Have you considered having friends, and inviting your friends to live with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Excalibur posted:

Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

Wow, you're a parasite! Get a real job.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Excalibur posted:

Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

You should buy it and gift it to the tenants on the condition they form a co-op.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Excalibur posted:

This is the kind of creative thinking I was looking for. I'm not sure I would live in the building myself since it's in a "gentrifying" not "gentrified" neighborhood, but it looks like other family members can qualify in my region. But yeah good call on consulting an attorney to make sure it's all legal - I wouldn't want to go through all that only to lose to a tenant like that in court. Bonus value that the family member would learn the value of hard work from their own sacrifice versus them just inheriting it down the road without ever contributing to the building themself.
"hard work"

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.
April 1st and you’d think you leftist shits would get the joke. And all I got was this catchy title.

Public housing or coops are not attractive options for most tenants (at least in the US). What if a tenant can’t afford or doesn’t want to buy in when it’s converted to a coop? Many coops are poorly managed and financial pitfalls for owners. At the end of the day, the vast majority of tenants want a semi-professional landlord who is incentivized to maintain or even improve a building.

IRL actually being a good landlord is difficult and involves hard work. It’s also not super lucrative unless you’re over leveraged, doing illegal poo poo, or working at massive scale (and then you run into financial disasters). drat, go protest in front of Blackstone or something and leave this place alone.

Oh yeah in order to be a good landlord it also helps to have other experienced landlords and resources to turn to. Way to gently caress this place up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Literally nothing you said applies to coops anymore than it does to privately owned rentals. It's just like why a bank is inherently worse than a credit union. In both cases they can be run poorly, but in one you have some third party whose interests only occasionally align with your own loving with your money.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Excalibur posted:

Oh yeah in order to be a good landlord it also helps to have other experienced landlords and resources to turn to. Way to gently caress this place up.

evict me then bish.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Excalibur posted:

What if a tenant can’t afford or doesn’t want to buy in when it’s converted to a coop?

Lower the price until they can.

Excalibur posted:

being a good landlord is difficult and involves hard work

Like cops and parking guards. There are no good landlords.

And who are you calling Leftist!?

Edit: Contributed to Lowtax spine by getting you guys an ad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Excalibur posted:

At the end of the day, the vast majority of tenants want a semi-professional landlord who is incentivized to maintain or even improve a building.

IRL actually being a good landlord is difficult and involves hard work. It’s also not super lucrative

This is so painful close to "getting it" like all the pieces are just sitting there, sadly unconnected.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
What happened to this thread? Who are all these people?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Communists from DnD, who are apparently unaware that they too are allowed to buy property if they want to.

If you hate your landlord so much just buy a house. It's not like the entire concept of leasing a home is going to go away in your lifetimes.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Droo posted:

Communists from DnD, who are apparently unaware that they too are allowed to buy property if they want to.

If you hate your landlord so much just buy a house. It's not like the entire concept of leasing a home is going to go away in your lifetimes.

"If you don't like the effects over people competing over market share of maintained housing, just join in and start competing" :smuggo:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Ruzihm posted:

"If you don't like the effects over people competing over market share of maintained housing, just join in and start competing" :smuggo:

Yes... like if a fat guy with no job who lived with his parents was complaining that he couldn't find anyone who wanted to date him everyone would tell him to get a better job, move out and get in shape. "Compete over market share" as you put it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol if you don't have any money just earn some what's the problem dude

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Droo posted:

Yes... like if a fat guy with no job who lived with his parents was complaining that he couldn't find anyone who wanted to date him everyone would tell him to get a better job, move out and get in shape. "Compete over market share" as you put it.

In this analogy poor working class families are the fat guy right? And going to the gym is like.... Put the children to work or what?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

Please give advice on how to compete in a market where multinational corporations and the idle rich have bought all housing stock and property values start at more than 3.5X my annual income.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Droo posted:

Communists from DnD

what the gently caress

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Droo posted:

Weird notions. I am against private health insurance, but I have it, because it's the only kind I can get.

Droo posted:

This is unclear. Do you regard sex partners as a commodity, or private property?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Katt posted:

Like cops and parking guards. There are no good landlords.
Ahh but you're forgetting dead landlords!

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Droo posted:

:wrong: capitalism is dying within my lifetime with 100% certainty.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Ahh but you're forgetting dead landlords!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bryter posted:

what the gently caress

Hi :ussr:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Pibur posted:

Please give advice on how to compete in a market where multinational corporations and the idle rich have bought all housing stock and property values start at more than 3.5X my annual income.

Learn new skills and network to try and improve your income, and move to a lower cost of living area that will provide a better overall quality of life. Now you tell me how rage posting on the internet is going to help you compete in the world we are all stuck in, and essentially powerless to change?

The main problem here seems to be that you all reflexively lash out at anyone who has a practical approach to modern life because you assume they disagree with you. Most BFC people seem generally progressive and liberal and would support more universal healthcare type programs, but we also live in the real world where you need money to buy things.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The thread is essentially being shitted up by a couple of dudes who are equating small-time nobody landlords with Kushner Properties and really changing the world by sticking it to folks with material questions about material things on the internet.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Something Offal posted:

We've been told to post in the free speech zone over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885970&pagenumber=26&perpage=40

edit: quoted the wrong person

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 3, 2019

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

Learn new skills and network to try and improve your income, and move to a lower cost of living area that will provide a better overall quality of life. Now you tell me how rage posting on the internet is going to help you compete in the world we are all stuck in, and essentially powerless to change?

The main problem here seems to be that you all reflexively lash out at anyone who has a practical approach to modern life because you assume they disagree with you. Most BFC people seem generally progressive and liberal and would support more universal healthcare type programs, but we also live in the real world where you need money to buy things.

Mmmm yes, "give up on where you live". I do earn a competitive 6 figure wage, but the housing market is still gamed by jabronis like you lot looking to make a quick buck rather than allow for people to live within their own means. One bed condos go for more then 500K in my area, but that's my fault for living in the wrong place where my job is that I enjoy because it allows me to help people while applying the skills I have learned.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Droo posted:

Believe or not a fair number of us filthy commies do own our own homes. You don't have to be currently exploited by the system to realize it's exploitative and disproportionately fucks the poor.

Excalibur posted:

April 1st and you’d think you leftist shits would get the joke. And all I got was this catchy title.

Public housing or coops are not attractive options for most tenants (at least in the US). What if a tenant can’t afford or doesn’t want to buy in when it’s converted to a coop? Many coops are poorly managed and financial pitfalls for owners. At the end of the day, the vast majority of tenants want a semi-professional landlord who is incentivized to maintain or even improve a building.

IRL actually being a good landlord is difficult and involves hard work. It’s also not super lucrative unless you’re over leveraged, doing illegal poo poo, or working at massive scale (and then you run into financial disasters). drat, go protest in front of Blackstone or something and leave this place alone.

Yeah, except that's not actually true it's just that they are more regional in the states (75% housing in manhattan is co-ops). Lots of them are hard to buy into because they often want larger down payments though if you are lucky you can get into an HDFC co-op as a low income person. There's usually a mile long waiting list or lottery whenever these "unattractive options" open up so good luck. Lmao if you think people running a co-op aren't "incentivized to maintain or even improve a building". They live there. Some of them will suck or have properties in distress, just like a condo board or any old HOA could.

Most people don't want a loving landlord and you are deluding yourself if you think they do. The poorer and younger you are, the less likely you are to own because it's not financially feasible.

"Ah yes, people love the valuable service provided by landlords and don't get out of being bilked by some rear end in a top hat as they are able to."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You don't have to be currently exploited by the system to realize it's exploitative and disproportionately fucks the poor.

You do need empathy though, which is not one of the traits goons are known for.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

osker posted:

The thread is essentially being shitted up by a couple of dudes who are equating small-time nobody landlords with Kushner Properties and really changing the world by sticking it to folks with material questions about material things on the internet.

No one in here thinks the two are equivalent in scale and power. On that same note, no one in here thinks that not having that scale and power makes any of y'alls bullshit any more palatable, or that it absolves from the actual real exploitation that goes on in y'alls pursuit of profit. You can project "hur dur commies dont know finance" or "hur dur commies need to work out and accept their lot in life" but that's all very much a non-sequitur from the actual issues at hand (the issue at hand is expunging landlord mindset)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

We have been made aware that the named tenant of this thread, TouchyMcFeely, has not lived here for at least 1 year.

THIS THREAD SHALL BE DEEMED ABANDONED UNLESS WE RECEIVE WRITTEN PROOF OF OCCUPANCY BY THE NAMED TENANT FOR THIS THREAD WITHIN 7 DAYS.

Additionally, we have been made aware of an attempt to sublet following an extension to this thread where no alterations request has been submitted

It is the intent of this organisation to rehouse the tenants from the sublet to this thread unless written proof noted above is provided by the deadline. If written proof is provided it shall be the named tenant's responsibility to rehouse each tenant within a reasonable timeframe.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

No one in here thinks the two are equivalent in scale and power. On that same note, no one in here thinks that not having that scale and power makes any of y'alls bullshit any more palatable, or that it absolves from the actual real exploitation that goes on in y'alls pursuit of profit. You can project "hur dur commies dont know finance" or "hur dur commies need to work out and accept their lot in life" but that's all very much a non-sequitur from the actual issues at hand (the issue at hand is expunging landlord mindset)

You are making an assumption about the mindset and motivation of everyone here. I am an engineer who has very purposely moved away from residential work with the big developers because that poo poo fucks your soul up and moved towards cultural and infrastructure work "for the common good."

making GBS threads up the thread with clever posts asking how to evict or avoid providing heat are in bad faith and clearly misinformed because you literally cant do that poo poo without flaunting (often inadequate) laws and being a raging rear end in a top hat.

The fact is that renting is a necessity. I have been posted on projects overseas and throughout the states and it is great to show up and get an apartment for a year or two and then move on without a care in the world.

Also, there is a guide dog in my household and can attest to everyone that coops and their boards can suck my whole dick.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Katt posted:

In this analogy poor working class families are the fat guy right? And going to the gym is like.... Put the children to work or what?

take out a big loan as your starter capital and if you can't stay ahead of your debt, kill yourself. It's the roguelike way of life.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Droo posted:

Tell us more about how the disabled and the mentally ill should abandon their entire support network and move to the other side of the country or how someone should save up to buy a house when they're on a minimum wage zero-hour contract :allears:

You're scum.

osker posted:

The fact is that renting is a necessity. I have been posted on projects overseas and throughout the states and it is great to show up and get an apartment for a year or two and then move on without a care in the world.

If only there was a way to provide a rental housing service where the money stayed in public hands to be reinvested back into public services :thunkher:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

where do you live that it's only 3.5x? That's pretty good in today's market.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

where do you live that it's only 3.5x? That's pretty good in today's market.

I, admittedly, have a higher than average income, but even then that's 3.5X for, like, 1 bed condos not a single family home.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

I, admittedly, have a higher than average income.

then buy a house?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

then buy a house?

You got ~100K for a down payment unless I want to have a 3K mortgage payment?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

You got ~100K for a down payment unless I want to have a 3K mortgage payment?

I do, in fact. I saved until I had 100k in liquid cash to purchase a home in an area with a 4x salary-to-house ratio.

You guys need to get into local politics. A lot of the hosed up housing problems are created by very short-sighted policies at the city or county level. For example here, there was a law that stipulated any new construction would need to set aside 12% of the sale price to go into a public housing fund. Guess what happened? No builder would build here, and it created a housing shortage. The city took that 12% requirement away, and builders came flooding back, but by then it didn't matter, house prices had already shot up like 60%.

I'm not saying don't set aside money for public housing by, btw.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Droo posted:

Yeah it's definitely the people working to pay rent who are comparable to the fat unemployed guy, rather than the rentiers who get money for essentially nothing because they already had money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I do, in fact. I saved until I had 100k in liquid cash to purchase a home in an area with a 4x salary-to-house ratio.

You guys need to get into local politics. A lot of the hosed up housing problems are created by very short-sighted policies at the city or county level. For example here, there was a law that stipulated any new construction would need to set aside 12% of the sale price to go into a public housing fund. Guess what happened? No builder would build here, and it created a housing shortage. The city took that 12% requirement away, and builders came flooding back, but by then it didn't matter, house prices had already shot up like 60%.

I'm not saying don't set aside money for public housing by, btw.

Yeah I read about that too. I think it was in Atlas Shrugged. Jon Galt made the speech and then the scene cut to all the construction vehicles rolling into town with people cheering and then it cut to newly built suburban houses with flowers and poo poo as far as the eye could see.

This whole thing could be observed over the course of a few years as opposed to the normal decades that housing policies usually take for observable effects.