Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Finally a new Extermination Day: https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/forum/thread/extermination-day-beta-001-download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, but Thief doesn't have the same comedy potential of repeatedly launching yourself to your death out of the respawn point. It's a shame SS2 doesn't keep your former bodies around.

Not directly related, but this also reminded me that if your movement speed was fast enough you could get air time off of the ramped walkways in the recreation deck just by running up them without touching jump. I think this was possible only with maxed agility, but if you added speed hypos to the mix I'm sure you could bump your head on the ceiling or something similarly hilarious.

The dark engine seriously had some great physics for the late 90s. It's not something you ordinarily think of for that era of gaming, but devs were experimenting and the jank was real.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/marisa_desu/status/1112657660682240000

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

timn posted:

Not directly related, but this also reminded me that if your movement speed was fast enough you could get air time off of the ramped walkways in the recreation deck just by running up them without touching jump. I think this was possible only with maxed agility, but if you added speed hypos to the mix I'm sure you could bump your head on the ceiling or something similarly hilarious.

The dark engine seriously had some great physics for the late 90s. It's not something you ordinarily think of for that era of gaming, but devs were experimenting and the jank was real.

LGS put a lot of work into physics, all the way back to Ultima Underworld and Flight Unlimited. In 1992, UUW supported basic collisions with static 3d models (this is how bridges were implemented) and almost everything in the dungeon could at least be picked up, carried around, and thrown, even if you couldn't interact with it otherwise. System Shock 1 expanded on this, adding object-object interactions (e.g. you could repeatedly throw a human skull at a crate and the crate would move as the skull bounced off it). No real effect on gameplay, but great for atmosphere.

I remember when HL2 came out there was a lot press talking about the ~unprecedented interactivity~ of being able to pick up pop cans and throw them at metrocops, but LGS beat them to the punch by over a decade.

That said, Thief's rope-climbing mechanics were and are awful. I mean, great concept, but when it takes a dozen quickloads to let go of a rope and step onto the ledge next to you something has gone wrong.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It took a long time for games to figure that stuff out. I remember flinging myself off ladders in Half-Life 1 all the time. It's probably because I didn't involve my hands in the climbing process at all since I had a gun and instead relied on super strong calf muscles to climb.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:allbuttons:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jumping off a ladder in an HL engine game to catch the ladder farther down, three inches before you crater yourself, is an art form lost on kids these days.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eh, DRLA has had that for years.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jumping off a ladder in an HL engine game to catch the ladder farther down, three inches before you crater yourself, is an art form lost on kids these days.

It's because ladders are water sectors! :eng101: I love under the hood stuff like this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Falling from an extremely high height only to curve off of a sharply sloped floor or surface via A/D surfing is the way pros avoid fall damage in Source engine games. Can't take damage from hitting the ground if you never technically hit the ground.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's because ladders are water sectors! :eng101: I love under the hood stuff like this.

In Half-Life? Ladders are their own separate entity, func_ladder

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The *crack-squish* *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* is forever etched into my brain. Maybe my soul.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My favorite thing about the new Insurgency game, besides the explosion shrapnel/physics, is that when your guy falls six inches to the ground, he goes "DAMNIT" or "gently caress" at the top of his lungs.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I can't believe Civvie lowered himself to the levels of playing Brutal Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdmmthb6-Z8

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finished Sunlust. Very pretty and stylish maps, glad to no longer be playing.

Arivia posted:

No End In Sight, maybe?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbpD4ht0NY

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

catlord posted:

Finished Sunlust. Very pretty and stylish maps, glad to no longer be playing.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

sunlust has some beautiful mapping but for reasons i don't understand i started to get pretty annoyed with it

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

BaconCopter posted:

I can't believe Civvie lowered himself to the levels of playing Brutal Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdmmthb6-Z8

I wasn't expecting such a positive video.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

juggalo baby coffin posted:

sunlust has some beautiful mapping but for reasons i don't understand i started to get pretty annoyed with it

Because one of its later maps has over a thousand monsters in it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I feel like you should expect to have a lot of monsters in an explicitly slaughter-oriented project

Now Hellbound didn't really need all that poo poo. Level 3 is like 300 monsters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

What it irks me (I believe Sunlust did this, although I'm not 100% sure) is that the player can't change the difficulty or tweak the experience to his tastes. The spawns are the same in Hurt my Plenty, as in Ultraviolence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

What it irks me (I believe Sunlust did this, although I'm not 100% sure) is that the player can't change the difficulty or tweak the experience to his tastes. The spawns are the same in Hurt my Plenty, as in Ultraviolence.

Sunlust's .txt on idgames lists support for different difficulties and suggests starting on HMP: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/sunlust

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:vince:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I... don't get it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Glagha posted:

I... don't get it

The Abominant there is the toughest boss in DRLA, with 4x the health of a normal Cyberdemon and a huge array of bullshit being stunlocked to death by the gun from Duke 2 in like 10 seconds. Always bet on the Duke.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

The Abominant there is the toughest boss in DRLA, with 4x the health of a normal Cyberdemon and a huge array of bullshit being stunlocked to death by the gun from Duke 2 in like 10 seconds. Always bet on the Duke.

It also dies with the Duke 2 boss death explosions/SFX, presumably as a special effect of that weapon. I had no idea it was even in DRLA.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

It also dies with the Duke 2 boss death explosions/SFX, presumably as a special effect of that weapon. I had no idea it was even in DRLA.

One of the alternate starts turns the whole game into Duke 2 3D.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Turin Turambar posted:

in fact, iirc some people (not slaughterheads) slagged Sunlust's HNTR for feeling too easy. Porridge too hot / too cold. I know that Stardate 20x6 didn't have a HNTR specific placement, though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Been watching AGDQ runs lately. Are there any good FPS ones you guys can recommend that aren't just people diagonal-running through the levels, not killing anything?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Plan Z posted:

Been watching AGDQ runs lately. Are there any good FPS ones you guys can recommend that aren't just people diagonal-running through the levels, not killing anything?

I mean, that's kinda tough since that's what a lot of fps speedruns are. I've always enjoyed the HL1 speedruns because they show off a lot of out-of-map exploits and abuse of game mechanics that I was intimately familiar with.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

half life 2 speedruns are always amazing and include a wide variety of fun tricks, including but not limited to bopping npcs on the head with books and other objects during scripted sequences to get them to teleport further along their set paths because the game freaks out and doesn't know what to do with them if a flat enough surface connects just right with the top of their model

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Plan Z posted:

Sorry, but you can't have a Jedi Knight run without that. Edit: Also, not really first person LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6nXSOPNgA

There is also a run by the same guy from a couple years earlier, I don't know if that one is better.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 2, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Plan Z posted:

If you haven't already, and you don't care that it's not from a GDQ, look for UV-Max or similarly named speedruns; 100% secrets runs have the running around and past stuff but you generally get to see a lot more of the game. There was an amazing Max run for Doom 2016 posted a while back that was infinitely more enjoyable to watch than the OOB-all-of-the-time regular speedruns.

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKGstMFFFc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kmxexii posted:

in fact, iirc some people (not slaughterheads) slagged Sunlust's HNTR for feeling too easy. Porridge too hot / too cold. I know that Stardate 20x6 didn't have a HNTR specific placement, though.

Maybe that was the one I was remembering. One of these mappers who does very pretty maps but they are super hard.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I mean, that's kinda tough since that's what a lot of fps speedruns are. I've always enjoyed the HL1 speedruns because they show off a lot of out-of-map exploits and abuse of game mechanics that I was intimately familiar with.

Yeah, I guess it'd be either down to cool/interesting tricks and/or some kind 100% kill or item or secret run.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's a review of the best Build Engine game ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXa8zW0cX14

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

This is cool. Why have they changed the their movement keys to ESDF?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SpaceAceJase posted:

This is cool. Why have they changed the their movement keys to ESDF?

That's probably just what they're comfortable with. Remember, WADS didn't become the standard until pretty late, and there are still people who stick with somewhat unusual control schemes they picked up in those days. I think Gabe Newell or Cliffy B still plays with ESDF, though I'd have to track down that article on the history of WADS to confirm my memories.

Edit: Here it is.

quote:

Interestingly, Valve boss Gabe Newell doesn’t use WASD. “I personally don't like WASD as it takes your hand away from your typing home keys,” he wrote in an email to PC Gamer. “I always rebind to ESDF.” Newell's not alone there. Do a little Googling and you'll find plenty of people arguing that ESDF is the more natural configuration.

More surprisingly, another Half-Life developer, level designer Dario Casali, also rejects WASD. Instead, he prefers ASXC. “It feels natural to me, where WASD feels odd,” wrote Casali. “But lots of people scoff at my config.”

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 3, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Quake 1 for my money is the funnest thing to watch. He has to kill things to get rocket jumps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQLJu5nNKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I use ESDF for games with a ton of weapons. Makes it easier to reach the far ones and 1/2 keys often are kinda poo guns.