Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Glenn Quebec posted:

As we get closer to the season we start getting more effort posts, earnestly like this and we are truly damned now

poo poo, man, you're right. let me try this again

dragon show bad, so what lol. a warg who warg into he own poo poo a shameful warg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Arya is awesome. Shame about her magic assassin storyline though

The same show that made a poignant point about how skill doesn't beat armor, size, and numbers had her do a kip up and fight one of the best, if not the best, fighter in the entire show to a draw with no armor and a sword the size of a corndog.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

CarpenterWalrus posted:

poo poo, man, you're right. let me try this again

dragon show bad, so what lol. a warg who warg into he own poo poo a shameful warg

Heh... nothing personnel brienne of tarth

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

The same show that made a poignant point about how skill doesn't beat armor, size, and numbers had her do a kip up and fight one of the best, if not the best, fighter in the entire show to a draw with no armor and a sword the size of a corndog.

They're totally bringing Syrio Forrell back at this point why not, it's not like anything you've established over the last 9 years matters

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The show ain't over until Zombie Robert kills Zombie Rhaegar on the Trident.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You know what? I'm just going to say it:

The show got bad about when the books did.
Storm of Swords was a fuckin hard act to follow, but at least the later books feel like we're in the same universe.

poverty goat posted:

If only someone had killed all the kids in game of thrones a few years ago the show would be much better now
kill Jon and Dany if you want to redeem the story.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Stark Kids are boring fuckers which is why I'm rooting for Cersei or the Iceman to win the whole thing

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Short hair Cersei is an ersatz long haired Cersei

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

im rooting for the zombie bug army to win it all

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm rooting for Cersei. Zombie man promised us ice spider and where the heck are my goddamn ice spiders D&D??? :mad:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You know what? I'm just going to say it:

The show got bad about when the books did.

I remember watching season 1 in 2011 and thinking "Hey, even if the fat man doesnt finish the books I think D&D know what they're doing and they'll be able to stick the landing if the show doesnt get cancelled. But lol it probably will be and I'll never get a loving ending"

That feeling trended downward with each passing season and plummeted like pets.com stock starting in season five. And now here we are folks, monkeys paw style, we have an ending

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ice spiders are too interesting, you get an undead ice-breathing dragon because this show needs castoff WoW bosses.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm rooting for Cersei. Zombie man promised us ice spider and where the heck are my goddamn ice spiders D&D??? :mad:

Found em:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1ogMJXOyU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that the main problem with the books, aside that Storm of Swords was a hard act to follow, was that instead of sticking with what characters he had left or maybe incorporating 1 or 2, GRRM decided to incorporate a whole new cast of characters and PoV so late in the game.

Like what consequential action can Euron Greyjoy have with only 2 books left where the Sparrows, the Boltons, the Wall and Daenerys coming to Westeros plot have still not been resolved?
There is a reason why the Euron = Daario theory even acquired momentum and it's because without it Euron is loving boring and inconsequential.

Likewise in the show, Euron was introduced even later and is a cartoon villain, which is why people were eager for the "kills Daenerys and have peasants throw poo at her, then self destructs killing all major characters" leak to be true. It would at least give him something

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

lezard_valeth posted:

I think that the main problem with the books, aside that Storm of Swords was a hard act to follow, was that instead of sticking with what characters he had left or maybe incorporating 1 or 2, GRRM decided to incorporate a whole new cast of characters and PoV so late in the game.

Like what consequential action can Euron Greyjoy have with only 2 books left where the Sparrows, the Boltons, the Wall and Daenerys coming to Westeros plot have still not been resolved?
There is a reason why the Euron = Daario theory even acquired momentum and it's because without it Euron is loving boring and inconsequential.

Likewise in the show, Euron was introduced even later and is a cartoon villain, which is why people were eager for the "kills Daenerys and have peasants throw poo at her, then self destructs killing all major characters" leak to be true. It would at least give him something

I distinctly remember — specifically during Feast and Dance — getting the feeling that Martin didn't really have any ending in mind. He had put together this political medieval drama together and it worked really well when it was tightly wound around about 10-20 various characters with different motivations and ideologies. But then he realized that he had to pad out another four books and didn't know what to do or how to end things, so he started throwing in new plot threads and all kinds of generic fantasy bullshit (and audiences eat that poo poo up because the average person hasn't played Warcraft or Dragon Age) and that threw the whole trajectory and tone of the story off by miles.

And as I've said before, he's got too many plates spinning now to even consider finishing the next book Lady Stoneheart, the Dornish uprising and fake Targaryen heir, Tyrion and Bronn paling around Old Valyria, Cersi's power struggle in KL, Sam's trip south, Sansa and Littlefinger among dozens of others that all he could do was say "well here's the general direction, D&D, have fun."

And that's how we get to where we are today.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They are going to have to wrap up so many plot threads per episode to not go out like :lost:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

big nipples big life posted:

She was cool before she turned into Naruto.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

lezard_valeth posted:

Let's have 18 chapters about the character with the least personality, tall knight lady

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ElGroucho posted:

Let's have 18 chapters about the character with the least personality, tall knight lady

Ahaha I ended up flicking through all them: "Oh look, it's ANOTHER chapter where Brienne rides around on a horse and fails to find the Stark sisters!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ahaha I ended up flicking through all them: "Oh look, it's ANOTHER chapter where Brienne rides around on a horse and fails to find the Stark sisters!"

same

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I feel for ole GRR. Can you imagine.the pressure?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone hasn't seen Ripper Street, it's worth checking out to see what almost all the GOT actors did in the off-seasons.

While the main guy isn't in GOT, his sidekick is Detective Sergeant Bronn. They pall around 1890s London solving crimes with the occasional help of Chief Inspector Blackfish and butting heads with Commissioner Roose Bolton and evil industrialist Barristan Selmy. The rest are mostly villains including child-kidnapping Hodor, Jorah Mormont robbing banks, and Tommen Baratheon, teenage pimp.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds fun

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If anyone hasn't seen Ripper Street, it's worth checking out to see what almost all the GOT actors did in the off-seasons.

While the main guy isn't in GOT, his sidekick is Detective Sergeant Bronn. They pall around 1890s London solving crimes with the occasional help of Chief Inspector Blackfish and butting heads with Commissioner Roose Bolton and evil industrialist Barristan Selmy. The rest are mostly villains including child-kidnapping Hodor, Jorah Mormont robbing banks, and Tommen Baratheon, teenage pimp.

And Detective Benjen!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ElGroucho posted:

I kinda liked the general idea of what Brienne's story was, this idealistic knight that has to face the harsh reality that the world is poo poo but still stands by her believes of whats right.

The problem was that, yeah, 18 chapters is waaay too much walking in circles and navel gazing.

I would keep the chapter where she meets her former love interest, the chapter where they arrive at the monastery and the chapter where they encounter Lady Stoneheart and then cut everything else out.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

lezard_valeth posted:

I kinda liked the general idea of what Brienne's story was, this idealistic knight that has to face the harsh reality that the world is poo poo but still stands by her believes of whats right.

The problem was that, yeah, 18 chapters is waaay too much walking in circles and navel gazing.

I would keep the chapter where she meets her former love interest, the chapter where they arrive at the monastery and the chapter where they encounter Lady Stoneheart and then cut everything else out.

I liked her chapters honestly but yeah

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the brienne chapters were full of backstory and really interesting allusions and the general thematic vibe of her chapters is real good but the actual prose is a loving slog to read and there's so much of it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XGd8w9RhUM

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I bet I could wrestle this idiot into the ground

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Remember the forgotten characters who will assuredly never be seen again in this bad show:

Salladhor Sahn who with any luck will be able to make love to Cersei at some point
Edmure Tully
Illyrio
Illin'Payne
Robin Arryn

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jokes posted:

Remember the forgotten characters who will assuredly never be seen again in this bad show:

Salladhor Sahn who with any luck will be able to make love to Cersei at some point
Edmure Tully
Illyrio
Illin'Payne
Robin Arryn

Ilyn Payne's actor was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so it's not a case that he was forgotten (though they probably would have).

Edmure Tully is particularly egregious cause they brought him back to resolve an inconsequential plot point in such a terrible manner that they might have as well had Ed Sheeran commenting it to Arya like "Oh yeah, the Blackfish eventually died. It was an awesome battle. Edmure now rules the Riverlands under supervision of the Lannister forces." to the same effect.

To your list I would add the warlocks of Qarth, though to be fair that whole storyline seems to also have died at the same point in the books as well.

Fingers crossed that Daario Naharis and the whole Slaver's Bay are forgotten as well. Have those 3+ years Daenerys spent dicking around turn out to be nothing but an optional side quest. But Daario will probably return with the Golden Company cause D&D can't resist the "scorned lover" trope.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lezard_valeth posted:

Ilyn Payne's actor was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so it's not a case that he was forgotten (though they probably would have).

Edmure Tully is particularly egregious cause they brought him back to resolve an inconsequential plot point in such a terrible manner that they might have as well had Ed Sheeran commenting it to Arya like "Oh yeah, the Blackfish eventually died. It was an awesome battle. Edmure now rules the Riverlands under supervision of the Lannister forces." to the same effect.

To your list I would add the warlocks of Qarth, though to be fair that whole storyline seems to also have died at the same point in the books as well.

Fingers crossed that Daario Naharis and the whole Slaver's Bay are forgotten as well. Have those 3+ years Daenerys spent dicking around turn out to be nothing but an optional side quest. But Daario will probably return with the Golden Company cause D&D can't resist the "scorned lover" trope.

I think the idea is that the warlocks of Qarth ended when Daenerys spiced him

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jokes posted:

I think the idea is that the warlocks of Qarth ended when Daenerys spiced him

But then in season 3 they adapted the scene where the warlock child tries to get Daenerys stung with a manticore and Barristan saves her.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Was that supposed to be a warlock thing or just a bog standard assassination attempt?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
In the books it was the warlocks. The show I don't remember if it's explicitly stated or not

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Man, the Blackfish dying offscreen infuriated me to no end. The show had a habit of dispatching badass characters, who mind you are still alive in the books, in disappointing ways. Barristan Selmy suddenly forgetting all his training and dying like a chump in an alley. Mance Rayder burns at the stake and they drop the whole switcheroo with Rattleshirt like in the book. I guess none of those characters mattered, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Hound said any idiot with a sword could have taken on 10 Meryn Trants or something.

What's the ratio for Barristan Selmys to teenagers with kitchen knives? 1:3 before he dies like an idiot?