Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

Remember when people were defending EA and Frostbite in this thread? Good times.

I remember getting flak for pointing out how bad Frostbite is way before Anthem was released. It was very irritating to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

At this point they might as well just set the DA4 release date for the end of the year and start up crunch mode. They can delay to February if necessary.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Gamers caused this dev abuse and should be punished.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a Bioware appreciation thread in the Dragon Age subreddit loving lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe BioWare can start a patreon so the fans can thank them directly!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Skull Knight posted:

:smith: How do you fix this? There must be some that are decent / aren't riddled with this much toxicity. :smith:

Unions. End insane crunches.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skull Knight posted:

:smith: How do you fix this? There must be some that are decent / aren't riddled with this much toxicity. :smith:

Find another line of work.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Kaysette posted:

Gamers caused this dev abuse and should be punished.

Isn't Anthem punishment enough?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When I asked for time off at my last (and only) AAA dev job (because I'd gone to the ER to avoid killing myself mid-crunch), they told me they couldn't do it because if they did they'd have to give all the other depressed people time off too.

e: also the ER had to discharge me because I was only a threat to myself, not others :v:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 2, 2019

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Years of employee abuse, culture of depression, very normal routine bathroom mental breakdowns to produce this pile of poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't work yourself to death because management really doesn't give a poo poo if you die. You're replaceable like everyone else.

Get into another line of work.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tetrabor posted:

Remember when people were defending EA and Frostbite in this thread? Good times.

Back Hack posted:

I remember getting flak for pointing out how bad Frostbite is way before Anthem was released. It was very irritating to say the least.

Nice thread retcons

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

teh_Broseph posted:

Nice thread retcons

Were you not here for the ICR hype machine where people were defending Frostbite because Battlefield was good and EA could do no wrong and it was all Bioware's fault?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Imagine Anthem with no flying.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
*Executive abuses employees, lays them off right before release, lets them rot producing trash exactly as they think it'll sell, gets disappointed regardless of the sales result, charges increasingly predatory fees, sells literal gambling to children*

"Its the gamers that are killing video games."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Despera posted:

Imagine Anthem with no flying.

Warframe exists.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's funny to me that apparently they can blow 5 years of time on basically nothing? ANd then just poo poo out the actual game in 16 months because suddenly everyone realized that they had jobs and had to deliver something. Reading that article it seems like they spent almost the entire development time sitting around milling on about concepts and "what if's"... only when the big bossman came around and demanded demo and said that it was poo poo from an rear end did they actually go "holy moley we gotta do something???"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not having guidance on what to do really really sucks because you're damned either way

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Crabtree posted:

*Executive abuses employees, lays them off right before release, lets them rot producing trash exactly as they think it'll sell, gets disappointed regardless of the sales result, charges increasingly predatory fees, sells literal gambling to children*

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Yeah this won't work mostly because America, and the fact a ton of Code Touchers are disgusting libertarians

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Crabtree posted:

gamers are still buying the crap execs are shoveling

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

Were you not here for the ICR hype machine where people were defending Frostbite because Battlefield was good and EA could do no wrong and it was all Bioware's fault?

Were people actually defending Frostbite of all things? Even when I was optimistic about the game I knew Frostbite was a garbage engine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Warframe exists.

archwings

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Siljmonster posted:

Unionize. Fire the bosses. Build actual structure to your development process and build something that doesnt need to impress a loving executive in another office in another part of the world.

The people making video games are all either extremely overworked and mentally ill because of it, or never do any actual work and thus cause the former to go nuts.

But the flying really is the only good thing about the game. In this instance this particular exec was right :classiclol:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yep as long as people keep buying thier hastily put together games there going to keep doing it. Maybe wait for the reviews before buying.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Frotbite's inability to do anything ambitious or interesting has just destroyed every studio that isn't DICE or the sports ones. The original ideas of Andromeda and Anthem are not impossible to do, exploration focused games and survival in wild environments are totally possible. But making the engine do anything that isn't rendering an environment, making physics calculations and shooting in first person seems like it's loving impossible.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tetrabor posted:

Yeah and for S&Gs I took 2 sec to find this page talking about Frostbite a couple days before release and uhhh I'm not seein it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859994&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=139. There was like, 1 or 2 posts that FB was good or OK in the middle of a bunch of complaints about performance not being good and people saying Bware picked Frostbite cause EA made everyone use it, and deffo no one giving flak, and framerates were the only thing even being mentioned about the engine. :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I mean it is Biowares fault as well. The article makes that very clear

EA didn't priorotize Anthem over FIFA but why would they? They did however give Anthem many MANY years to accomplish something and Bioware basically decided to not build on prior Frostbite experience and then just did nothing for 5 years UNTIL an EA executive came around and kicked their rear end

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 2, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zzulu posted:

EA didn't priorotize Anthem over FIFA but why would they? They did however give Anthem many MANY years to accomplish something and Bioware basically decided to not build on prior Frostbite experience and then just did nothing for 5 years UNTIL an EA executive came around and kicked their rear end

Yeah, this is absolutely true. Yes, Frostbite was a problem, but BioWare's mismanagement is frankly cartoonish at this point. That they could do the same poo poo--ideate and avoid committing to a design for five years then throw together a barely-working game in 18 months--three loving times in a row is utterly baffling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, that article..

It's pretty crazy how every single thing brought up in this article is easily assumed by anyone who spent 10-20 hours with this game. The disjointed story, the elements that feel like different groups working on individual parts without talking to each other, the lack of content requiring time-gating to prevent people from finishing the game in 10 hours or less, devs literally being prevented to use similar games in the genre as a baseline for what people expect out of it, Frostbite being a giant, lovely, square peg trying to be jammed into a round hole.. Every thing in this article is the least surprising thing in the world to read as someone who played a decent amount of the game but I'm really glad this article was made to confirm it all. There's too many sections to quote out of it but the one that made me smh the most was the "trying to make an unmemeable game" line because holy poo poo did they miss the mark on that one. I think ME:A will drift into the background as Anthem takes the forefront as a new shining example of just how badly game development can go despite having all the money in the world with some atrocious examples of mismanagement.

Edit: THEY WANTED THE TOMBS TO BE TIME GATED ACROSS MULTIPLE DAYS :psypop:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Respawn's Star Wars game is also running on frostbite. Its gonna be interesting to see how that ends up working out for them, and if they have as much trouble with it as Bioware.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still confused by them not putting a guaranteed masterwork in GM1 back

I can only assume there's just a Milton there left in the basement

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
There plenty of bad design choices that lay outside thier engine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Despera posted:

There plenty of bad design choices that lay outside thier engine.

“Gear Thing”

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Frostbite: Sexy Bad Engine

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I'm not saying it's all the engine's fault, and that twice in a row they've had an idea for a game that they kinda kicked around and didn't do much with until the last year and a half where they hastily throw together a boring action game is proof that they cannot manage projects; but

That they keep abandoning things that should be far from impossible, like procedural generation, shows how bad the engine is at general use. "We can't make a procedurally generated survival game, guess we gotta make a looter shooter" is a crazy trajectory of development. I'm not trying to absolve Bioware's management of anything, their bad decision making made Anthem the shootin' game way worse too; how boring the Scars are compared to how cool they could be is almost certainly because their lore and idea probably wasn't even finalized until all the characters had been modeled and animated. But considering it's been twice now that they found the engine just unworkable for an idea that's been done a bunch of times by other people shows there's something deeply wrong with that thing. It's 2019, "You're a nasa rear end spaceman trying to survive a hostile planet" isn't a revolutionary idea that's unthinkable with current technology or that requires more work than an open-world loot-based shooter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wamdoodle posted:

gamers are still buying the crap execs are shoveling

or not buying it, in the case of anthem

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still confused by them not putting a guaranteed masterwork in GM1 back

I can only assume there's just a Milton there left in the basement

That was a bug and they're back

wait, was this a trap to suss out someone who still logs into the game sometimes?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely true. Yes, Frostbite was a problem, but BioWare's mismanagement is frankly cartoonish at this point. That they could do the same poo poo--ideate and avoid committing to a design for five years then throw together a barely-working game in 18 months--three loving times in a row is utterly baffling.

Like imagine also being allowed to essentially wait out a game until deadline comes 5 years later and then cry about crunch that this particular team could have avoided in this specific instance. BioWare management is so bad it makes an EA exec look competent at their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’m going to stick with Anthem, not because the game is perfect and without flaw, but because those employees who put themselves through mental and physical hell to get this game out deserve as much. They deserve the chance to see their sacrifice pay off, and if sticking with the game helps realize that, then I’ll play my small part.