Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I doubt it. Offset piston pins are pretty standard. If anything they just made the valve cutouts symmetrical so the pistons can be the other way on the opposite side. Or they have two different pistons like plenty of other oem and aftermarket manufacturers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If this was an issue it would have been discovered years ago. Nobody is finding some "new" Achilles heel on a 996 or 997 in TYOOL 2019.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Cars sell for cheap on BAT sometimes right? :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Cars sell for cheap on BAT sometimes right? :v:

The 996 stuff is pretty variable. Base ones can be cheap. The GT3s, GT2s, Turbos are all overpriced on BaT, imo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

The 996 stuff is pretty variable. Base ones can be cheap. The GT3s, GT2s, Turbos are all overpriced on BaT, imo.

No one bid on the Spyder up ok?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It is always one bank that scores on a 997 isn’t it? Sure that’s what I read on some hartech 911uk thing. But I don’t get why they wouldn’t just symmetrise it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

No one bid on the Spyder up ok?

I love the color but the mileage means it's gonna have a premium.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

:sigh: Yeah.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So in my quest to find my perfect summer car, a 997 S ... I found one for private sale from someone that stores their car in a facility where my friend stores his Viper.

I contact the guy, and request pictures and receipts, he kindly sends me the bill of sale for when he purchased the car a year ago (2017)

I leveled with him and said I wasn't in a rush, but if the right car came along for the right price I would make a decision this summer

Long story short he paid $46k for it at the end of 2017, and was asking $46k for it now. I told him I'm not paying full pop so he could enjoy a year of free driving, basically

He wasn't budging on the price so my search continues.

I ask the question again, why are people so stuck that MY CAR IS THE BEST and it is totally WORTH max value... continually. That's not how used car sales work my dude

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

So in my quest to find my perfect summer car, a 997 S ... I found one for private sale from someone that stores their car in a facility where my friend stores his Viper.

I contact the guy, and request pictures and receipts, he kindly sends me the bill of sale for when he purchased the car a year ago (2017)

I leveled with him and said I wasn't in a rush, but if the right car came along for the right price I would make a decision this summer

Long story short he paid $46k for it at the end of 2017, and was asking $46k for it now. I told him I'm not paying full pop so he could enjoy a year of free driving, basically

He wasn't budging on the price so my search continues.

I ask the question again, why are people so stuck that MY CAR IS THE BEST and it is totally WORTH max value... continually. That's not how used car sales work my dude

Is it not actually worth $46k to you or is it a matter of principle that you don’t want to let the guy stay whole?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Is it not actually worth $46k to you or is it a matter of principle that you don’t want to let the guy stay whole?

I found a number of cars that are at least a few grand less, the trade off is his has pretty low mileage versus some of the others.

I'd split the difference and say it's not really worth anymore than $40k, if we are pushing it. But he also put a bunch of money into it after buying, so I understand he is trying to not get bent over the barrel on all that money spent... but the first rule of used cars is whatever you put into them is gone

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Blue On Blue posted:

I found a number of cars that are at least a few grand less, the trade off is his has pretty low mileage versus some of the others.

I'd split the difference and say it's not really worth anymore than $40k, if we are pushing it. But he also put a bunch of money into it after buying, so I understand he is trying to not get bent over the barrel on all that money spent... but the first rule of used cars is whatever you put into them is gone

A low mileage 997S has not lost value since 2017. If the seller put money into maintenance/repair on top of that, asking what he originally paid seems pretty fair.

You're getting tied up in semantics and not value.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

but the first rule of used cars is whatever you put into them is gone

That's simply not the case with cars like this and if the money is required periodic maintenance rather than running the thing in maintenance debt and kicking the can down to the next buyer. On you Corolla? Yes, that money is gone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

That's simply not the case with cars like this and if the money is required periodic maintenance rather than running the thing in maintenance debt and kicking the can down to the next buyer. On you Corolla? Yes, that money is gone.

It's a 997S, not a Carrera GT. You're not going to get back the money you spent on a brake job/oil change. There may be a bit priced in around the major maintenance intervals (40k, etc), but it's still another used car at the end of the day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

There may be a bit priced in around the major maintenance intervals

And that is exactly what I'm talking about here. There is a well defined service schedule. An educated buyer is going to want to see it's up to date on maintenance if you're asking for the kind of money that indicates it is.

And many buyers, myself included, will just pass on anything that has major deferred maintenance at the time of sale, because that probably indicates a whole lot about how it's been maintained (or not) in general by the PO.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

*crosses fingers*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A few years ago, I saw a silver one with close to 100k selling for 51k, and I thought that was too much back then. But that's my speed -- a driver with lots of miles with a price discount from it.
e: maybe it was 54k -- I got the 348 for 51k, and I thought and still think that was the right move.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 28, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

A few years ago, I saw a silver one with close to 100k selling for 51k, and I thought that was too much back then. But that's my speed -- a driver with lots of miles with a price discount from it.
e: maybe it was 54k -- I got the 348 for 51k, and I thought and still think that was the right move.

I always thought the general consensus among Porsche owners is typically , a bit more mileage is better anyways.

The cars should/need to be driven to keep all the nternals happy , so a 10-15 year old car could have lots of problems if it has low low mileage , because its sat for most of its life

Then again that could be an old wives tales like the ims issue most people think is so prevalent

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ended up getting outbid by $500. In retrospect, a blessing since I would have had to explain to my wife that I bought two cars today.

book
Nov 29, 2014
I test drove a 981 Cayman GTS, and it was fantastic. But for the price, I could get a 991.1 Carrera S. Looks like I have more test driving to do...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/334782

Oh god how much of a PITA would it be to get this from Toronto?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went to the Petersen Museum last week, they had a Porsche exhibition.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm checking that out next week!

Also: oh god oh God I think I'm buying it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Residency Evil posted:

Canadian models are already hard enough to find up here and you're taking one down south :argh:

post sooo many pics once you have it, and do a post showing off the differences between it and a standard boxster, would love to know more about them.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yea if I had the cash and presuming everything looks alright I'd be so down, desirable specs nice value just win baby

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yup, this is happening. Deposit sent.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Most Canadian cars are already federalized. That probably came from the states anyway. Congrats on upping your AI addiction level!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

:munch:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

You driving it back? Great way to practice putting the top up and down.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

You driving it back? Great way to practice putting the top up and down.

Yup, flying to Toronto and driving it back. I'll be driving a bit of the same road I took when I did the same thing to pick up my old Cayman.

Hopefully it doesn't rain. :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Congrats! Can you confirm it's a Canadian or US spec? Is it a kph native speedo?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Congrats! Can you confirm it's a Canadian or US spec? Is it a kph native speedo?

Canadian spec, but the only difference is the speedometer (per the letter I got from Porsche for import purposes) showing KPH. Thankfully there's a digital one as well that can flip between miles and kilometers which is fine and more useful. Everything else is identical and the car is fine for emissions purposes.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 3, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
From what I understand the 987s don't let you stream audio over bluetooth (a feature present on my Golf from back then, but hey). Are all bluetooth -> 3.5mm streaming adapters pretty much the same? Any better than the other?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

From what I understand the 987s don't let you stream audio over bluetooth (a feature present on my Golf from back then, but hey). Are all bluetooth -> 3.5mm streaming adapters pretty much the same? Any better than the other?

The 987s have the same garbage tier well-behind-the-times as the 957s and 997s, which is just a big of a pile as the 9x6 era stuff, minus the SIM card slot.

You can stick with that system and use a bluetooth adapter, or you could go with something like an Android head unit if nav is the kind of thing you're interested in. If you have Bose speakers/amps will will need a MOST (fiber) to RCA converter as well unless you want to re-wire/junk the amp and speakers. I ended up with a chinsium android thing in the Cayenne and it's better in every way.

I was using this until I got the new head unit: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...ps%2C122&sr=8-5

Avoid the ones that go bluetooth to FM - it's near impossible to make those FM adapters work reliably around us because of all of the radio stations. You'll get it working, drive 30 miles and it ends up garbage again.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Motronic posted:

Avoid the ones that go bluetooth to FM - it's near impossible to make those FM adapters work reliably around us because of all of the radio stations. You'll get it working, drive 30 miles and it ends up garbage again.

not if you jack it directly into the antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRU5UNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works pretty good so far (i didn't have a 3.5mm in my car)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

crazzy posted:

not if you jack it directly into the antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRU5UNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works pretty good so far (i didn't have a 3.5mm in my car)

The inline ones are definitely better, but often a huge pain in the rear end to install on most Porsches because you need the stuff the euro adapter back there along with everything else (it's the thing in the "frequently bought together" in your link). Cayennes have some room back there depending on which system is in them (the full nav units are huge), 911s and Boxsters are just painful.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Motronic posted:

The inline ones are definitely better, but often a huge pain in the rear end to install on most Porsches because you need the stuff the euro adapter back there along with everything else (it's the thing in the "frequently bought together" in your link). Cayennes have some room back there depending on which system is in them (the full nav units are huge), 911s and Boxsters are just painful.

yup, that's for sure, but sometimes you don't have many options with older cars...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

crazzy posted:

yup, that's for sure, but sometimes you don't have many options with older cars...

.....but when they have an AUX in you do, which is how this entire thing started.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have some amazon special FM bluetooth transmitter I bought on a boxing week lightening deal and it's truly a piece of flaming trash. Next time I'm in the garage cleaning up my bench it's going to go into the garbage, it's that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For Lexus without aux in, there was a guy that specializes in adding an aux in jack to the front or the back, a tiny push button switch on the front that looks factory, and then he solders the aux in directly to the FM radio part of the circuit. Push the button in and it's a direct input to the head unit, press it again and you have radio again. Probably someone doing that with Porsche head units too?