Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

i ring my bike bell all the time at some jagoff using their phone after a light has turned green, but it's often not loud but enough, have considered getting a comical squeezy bike horn

horns have occasional legit uses but probably 95% of their use is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

well if someone is merging right into you on the highway in heavy traffic you may not have another option. blind spots are a thing.

but I agree about horns in general, they are almost never necessary and they annoy those around them

I once had an idea that horns should yell something personal and embarrassing about the driver so they wouldn't be used except in true emergencies

See I would not qualify rush hour commuting as an emergency, but that's because ambulances can use diamond lanes and everybody else is just impatient. Wait a half hour, jerk!

Or, if you are in an ambulance and there's no diamond lanes or peak-hour tolls then yeah, I can see it. But either of those would be better solutions than giving every vehicle a 140db party favor.

Edit- bike bell also strikes me as weird but I have a loud voice, so I should consider that not everyone can scream to wake the dead. Interesting stuff.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

THEY'RE STILL HONKIN AND I'M STILL RETWEETIN

Also I made a Dutch baby and ate it out of the skillet sitting on my front porch angrily staring at them. I think living in the suburbs is really starting to get to me. I even was mildly concerned about the crabgrass this year. Someone save me.

BoldFrankensteinMir

hamjobs posted:

Also I made a Dutch baby and ate it out of the skillet sitting on my front porch angrily staring at them.

Oh my God! Does the Dutchman even know!?!?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Oh my God! Does the Dutchman even know!?!?

Only the milkman :wink:

Manifisto

See I would not qualify rush hour commuting as an emergency, but that's because ambulances can use diamond lanes and everybody else is just impatient. Wait a half hour, jerk!

Or, if you are in an ambulance and there's no diamond lanes or peak-hour tolls then yeah, I can see it. But either of those would be better solutions than giving every vehicle a 140db party favor.

Edit- bike bell also strikes me as weird but I have a loud voice, so I should consider that not everyone can scream to wake the dead. Interesting stuff.

well maybe you're not commuting maybe you're rushing to pick up an orphaned kitten who needs your love and attention right away DID YOU STOP TO THINK OF THAT YOU MONSTER

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

well maybe you're not commuting maybe you're rushing to pick up an orphaned kitten who needs your love and attention right away DID YOU STOP TO THINK OF THAT YOU MONSTER

Look that's the only reason I keep paying my bridge pass see in California even though I don't live there anymore

And also because I can't figure out how to turn it off on the website

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would really prefer if all car horns had to honk to the tune of Cry for Judas by the Mountain Goats.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I think we should move the horns to the driver's headrest, then make it so you can honk other people's horns but not your own.

Jaded Burnout

I think we should move the horns to the driver's headrest, then make it so you can honk other people's horns but not your own.

what's this about you honkin' yer own horn?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

what's this about you honkin' yer own horn?

Crank ya hog

Jaded Burnout

hamjobs posted:

Crank ya hog

I got caught shiftin' me gears on't bus t'other day

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

I got caught shiftin' me gears on't bus t'other day

My transmission just slipt outta gear occifer i wan't meanin nothin by it

Stoner Sloth

Thanks for making me welcome BYOB, I'll try not to let you down!

Not totally sure on how to post images yet... I did find a decent pic of the excellent dog I took a couple of years back. He's a bit fatter in it than he is now (I had to put the poor lil guy on a diet, made up for it by getting him really tasty treats though).

I do have a couple of other animal stories without pics though too... I looked after the main aquariums at a marine biology lab for awhile and also worked for a couple of years at a place milking snakes to make antivenom.

And sympathies to Hamjobs, had a taxi driver down the road doing that at 8 am this morning - I was fortunately awake but it was still dumb and annoying, particularly since the taxi must have had the persons phone number.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Manifisto posted:

I once had an idea that horns should yell something personal and embarrassing about the driver so they wouldn't be used except in true emergencies

I once had an idea that every vehicle should be equipped with two horns: the rear end in a top hat horn (which we already have and know all too well), and then you have the chill horn that sounds less obnoxious but is still plenty audible. The chill horn is for things like saying "hey i know u what's crappenin friend" or "i sincerely like your car" or "thanks for letting me get in front of you kind stranger" or "nice EKANSmobile, you are a cool guy".

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Jaded Burnout

opioid agonist posted:

I once had an idea that every vehicle should be equipped with two horns: the rear end in a top hat horn (which we already have and know all too well), and then you have the chill horn that sounds less obnoxious but is still plenty audible. The chill horn is for things like saying "hey i know u what's crappenin friend" or "i sincerely like your car" or "thanks for letting me get in front of you kind stranger" or "nice EKANSmobile, you are a cool guy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

YESSSS THISSSS

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

just use imgur.com for images right click the image after you upload and press "copy image url" if it doesn't end in .png / .jpg etc it's not going to work right. The forums should automatically add the [img] tags around the URL for you if it's an image that's properly linked. Don't just hot link to a site that isn't an image hosting site, it's a violation of the forum rules (unless you own that site, but still why use your own bandwidth?).

sig by owlhawk911

Stoner Sloth

Thanks pixaal - hope I haven't mucked it up:

https://i.imgur.com/GaJwLMw.jpg

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Greetings Stoner Sloth, I like your commercials, they're really bad.

xcheopis

Stoner Sloth posted:

That is a darling dog!

Stoner Sloth

Munchables posted:

Greetings Stoner Sloth, I like your commercials, they're really bad.

Haha, yeah awesomely bad... popular wisdom suggests the ad agency were a bunch of stoners taking the piss out of the government of the day. Mostly though was just a good excuse to punch some cones with mates and laugh at the sheer awfulness of it every time the ad came on.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Just a reminder, that doggo survived Y2K- not many of his people can say the same

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Munchables

I am craving nicotine but we're on day 4 or 5, this is the longest I've gone in a while.

Stoner Sloth

xcheopis posted:

That is a darling dog!

Thank you! His name is Tiger and he's very sweet - loves everyone and just wants pats and foods. He used to be an excellent escape artist - would headbutt a welded steel door open and run away when my brother was out. Inevitably he'd go find someone's house who had a dog, get to play with their dogs and get some food and either wait to get picked up when we found him or else escape from there and run back home. Happened so often that the council basically came around and checked the premises and said 'okay, nothing you can do to stop him getting out - we'll stop fining you' to my bro.

These days he's just a chiller - he is deaf and eyesight ain't so good any more but he'll happily follow along and be part of what everyone else is doing. Still have to watch him though cause he's the sneakiest food thief - was out of the room for all of thirty seconds the other day and he managed to swipe a packet of delicious beef jerky. Also when my brother got him he had no white hair at all - time makes fools of us all though I guess and I can't talk since I look more like Santa every day.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Munchables posted:

I am craving nicotine but we're on day 4 or 5, this is the longest I've gone in a while.

Have you tried second hand smoking? I've been doing that a lot and wow I actually think it might work. I don't like the smell anymore and I still get a "smoke break" but it genuinely does nip the cravings.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Stoner Sloth posted:

I'm appreciating this good doggo, omg

Look at his feetsies

alnilam

wat a good dawg

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

wat a good dawg

that dawg is cool as hell. going to properly post the image here for those that didn't click the link:

stonedsloth next time you post an image make sure to put [ img] [ /img] tags around it

alnilam

lol

alnilam

hoo roo that dog's a top bloke innit

Stoner Sloth

Love the image and thanks for the tip - I'll do that in the future, I tried it in a preview and it made the image huge though so was worried it'd mess up.

Good for me to learn cause we get a lot of Aussie wildlife here that I can hopefully put up pictures of some time - mostly koalas and ring tail possums but also eastern brown snakes, blue tongue lizards, foxes, lots of awesome birds and the occasional kangaroo. We did have a couple of echidnas around the area too but they're pretty rare to find here - have mostly seen little ones out at night and moved them away from the roads.

And trying to get the pond in the backyard filled up with stuff - hoping to get some frogs back again and have been stocking it with little fish and yabbies (fresh water crayfish type things) so hopefully get some shots of them too once it's up and running.

Oh and Tiger got up earlier and was hassling me for food so I gave him a treat and told him that he was the bestest boy, then he went for another nap.

pixaal

if it's too big change it to timg and /timg for "tiny image" (It's actually thumbnail image but tiny is easier to remember) it will let you expand the image

like this

sig by owlhawk911

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Stoner Sloth posted:

Love the image and thanks for the tip - I'll do that in the future, I tried it in a preview and it made the image huge though so was worried it'd mess up.

Good for me to learn cause we get a lot of Aussie wildlife here that I can hopefully put up pictures of some time - mostly koalas and ring tail possums but also eastern brown snakes, blue tongue lizards, foxes, lots of awesome birds and the occasional kangaroo. We did have a couple of echidnas around the area too but they're pretty rare to find here - have mostly seen little ones out at night and moved them away from the roads.

And trying to get the pond in the backyard filled up with stuff - hoping to get some frogs back again and have been stocking it with little fish and yabbies (fresh water crayfish type things) so hopefully get some shots of them too once it's up and running.

Oh and Tiger got up earlier and was hassling me for food so I gave him a treat and told him that he was the bestest boy, then he went for another nap.

if it's too big just use [ timg] and [ /timg] to make it into an enlargeable thumbnail

edit: :eng99: beaten by seconds by pixaal

pixaal

we're just too helpful here it's okay

sig by owlhawk911

Stoner Sloth

Ah cool, thanks to both of you!

Jaded Burnout

Stoner Sloth posted:

When I was in Melbourne I by chance found someone going up to a park at night to feed the possums which I didn't even know were there, and definitely wasn't expecting the GIANT BATS circling overhead. Super cool.

pixaal posted:

if it's too big change it to timg and /timg for "tiny image" (It's actually thumbnail image but tiny is easier to remember) it will let you expand the image

like this

Also you can add `h` (for "huge") or other sizes before the .png and imgur will resize it for you, like this:

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 3, 2019

Munchables

hamjobs posted:

Have you tried second hand smoking? I've been doing that a lot and wow I actually think it might work. I don't like the smell anymore and I still get a "smoke break" but it genuinely does nip the cravings.

I'm actually quitting e-cigarettes/nicotine in general, I quit actual cigs like 4 years agoish, so this is the next step.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Munchables posted:

I'm actually quitting e-cigarettes/nicotine in general, I quit actual cigs like 4 years agoish, so this is the next step.

gently caress yessss

Congrats buddy, you got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

Yeah those big bats are cool - usually flying foxes (fruit bats). When I used to live in NSW as a kid, over in Newcastle, we had a giant old morten bay fig tree in the back yard and had hundreds of them come around at night making a huge racket and hanging out.

We don't get so many big bats around here but we do get lots of tiny little insect eating ones that use echolocation - you can see them flapping around hunting at dusk and dawn especially, usually just outside the streetlights illumination as they pick off the bugs attracted to the light.

e: Also thanks for the extra help, I definitely need it!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 3, 2019